[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

ok...this guy had swapped the quadro fx580 for an ati...and fabio told him to swap it back..so i guess he's using the fx580...well i sent him a PM but he did answer me just with a quote o my PM..maybe he didn't like to be PMmed..

as for the 920..i thought that if 980 is supported than 920 would be..wrong?

well i'll go to open the bike shop..i¡ll get back here tonight...witha a cup of coffee...ahahah.

thnx buddy...

You need specific for your Hardware. Just follow this Guide. Your i7 920 & fx 580 should both work just by following

this guide. And yes My ATI card has caused me many sleepless night's & I'm still stuck using a borrowed 9800gt..

ATTN inovice:

Post's 1150 to 1152 has enough info for you to install with your i7 980x if you can get use of a running Mac/Hack.

You only have to wait for 10.6.4 if you are unable to access a computer running OS X. iFabio has i7 980x DSDT

you need in post #4, use Google search I recommend to install & update direct to your H/D. Run dgobe's installer pkg

(make sure you select install to your New S/L H/D) with no DSDT's selected. Add i7 980x to the Extra folder created

there. Plug this into your P/C set Bios Run Audio & sudo cmd Patch repair permissions (disk utility) & you're done.

Note I would restart computer your working from with H/D connected after you add 10.6.4 update pkg.

@ciccio2ciccio

Sorry for late reply, I was getting error everything I log in. Regarding your question, I wrote in details what I did to get it working below;

1. I borrowed my friend`s mac, and prepare a 40gb HDD and USB 16gb *I had these at home.

2. Like I explained I bough the newest SL but when I receive it, it was 10.6.3. SO I used my previous 10.6.0 DVD.

3. Prepare USB and install + chameleon using Macbook #any mac or hack will do.

4. Boot from USB and install using your desktop, then connect back to macbook and update to latest 10.6.4 combo.

5. Connect back to your motherboard, boot with -v -f

6. SL Space Intro looks awesome......and there you go.

Now, I can use my 40gb to install on another HDD and keep the 40gb as a backup. Because i do not want to disturb my friend every-time to borrow his macbook.

@iBdb

Thank you for the info below, appreciate it. Actually, my cpu is always running over 75% (no idle)> I have C-state set to AUTO in bios. I think it might be the dsdt, but I need to check my temp also. My case and pc is very hot when using SL but windows is ok.

Can you please point me to a good CPU temperature monitoring software? Hardware monitor shows only my HDD, no cpu. Also, i wonder how you guys manage to get correct resolution when booting into chameleon. i change my default plist and the one in extra but my chameleon remain the same, too ustrecht on my monitor which is 2048*1152. Please advise me.

@ciccio2ciccio

@iBdb

Thank you for the info below, appreciate it. Actually, my cpu is always running over 75% (no idle)> I have C-state set to AUTO in bios. I think it might be the dsdt, but I need to check my temp also. My case and pc is very hot when using SL but windows is ok.

Can you please point me to a good CPU temperature monitoring software? Hardware monitor shows only my HDD, no cpu. Also, i wonder how you guys manage to get correct resolution when booting into chameleon. i change my default plist and the one in extra but my chameleon remain the same, too ustrecht on my monitor which is 2048*1152. Please advise me.

Not sure why your cpu always over 75%. Try looking at Italian thread inovice refers to above were lord_yuppa set up

980x & look if they have any similar problems. iFabio helped there and may have more info with this CPU.

iStat is probably the better way to monitor your CPU temp in conjunction with the new FakeSMC by slice http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=fakesmc.

That said it is still under development but appears to be manly sorted. It does require specific instructions to install so

read carefully. I failed miserably at my first attempt & could no longer boot up & had to re-install, haven't had time

to try again yet..

About your resolution look system preferences/other/chameleon for easy way to set defaults. If you are however

talking about the Chameleon GUI screen some themes are limited in resolution. Search for different themes that

you may like that support your resolution add to Extra/Themes & then select from chameleon preferences.

If it does not show there jest type the folder name in there.

After summer's gone, :) , have more time now and have been playing today with My Hack, to be more precize with the boot time.

No AplleHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 10 spins

With VoodoHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 11 spins

With AplleHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 30 spins

Is there no cure to speedup the boottime with AppleHDA installed in S/L/E

I'm using 90 % sleep function, but when restarting the boottime is wayto slow like never.

Any Idea???

Glad to hear it worked.

netkas has a driver package for your video card here:

http://netkas.org/?p=212

Use Software update first to download and install at least the 10.6.1 update to Snow Leopard.

No one can help you with your wireless if you don't say what you have....but I suggest you do a search for it first before posting.

I currently have Snow 10.6.2 installed and my ATI 3870x2 Overclocked Edition is not recognized. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to make it work or should i just buy a new NVIDEA. I paid 500+ for the ATI :)

I currently have Snow 10.6.2 installed and my ATI 3870x2 Overclocked Edition is not recognized. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to make it work or should i just buy a new NVIDEA. I paid 500+ for the ATI ;)

nVidea card would be easier providing it is a supported model. The link you quoted was 4870x2 & although these will

work you MUST have DVI-DVI connection only. That's allot of mula for an old card unless you buy it years ago & from

what I've read they have never been a successfully working option. That said with some new Mac's again having ATI

card's (4670, 5670, 5750 & 5770's) these too would be well supported (especially the real Mac ones). You may need

S/L 10.6.3/4 min to get these working & research thoroughly brands and version that are reported working first is

always a good idea..

Can anyone with the P6T confirm if it is 100% working. I have had a good read of the thread, but 1000 odd posts is a lot just to get confirmation that sleep, shutdown etc work and audio works. Other guides for my other hack projects have usually had a list of what is and isnt working in the first post, that's the only reason I am asking.

Thanks,

Rory

Edit, didn't think of using the browser search function rather than forum or google. And I found out sleep etc all work.

After summer's gone, :( , have more time now and have been playing today with My Hack, to be more precize with the boot time.

No AplleHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 10 spins

With VoodoHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 11 spins

With AplleHDA in S/L/E , boottime = 30 spins

Is there no cure to speedup the boottime with AppleHDA installed in S/L/E

I'm using 90 % sleep function, but when restarting the boottime is wayto slow like never.

Any Idea???

Litlle researching on logs - kernel.logs , I've found what causese the boot to slow down(i post just the fraction of it) :

Sep 2 23:13:41 localhost kernel[0]: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Sep 2 23:14:03 Toni-s-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit

Is there way to bypass those, Fabio ???

Litlle researching on logs - kernel.logs , I've found what causese the boot to slow down(i post just the fraction of it) :

Sep 2 23:13:41 localhost kernel[0]: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Sep 2 23:14:03 Toni-s-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit

Is there way to bypass those, Fabio ???

Nobody interested in solving this, I think We all p6t user, have the same problem.

--- 100% Functional P6T SE 10.6.4 ---

First off, thanks a bunch to the InsanelyMac forums crowd, couldn't have done this without the help!

And now, seeing as I had a heck of a time finding out some of this basic information, I'm just leaving a brief post so other P6T SE users have an idea of what I used to get a fully functional, fully updated system up and running. I'm also going to list what doesn't work, let's start there, seeing as this is where I wasted a lot of time.

iATKOS 10.6.2 - Will Not Work! Don't bother. You'll be spending hours with the dreaded Still Waiting For Root Device error, or even more fun, Cannot Mount Root Errno = 19, another fun one. This distro simply would not work for me. I even tried an iATKOS 10.5.7, same issue basically.

Buy the friggin thing! I mean it. With the price of dual layer DVD's, you're better off to just go and pay the $30 (was $35CDN) to own a real Snow Leopard DVD. I suppose you could attempt to burn a 10.6.3 Snow Leopard disc and continue on.

Now that you've got a Snow Leopard disc, download the Asus P6T Deluxe Boot132 v1.15 disc.

Next, get the P6T SE Essentials file.

Then, download the HDA sound kext from within fleebailey33's package posted here.

Last, you'll need the usual kext helper.

Ok, as this is not a tutorial, this is going to be quick and to the point. There is a TON of information on these forums and others on these topics, I'm just hoping to save someone else some time. You'll need to do the usual setup in your bios before attempting to use the boot132. There are screenshots on the P6T Deluxe install thread.

1) Burn boot132 disc.

2) save essentials file and fleebaileys package or atleast the sound kext on a flash drive, burnt cd, whatever. can even download these from within OSX!

3) Follow the usual boot132 + retail disc install instructions (very simple). Be sure to format the HDD as the proper type (GUID Partition Table).

4) Should be able to boot into OSX at this point, I had everything working except sound, and I still needed the boot132 to load as it would hang attempting to boot the HDD sitting with a flashing _ .

5) Once inside OSX, copy over or download the essentials and package mentioned above. Also go ahead and get or install kext helper.

6) Run the 3_MacLoader app located in the essentials zip. Reboot. I had to do this twice before I could reboot without the boot132 disc.

7) Follow fleebailey33's post about clearing out old or not needed audio kexts. Install his AppleHDA.kext from the package linked. Be sure to try running the kext permissions and tag cache rebuild options under kext helpers advanced options, and reboot when finished.

*A side note. Kext Helper seemed to need to be forced to close after attempting to install kexts. It was however running the install scripts fine.

Hopefully you end where I am! Fully functional P6T SE!

Here are my system specs.

Asus P6T SE

Intel Core i7 920 (Stock speeds for this so far)

4Gb Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 12800 (I have 6Gb but only 4 was used for install as 2 is in another system temporarily, hopefully doesn't affect anything, but it is only running dual channel not tripple).

BFG Geforce GTX 260 OC Maxcore 55 896Mb GDDR3

Intel X25-M SATA 80Gb SSD

Samsung Super Writemaster SATA DVD-RW

So so incredibly confused...

I've read through all the posts on this thread and I've also done some searching on MR and Netkas but I've hit a brick wall and feeling pretty glum about it!

I followed this guide and had limited success in that I am able to boot but only using -x -GraphicsEnabler=n -GraphicsEnabler=n arch=i386.  If I boot normally I get a black screen and my graphics fan sounds like it's about to take off.  When I eventually get to the login screen (using the method above) I see that I am in "safe boot" mode. 

This is literally as far as I have got and I'm totally stuck.  I've seen lots of conflicting information regarding the HD5770 and flashing the card, I've seen videos on YouTube of people who have got the same card as me working but no information about boot problems.

At this stage any advice at all would be appreciated!

Thanks....btw, all my spec is in my sig.

So so incredibly confused...

I've read through all the posts on this thread and I've also done some searching on MR and Netkas but I've hit a brick wall and feeling pretty glum about it!

Hi Richard79,

Have you 10.6.4 & latest Graphic update installed. Also it would not hurt to also use latest Chameleon version,

see the link I posted in my last post above..

Otherwise ATI based card's Grrr'. Flashing is probably best left as tha absolute last resort. Try searching this forum

in ATI section. It will take some patience as the search function is not the best. I have noticed a few 5770's in sig's

from people using Gigabyte Mobo's so maybe there is some discussion there as well. I found this new thread before

although it won't be very helpful & no one with XFX card has provided detail's it does show a couple of people with

these card's working. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=229918.

If you get it working with our hardware could you please post back here what you had to do.

No one interested speeding up the boottime???

Hi fc bayern

Of course we are interested in this thing.

But honestly I do not know where to put their hands.

How did you notice the changing times change the kext used for audio.

And surely, times are changing even if you use the DSDT short or full DSDT.

Fabio

Followed the guide and ran into problems after an update. The full story (with pictures) is here . I couldn't start a new thread on this board as I'm new and I didn't want to hijack this thread.

This may not be so simple to narrow down. This is the same error I had when I tried applying FakeSMC by Slice, then

after doing restart I could no longer boot into any O/S. Also Rmaster7 reported this same error when trying to get a

ATI 4850 working on his Gigabyte Mobo (reported in Simple Guide 48xx). Unfortunately he did not post back how or if the problem was resolved, I had to do re-install. This is more than likely issues with your GFx card so as I said before

research anywhere & everywhere for people who have your Specific card working (no matter what there hardware is)

Then you'll have to experiment trying there solutions until you find one that works for you. Good Luck :star_sunglasses:

@ iBdb

Hello, thank you for your help as usual. I have successfully re-install SL, I have been troubleshooting to find why my CPU was running over 75% but in vain to find the problem. I did a re-install and now it looks ok. Thanks for the tip on using iStat, it is way better than the hardware monitor app. I also did some reading on Voodoo and found that I need to actually work with 7o% of my boot screen to get an acceptable resolution, I am still working on it.

I have 2 questions that have been on my mind lately;

1. What is different on the new chameleon link that IFabio posted?

2. Has anyone try hardware raid? (I cannot see any guide from kennyman)

I have 2 questions that have been on my mind lately;

1. What is different on the new chameleon link that IFabio posted?

2. Has anyone try hardware raid? (I cannot see any guide from kennyman)

With the new Chameleon you no longer need smbios.plist in extra folder (except for a serial No if you have one).

Basically this plist manually adds information to System Profiler 'About This Mac'. The values displayed are/were

what was edited into the plist, now thanks to mozodojo and several other clever people they have managed to

work out how to do this natively. So with this & later versions of Chameleon your actual system spec's will be read

and placed in your System Profiler. It should even show your Ram Manufacturer & Serial No. If you O'Clock it should

read the system as it then is. ie Your i7 920 2.66 is O'Clocked to 3.5 that is what will be shown, your DDR3 1600

may actually run at 1608mhz so that's what your System Profiler will show (I love it it's awesome).. ;)

Hope you understand this brief explanation of a very complex discovery.

Sorry no help for you on raid setup/s. Raid set up's are not uncommon amongst user's in this forum, so the info you

need should not be hard to find. I think Raid is even an option in iFabio's topic 'Chameleon 2 RC5 Installer' found in this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Hi fc bayern

Of course we are interested in this thing.

But honestly I do not know where to put their hands.

How did you notice the changing times change the kext used for audio.

And surely, times are changing even if you use the DSDT short or full DSDT.

Fabio

Fabio, tnks for replying, I know You are bussy and active in different topics.

I am now using VoodoHDA 2.61 or something for SL - I'm on work while wriiting this reply and dont remember the correct name- sorry(I found it on the net) and my boot time is realy fast = 10-11 spins.

WIth Applehda in S/L/E , the boot time tripples , and its = 25-30 spins.

So what i did is, delete the AppleHDA in S/L/E, delete the cashes, delete AD2000b kext in Extra/Extensions and rebuild the extensionsmkexts, and isntall VoodoHDA offcourse - and bang the boot time is faster (10spins)

I have been using the short DSDT(optimized 3.3) , and also tried the long DSDT(2.5 full), no difference at all , or maybe + 1 or 2 spins. The used DSDT makes no changes at all.

I think You expert, should take an eye on Applehda + ad2000b combination, thats the problem where the boot is hanging(if I follow the led light od the Harddisk activity during the boot time, I can see that till the 8 spins its blinking, then pause till the 24-25 spin and then starts up the SL). WIth VoodoHDA, the led its blinking all the time till 10 spins and no pause at all.

Also the quality of the sound with VoodoHDA its the same, no noticeble differences.

In kernel.logs when using AppleHDA, what am seing is in the posts above, while when using VoodoHDA, I see tens of lines rerouting the pins(the in and out lines)

Do you think I can try this method on Asus rampage III extreme? It has similar hardware on it. How about htx470? How can I add drivers to the installer or boot CD?-

I would make no guarantee's and do not recall anyone trying this before. It is specific to the P6T Deluxe v1/v2 and

P6T SE. 'Similar' Spec's may not be close enough however there's only one way to find out ;)

About GTX 470 (?) see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214219

You don't add drivers to the installer. Spend a bit of time researching so you at least have some basic knowledge

of what you are going to do first (not being rude but I dare say you'll this). Good Luck.

Coool!! but my gtx 285 do the expose a little slow..not smooth way..

And no OpenGl 3.0

Worked great at P6TD Deluxe.. just need to fine tune the GTX 285.. cant find info at netkas

Well done.. There MAY be an answer for you over on this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3489&st=620.

Do you think I can try this method on Asus rampage III extreme? It has similar hardware on it. How about htx470? How can I add drivers to the installer or boot CD?-

Hi Diwad.

I have a request.

when you get your mobo working with Snow leopard pls post your LSPCI info and your Ioreg.

Is in my plane to collect info about Asus X58 board to make a common installer..

Fabio