[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

Hi all i have some problems while dual booting windows 7 n SL

I have 2 Sata HDD:

HDD1:

partition 1 is 200mb of EFI (I dun quite know y it was there and for wat)

partition 2 is windows 7

partition 3 is SL

partition 4 is NTFS for storage

HDD2:

partition 1 is windows XP

partition 2 is NTFS for storage

installation history:

1. windows XP was installed long ago

2. used Juzzi to create boot CD to install SL, everthing worked just fine including dual boot with XP

3. installed windows 7

problems now are:

1. I can't boot with HDD, whether by SL or 7. Tried fixing boot manager using 7 installation Dvd, but in vain

2. I can only boot juzzi boot CD, it comes up with options of windows XP n 7, select xp's boot manager, then select win 7 in orde to go into windows system

question is: I plan to reinstall SL, but how do I retain win7 while removing all others partitions including the 200mb partition? ( coz I m afraid if I remove xp I will nvr boot

into 7 again)

My system:

P5q pro

q8400

XFX radeon 4870

thanks for the time

3. SL KP at

Hi all i have some problems while dual booting windows 7 n SL

I have 2 Sata HDD:

HDD1:

partition 1 is 200mb of EFI (I dun quite know y it was there and for wat)

partition 2 is windows 7

partition 3 is SL

partition 4 is NTFS for storage

HDD2:

partition 1 is windows XP

partition 2 is NTFS for storage

installation history:

1. windows XP was installed long ago

2. used Juzzi to create boot CD to install SL, everthing worked just fine including dual boot with XP

3. installed windows 7

problems now are:

1. I can't boot with HDD, whether by SL or 7. Tried fixing boot manager using 7 installation Dvd, but in vain

2. I can only boot juzzi boot CD, it comes up with options of windows XP n 7, select xp's boot manager, then select win 7 in orde to go into windows system

question is: I plan to reinstall SL, but how do I retain win7 while removing all others partitions including the 200mb partition? ( coz I m afraid if I remove xp I will nvr boot

into 7 again)

My system:

P5q pro

q8400

XFX radeon 4870

thanks for the time

3. SL KP at

The 200 MB partition is the windows partition created by windows itself. Thats why I always use Partedmagic live CD to create partitions.

Use parted magic to give the boot flag to Snow leopard partition and then see if you can boot....

The 200 MB partition is the windows partition created by windows itself. Thats why I always use Partedmagic live CD to create partitions.

Use parted magic to give the boot flag to Snow leopard partition and then see if you can boot....

hi thanks for the reply, I will try Tat later.

can I add boot flag to win 7 instead of xp n SL?as I m more of a win user.

can I add SL in the boot list using easybcd so Tat they will dual boot?

(sorry abt my noob question coz I met more dual boot issues than installation)

hi thanks for the reply, I will try Tat later.

can I add boot flag to win 7 instead of xp n SL?as I m more of a win user.

can I add SL in the boot list using easybcd so Tat they will dual boot?

(sorry abt my noob question coz I met more dual boot issues than installation)

Yes you can use Easy BCD.....USE EasyBCD 1.7.2 version......as new version of EasyBCD did not work for me......

Yes you can use Easy BCD.....USE EasyBCD 1.7.2 version......as new version of EasyBCD did not work for me......

hi robert

I used partedmagic, found Tat the boot flag was at 200mb partition

I proceed to set boot flag to win 7, but it stated boot manager was not found when boot

then I tried to reverse it back, but Noe it doesn't boot at all, all partitions r not booting...

Partedmagic has shown the 200mb and win 7 area was GPT partition, I think it was due to

the mess I created during installation of SL

sad to say I m doing reinstall of win 7 now, if it is not working I will hv to

format the drive back to mbr I stead of GPT.

my installation method: janvier 2010 bootcd + usb install

boot using bootcd, select my installation usb when chameleon showed up, the boot up stopped at "mac framework successfully initialized"

to get pass this, i have to boot into windows 7 first, then restart (no shutdown, just restart), then i can pass "mac framework successfully initialized" and reach SL installation page.

any1 knows why so? this is frustrating as even after i hv completed the installation, i will have to boot twice to get into SL else everytime stuck at mac framework.....

or any1 can recommend me another bootcd that will work for P5Q pro? there r several other bootcd links i can find in this forum but all broken....

my system:

P5Q PRO (tried original 2002 and smith modded 2102, both same stuck at same place)

XFX ATI 4870

Hello all,

I'm trying to make my hackintosh working for few weeks now and I cannot find what mistakes I'm making. I read all the pages here, made research in the other forums but, no case such as mine.

Long story short: i made install first time and here what I got: first_boot.jpg

the solo thing got me worried so I started to look for cpu patch but no success and I decided to reinstall and now I get kp on boot from the usb:

kp_on_hackintosh.jpg

I am not too good in this stuff but i see acpicpu 3&4 disabled. How come? and is this the reason I cannot load the installation and how can I fix it? I'm sorry for the many questions and ohh silly me my configuration is asus p5qpl-vm epu, intel c2 duo e7500 @2.93ghz, 4gb ram ati 5700 (but for the installation i have it removed).

Please help me bringing back my sleep and happiness :unsure:

i met this before, wat i did was just change another version of bootcd...

now my version of bootcd works very good, can boot directly into snow or win 7

but when i install easybcd, it gives me appleintelcpupower kp... replace nullcpupower but in vain...

i met this before, wat i did was just change another version of bootcd...

now my version of bootcd works very good, can boot directly into snow or win 7

but when i install easybcd, it gives me appleintelcpupower kp... replace nullcpupower but in vain...

Only Install EasyBCD 1.7.2 .....Other versions are not proper...

Followed the steps of this guide got to the part where the usb stick goes into the computer, clicked boot - i see ihack and then the grey apple logo screen but after that loads it all goes black, i think this is due to my 260gtx card but after searching i cant see any simple answers to make it work.

is it simply a kext i need (ive tried nvenabler) or is it something else thats a bit more complex?

thanks

edit

tried graphics enabler with =yes

and also tried natit nvenabler and nvinect kexts with no joy

EDIT 2

evoenabler kext stopped the screen going black but the install is failing only a minute in and asking to restart and try agian?

EDIT 3

taken off language and print drivers in customize and the install is going ahead further... i'll report back with anymore issues and leave the edits up as this may help someone with a blank screen, black screen or nvidia 260 gtx card also i used the line -x -v -cpus=1 (i have a q6600)

EDIT 4

ok so with 8 minutes remaining on the install and only a small amount of the bar left it came up with an Install Failed box - mac osx could not be installed on your computer ect.. click restart to restart your computer and try again.... stuck again if anyone can help :D

p5q pro

q6600

8gb ram

260 gtx

EDIT 5

ok so i used the usb to boot to the drive and it loaded... osx is up - is there anyway to see how stable it is

Ok so im struggling to find a way to get the boot option to work, I've done easybcd but i cant find the drive letter in the list only the windows c: and other drive partitions that are no good.

if i restart it gives me the 2 options i click osx, and i see a little green chamelion but it doesnt work and does the apple error restart screen.. can anyone help me :)

Ok so I've done the EasyBCD option but cant see the drive letter of my osx install..

I think this problem might be due to me using GUID for the OSX install...

is there anyway to set it up with this layout?

EDIT

it can boot into osx if i do f8 and select the disk... bah! why doesnt it show in bcd :unsure:

Is it alright to use a Mac OSX 10.6 install DVD that came with a laptop. I have one from a 13-inch Macbook Pro. Will it give me problems since its not retail?

I believe you will get problems as thats an oem disk designed for that laptop, I say this on the basis of trying to use an oem disk on another mac and it failing because its a cut down install.

Hi,

I tried to install but I failed during Step 6. Everything is fine and then I got a panic (cpu 0 caller 0x475588): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/bsd/kern/kern_xec.c:3146

I use a P5Q with E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2,66GHz. What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks

Followed the steps of this guide got to the part where the usb stick goes into the computer, clicked boot - i see ihack and then the grey apple logo screen but after that loads it all goes black, i think this is due to my 260gtx card but after searching i cant see any simple answers to make it work.

is it simply a kext i need (ive tried nvenabler) or is it something else thats a bit more complex?

thanks

edit

tried graphics enabler with =yes

and also tried natit nvenabler and nvinect kexts with no joy

EDIT 2

evoenabler kext stopped the screen going black but the install is failing only a minute in and asking to restart and try agian?

EDIT 3

taken off language and print drivers in customize and the install is going ahead further... i'll report back with anymore issues and leave the edits up as this may help someone with a blank screen, black screen or nvidia 260 gtx card also i used the line -x -v -cpus=1 (i have a q6600)

EDIT 4

ok so with 8 minutes remaining on the install and only a small amount of the bar left it came up with an Install Failed box - mac osx could not be installed on your computer ect.. click restart to restart your computer and try again.... stuck again if anyone can help :D

p5q pro

q6600

8gb ram

260 gtx

EDIT 5

ok so i used the usb to boot to the drive and it loaded... osx is up - is there anyway to see how stable it is

The last error message is common....Nothing to worry about........It is stable......

Hi,

I tried to install but I failed during Step 6. Everything is fine and then I got a panic (cpu 0 caller 0x475588): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/bsd/kern/kern_xec.c:3146

I use a P5Q with E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2,66GHz. What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks

Try booting with -x -v cpus=1

Can someone help me with choosing the right kext for a 260gtx and also setting up my boot menu so it finds my snowleopard install.

ive tried easybcd but it doesnt show the guid partition in the list to select

i can boot into snowleopard via f8 and clicking the hard drive no problemo but thats a hassle!

:( thanks

I'm having some sound problems. I have a P5Q Deluxe, and so far, the only way I can get any sound is using the generic VoodooHDA kext. The AppleHDA kexts modified for my AD2000B sound processor don't seem to do anything. However, I can't get any sound through SPDIF using VoodooHDA. Only using the line-in input. Any ideas on how I can get SPDIF working?

SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL 10.6.X FOR P5Q MOTHERBOARD SERIES AND OTHERS

This guide should work for all ASUS P5Q Series Motherboards

USB Method....MBR Support Included

STEP 1: REQUIREMENTS

If your Motherboard bios is not included in the link below then you can request Shamux or Smith@@ to modify Bios for you

1. Modified Bios : Here or Here

2. USB / Flash Drive: 8 GB or External HDD or a 8 GB Partition on you Internal HDD

3. Working Leopard 10.5 or any working Mac. If you do not have one then follow the guide here

4. SNOW Leopard Retail Image 10.6.0 (Do not use the latest image)

STEP 2: FLASHING BIOS

1.You can find Modified Bios for P5Q Motherboards Here

2. Save the modified Bios File to USB Flash Drive or Floppy disk or on your HDD.

3. After reboot press "DELETE" to enter setup

4. Go to section TOOLS > mark ASUS EZ Flash2 > press Enter > press OK

5. Press "TAB" > Select a key "Down arrow" or "Up arrow" saved on a floppy disk or flash-drive or HDD and select the modified Bios file

6. Press �ENTER�.

7. Select "OK" > press "ENTER"

8. System will erase the old BIOS and will write the new one

9. And in 5 seconds will automatically reboot

STEP 3: LOADING BIOS OPTION

CHANGE THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION IN BIOS TO AHCI. (Please note that windows might not boot if you do not have AHCI Drivers installed on Windows. Please follow the steps here under AHCI Mode if you want to install AHCI Drivers on Windows)

Also make sure that the Firewire option is Enabled in the Bios.

Suspend Mode: S3

Also Enable ACPI 2.0 in the Bios if you are struck in (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService) while booting

STEP 4: RESTORING RETAIL IMAGE FILE

1. Log into your working Leopard Machine.

2. Plug in your USB Drive

3. Open Disk Utility (FINDER > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility)

4. Right click on the USB Drive and select Partition

5. In volume scheme select 1 Partition and name it as MAC OS X Install DVD

6. Select the Format as Mac OS Extented (Journled)

post-271572-1269076498_thumb.png

7. Now Click on Options and Select GUID Partition Table or MBR Master Boot Record and then click on Apply. (I prefer MBR)

8. Now its time to verify the Snow Leopard Retail Image you have

9. Click on Images Menu at the top and then select Scan Image for Restore

post-271572-1269076594_thumb.png

10. Select the Image File and then click on Scan

post-271572-1269076584_thumb.png

11. Now select the MAC OS X Install DVD (USB Drive) Partition and click on Restore

12. In the source select the image that you just scanned

13. In the destination drag and drop the USB drive named MAC OS X Install DVD

post-271572-1269076575_thumb.png

14. Now click on Restore. This will restore the SNOW Leopard Retail Image File to the USB drive

STEP 5: VERY IMPORTANT

1. Now download myHack Installer 1.0.1 from here or here Thanks to Scott aka “Conti

2. Now run the file myHack_Installer_1.0.1.mpkg and then continue. You can also use new package myHack 1.1

3. Click on Change Install Location and select the USB Drive and then click on Continue

post-271572-1269076606_thumb.png

4. Now click on Customize and select the options as shown in the image below.

post-271572-1269076464_thumb.png

5. Once done please extract the RoberT_Xes_Kexts.zip file.(If you are using myHack 1.1 then do not replace FakeSMC)

6. Copy the kexts inside and paste it to USB Drive > Extra > Extensions (use only those kexts which you need. For kext information used in my pack....Click Here )

7. This will replace the original kexts with my kexts

8. If the FakeSMC included in my package does not work for you then use FakeSMC 2.5 kext.

post-271572-1269076561_thumb.png

9. Now Reboot your System

If you want Dual Boot with Windows 7 then you can do the partition as I did. Refer to my Parition style at the Bottom of this post.

STEP 6: INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD

1. Reboot your Machine and keep on pressing F8.

2. This will give you an option to select Boot Drive

3. Select the USB Drive

4. Type in -x -v and then press Enter

5. Follow the instructions and you will get an option to select the Drive in which you want to install Snow Leopard

6. Run Disk Utility and then right click on the Drive which you want to erase and then select Erase.

7. Now close Disk Utility and then select the drive which you just formatted and then continue.

8. Now click on Customize and then unselect Language Translations and Printer Drivers.

9. Once done, restart the computer.

Troubleshooting Steps (If you face any problem while trying to Install)

While installing Snow Leopard, if you are receiving a kernel Panic then you can try the old modified Bios instead of the new ones.

Enable ACPI 2.0 in your Bios if you are stuck in (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out) and use FakeSMC 2.5 from here (Thanks to piromanneo for this solution)

If you are getting Blank or Black Screen while trying to install because of your ATI Graphics card or some newer NVIDIA Graphics card then click here

You can try to boot with -x -v cpus=1 if you are facing problems to get the installation to start

Those who are having ATI Cards / Newer NVIDIA Cards and stuck in (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)...... or if you are getting a Blank or corrupt screen then please copy EVOEnabler.kext in to USB Drive > Extra > Extensions folder and then boot with -x or -x -v to resolve the issue

STEP 7: MAKING YOUR SNOW LEOPARD BOOTABLE

1. Boot using your USB Drive

2. This time select the drive in which you have Snow Leopard installed, type in -v and then press Enter

3. Now run the file myHackInstaller1.0.1.mpkg and then continue

4. Click on Change Install Location and select the Drive in which you have Snow Leopard Installed and then click on Continue

5. Now click on Customize and select the options as shown in the image below.

post-271572-1269076464_thumb.png

6. Once done please extract the RoberT_Xes_Kexts.zip file

7. Copy the kexts inside and paste it to SNOW Leopard > Extra > Extensions (This time use only those kexts which you need. For kext information used in my pack....Click Here)

7. This will replace the original kexts with my kexts

8. Now Reboot your System

Those who are not able to boot Snow Leopard using the myHackInstaller can try

PC EFI 10.6 or Chameleon RC4 from here

Even after trying the above steps if you are still not able to boot from the Snow Leopard Drive then follow the below steps

1. Repair the boot using Windows Vista / Windows 7 DVD and then boot into your windows or you can download PartedMagic Live CD and boot into Parted Magic and here open Partition Editor and give the Boot Flag to your Windows Drive and reboot

2. Now you will be able to boot into Windows.

3. Download Easy BCD

4. Install the software and then 'Run as an administrator'

5. Here click the Add/Remove Entries button

6. You can add Mac OS X and also Linux Entries here...save the settings and then reboot

7. Now you will be able to boot into Snow Leopard

STEP 8: INSTALLING UPDATE 10.6.X

1. Download the update from http://www.apple.com

2. Before installing the update, please remove SleepEnabler.kext from Snow Leopard > System > Library > Extentions and also from Snow Leopard > Extra > Extensions

3. Now Double click on the update file and install the update

4. Reboot your Computer

5. Once done you can install the latest SleepEnabler.kext from here http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/updates/list

STEP 9: INSTALL DRIVERS

INSTALL KEXTS USING Kexthelper b7

SOUND ALC 1200: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

LAN Atheros L1E - ATL1E: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140907

NVIDIA: http://www.kexts.com/view/170-videocards_(....6_(86-64).html. Use any one kext from here...

ATI: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

For other Sound / Lan / Graphics Driver : http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php

MY SYSTEM

Motherboard--------------- ASUS P5Q

Storage-------------------- 1 X 500 GB SATA /3 X 160 GB SATA / 1 X 200 GB PATA / 1 X 120 GB PATA

CPU-------------------------Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 Ghz

OS-------------------------- SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.2 / Windows 7

RAM------------------------ Transcend 4 GB 800 MHz

Graphics Card-------------- ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT -GDDR3- 1GB

MY PARTITION STYLE

1st Partiton : Windows 7

2nd Partition: Snow Leopard

3rd Parition: Retail Image (I Used a 8 GB partition instead of USB Drive)

4th Parition: Normal Extented NTFS Drive

ASUS P5Q / P5Q PRO / P5Q C / P5Q L EM / P5Q VM / P5Q EM / P5Q L PRO / P5Q Premium / P5Q E / P5Q Deluxe / P5Q 3 / P5Q SE R / P5Q EM DO / P5Q SE / P5Q SE PLUS / P5Q SE R / P5Q L E / P5Q E WiFi AP / P5Q TURBO / P5Q PRO TURBO / Asus Maximus II GENE / Asus Maximus II Folmula / Asus P5Q PL VM EPU / ASUS P5B Series / ASUS P5K Series and many others

hey,

this is a great tutorial i have seen on internet. I got a problem when I am trying to install mac on my pc . when I run the cd and make first boot device as cd and pressing enter to continue the setup . my pc just restart without any warning or something. I haven't changed the bios.

Thanks,

hey,

this is a great tutorial i have seen on internet. I got a problem when I am trying to install mac on my pc . when I run the cd and make first boot device as cd and pressing enter to continue the setup . my pc just restart without any warning or something. I haven't changed the bios.

Thanks,

post-681301-1288732453_thumb.jpg