[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

Yes, all on same drive. MBR formatted, 3 partitions as mentioned before.

I don't understand why it doesn't work apart from the 1st partition is NTFS and the drive is MBR... doest this have any effect? I will try EFI.

MyHackInstaller1.0.1 is released...those who were having problems with the earlier version of myHackInstaller can try the new one.

Installed, same.

boot0: done

boot1: error

Anyone know what boot0 and boot1 is?

I have 4 SATA HDDs, 1 SATA DVD and no IDE.

that error it's done by a wrong booting priority, it means that your hard disk is trying to load windows and not mac bootloader.... or something like that lol

i don't actualy know how to solve it... the best way was if you installed mac on a difrent HD or if you made 2 partitions for mac... 1 for the bootloader and 1 for mac, but i'm not sure it would work either ;)

you can try EFI, or dedicate 1 usb drive to myHackinstaller from witch you could boot mac every time

Installed, same.

boot0: done

boot1: error

Anyone know what boot0 and boot1 is?

I have 4 SATA HDDs, 1 SATA DVD and no IDE.

Remove the boot file from the root and then install Chameleon or PC EFI once again and then try to boot. I think this should definitely work for you...

If that does not work then download partedmagic and boot partedmagic and then open the partition manager and then set flag = Boot for you Snow Leopard partition.

If that does not work then try the steps mentioned in the following thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

RoberT_XeS

Can I ask you... why did you recommend people to flash their BIOS with modified one?. I'm already own of one this family motherboards, and it supports cst technology and acpi v2 power management out of the box. We just need to enable them in BIOS. So its not needed anymore for SleepEnabler, OHR or Evo, as well as Voodoo pm related kexts. :)

Thanks for all your advice but I tried all sorts and nothing seemed to work.

I have now finally solved my booting issue by booting from the Windows 7 installation disc and using the System recovery to repair the boot sector on the HDD. This only worked for me as I had Win7 installed before Snow Leopard. If anyone else finds themselves in a similar position just boot from the Windows 7 installation disc, choose language [next], Repair your computer and let it do it's thing. Guide.

For more complex operations you can also use MS command line Diskpart. Guide.

Once you got that sorted, install EasyBCD. Simples.

hey i fixed (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

i used fakesmc 2.5 netkas

i enabled acpi 2.0 in bios

i used modified EvOenabler for 4870

it work 24hrs stable now

Thank you Robert for a time and guide

my HW:

intel c2d e8400 stock

p5q pro modded bios by juzzi (not old)

shappire radeon 4870 512mb

hey i fixed (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

it work 24hrs stable now

Thank you Robert for a time and guide

my HW:

intel c2d e8400 stock

p5q pro modded bios by juzzi (not old)

shappire radeon 4870 512mb

Can you please upload the EvOenabler.kext here so that other users can use them or let them know how to modify that kext.

Also did you put that kext in the Extra > Extension folder while installing snow leopard ?

RoberT_XeS

Can I ask you... why did you recommend people to flash their BIOS with modified one?. I'm already own of one this family motherboards, and it supports cst technology and acpi v2 power management out of the box. We just need to enable them in BIOS. So its not needed anymore for SleepEnabler, OHR or Evo, as well as Voodoo pm related kexts. :)

I have tried to install Snow Leopard on P5Q without the modified Bios and it never works. I am not comfortable with DSDT hence I take the easy way out i.e to flash the Bios with the Modified Bios... and it works perfectly. I have flashed my bios more than 20 times now and I never had any issues.

You can take a look at the following guide all of them have used modified Bios

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186856

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188371

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183627

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...185231&st=0

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184880

Anyway I am ready to learn if you can show me the way how to install Snow Leopard without modifying the Bios.

Suggestions are always welcomed here.....

first of all, thank you so much for the great guide robert! got my hacki with leo run like a charme thanks to your guide :-)

now i´m thinking about "updating" to snow leo and want to know, if snow leo run in 64 bit mode with the p5q and inte c2d cpu? has anybody experience with that?

Can you please upload the EvOenabler.kext here so that other users can use them or let them know how to modify that kext.

Also did you put that kext in the Extra > Extension folder while installing snow leopard ?

its already modified i used http://www.kexts.com/view/160-modified_evo...for_4870hd.html

graphic card is working also when installing i got welcome video played :|

yes i put them in E/E :(

i updated normaly 10.6.3

tnx again Robert

first of all, thank you so much for the great guide robert! got my hacki with leo run like a charme thanks to your guide :-)

now i´m thinking about "updating" to snow leo and want to know, if snow leo run in 64 bit mode with the p5q and inte c2d cpu? has anybody experience with that?

Yes 64 Bit works without any problem

OK, I wiped the slate clean and tried again and everything is 100% working now :unsure:.

My problem before was the pesky 100MB System Partition that Windows 7 creates on install (if you let Win7 installer free on your hdd!). Somehow that was messing everything up for me - I now have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard running 100% from the same drive with Chameleon boot loader. I had to manually install Chameleon as the myHack still didn't work but I'm so happy!!!

Thanks RoberT

OK, I wiped the slate clean and tried again and everything is 100% working now :) .

My problem before was the pesky 100MB System Partition that Windows 7 creates on install (if you let Win7 installer free on your hdd!). Somehow that was messing everything up for me - I now have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard running 100% from the same drive with Chameleon boot loader. I had to manually install Chameleon as the myHack still didn't work but I'm so happy!!!

Thanks RoberT

Congrats....Good to know that

for anyone else getting the boot0 errors, it's caused when trying to boot a disk without a valid bootsector. reinstalling your bootloader will tend to fix it. also see papasmurph's example when dualbooting from the same drive (with Win7 as primary partition).

and fyi, Chameleon's installer is known to be less than perfect, so use the manual install (Google for guide)

I have tried to install Snow Leopard on P5Q without the modified Bios and it never works. I am not comfortable with DSDT hence I take the easy way out i.e to flash the Bios with the Modified Bios... and it works perfectly. I have flashed my bios more than 20 times now and I never had any issues.

You can take a look at the following guide all of them have used modified Bios

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186856

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188371

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183627

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...185231&st=0

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184880

Anyway I am ready to learn if you can show me the way how to install Snow Leopard without modifying the Bios.

Suggestions are always welcomed here.....

Of course it's possible w/o moded BIOS. I've done it as IDE or AHCI (x32/x64) as well w/o DSDT patching to make OSX running first time. At last dsdt fix is needed, to make SL Retail running stable and to add some important futures. I decompiled some of these BIOSes incl. cartri's one and I can't call them fixes, except for HPET, the rest are just flowers. But, the real problem is that: if they added 0/8 IRQs to HPET, there should be removed as well from TMR/RTC(should not be used in the same time). There are some very important futures for OSX, coded in our BIOSes and disabled by default. PM me about details. ;)

For Asus P5Q-E users:

For the SoundMAX onboard audio chipset, use VoodooHDA.kext

For the 1st (top) LAN use skge.kext

For the 2nd LAN use LegacyAppleYukon2.kext

There is also a detailed guide for P5Q-E that addresses issues relevant to the P5Q family here

Of course it's possible w/o moded BIOS. I've done it as IDE or AHCI (x32/x64) as well w/o DSDT patching to make OSX running first time. At last dsdt fix is needed, to make SL Retail running stable and to add some important futures. I decompiled some of these BIOSes incl. cartri's one and I can't call them fixes, except for HPET, the rest are just flowers. But, the real problem is that: if they added 0/8 IRQs to HPET, there should be removed as well from TMR/RTC(should not be used in the same time). There are some very important futures for OSX, coded in our BIOSes and disabled by default. PM me about details. ;)

Can you please provide us with some kind of guide or may be some steps so that we can follow?

Can you please provide us with some kind of guide or may be some steps so that we can follow?

OK, there are some steps to do:

1. Go to Advanced Menu/CPU Configuration. Change Intel® C-State Tech. to [Enabled].

This will add native power management support for CPU.

2. Then in Power menu, change ACPI 2.0 Support to [Enabled].

Will add additional tables in FACP(are used by OSX and w7).

3. Save changes and restart.

Note: use retail osx only. In Extra folder should be fakesmc/network/audio(not voodoohda)/sata(for IDE) kexts only. To enable SBRG/LPC, use kext provided.

AppleLPCfix.kext.zip

OK, there are some steps to do:

1. Go to Advanced Menu/CPU Configuration. Change Intel® C-State Tech. to [Enabled].

This will add native power management support for CPU.

2. Then in Power menu, change ACPI 2.0 Support to [Enabled].

Will add additional tables in FACP(are used by OSX and w7).

3. Save changes and restart.

Note: use retail osx only. In Extra folder should be fakesmc/network/audio(not voodoohda)/sata(for IDE) kexts only. To enable SBRG/LPC, use kext provided.

I will give it a try.....Thanks

Yep, this did the trick for me as well. Just finished my install. Haven't installed all of my drivers yet, or set the boot disk without using USB boot.

Will post later tonight with all of my install details.

P5Q Pro will work with this guide if you replace fakesmc with 2.5 netkas, and I simply added EvOenabler to the extensions folder, left everything else that was advised, using Juzzi 1611 bios flash.

Note - did not use the updated MyHackInstaller.

Also, need to re-install so I get 64-bit install. Anyone with the know-how feel free to chime in, will be checking thread for replies.

Thanks to everyone for all of their hard work and support!

Voted YES to poll.

hi, im new on this so please be patient.

i have leopard running using your guide with ideneb, but im having troubles with this one, so im hoping you can help me.

first, my ATI 4670 will work 100%?

second, i understand that you can use a partition on your HDD instead of a usb drive as in the guide. can you explain the creation of that partition and how to boot from it (i dont have a usb drive with 8Gb, i have 2 HDD, one with Win7 an other to install snowlp. this second drive has 1 partition with 100Gb free and other partition with data)

thks ;)