[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

don't want to spoil this topic

but the most fail-proof way is to go out and buy a 980x on P6T Deluxe V1/V2 or P6T-SE if i want a working 6 core?

Yep works on 6core :D

ITALIAN TREAD http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227624

But for what I find need more than 10.6.3.... on 10.6.4 is fully suported by OSX

Fabio

i meant, the 980x is the way to go 6 core, the i7 970 isn't suported by 10,6,4?

btw, thnx for all the time you've spent in these dsds and stuff so far!

Not sure you understood. iFabio was saying (as per link) that you need 10.6.4 to get 6 core support.

In other words you will need a retail 10.6.4 S/L Disk or you will have to install and upgrade to 10.6.4

before 6 core will work. You could update by either using a 4 core in your machine or as per above link

install S/L & update direct to the hard drive externally connected to another computer first (not sure if

you can do this via Win PC though).

As to i7 970 working refer my previous answer it is just as I said above.. ;)

Not sure you understood. iFabio was saying (as per link) that you need 10.6.4 to get 6 core support.

In other words you will need a retail 10.6.4 S/L Disk or you will have to install and upgrade to 10.6.4

before 6 core will work. You could update by either using a 4 core in your machine or as per above link

install S/L & update direct to the hard drive externally connected to another computer first (not sure if

you can do this via Win PC though).

:censored2:

well i'm working on a imac (leopard).

so.. i can update my leopard to snowleopard and use my imac to create an HDD for my hackingtosh?

any links/guide how to do that? (searching that 'guide williamwallace' but without succes :( )

I have the Asus P6T SE mobo and an i7 930 cpu, I´ve installe SL using info from this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1531714 but it seems pretty much like people jumped ship there.

ifabio posted a DSDT.aml for the i7 930 cpu amongst other good info there. I´m using that and the modified fakesmc.kext he recommends there. All is good but I get probs with diskutility and DVD player totally locking up as soon as sleep or screen saver kicks in.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks

well i'm working on a imac (leopard).

so.. i can update my leopard to snowleopard and use my imac to create an HDD for my hackingtosh?

any links/guide how to do that? (searching that 'guide williamwallace' but without succes :) )

Yes.. google " Install Snow Leopard (10A432) " to get general instructions. You will have to adjust to suit

dgobe's pkg & other required bit's as per this guide. Is not difficult but bit of common sense needed. :(

Hello,

I have the same mobo (P6T D2) as most of you of this thread. I have install SL using this guide, and big thank to all of you who help on making the setup easy for a noob like me.

My ihack worked well for almost 4 months until recently, I did some upgrades and bought a second-hand 980xx (6-cores on e bay) and a GTX 285. Since then I am trying to re-install and in vain to boot into SL. My SL disc is original and I have tried all the boot cds from the original post#1 along with;

• -x
  • GraphicsEnabler=n
  • GraphicsEnabler=n arch=i386

But still cannot boot. Before I had 920 and GTS 9800, which worked flawlessly. But I do not have my old 920 and video card now, sold allreday. What should I do? Please advise me, I have no idea what is wrong with my computer. Thank you in advance.

(sorry for my language, English is not my native language)

Hello,

I have the same mobo (P6T D2) as most of you of this thread. I have install SL using this guide, and big thank to all of you who help on making the setup easy for a noob like me.

My ihack worked well for almost 4 months until recently, I did some upgrades and bought a second-hand 980xx (6-cores on e bay) and a GTX 285. Since then I am trying to re-install and in vain to boot into SL. My SL disc is original and I have tried all the boot cds from the original post#1 along with;

(sorry for my language, English is not my native language)

You need 10.6.4 S/L as your initial install. Above post's relate specifically about this. Use Translate (google or other)

to your language and read above for more about 980x.

EDIT: Sorry that is 10.6.3 or later version as Fabio correctly posted below.

Yes.. google " Install Snow Leopard (10A432) " to get general instructions. You will have to adjust to suit

dgobe's pkg & other required bit's as per this guide. Is not difficult but bit of common sense needed. :)

aah thnx again :) it's all new and far away without an actual rig to 'test' things !

i came across a nice youtube guide . another name is a "mpkg install" ?!?

so step by step:

instal SL on my 'snow' hdd (via usb enclosure connected to my imac)

instal the update combo (as explained in the movie link or that williamwallace guide)

than..

do i first run the installer provided in the first post, into the snow harddisk and after that run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to instal only the gpu (hd5770)

or shall i manually add the files to the snowdisk from the second post (dsdt for 980x, FakeSMC.kext, P6T-Deluxe.kext ) and run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the 5770 files.

final step: plugging the snowdisk in my pc, change some bios settings, and let it boot

(this sounds too simple! :P )

i meant, the 980x is the way to go 6 core, the i7 970 isn't suported by 10,6,4?

btw, thnx for all the time you've spent in these dsds and stuff so far!

Hi.

Important things with new processors like 980x and very new 970 is the BIOS...

now for the 980x you need also a 10.6.3 (or UP) to get your processor (in this case 980x)

to be fully supported by Snow Leopard...

Now if you have a i7 970 (I ask you to follow the first dgobe post) because I need this particular "Table DUMP" :)

I think is near the 975... but I can't tell you if this is completly right...

In anycase... update your motherboard BIOS to be sure your processor is supported first from the hardware... next from the software...

Fabio

aah thnx again :) it's all new and far away without an actual rig to 'test' things !

so step by step:

instal SL on my 'snow' hdd (via usb enclosure connected to my imac)

instal the update combo (as explained in the movie link or that williamwallace guide)

then..

do i first run the installer provided in the first post, into the snow harddisk and after that run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to instal only the gpu (hd5770)

or shall i manually add the files to the snowdisk from the second post (dsdt for 980x, FakeSMC.kext, P6T-Deluxe.kext ) and run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the 5770 files.

final step: plugging the snowdisk in my pc, change some bios settings, and let it boot

(this sounds too simple! :( )

Yes that's about it, however I would look at Netkas.org for hd5770 support rather than [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. There installer is not supportive of Asus Mobo's. It may or may not work. The important mod's to getting this card to work would of

more than likely come from Netkas brilliance anyway..

You could also consider going for the specific Apple Mac Version 5870 card. This would be the best supported.

And yes defiantly follow this guide & installer would be best for your wished combo as iFabio say above. As to adding which kexts / DSDT first decide exactly your combo (installer has some included)..

You ONLY need to follow the How to I suggested you google above if you're Snow Lepoard O/S disk is Pre 10.6.3 version and use 6 core Processor. If you do not have O/S Disk yet Bye latest release & Just follow this Guide.. :P

EDIT: Make sure you research the GFx card thoroughly as you may find Only specific brands & version's that work.

Yes even same model # card's from same manufacturer may have a version that both does & does not work.

fabio and idbg,

i'm using my systems for image processing. therefore i'm rather looking for a way with the most chance for success :P

took the plunge and went for the 980x.

about the gpu, i read some stuff about the sapphire 5770 1gb should be the closest to the apple 5770. don't know how if it's going to work but i've found some post from people who got it working..

since i have a mac i think i'm going to go for an install via that mac. i'm only afraid that an installer which should instal to the usb hdd is going to mess up my real mac :wacko:

fabio and idbg,

i'm using my systems for image processing. therefore i'm rather looking for a way with the most chance for success ;)

took the plunge and went for the 980x.

about the gpu, i read some stuff about the sapphire 5770 1gb should be the closest to the apple 5770. don't know how if it's going to work but i've found some post from people who got it working..

since i have a mac i think i'm going to go for an install via that mac. i'm only afraid that an installer which should instal to the usb hdd is going to mess up my real mac :P

You get to choose what hard drive you want to install to so just make sure you select the correct one. There is no more

or less chance by installing direct to your PC. The direct PC is the proven & preferred method & you really should only

use your Mac if your Snow Leopard Retail/Update Disk is NOT 10.6.3 or later and you need to update to a later version.

This later O/S version is ONLY so your 980x (6 core) will be recognised.

That said providing you use the DSDT ifabio has created for 980x & follow the guide OSX should be running in no time.

Thanks to the many hours of work here mainly by dgobe & iFabio It is not the install that should concern you. Most

problems turn out to be small either miss-understanding or people undertaking there own ideas varying this guide.

The biggest challenge with your install is the GFx card. Make sure you know exactly what you need where and how to install.. Take note of recommended boot settings etc and follow them to a T. Missing the finest detail with this can give you many sleepless nights.

Hey, big thank you. Everything worked well, but there where a problem with "can´t find mach_kernel". I found out that my usb-stick, where was chameleon installetm was formatted to M.B.R I changed it to G.U.I.D and now my Snowleopard 10.6.4 with audio and ethernet is working. I had to change the DSDT to a newer version. The DSDT is saved under extras(just look in spotlight for it). Big thanks, YOU ROCK!.

Try also change the bootloader...

install this...

before delete your smbios.plist (yes we don't need anymore :))

Chameleon 2 RC5 revision (trunk 352)

for the sleep... fire up your terminal and digit this...

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

restart and see at next start if solved

Fabio

Hello everybody, can anyone tell me ( iFabio? ) which DSDT ( core i7 920 ) should I use with this BOOTLOADER ?

Thanks everyone,

PiSToL

Hello everybody, can anyone tell me ( iFabio? ) which DSDT ( core i7 920 ) should I use with this BOOTLOADER ?

Thanks everyone,

PiSToL

Hi, same DSDT this is not affected. Remove smbios.plist from Extras or if you have your own serial No. you would

like to keep remove everything in smbios.plist except SMserial. B)

Hi guys, semi off topic.

But im thinking of getting SSD disk for my hackintosh. Do anyone know if that would be a problem?

Is it possible to clone my working hack to the new SSD disk?

Regards Bass

SSD's have been reported ok elsewhere. There appears to be problems doing initial install on SSD's with our hardware

and package here. From memory I don't remember anyone reporting back about there success (or not) post install.

I would search about what others had done to get there's working and see if you can apply it to your system. If you

are unsure post back here what other's did and somebody here may know if it should/could work or cause conflict's

with our install. If you do succeed please do post back here how you did this..

Hi guys, I ran software update tonight and there was this update called "Snow Leopard Graphics Update". Anyone tried it or anyone knows if it's safe to update?

I updated my system and everything is working fine.

I have a GTX 275 w/ graphic enabler and actually i can tell that there is a difference, OpenGL is a bit faster with the new drivers B)

I updated too with no problem at all. Asus NV9400GT with graphic enabler in dual screen configuration. Can't say about performances 'cause of my poor card and 'cause I'm not a gamer...just music making on this computer.

Anyway, it works.

I updated my system and everything is working fine.

I have a GTX 275 w/ graphic enabler and actually i can tell that there is a difference, OpenGL is a bit faster with the new drivers :)

I have a EVGA GTX 280 and I again, had to roll back to 10.6.3 using Time Machine, even after this update. I would get very low framerates (no higher than 30fps without AA on Portal) in 10.6.4, when it was well above 100fps (with AA on) in 10.6.3.

Doing research I found out it seems that under 10.6.4, the GPU throttling is not working properly, keeping the GPU running at 300MHz or so all the time, thus the very low framerates. I saw someone fixed the issue by using the Mac Pro 3,1 profile but the problem is, iFabio's DSDTs are all built around the Mac Pro 4,1 profile that is causing the problem. So I wonder how there is a way to fix this issue so I am not stuck with 10.6.3 forever.

Here's the quote I saw in another thread:

EDIT: Used the nvclock tool to confirm my suspicion: This friggin' card is clocking itself at 300mhz when idle and doesn't clock itself up to full speed when 3D apps run. Great. Any idea how this can be fixed short of dumping the BIOS, disabling the throttling, and flashing it again? I tried transplanting the 10.6.3 Nvidia kexts from my backup, but all that did was kill acceleration and leave me at 1024x768.

FINAL EDIT: Problem solved! I have no friggin' clue why this is, but after some digging, I found that setting your Hackie as a Mac Pro 4,1 means you get {censored} performance with the latest GTX 285 drivers. Setting it to 3,1 magically restores it! I can't think of why the Hackie thinking it's a 2008 Mac Pro instead of a 2009 Mac Pro would make any difference...but I'm happy to have full performance back.

So to people having performance issues, check and make sure your hackie isn't running as a 4,1 Mac Pro. This may hold true for ANY Nvidia card under the new drivers.

Hi everyone,

I posted here before and with all of your guys' help I was able to get snow leopard running. I've ran into some issues though, unfortunately.

:::::here's what I've done so far:::::

I installed S/L, ran the dgobe's installer package - I only installed the main files and I left all of the DSDT options unchecked. I ran the sudo touch command and restarted. Everything was working well. I got the DSDT for the i7 930 from ifabios post #4, as well as the fakesmc.kext and "legacy only for P6T SE" (P6T-SE.kext) and the AppleHDA.kext too. I used kextutility to install all of the kexts and I simply placed the DSDT in the extra folder.

The problems I'm having is that sleep + audio don't work and the computer is running really slow. When I go system prefs>sound>input/output there is nothing there! Do I have to install drivers? I am aware that there is an audio patcher at the end of dgobe's post #1, however, apparently that doesn't work with the Asus P6T SE.

I tried to install some software for my USB wireless stick and the computer computer froze when i was trying to run an install from the CD that came with the USB stick. Also, I have 6GB of ram installed put it's only recognizing 4, any ideas?

Any/all help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm starting to get really frustrated and contemplating just installing windows 7, hopefully you guys will be able to save me from that though! Thanks!

I have a EVGA GTX 280 and I again, had to roll back to 10.6.3 using Time Machine, even after this update. I would get very low framerates (no higher than 30fps without AA on Portal) in 10.6.4, when it was well above 100fps (with AA on) in 10.6.3.

Doing research I found out it seems that under 10.6.4, the GPU throttling is not working properly, keeping the GPU running at 300MHz or so all the time, thus the very low framerates. I saw someone fixed the issue by using the Mac Pro 3,1 profile but the problem is, iFabio's DSDTs are all built around the Mac Pro 4,1 profile that is causing the problem. So I wonder how there is a way to fix this issue so I am not stuck with 10.6.3 forever.

Re your prob. elsewhere I noticed some people with ATI Type 4890's also having problems with 10.6.4 & now the new update. I noticed no consistency there with M/P 1.1's 3 & 4.1s some work some not. I'm not doubting your finding just letting you & others know this.

I also noticed when I was first setting up trying to sort 4870x2 issues that I was getting different updates when

using different Mac based serial numbers (Xeon & i7). Admittedly I was more concentrated on GFx issues but

now wonder if there is a more greater effect here affecting info gathered from apple 'swscan' and thus updates

selected for each machine. :D

Do you have a specific serial number ??

Anybody else noticed this anomaly or effect's from different or no serial numbers :angel:

Try also change the bootloader...

install this...

before delete your smbios.plist (yes we don't need anymore :))

Chameleon 2 RC5 revision (trunk 352)

for the sleep... fire up your terminal and digit this...

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

restart and see at next start if solved

Fabio

Mhhh...the download link seems to be broken.

Is there a new link or equivalent?

Thanks a lot!