[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

My findings:

I've run xbench in 64bits and in 32bits, and they are almost identical.

My previous Leopard installation was way more stable than my current SL. It is not that SL runs bad at all, but in leopard never had a single app crash.

I dont know way I still feel that Leopard was snappier.... but I'll give SL a couple of weeks more...

I still have the sound issue, if there's nothing that makes sound for a while I get hum noise through the speakers... I don't know way, but I suspect that the sound card goes to sleep if there's no sound and hence the hum noise.... it pretty annoying....

Anyway, great thread my friends! :thumbsup_anim:

Sir,

Have you tried the VOODOOHDA kext or only the ALC kext? I have tried both, and when using the ALC kext, my sound sucked, though I am now using the VoodooHDA kext & everything works out great. Just a idea... I don't really know the in & out of kexts, but I understand trial & error. :)

Peace

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?...o7db8roc5

I was thinking about creating a new guide but I did not get much time to do that. Let me know what issue you have in installing I can help you....

If I get some time...I will do create that Guide...

Ok, no problem.

No big issue at this time of installation.

-PS2 mouse didn't work during installation and still doesn't work in the installed OSX but USB does as well as PS2 keyboard.

-RTC is set to GMT (I'm GMT+2) in bios every time I boot to OSX. Regional parameters seems to be good in OSX and displayed time in menu bar is correct.

EDIT: found the solution for the clock pb here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/12/dual-b...ng-demystified/ (see Section 2.a - Troubleshooting & Multi-boots => Time synchronization)

As I have an HD4670 in my P5QL-E, I still boot with -x option until I'll upgrade to 10.6.2 (next step in my installation). This might be the reason of my little problems. So, I'm waiting until I finished the complete install of my ATI card before spending time to finely tune the system. If I can't get QE working for iMovie and Final Cut, there's no need for me to keep OSX on my system.

Regards.

Sir,

Have you tried the VOODOOHDA kext or only the ALC kext? I have tried both, and when using the ALC kext, my sound sucked, though I am now using the VoodooHDA kext & everything works out great. Just a idea... I don't really know the in & out of kexts, but I understand trial & error. :rolleyes:

Peace

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?...o7db8roc5

GREAT! VoodooHDA did the trick! Now the sound works as spected!

TNX!

Ok, no problem.

No big issue at this time of installation.

-PS2 mouse didn't work during installation and still doesn't work in the installed OSX but USB does as well as PS2 keyboard.

-RTC is set to GMT (I'm GMT+2) in bios every time I boot to OSX. Regional parameters seems to be good in OSX and displayed time in menu bar is correct.

EDIT: found the solution for the clock pb here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/12/dual-b...ng-demystified/ (see Section 2.a - Troubleshooting & Multi-boots => Time synchronization)

As I have an HD4670 in my P5QL-E, I still boot with -x option until I'll upgrade to 10.6.2 (next step in my installation). This might be the reason of my little problems. So, I'm waiting until I finished the complete install of my ATI card before spending time to finely tune the system. If I can't get QE working for iMovie and Final Cut, there's no need for me to keep OSX on my system.

Regards.

Sir,

This might be of interest to you... It looks like your ATI card will definitely work, just need to fine tune it! Just some information to maybe boost your spirits! :rolleyes:

Peace

http://netkas.org/?p=297

http://netkas.org/?p=284

Well, here is the first real problem. Everything was fine until step 8.

I can't install any update. The installation process failed during the file writing step, sometimes at the beginning of the update, sometimes near the end.

This happens with the combo 10.6.2 update downloaded from www.apple.com as well as the 10.6.3 update automatically applied with the software update process.

What happens ? There's not description of the problem. Is there any way to enable some verbose installation flag so I can have more information ?

Note: I installed on an 2,5" Sata drive plugged into an e-Sata dock station (Thermaltake Blacx Duet). This may be the reason of the problem. I'll try to install again on the 4th partition of my main HDD (1=Win7, 2=Win 7 Programs, 3=Win7 Documents).

I also had an idea: is it possible to install the update on the Installation USB drive *before* using this drive to install the system (somewhere between step 4 and step 5 for example) ?

Thank you for your help so far.

Regards.

Well, here is the first real problem. Everything was fine until step 8.

I can't install any update. The installation process failed during the file writing step, sometimes at the beginning of the update, sometimes near the end.

This happens with the combo 10.6.2 update downloaded from www.apple.com as well as the 10.6.3 update automatically applied with the software update process.

What happens ? There's not description of the problem. Is there any way to enable some verbose installation flag so I can have more information ?

Note: I installed on an 2,5" Sata drive plugged into an e-Sata dock station (Thermaltake Blacx Duet). This may be the reason of the problem. I'll try to install again on the 4th partition of my main HDD (1=Win7, 2=Win 7 Programs, 3=Win7 Documents).

I also had an idea: is it possible to install the update on the Installation USB drive *before* using this drive to install the system (somewhere between step 4 and step 5 for example) ?

Thank you for your help so far.

Regards.

You need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from the Extension folder in Extra/Extension before running the update......Did you do that....?

Also if you have already done that then you can try to use the FakeSMC2.5 Version kext

You need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from the Extension folder in Extra/Extension before running the update......Did you do that....?

Also if you have already done that then you can try to use the FakeSMC2.5 Version kext

I've read carefully the guide and searched for SleepEnabler.kext but couldn't find it in E/E nor in S/L/E. Is there anything wrong with that ?

FakeSMC2.5 comes by default with myHack, right ? Since I didn't overwrite any existing kext when unzipping the Robert_Xes_Kexts.zip file, I believe I still have FakeSMC 2.5. How can I check that ? Is the file name different or only it's content ?

I may also try this procedure found here:

1. First thing you have to do is Disable Sleep in System Preferences, Click the Yellow light bulb, Move both sliders all the way to the right and Un-Check the two tick boxes.

2. Goto /System/Library/Extensions and delete the SleepEnabler.kext

3. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility in the Application/Utilities folder.

4. Goto /System/Library and delete the mkextcache file at the bottom.

5. Next delete all the stuff inside the /Library/Caches folder, /System/Library/Caches folder and the "User"/Library/Caches folder

6. Reboot, Now you should be ready to apply the 10.6.3 Combo Update v.1.1 located in the link below.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

I've read carefully the guide and searched for SleepEnabler.kext but couldn't find it in E/E nor in S/L/E. Is there anything wrong with that ?

FakeSMC2.5 comes by default with myHack, right ? Since I didn't overwrite any existing kext when unzipping the Robert_Xes_Kexts.zip file, I believe I still have FakeSMC 2.5. How can I check that ? Is the file name different or only it's content ?

I may also try this procedure found here:

1. First thing you have to do is Disable Sleep in System Preferences, Click the Yellow light bulb, Move both sliders all the way to the right and Un-Check the two tick boxes.

2. Goto /System/Library/Extensions and delete the SleepEnabler.kext

3. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility in the Application/Utilities folder.

4. Goto /System/Library and delete the mkextcache file at the bottom.

5. Next delete all the stuff inside the /Library/Caches folder, /System/Library/Caches folder and the "User"/Library/Caches folder

6. Reboot, Now you should be ready to apply the 10.6.3 Combo Update v.1.1 located in the link below.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

In myHackInstaller FakeSMC 2.0 is included, you can try to use the FakeSMC 2.5 from here

In myHackInstaller FakeSMC 2.0 is included, you can try to use the FakeSMC 2.5 from here

I tried with fakeSMC2.5 and also the procedure in 6 steps I mentioned above. No way. Install still fails.

My new idea is to use a retail 10.6.2 iso instead of a 10.6 to build the usb installation drive, so I don't need to update. Do you think that this will be possible ?

I tried with fakeSMC2.5 and also the procedure in 6 steps I mentioned above. No way. Install still fails.

My new idea is to use a retail 10.6.2 iso instead of a 10.6 to build the usb installation drive, so I don't need to update. Do you think that this will be possible ?

You can try to boot with -x and then try to install the Update.....

You can try the 10.6.2 iso

Hi, i've been trying for a couple of days to install OSX 10.6.0 on my P5QD TURBO but can't suceed...

I tried with two ext usb devices:

-HDD Hp personal media drive 500GB, restored with the retail dvd image and parched, i reach to see the apple logo after loading darwin but nothing more happens

-Samsung 8gb flash, did the same but anything happens, the screen goes black and says error loadin OS

Some technical data:

- P5QD TURBO

- Pentium IV 3.0 GHz Socket 775

I don't know what to do i flashed bios with the modified one called P5QD Asus TURBO 0301_by smith@@.ROM.zipTWICE...

Please heeeeeeeeelp!

BTW, nice tutorial!

Hi, i've been trying for a couple of days to install OSX 10.6.0 on my P5QD TURBO but can't suceed...

I tried with two ext usb devices:

-HDD Hp personal media drive 500GB, restored with the retail dvd image and parched, i reach to see the apple logo after loading darwin but nothing more happens

-Samsung 8gb flash, did the same but anything happens, the screen goes black and says error loadin OS

Some technical data:

- P5QD TURBO

- Pentium IV 3.0 GHz Socket 775

I don't know what to do i flashed bios with the modified one called P5QD Asus TURBO 0301_by smith@@.ROM.zipTWICE...

Please heeeeeeeeelp!

BTW, nice tutorial!

Try to load with the HP Drive, I think myHackInstaller was not installed properly, redo the steps

Also try to load the OS with -x

I did the -v after loading up DVD CD, it did all of the diagnostic messages, now it just restarts...

I have a IDE DVD Rom

I just installed a SATA DVD Drive, i tried to run the -v (F8) with iPC and it does all of the diagnostic messages, then it restarts

My PC spec is

Intel Core 2 Quad - 2.4 GHZ 4 Cores

6 GB DDR2 800MHZ

1.3 TB HDD (2 Drives SATA)

512 MB Nvidia GeFoce 9600GT

Asus P5Q Deluxe

I did the -v after loading up DVD CD, it did all of the diagnostic messages, now it just restarts...

I have a IDE DVD Rom

I just installed a SATA DVD Drive, i tried to run the -v (F8) with iPC and it does all of the diagnostic messages, then it restarts

My PC spec is

Intel Core 2 Quad - 2.4 GHZ 4 Cores

6 GB DDR2 800MHZ

1.3 TB HDD (2 Drives SATA)

512 MB Nvidia GeFoce 9600GT

Asus P5Q Deluxe

Try to run it with -x

Desparate guys here.... Really desparate, 10x Install fail..

Spec:

ASUS P5QL-PRO

Proc C2D E8400 3GHZ

Sapphire HD 4870

Corsair CMX2 2x 2GB

Kext Loaded:

ALL Based on the tutorials.

BIOS:

P5QL Asus PRO 1004 by smith@@

Try OLD Bios also fail.

ACPI 2.0 Enable, AHCI, S3

Problem.

I can boot, but when its comes to the end of installation its always showing fails! and need to restart, read from others forum/blog its normal, but after restart to DISK I cant pass the:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Try Put Radeon HD 4870 Kext, then its the boot stop in Atasinc..... after ACPI SMC.

I've just build this PC, based spec from:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0#Asus

Seems not worky for me.

Really appreciate if someone can advise me

I just did -x and it does the same thing, restart the computer after it's done with all of the messages.

Do i have to download the retail version of SL or modified one for this tutorial?

For this tutorial you need to have a Retail Image

Desparate guys here.... Really desparate, 10x Install fail..

Spec:

ASUS P5QL-PRO

Proc C2D E8400 3GHZ

Sapphire HD 4870

Corsair CMX2 2x 2GB

Kext Loaded:

ALL Based on the tutorials.

BIOS:

P5QL Asus PRO 1004 by smith@@

Try OLD Bios also fail.

ACPI 2.0 Enable, AHCI, S3

Problem.

I can boot, but when its comes to the end of installation its always showing fails! and need to restart, read from others forum/blog its normal, but after restart to DISK I cant pass the:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Try Put Radeon HD 4870 Kext, then its the boot stop in Atasinc..... after ACPI SMC.

I've just build this PC, based spec from:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0#Asus

Seems not worky for me.

Really appreciate if someone can advise me

Have you tried to boot with -x

Try the new FakeSMC 2.5