Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

@gsw953

just in case you got any new finding / tuning tips, kindly share with us!

Thx.

Takwing,The biggest tweak I made(Because there is no Guest Additions yet and because I'm lazy) was to add the Windows Public folder to my Dock and to the Finder sidebar.This gives me an easy way to transfer and access files between the 2 systems.Just drag a file to the Public dock icon and it's copied to Windows,click the Dock icon and you get 1 click access to all the Windows public folders.

post-508916-1283610701_thumb.png

Simple to do and makes accessing files pretty seamless.

• 2 weeks later...
1. I've got an AMD processor, but is there any way to install OS X Snow Leopard in a new VM without using any patches or the need for EmpireEFI (so it boots like it would on a normal Mac)?

While this is possible in theory there are no virtualization software implementations known at the moment that do all the things needed to allow it. The problem is simple: CPUID of your host's CPU is not altered when passed to the guest. That's it: Mac OS X kernel running inside guest will spot that it is run on the AMD CPU leading to the immediate kernel panic (this it the Apple's way of telling: "use our original hardware"). As soon as some virtualization software would become available that would spoof CPUID to some "good" value for Mac OS X it would become possible to install Mac OS X on AMD CPU based host without any patches.

2. Is it possible to install OS X in VirtualBox as a 64-bit version that runs 64-bit apps?

YMMV. AFAIRK, it is perfectly normal for Mac OS X to run 64bit apps on systems with kernel running in 32bit mode. Trick is that there's a special "compatibility 64bit" protected mode defined in AMD64 architecture and that is the mode Mac OS X uses. You may still wish to force kernel to run in "native 64bit" mode but then you may get a lot of troubles, including:

*) All kexts must be designed/compiled for 64bit native mode and that is not the case for various "hackintosh" kexts you most probably would like to use;

*) CPUs that don't support SSE3 would run into trouble: "hackintosh" SSE3 emulator don't work in native 64bit mode (yet);

*) Running Mac OS X kernel in native 64bit mode is in general not-so-well tested even on the original Apple's hardware, so you may encounter some bugs not yet discovered and fixed by Apple;

*) Virtualizing 64bit architecture is a relatively harder task and it is also not-so-well tested comparing with ordinary IA-32. Take a look into VirtualBOX changelogs for last years: most bugs fixed are related to the AMD64 virtualization.

Last but not least - the only point in using 64bit mode is to have access to more than 4Gb of RAM. As VirtualBOX currently is not capable of running Mac OS X guest with more than about 2.5Gb of RAM there's absolutely no point in using native 64bit mode inside guest.

Quick question: Did VirtualBox staff tell any ETA to Guest Additions release date?

Quick answer: no.

I finally got the Windows network to show up in the Finder sidebar.

On the Windows 7 host go to Network and Sharing Center then to Change adapter settings.

Now highlight VirtualBox Host-Only Network and whatever connection you use for Windows(in my case Wireless Network Connection).

Next right click to bring up the context menu and select Bridge Connection,follow the prompts and your done.

Start Snow Leopard and you should see something like this in finder!

post-508916-1284820439_thumb.jpg

I suppose there's no way to force a custom screen resolution, like 1280 x 919?

There's a way but it is pretty hard: you should define custom vesa videomode in VirtualBox, turn off VirtualBox'es EFI support, install advanced bootloader like Chameleon and configure it to use custom vesa video mode you had previously defined. Still this might not work with the recent versions of VBox/MacOS/Chameleon - I had only tried to do this several months ago with beta version of VBox 3.2 and older versions of other software.

is it possible to use more then 2gb on mac os x guest on win7 (host) with virtualbox last updated?

if i set more than 2048mb the system will crash before booting. with less than 2gb mac os works fine. ;)

mac os is original, not hacked, updated to last one (10.6.4 10F569).

i saw this problem since the virtualbox release 3.1 and mac os 10.6.1 (my fisrt installation)

my pc is:

Intel i7 920

Asus Rampage II Gene

6Gb Corsair

many thanks

if i set more than 2048mb the system will crash before booting. with less than 2gb mac os works fine. :wacko:

mac os is original, not hacked, updated to last one (10.6.4 10F569).

i saw this problem since the virtualbox release 3.1 and mac os 10.6.1 (my fisrt installation)

This bug is in the VBOX EFI implementation and there were claims in VirtualBOX Trac that it was partly fixed months ago. If it is still here - try to report a bug to the VBOX bugtracker.

This bug is in the VBOX EFI implementation and there were claims in VirtualBOX Trac that it was partly fixed months ago. If it is still here - try to report a bug to the VBOX bugtracker.

so, please can you explain me what shall i do to avoid this bug?

so, please can you explain me what shall i do to avoid this bug?

You should inform VirtualBOX developers that the bug is not fixed and help them fixing it any way you can.

Try starting with posting bug report to the official VirtualBOX bugtracker.

You should inform VirtualBOX developers that the bug is not fixed and help them fixing it any way you can.

Try starting with posting bug report to the official VirtualBOX bugtracker.

i red in ticket of bug that to use more than 2Gb i shuldn't set more 64Mb of video memory, while i usually keep it at 128Mb.

later I'll try.

Hallo everybody!!

Had no problem to install Osx 10.6 into VirtualBox 3.2.8 onto my computer.

I use Win7x64 with 5 GB Ram attached to the motherboard.

As I said Installation worked fine but after starting the installed VM and tried to start

a program in the Mac VM I got a message from VirtualBox that there isn´t enough memory ;(((

When I look into the process manager I still have about 2,5 GB free memory left when VB runs.

I tried different memory sizes for the VM but nothing helps.

Only thing which works is to switch off in my computers bios the function "Memory remap Feature".

That gives 64Bit OS access to the memory area behind 3 GB.

So my question: Can´t VB handle x64 systems or is there any change I have to make to my VM?

Thanx in advance for your answers!!

• 3 weeks later...

Concerning qe/ci, I see some guides use vmware instead of virtualbox and they do install "VMWare Tools". Does this mean that qe/ci is available when you run mac os x via vmware?

And another question: if qe and ci are available, will I be able to run aperture? Or will that program check for specific hardware requirements and block virtualbox because it doesn't emulate the latest and greatest video cards? (Or will virtualbox show my real video card to aperture)?

• 3 weeks later...
Concerning qe/ci, I see some guides use vmware instead of virtualbox and they do install "VMWare Tools". Does this mean that qe/ci is available when you run mac os x via vmware?

We all would appreciate if you would take care check it and report here.

Hallo everybody!!

Had no problem to install Osx 10.6 into VirtualBox 3.2.8 onto my computer.

I use Win7x64 with 5 GB Ram attached to the motherboard.

As I said Installation worked fine but after starting the installed VM and tried to start

a program in the Mac VM I got a message from VirtualBox that there isn´t enough memory ;(((

When I look into the process manager I still have about 2,5 GB free memory left when VB runs.

I tried different memory sizes for the VM but nothing helps.

Only thing which works is to switch off in my computers bios the function "Memory remap Feature".

That gives 64Bit OS access to the memory area behind 3 GB.

So my question: Can´t VB handle x64 systems or is there any change I have to make to my VM?

Thanx in advance for your answers!!

I am running vb and get macosx installed on my 64bit win7 w/o problems

Well, I've successfully installed to VB 3.2.10 r66523.

It has quirks such as unable to show [About this Mac]. But it does successfully boot without a boot CD, can surf the web, and while I haven't tried much with it yet, it seems to run pretty well.

But what about things like video card emulation? Sound? So far I can only use 1024x768 resolution, and no audio. Is there a way to fix these things? I know this is lame, for the most part, but I'm really looking for any post install stuff I can add now that I have the VM working.

Thanks,

A

Edit: I should mention that I installed 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.4, and I used the Nawcom ModCD to build.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to warn users of Mac OS X under VirtualBOX about updating to 10.6.5: most likely you would end up with unusable system due to problems with the initialization of the USB controller kext supplied with 10.6.5 mach_kernel. I hadn't fixed this yet on my installation due to the lack of time but it is known bug a lot of OSx86 users had reported here, so I expect the solution to be available and pretty simple anyway.

Well, unfortunately it seems that it is another bad day for VirtualBOX users running Mac OS X as a guest on a host equipped with AMD CPU. I had resolved the issue I've got after updating to the Mac OS X 10.6.5 via "System Update" and now my system runs normally, but the upgrade path is not that simple (and I can't really test is as it requires a lot of time I'm lack of).

To be short: 10.6.5 update includes new versions of basic system drivers (kexts) that require 10.5.0 version of kernel to load up correctly. Lucky boys on Intel CPU equipped machines that were using vanilla kernel would have no problems with this update. Rest are out of luck. In case you've got AMD CPU or recent Intel CPU that is not supported by vanilla Mac OS X kernel and you've been using so-called "legacy_kernel" in 10.6.3/10.6.4 times, then you would end up with inaccessible system after updating to 10.6.5 and rebooting due to USB kexts from 10.6.5 would not be able to load up correctly with your older 10.6.4/10.6.3 legacy_kernel.

There are several ways I may offer to overcome this problem:

1. Download and use combo 10.6.5 update instead of "System Update" to update the system. This would allow you to install an update without forced reboot just after the update giving you a chance to update the legacy_kernel to the 10.5.0 version. So, do it in the following order:

a) Download combo 10.6.5 update.

B) Download nawcom's legacy kernel 10.5.0 package from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1593856

c) Install combo update, DO NOT AGREE TO REBOOT AFTER THE INSTALL.

d) Install nawcom's legacy kernel 10.5.0 package. DO NOT ENABLE "-force64". DO NOT REBOOT YET.

e) Go to the terminal, become root (sudo -i), make a backup of 10.6.5 original kernel and copy the legacy_kernel to the mach_kernel:

# sudo -i
Enter your password:
# cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.10.6.5.original
# cp /legacy_kernel /mach_kernel

f) Edit the system com.apple.Boot.plist and point it to the mach_kernel instead of legacy_kernel. There seems to be a bug in the Mac OS X boot.efi (or - maybe - the bug in the OpenFirmware UEFI that is used by VirtualBOX) that prevents original Mac OS X bootloader to load the kernel from the files other than /mach_kernel. Check the kernel args to use "arch=i386" and not to include "-force64" switch. I had failed to boot the kernel with x86-64 support enabled, so if you want to give it a try - do it on your own and be prepared to end up with unbootable system.

g) Cross fingers and reboot the system. If all went fine then you should end up with working updated system.

2. Instead of updating kernel and system at the same time you may with to try to use special USB drivers published by Andy in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237960 . Having them installed you might be able to update the system using "System Update" tool and got USB working. If you're lucky then you may proceed with installing updated legacy_kernel after the reboot. If not - you're out of luck and would be forced to find a way to manually update the mach_kernel inside your installation of Mac OS X with the one published by Andy in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237538

Upd. 3. I had forgot another way to boot into your USB-malfunctioning updated system: use the wonderful successor to the EmpireEFI called "nawcom ModCD". You may fetch it from the nawcom's blog pages: http://blog.nawcom.com/ . Good luck with it.

Upd 2. No luck with nawcom ModCD - it includes older legacy_kernel, so USB wouldn't work. So you had to use method #1 or #2 instead and wait until updated boot CD shows up with xnu 10.6.5 kernel included.

• 2 weeks later...