[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

i still got the same problem even i install to another empty hardisk

i using Mac OS X Snow Leopard_10a432_userdvd version

restore it to a external hard drive using VM Mac OS X 10.6.2

any 1 know what problem with this error?

Have you tried booting it with -x

As you are dedicating the entire disk for Mac....partition it with GUID and then try to install Snow Leopard...

hi!

In STEP 7:

1. boot usb (to open the boot menu)?

2. And than select disk with installed os X

Than It should boot into os X? and than in OS X run myHackInstaller1.0.1?

Please respond as soon as you can!

Tnx!

Yes.....you need to boot into Snow Leopard

hi!

When I boot into OS X my RAM was 667MHz and SHUTDOWN and RESTART didnt work :S

So I installed kexts in "STEP 7.7"

EvOreboot.kext is to resolve the restart problem

OpenHaltRestart.kext to resolve the Shutdown and Restart issue

SMBIOSResolver.kext ---- If your memory details are not properly shown in the Profiler

And now my RAM is 800MHz but is should be 1066Mhz?? What now?? :(

And Restart and Shutdown does not work :S ( LOG OUT WORKING :whistle: )

help :)

hi!

When I boot into OS X my RAM was 667MHz and SHUTDOWN and RESTART didnt work :S

So I installed kexts in "STEP 7.7"

EvOreboot.kext is to resolve the restart problem

OpenHaltRestart.kext to resolve the Shutdown and Restart issue

SMBIOSResolver.kext ---- If your memory details are not properly shown in the Profiler

And now my RAM is 800MHz but is should be 1066Mhz?? What now?? :(

And Restart and Shutdown does not work :S ( LOG OUT WORKING :whistle: )

help :)

easy fix try the search button

HI! It took a lot of trial & error to install 10.6.x.

I´ve followed this guide, but got a retail 10.6.3 and never got even to the install scren, got always stuck in the "Preparing files" screen.

Anyway, tried to install from a retail 10.6 and finally after almost 10 hours trying different installation procedures, this guide was the best (only had to use the alternative FakeSMC).

Now some questions:

1. As I´ve read that SL was about speed first I´ve run xbench to see if there was any speed increase. I was very surprised to see that when leopard gave me 217 points, now SL gave me 178! And they where installed at the same partition in the same drive (each one at their time of course).

2. At the System Information I see that under Software it says "64bits extensions: No".

How do I enable the 64 bits? Maybe are the 32bits extensions the speed drag?

Just for the record, after installation updated to 10.6.2 with no problems (following netkas directions).

THANKS!

PS: Needless to say how great this site is!

HI! It took a lot of trial & error to install 10.6.x.

I´ve followed this guide, but got a retail 10.6.3 and never got even to the install scren, got always stuck in the "Preparing files" screen.

Anyway, tried to install from a retail 10.6 and finally after almost 10 hours trying different installation procedures, this guide was the best (only had to use the alternative FakeSMC).

Now some questions:

1. As I´ve read that SL was about speed first I´ve run xbench to see if there was any speed increase. I was very surprised to see that when leopard gave me 217 points, now SL gave me 178! And they where installed at the same partition in the same drive (each one at their time of course).

2. At the System Information I see that under Software it says "64bits extensions: No".

How do I enable the 64 bits? Maybe are the 32bits extensions the speed drag?

Just for the record, after installation updated to 10.6.2 with no problems (following netkas directions).

THANKS!

PS: Needless to say how great this site is!

Navigate to the following location in Finder:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

From there, find this bit of text:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

And add arch=x86_64 between the <string> tags, so that you have this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

Save the file, and reboot your machine. If you have a (capable) Mac, you will see "Yes" in System Profiler, instead of "No".

Edit: I have realized, that in System Profiler, it may still display "No".

You can check if you are running 64-bit by default, by checking Activity Monitor, and next to each process, if it's enabled as 64-bit, it will say "Intel (64-bit)".

This would not be displayed if you were not running the 64-bit kernel, to my knowledge.

You can also view it in System Profiler by clicking "Extensions", which will display most, if not all, of them as 64-bit enabled.

Navigate to the following location in Finder:

From there, find this bit of text:

And add arch=x86_64 between the <string> tags, so that you have this:

Save the file, and reboot your machine. If you have a (capable) Mac, you will see "Yes" in System Profiler, instead of "No".

Edit: I have realized, that in System Profiler, it may still display "No".

You can check if you are running 64-bit by default, by checking Activity Monitor, and next to each process, if it's enabled as 64-bit, it will say "Intel (64-bit)".

This would not be displayed if you were not running the 64-bit kernel, to my knowledge.

You can also view it in System Profiler by clicking "Extensions", which will display most, if not all, of them as 64-bit enabled.

Wow thanks robert that was fast!

In activity monitor most procceses figures out as 64bit. So I guess i´m running on 64 bits.

I´m still confused about xbench showing me less performance....

On the other hand, on leopard I had internal sound working perfectly, but now on SL after installing ALC1200_1062 kext I have it working, but when the the os just booted and I´m on the desktop, I hear hum noise through the speakers, then with the firs sound triggered by any event the hum goes away, I hear sounds, and them if there´s no mo sounds for a moment the hum returns.... pretty annoying.....

I hope I explain myself right as english is not my primary language.... THNKS!

Wow thanks robert that was fast!

In activity monitor most procceses figures out as 64bit. So I guess i´m running on 64 bits.

I´m still confused about xbench showing me less performance....

On the other hand, on leopard I had internal sound working perfectly, but now on SL after installing ALC1200_1062 kext I have it working, but when the the os just booted and I´m on the desktop, I hear hum noise through the speakers, then with the firs sound triggered by any event the hum goes away, I hear sounds, and them if there´s no mo sounds for a moment the hum returns.... pretty annoying.....

I hope I explain myself right as english is not my primary language.... THNKS!

To verify that your system is running in 64 bit mode, you have to look specifically @ kernel_task, because one of the beauties of OSX is that a 64 bit application can run on a 32 bit kernel... so the Intel (64 bit) needs to be next to the kernel_task (just arrange processes by hierarchy.

Peace.

hi!

When I look in "About this mac" and "More Info.." it is displayed that I have "Intel 3.0 GHZ Xeon" procesor, BUT I HAVE CORE2DUO 3.0 "E8400". How can I fix that?

Xpeed1337

I suspect that is only a cosmetic issue, and the easy way that I know how to fix this is by the following:

If you are using chameleon....

1. download Lizard (available @ Voodoo labs forum under chameleon side projects)

2. Set up a SMBIOS via Lizard's GUI and manually tell it your processor...

3. Make sure the SMBIOS is placed in the correct folder

/Extra/SMBIOS

I hope this helps!

Peace.

To verify that your system is running in 64 bit mode, you have to look specifically @ kernel_task, because one of the beauties of OSX is that a 64 bit application can run on a 32 bit kernel... so the Intel (64 bit) needs to be next to the kernel_task (just arrange processes by hierarchy.

It looks something like this.....

activitysnapshot.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kernel_task says INTEL only (no 64), so? I´m running in 32bits mode?

It looks something like this.....

activitysnapshot.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kernel_task says INTEL only (no 64), so? I´m running in 32bits mode?

Exactly... your Hackintosh SL install is currently only running in 32 bit @ the kernel... so only 32 bits of information is being transferred @ a time, instead of the 64 bit...

Though, if you do add the strings as Robert mentioned, that should boot you into 64 bit assuming your processor / mobo support it!

Best of luck,

Peace

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9532/sc...100531at100.png

Exactly... your Hackintosh SL install is currently only running in 32 bit @ the kernel... so only 32 bits of information is being transferred @ a time, instead of the 64 bit...

Though, if you do add the strings as Robert mentioned, that should boot you into 64 bit assuming your processor / mobo support it!

Oh, forgot to say it´s, obviously, an ASUS P5Q, with Core2Quad Q9400 processor, so I guess it´ll support 64bits.

I´ve edited my com.apple.Boot.plist as Robert said, but in activity monitor I see there are no changes, I mean kernel_task still doesn´t has "Intel64" legend next to it....

Hello and thanks a lot for this great tutorial. I'll start installing SL on my PC today.

I have an Asus P5QL-E mobo and an ATI Radeon HD4670 gc. So, I suppose I have to use PC EFI 10.6 instead of MyHack if I want to avoid black/corrupted screen problems.

Can you tell me if the entire step 5 of your tutorial must be replaced by the installation of PC EFI 10.6 or if there are still some things to do from this step ? Maybe step 5.5 (Robert_Xes_Kexts) and below ?

Also, what should I take care of when installing PC EFI ?

Can you help me choosing the kext I need for my system ? Here are my components details:

- Mobo: Asus P5QL-E (Intel ICH10)

- CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

- RAM: 2x 1Go DDR2 PC6400

- Audio: Realtek ALC888

- Lan: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114

- Controler: JMicron JMB36X

I've already updated my bios with v1005 by Juzzi (downloaded v1104 by smith@@ if needed).

I'll proceed with an external USB HDD as the source OSX SL media. Destination will be a new partition in the existing Windows 7 HDD.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Oh, forgot to say it´s, obviously, an ASUS P5Q, with Core2Quad Q9400 processor, so I guess it´ll support 64bits.

I´ve edited my com.apple.Boot.plist as Robert said, but in activity monitor I see there are no changes, I mean kernel_task still doesn´t has "Intel64" legend next to it....

Ok... well, can you take a photo of your com.apple.boot.plist and load it up? That would help some... maybe see the discrepancy.

Peace.

Ok... well, can you take a photo of your com.apple.boot.plist and load it up? That would help some... maybe see the discrepancy.

Peace.

Strange... looking for the file to post it here found two things:

1. There's another com.aplle.Boot.plist under HD>EXTRA and it looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Notice the <string>arch=i386</string>, maybe it has something to do?

2. When I went directly to HD>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES the com.apple.Boot.plist was somehow corrupted as it had almost no text in it.

I've restored a backup I've made before editing it to add the text between strings but I'm a little busy right now to reboot, will do it later and let you know...

TNX!

Chameleon reads the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra. If it doesn't find one there, it reads the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.

You should leave the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ unmodified and just use the one in /Extra.

Here's a clean com.apple.Boot.plist: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Notice the <string>arch=i386</string>, maybe it has something to do?

Yes, if you want to boot in 64-bit mode, you need to delete that. Just leave the string empty.

Chameleon reads the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra. If it doesn't find one there, it reads the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.

You should leave the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ unmodified and just use the one in /Extra.

Here's a clean com.apple.Boot.plist: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Yes, if you want to boot in 64-bit mode, you need to delete that. Just leave the string empty.

Thanks for the file! Anyway I've already made a backup before editing it so I've restored it.

I'm using myHack (couldnt get chameleon to boot SL). I'll modify the one in EXTRAS and let you know.

Now, is there any REAL advantage in booting in 64bits? Besides the ability to acces more than 4gb ram....

TNX!

-myHack is Chameleon

-You don't need to be running in 64-bit mode to use more than 4GB RAM on a Mac/Hack running Snow Leopard

-It's /extra, not /extras (this is important, if the folder is named extras, Chameleon will not access it).

Read more about 32 vs 64-bit mode on Snow Leopard here, it's not the same as in Windows:

http://www.osxbook.com/blog/2009/08/31/is-...ow-leopard-k64/

-myHack is Chameleon

-You don't need to be running in 64-bit mode to use more than 4GB RAM on a Mac/Hack running Snow Leopard

-It's /extra, not /extras (this is important, if the folder is named extras, Chameleon will not access it).

Read more about 32 vs 64-bit mode on Snow Leopard here, it's not the same as in Windows:

http://www.osxbook.com/blog/2009/08/31/is-...ow-leopard-k64/

oppps the extra S was a typo.

Still dont see any REAL advantage to force SL into 64bits....

My only concern is that i fill (and see) that SL is not faster than my previous leopard installation....

Yeah, everyday performance seems pretty much the same. I don't use my Hackintosh for anything really intensive like editing huge video/audio projects or anything so I couldn't tell you if 10.6 is really faster than 10.5.x or not.

oppps the extra S was a typo.

Still dont see any REAL advantage to force SL into 64bits....

My only concern is that i fill (and see) that SL is not faster than my previous leopard installation....

Speed between SL & Leopard is definitely noticeable in some aspects. I have a Macbook, that came with Leopard installed, and since upgrading to SL, I have noticed it is much quicker when booting cold, and when waking and when opening larger programs, like iTunes (assuming you have multi GBs of music...)

Based on this, I definitely recommend booting in 64 bit, verses 32 bit, especially since all programs will still work! ;)

Gotta love Mac OSX, and the ability of a 32 bit program to operate on a 64 bit kernel!

Peace, and I am glad you were able to figure it all out!

I am thinking of creating a new guide without the myHackInstaller since I see that the success rate is just 60% with this Guide...... The new guide will be up this weekend....It will be somewhat similar to my Leopard 10.5.8 Retail Guide

Those who are not able to install Snow Leopard with this Guide... no need to worry..... my new Guide should work for you people....

Hello Robert,

thanks a lot for this guide, it really helped me to understand a lot of things regarding Mac OS X.

I can't find your new guide metionned above. Can you give the link, please ?

Regards.

Speed between SL & Leopard is definitely noticeable in some aspects. I have a Macbook, that came with Leopard installed, and since upgrading to SL, I have noticed it is much quicker when booting cold, and when waking and when opening larger programs, like iTunes (assuming you have multi GBs of music...)

Based on this, I definitely recommend booting in 64 bit, verses 32 bit, especially since all programs will still work! :thumbsup_anim:

Gotta love Mac OSX, and the ability of a 32 bit program to operate on a 64 bit kernel!

Peace, and I am glad you were able to figure it all out!

My findings:

I've run xbench in 64bits and in 32bits, and they are almost identical.

My previous Leopard installation was way more stable than my current SL. It is not that SL runs bad at all, but in leopard never had a single app crash.

I dont know way I still feel that Leopard was snappier.... but I'll give SL a couple of weeks more...

I still have the sound issue, if there's nothing that makes sound for a while I get hum noise through the speakers... I don't know way, but I suspect that the sound card goes to sleep if there's no sound and hence the hum noise.... it pretty annoying....

Anyway, great thread my friends! :)

Hello Robert,

thanks a lot for this guide, it really helped me to understand a lot of things regarding Mac OS X.

I can't find your new guide metionned above. Can you give the link, please ?

Regards.

I was thinking about creating a new guide but I did not get much time to do that. Let me know what issue you have in installing I can help you....

If I get some time...I will do create that Guide...