[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

Re your prob. elsewhere I noticed some people with ATI Type 4890's also having problems with 10.6.4 & now the new update. I noticed no consistency there with M/P 1.1's 3 & 4.1s some work some not. I'm not doubting your finding just letting you & others know this.

I also noticed when I was first setting up trying to sort 4870x2 issues that I was getting different updates when

using different Mac based serial numbers (Xeon & i7). Admittedly I was more concentrated on GFx issues but

now wonder if there is a more greater effect here affecting info gathered from apple 'swscan' and thus updates

selected for each machine. :wacko:

Do you have a specific serial number ??

Anybody else noticed this anomaly or effect's from different or no serial numbers :(

I do not have a serial number set up in my com.Apple.Boot.plist file. I could try it if I could get a serial number for a Mac Pro 4,1. However, the Software Update does think I have a Mac Pro 4,1 (as it tried to install the Mac Pro Audio Update in the past).

I installed the SSD without any problems.

First i tried to just clone the old HDD to the new SSD. No luck.

Then i made a fresh install and everything went fine.

But the sad part is that i dont experience any improvement in speed at all.

I bought the OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 3.5" SSD 180GB. Payed close to 800USD here in sweden lol... and nooo improvement at all. Something must be wrong?

Boot time is about a minute still, just as before i got the SSD.

Is there any benchmark tools for mac and SSD? I tried Xbench and these are the results:

Results 380.48

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.6.4 (10F569)

Physical RAM 6144 MB

Model MacPro4,1

Drive Type OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5

Disk Test 380.48

Sequential 231.25

Uncached Write 318.40 195.49 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 307.28 173.86 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.32 35.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 366.73 184.32 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 1072.73

Uncached Write 1580.74 167.34 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 560.12 179.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 3798.02 26.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 954.61 177.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I installed the SSD without any problems.

First i tried to just clone the old HDD to the new SSD. No luck.

Then i made a fresh install and everything went fine.

Make sure you do a full format to the SSD drive or else you will have speed issues. Quick formats will not give you good performance.

Re your prob. elsewhere I noticed some people with ATI Type 4890's also having problems with 10.6.4 & now the new update. I noticed no consistency there with M/P 1.1's 3 & 4.1s some work some not. I'm not doubting your finding just letting you & others know this.

I also noticed when I was first setting up trying to sort 4870x2 issues that I was getting different updates when

using different Mac based serial numbers (Xeon & i7). Admittedly I was more concentrated on GFx issues but

now wonder if there is a more greater effect here affecting info gathered from apple 'swscan' and thus updates

selected for each machine. :wacko:

Do you have a specific serial number ??

Anybody else noticed this anomaly or effect's from different or no serial numbers :rolleyes:

Well, I tried the serial thing and it didn't change a thing. Updated again, no change to the slowdown issue. I'm still getting 30fps max in Portal without AA, and even some parts of the interface are slow.

UPDATE: I tried setting my profile to Mac Pro 3,1 and like the person I quoted said, it actually worked. I'm getting full framerates now, infact their better than what I was getting on 10.6.3. I just wonder how this will affect iFabio's DSDT which is now built around MacPro 4,1. Also, I wonder what's making the MacPro 4,1 profile slow down my video card like it has. All I'm guessing is maybe its not scaling the PCI-e bus speed correctly or something to that effect with my video card.

how this will affect iFabio's DSDT which is now built around MacPro 4,1.

????

The DSDT isn't build around a MacPro4,1 profile....

The DSDT is "fixed" to run on a "Mac"

The profile you talking is relate o the MacModel...

Pls we don't make confusion on that... maybe your GFX card have more performance on MacPro3,1 than 4,1... but notthing relat to DSDT....

Fabio

Make sure you do a full format to the SSD drive or else you will have speed issues. Quick formats will not give you good performance.

Hi and thanx for the reply.

Ive tried so many times not im getting sick of it lol

OCZ Vertex 2 and hackintosh on our board dont seem to match.

Its slow as hell.. and slowing down as well.

I tried to format or make a new partition on the whole drive and went through the whole thing again now and its still slower than before with old 7200rpm.

I checked and the disc got the latest firmware.

Is there any dst or something i should try?

Im really clueless =D

Regards

Think i figured out my slow boot problem.

When i just had the SSD in my pc and used Chameleon panel and pressed on my SSD as Boot partition, and rebooted it booted in less than half the time. SSD´s diskname was then hd(0,1)

But when i connect my other discs, it changes to hd(3,2) and even if i set it to boot on that partition it dosnt, keep changing.

Anyone know what can be done?

I tried bootdisk in prefrences as well.. no good =/

Hello,

I have P6T SE and i7-920

All work perfectly for me insted of sound on 10.6.4

I try patcher from first post, also I try some other AppleHDA.kext for ALC1200, but still not work.

When I use patcher from first post, in system porfiler I have this

post-578870-1282384273_thumb.png

But in System Preferences > Sound for output and input devices I have nothing and sound not work

Can you please help me to fix this audio problem

Thanks

Hello,

I have P6T SE and i7-920

All work perfectly for me insted of sound on 10.6.4

I try patcher from first post, also I try some other AppleHDA.kext for ALC1200, but still not work.

When I use patcher from first post, in system porfiler I have this

But in System Preferences > Sound for output and input devices I have nothing and sound not work

Can you please help me to fix this audio problem

Thanks

My mistake above to suggest Audio patch from first post without checking. P6T-SE has ALC1200 audio

chipset so try kexts.com for Driver (kext) for this chipset on 10.6.4 This would be good place to start.. :)

UPDATE: I tried setting my profile to Mac Pro 3,1 and like the person I quoted said, it actually worked. I'm getting full framerates now, infact their better than what I was getting on 10.6.3. I just wonder how this will affect iFabio's DSDT which is now built around MacPro 4,1. Also, I wonder what's making the MacPro 4,1 profile slow down my video card like it has. All I'm guessing is maybe its not scaling the PCI-e bus speed correctly or something to that effect with my video card.

As a matter of interest in the performance your having here and why the difference what & where exactly did you change setting your profile to now be Mac Pro 3.1. Is that all you did ??

Hi

I use mouse and keyboard USB...

Are you sure the PS2 connector are for mouse and not for keyboard?

Fabio

Hi

My mouse have a green ps2 connector and i put in the half green-half violet ps2 connector of my mobo but it doesn't vork ...

Stil86

Now i have another problem .... The gt220 wasn't mine and now i have to use my hd4550 ... is it possible or i must buy an nvidia ?

"Probably" "YES"

Chameleon 2 RC5, ati.c

{ 0x10029540,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,
{ 0x10029541,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,
{ 0x1002954E,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,

FAbio

"Probably" "YES"

Chameleon 2 RC5, ati.c

{ 0x10029540,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,
{ 0x10029541,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,
{ 0x1002954E,  "ATI Radeon 4500 Series"}  ,

FAbio

Hi Fabio !

I have already installed the pc efi 10.6 installer package from tonymac because teorically it support hd4500 series but it doesn't work ...

So what are those things you write to me ?

Thanks

Hi everyone

first of all thanx for your hard work and helping,

let me point out that i have no knowledge about mac system or lynux.

i'm trying to install snow on my i7 920, pt6 deluxe v.1, 6gb hyperx kingston 1600ghz ram, quadro fx580 system.

i'm following the guide in Asus P6T Deluxe V1 & V2 boot-132 Install Method

No Mac Required!

but my problem is that when i swap the AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132v1.15.7z.zip disc for the mac installer disc and start the installation the system restarts

i tried the three option strings that u suggested but had no luck ..

just goes a bit further loading drivers ..i guess..but after a while it restarts anyway..

can it be because of the quadro fx580 card that is not supported by mac?

When i swap the disc, after the F5 to to refresh, when i select the mac installer disc, it shows a few lines of bad sector error, but then starts loading the drivers...

any idea? the mac disc is downloaded and changed to a .iso from a .dmg to burn it to disc, can it be that?

please let me know if there's any way to use that card on a mac, maybe with the drivers for a superior model?

i read that somebody used the gf 8800 for pc on a mac by flashing it...

doesn't ring any bell here..do you know about a similar procedure for a fx580?

if not , should i buy a geforce to use on the mac? because i have to stick wit win xp to use the 3d programs, but for the audio ones i rather stay on a mac.

if that is the only solution what card is to combine, when in win xp, with the fx580 wich is not sli?

well, thanx again in advance

Ciccio

Hi everyone first of all thanx for your hard work and helping, let me point out that i have no knowledge about mac system or lynux. i'm trying to install snow on my i7 920, pt6 deluxe v.1, 6gb hyperx kingston 1600ghz ram, quadro fx580 system. i'm following the guide in Asus P6T Deluxe V1 & V2 boot-132 Install Method No Mac Required! post but my problem is that when i swap the AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132v1.15.7z.zip disc for the mac installer disc and start the installation the system restarts i tried the three option strings that u suggested but had no luck .. just goes a bit further loading drivers ..i guess..but after a while it restarts anyway.. can it be because of the quadro fx580 card that is not supported by mac? When i swap the disc, after the F5 to to refresh, when i select the mac installer disc, it shows a few lines of bad sector error, but then starts loading the drivers... any idea? the mac disc is downloaded and changed to a .iso from a .dmg to burn it to disc, can it be that? please let me know if there's any way to use that card on a mac, maybe with the drivers for a superior model? i read that somebody used the gf 8800 for pc on a mac by flashing it... doesn't ring any bell here..do you know about a similar procedure for a fx580? if not , should i buy a geforce to use on the mac? because i have to stick wit win xp to use the 3d programs, but for the audio ones i rather stay on a mac. if that is the only solution what card is to combine, when in win xp, with the fx580 wich is not sli? well, thanx again in advance Ciccio

Uhg anyway i followed a post in italian (i'm italian) in wich fabio helped-out lord_yupa with the same problem i'm having..

the solution there, was to install the SL 10.6.3 from another mac on an external Drive and update it there, mount back the drive and voilà...SL10.6.4 running smooth....

the interesting part is that is running a quadro fx580...easy! that's cool for me...

now my question is...how can i do it if i have no access to a mac?

does SL ship in 10.6.4 already(or soon..) so i can buy a copy?

because vmware is the only thing i can find rigth away...and if it's my only option do you think i can do the same that lord_yupa did with another mac?

2nd option i have is to use another card for the install..upgrade and swap it...pc city refound policy helps here!!!

well..help! i need somebody..Help! but not just anybody..Help! i need a mac

ahahahahaah

who doesn't?!

'night 'n thanx everyone

@ciccio2ciccio

Can you please explain a little bit how you get the quadro to work please? Thanks

Uhg anyway i followed a post in italian (i'm italian) in wich fabio helped-out lord_yupa with the same problem i'm having..

the solution there, was to install the SL 10.6.3 from another mac on an external Drive and update it there, mount back the drive and voilà...SL10.6.4 running smooth....

the interesting part is that is running a quadro fx580...easy! that's cool for me...

now my question is...how can i do it if i have no access to a mac?

does SL ship in 10.6.4 already(or soon..) so i can buy a copy?

because vmware is the only thing i can find rigth away...and if it's my only option do you think i can do the same that lord_yupa did with another mac?

2nd option i have is to use another card for the install..upgrade and swap it...pc city refound policy helps here!!!

well..help! i need somebody..Help! but not just anybody..Help! i need a mac

Hi Please add your signature so we can see that there is not something else causing a conflict.

My experience with non supported GFx card's still allowed install but fails when OS X S/L load's..

If you cant access a Mac borrowing a known supported card would be a good idea then update.

There's many natively supported GFx card's. I would leave flashing for absolute last resort.

Your local Apple supplier will let you know what the latest version they can supply you with, although I

have not read post you refer to 10.6.3 version 'should' have the support need, also make sure you

know what else was needed for this card that lord_yupa reported he used (kext's etc if any)

I'm not 100% sure about VMware but you need use 'Disk Utility' (on OS X) to install direct to a H/D,

so you 'may' be able to install & update that way.

Firstly double check you have latest or at least Bios v2101 (known to work as in iFabio's sig.) and

you have set all the Bios setting's correct, Win H/D disconnected, Your new S/L H/D is plugged

into the 1st Sata port (#1) & even removing all but one ram can also help during initial install.

10.6.4 SL original disc is not out yet. I has similar problem when I received my new processor and ended up buying 10.6.3 on-line (I was told later that 10.6.4 is not out). I ended up having 2 SL dics that does not work with my system :rolleyes: Need to wait until mid September for 10.6.4, from what I have been told.

BTW, I am writing from my SL install, everything is working fine, Big THANKS to all the supporting members of this thread! This is by far the BEST thread I have read regarding my mobo!! :D

But one slight concern I have, I read on Voodoo that chameleon can be changed to display the right resolution when booting up. My monitor is a Acer 2048x1152, even if I change chameleon and boot.plist, I still have stretch image, Can someone educate me on this please?

My temp also are very high (using istat), I am not sue if it is displaying the correct values. Any recommendation for a decent CPU temp monitoring app? Thanks in advance! Going to get some sleep, thanks again for your kind support and help. It`s been great!

@ciccio2ciccio

Can you please explain a little bit how you get the quadro to work please? Thanks

Hi , well i haven't yet but ''lord_yupa'' said he did'it...

here's the translation of the post:

''everything seems to work

for those interested, here is the procedure I did to start the 'i7 980x

I downloaded the update from Apple Combo Update 10.6.4

I installed it ,as in a guide williamwallace, via an OSX running, on an external drive

then I updated also on the external drive with the combo update (I changed the destination at installation stage)

I installed the chameleon 2 rc5 revision 325 that I was recommended by Fabio

I put the extra folder that has also given to me by fabio and

at this point finally starts without rebooting

some more tuning for audio and networking with coaching from Fabio''

so..the chamaleon, here's the link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1526207

about the extra folder is in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1525472

about the wallace guy guide, i don't know...

well i hope that helps

Hi Please add your signature so we can see that there is not something else causing a conflict. My experience with non supported GFx card's still allowed install but fails when OS X S/L load's.. If you cant access a Mac borrowing a known supported card would be a good idea then update. There's many natively supported GFx card's. I would leave flashing for absolute last resort. Your local Apple supplier will let you know what the latest version they can supply you with, although I have not read post you refer to 10.6.3 version 'should' have the support need, also make sure you know what else was needed for this card that lord_yupa reported he used (kext's etc if any) I'm not 100% sure about VMware but you need use 'Disk Utility' (on OS X) to install direct to a H/D, so you 'may' be able to install & update that way. Firstly double check you have latest or at least Bios v2101 (known to work as in iFabio's sig.) and you have set all the Bios setting's correct, Win H/D disconnected, Your new S/L H/D is plugged into the 1st Sata port (#1) & even removing all but one ram can also help during initial install.

Hi and thanx, i translated the post:

I downloaded the update from Apple Combo Update 10.6.4

I installed it ,as in a guide williamwallace, via an OSX running, on an external drive

then I updated also on the external drive with the combo update (I changed the destination at installation stage)

I installed the chameleon 2 rc5 revision 325 that I was recommended by Fabio

I put the extra folder that has also given to me by fabio and

at this point finally starts without rebooting

some more tuning for audio and networking with coaching from Fabio''

so..the chamaleon, here's the link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1526207

about the extra folder is in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1525472

about the wallace guy guide, i don't know...

well i hope that helps

mmmh i haven't updated mi Bios yet, when i put the comp toghether i tried with the newest that was available but it wasn't recognized as valid...i'll try again with the one is up now...

back to this guy procedure..he said in a post that the problem was the version of SL(10.6.3), that with 10.6.4 went well from start to finish...doin'it from another mac...installed it, updated it, put back on the P6T, Booted allright..

well i hope i can do the same...i'l visit a friend that just bought an iMac...but it won't have an external sata connection right?..sh%t..i can do it on a ide disc in a fw/usb case i have...connecting it inside on the pt6. boot and re-do it ...(or can i just back the all HDD from th ide to the sata?)

we'll see...only with pain the pay-back is sweet...ahahaha...crazy me...kinda lovin'it...this new mac thing world is really interesting...

umpf..let me drop a question here as well:

my main reaosn to move to SL from win xp is that a couple of progs don't exist on win..like apple logic pro or final cut...do u think that with a program that exists in both versions i would notice a perfomance increase moving to mac?..well also a couple of hardwares in my studio don't have a driver for winxp 64 wich i moved to to use 6gb of ram...but they exist for mac so...dough in the dwld page i can select just 10.5 will it run on the 10.6?

10.6.4 SL original disc is not out yet. I has similar problem when I received my new processor and ended up buying 10.6.3 on-line (I was told later that 10.6.4 is not out). I ended up having 2 SL dics that does not work with my system :( Need to wait until mid September for 10.6.4, from what I have been told.

BTW, I am writing from my SL install, everything is working fine, Big THANKS to all the supporting members of this thread! This is by far the BEST thread I have read regarding my mobo!! :unsure:

But one slight concern I have, I read on Voodoo that chameleon can be changed to display the right resolution when booting up. My monitor is a Acer 2048x1152, even if I change chameleon and boot.plist, I still have stretch image, Can someone educate me on this please?

My temp also are very high (using istat), I am not sue if it is displaying the correct values. Any recommendation for a decent CPU temp monitoring app? Thanks in advance! Going to get some sleep, thanks again for your kind support and help. It`s been great!

Hi again...so have u installed or not from 10.6.3 disc?

if yes..please explain how u did it step by step...could u?

i pray a lot lately...i only seem to talk to he when i need ugh?!...ahahahah

misbeliver!!!

thnx

Hi and thanx, i translated the post:

This Guide you translated is about getting the " i7 980x " CPU working and not the GFx card.. You have an i7 920 so

it is not relevant to you.

As to connecting Sata H/D's to USB just use an external USB H/D enclosure, and as I posted a little while back to

install & update direct to a H/D Google " Install Snow Leopard (10A432) on PC ". That said I do not think this

is relevant for you. :unsure:

Not sure about your sound card. Firewire is reported working but there is a procedure that needs to be followed

to have it recognised (maybe it was no hot pluggin), it is discussed in this thread somewhere. If it uses a PCI or

PCI-E board connection use iFabio's 2.5 DSDT (fully optimised).

EDIT for your GFx card search it specifically probably in ATI topics and also look at Netkas.com

RE: EDIT I'm sure you had written 5800 or 5xxx GFx card (ATI) NOT fx 580 (nVidea)

This Guide you translated is about getting the " i7 980x " CPU working and not the GFx card.. You have an i7 920 so

it is not relevant to you.

As to connecting Sata H/D's to USB just use an external USB H/D enclosure, and as I posted a little while back to

install & update direct to a H/D Google " Install Snow Leopard (10A432) on PC ". That said I do not think this

is relevant for you. :(

Not sure about your sound card. Firewire is reported working but there is a procedure that needs to be followed

to have it recognised (maybe it was no hot pluggin), it is discussed in this thread somewhere. If it uses a PCI or

PCI-E board connection use iFabio's 2.5 DSDT (fully optimised).

EDIT for your GFx card search it specifically probably in ATI topics and also look at Netkas.com

ok...this guy had swapped the quadro fx580 for an ati...and fabio told him to swap it back..so i guess he's using the fx580...well i sent him a PM but he did answer me just with a quote o my PM..maybe he didn't like to be PMmed..

as for the 920..i thought that if 980 is supported than 920 would be..wrong?

well i'll go to open the bike shop..i¡ll get back here tonight...witha a cup of coffee...ahahah.

thnx buddy...

10.6.4 SL original disc is not out yet. I has similar problem when I received my new processor and ended up buying 10.6.3 on-line (I was told later that 10.6.4 is not out). I ended up having 2 SL dics that does not work with my system :rolleyes: Need to wait until mid September for 10.6.4, from what I have been told.

BTW, I am writing from my SL install, everything is working fine, Big THANKS to all the supporting members of this thread! This is by far the BEST thread I have read regarding my mobo!! :wacko:

Well...what have u installed than? original 10.6.3?