Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

Yeah, users of "unsupported" processors still need to use NullCPUPowerManagement and/or a patched kernel depending on the "degree of the unsupportness". Lucky enough should be able to use fully vanilla Mac OS X with HD sound working (using Intel HD audio emulation introduced in VBox 4.0) and booting with the EFI from the SATA-emulated hard drive.

I hadn't had a free minute to install beta version of VirtualBOX 4.0 and check about how good is the sound with the Intel HD. takwing, had you tried it? Had you been able to use vanilla Apple AudioHDA kext or was it required to use VoodooHDA instead?

Yeah, users of "unsupported" processors still need to use NullCPUPowerManagement and/or a patched kernel depending on the "degree of the unsupportness". Lucky enough should be able to use fully vanilla Mac OS X with HD sound working (using Intel HD audio emulation introduced in VBox 4.0) and booting with the EFI from the SATA-emulated hard drive.

I hadn't had a free minute to install beta version of VirtualBOX 4.0 and check about how good is the sound with the Intel HD. takwing, had you tried it? Had you been able to use vanilla Apple AudioHDA kext or was it required to use VoodooHDA instead?

I would say the sound is "working"... though intermittent pause is observed.

Takwing and LeXa2,

Do you know if it is possible to install SL on VB with 512 RAM?

My Ubuntu system keeps slowing down when installing SL.

My system setup is:

Ubuntu 10.10

Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz

2GB RAM

Intel 950GMA chipset.

I hope u can help me with a solution to speed up VB and bot slow it down when installing SL.

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

I don't run VB under ubuntu... but I think the default should be ok...

the major problem is to set the settings for your VM.

there are people saying that they can install SL by using VB's EFI directly... but for myself, I have to use Empire EFI first for installation and then later to switch to VB's EFI (for details, u can see my guide)

Do you know if it is possible to install SL on VB with 512 RAM?

My Ubuntu system keeps slowing down when installing SL.

My experiments turned out that 1Gb is a minimal requirement. I hadn't been able to successfully install SL when the guest RAM amount was set to 512Mb (and even with 768Mb installation had hanged at about the middle of the file copying process).

What the optimal config for VB under Ubuntu 10.10?

Also can SL be installed using VB's EFI instead of Empire EFI?

If by "config" you mean hardware - then it is the system with an Intel-based CPU that had been used in original Apple hardware and is also capable of Intel Virtualisation Extensions (VT-x). Memory amount is insignificant as long as you have at least 3Gb of it (1Gb for guest and 2Gb for host would be fine for general use).

If you're talking about guest VM config, then take some time and read takwing's guide. You would find all the info you need there.

Installation of SL from vanilla Install DVD using VirtualBOX EFI is possible in case you had configured your guest VM with SMC extradata and your host is equipped with CPU that had been used in original Apple's hardware. For all other cases you would be required to use either EmpireEFI or nawcom Mod CD to boot into installer.

hi I'm trying to use virtualbox to install osx - using Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.iso, however when I tried to boot the insstallation, viirtualbox pop up a message saying that PAE is required to run but PAE is disabled in the setting, then the VM was turned off, I checked the setting, the PAE/NX seeting is checked, but I noticed that the option is in grey, what does that mean? does it mean my processor doesn't have PAE? anyone help? my processor is intel pentium M 1.40GHz, thanks

... does it mean my processor doesn't have PAE? anyone help? my processor is intel pentium M 1.40GHz, thanks

Unfortunately, yes. Your CPU isn't NX/PAE capable.

Here is a list of Intel Pentium M processors from which you may easily check that your CPU is only capable of MMX, SSE, SSE2 and Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Sad but true.

Unfortunately, yes. Your CPU isn't NX/PAE capable.

Here is a list of Intel Pentium M processors from which you may easily check that your CPU is only capable of MMX, SSE, SSE2 and Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Sad but true.

oh... :( thank you anyway! ;)

I stupidly updated my VirtualBox from an earlier version to 3.2.8 to be able to use a larger

percentage of the host memory. Now, it looks like the VBM.zip patch no longer works.

(Yes, I tried to reinstall it.)

Is there an updated version of the VBM.zip file for 3.2.8 (or any later Virtualbox version)?

I'll admit I didn't read all 44 pages of this thread, but the initial post is where I got VBM.zip

when I used it to install mac originally.

Sadly, it looks like Mr. Black Trinitron hasn't posted since March.

Do I need to revert to VB 3.1.4?

New 4.0 version!

Enjoy new EFI video mode :wub: (4 & 5 tested)

There are my extra lines in the XML/vbox file in <ExtraData>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="N"/>

EfiGopMode = N
0=640x480
1=800x600
2=1024x768
3=1280x1024
4=1440x900
5=1920x1200

With these lines install OSX SL 100% vanilly without extra kexts! (You may need patched kernel, AMD user)

How to:

1/ Take your SL install DVD

2/ Create the VB machine, OSX server ;-)

3/ Add these 3 lines in the XML/vbox file (C:\Users\yourunesernam\.VirtualBox)

4/ Install

5/ Take a coffee!

Merry christmas!

New 4.0 version!

With these lines install OSX SL 100% vanilly without extra kexts!

Side note: vanilla install won't be possible on each and every workstations. The requirement is that the CPU needs to match any of that had been used by Apple in original Macs.

Thanks LeXa2 for the reminder.

And in such a case, we still need to use EmpireEFI to kick of the installation, then do other settings / install necessary kext files (e.g. I have to install the NullCPUPowerManagement kext file for my Intel iCore5-750 system)

Only after that we can switch back to VB's EFI.

I believe for AMD system, more settings is required...

for details, please see my step-by-step guide and FAQs at http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/index.php

for v3.2.x, the Trinitron patch is no longer required.

see: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/page2.html

Thanks but that link describes installing a new copy of the OS.

In my case, I want to save my existing install that I installed under 3.1.2 with the original

VBM.zip patch. I tried just removing the extra lines that I added to ExtraData

(the ones mentioned in the first post) but when I start, I get the apple with the

spinning circle that keep spinning forever.

Do I need to do some repair of the OS or rebuild the kexts? I forgot most of what I did originally

to get it working.

Do I need to do some repair of the OS or rebuild the kexts? I forgot most of what I did originally

to get it working.

Well, it's hard to tell what would you need to do to get the system up and working, but at least you may wish to try the following:

1. Remove fakesmc.kext, EvOReboot.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext in case you've got installed any of them. Rebuild kext caches (use pfix for this - this wonderful tool makes the life much easier).

2. Remove all the extradata from the VM xml file. The only extradata you should have in it is the smc-key related.

3. Make sure your VM uses ICH6 IDE controller and the MacOS system virtual hard is connected to primary master port of it.

4. Enable EFI in VM properties, try to boot into it. It you had done all the things right now you should be able to see debug output of the kernel during bootup. So it either would boot normally (and you would be happy with it) or it would stuck at some place and you would be able to take a photo of the screen and post it here so we might be able to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks LeXa2 for the reminder.

And in such a case, we still need to use EmpireEFI to kick of the installation, then do other settings / install necessary kext files (e.g. I have to install the NullCPUPowerManagement kext file for my Intel iCore5-750 system)

Only after that we can switch back to VB's EFI.

I believe for AMD system, more settings is required...

for details, please see my step-by-step guide and FAQs at http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/index.php

So I'm generally confused about what kind of disk is actually required to get this to work. When people say "Retail" disk, does this mean I CANNOT use an install disk that came with a Mac? Further, converting dmg images of "Retail" disks to ISO didn't appear to work either.

When I tried this guide

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb4...nowl/index.html

with the abovementioned options, one of two things happens:

1) EmpireEFI never detects that I switched disks

2) It hangs after it loads a few drivers, never gets to the install screen.

Am I just using a wrong disk?

Thanks

Rafael

Hey guys and gals,

Could you help me? I was wondering if i could get OSX 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 on my system as a VM whether by Virtualbox, VMWKST7 or any others.... Here is my build:

NEW BUILD:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (8GB Total)

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Included but probably not important. Just being exact:

PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC"Compatible ...

RAID Card for extra drives: Rosewill RC-212 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G / IDE ATA 133 Controller Card / Supports Raid 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, non-RAID mode

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

Case: COOLER MASTER Cosmos Pure Black Aluminum / SGCC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey guys and gals,

Could you help me? I was wondering if i could get OSX 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 on my system as a VM whether by Virtualbox, VMWKST7 or any others.... Here is my build:

NEW BUILD:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (8GB Total)

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Included but probably not important. Just being exact:

PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC"Compatible ...

RAID Card for extra drives: Rosewill RC-212 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G / IDE ATA 133 Controller Card / Supports Raid 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, non-RAID mode

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

Case: COOLER MASTER Cosmos Pure Black Aluminum / SGCC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Any help would be appreciated.

not why? just go ahead and try

probably my guide would be useful to you too.

a lot of stuff stripped out to cut the quote size

The only info relevant to run the Mac OS X under VirtualBOX is the model of your CPU. I might be wrong but it seems to me that your CPU is too new and there are no official Apple Mac computers out there with this CPU installed. Knowing that I want to warn you that you'd most probably get the "black screen" kernel panic if you'd try to install using native Mac OS X kernel. And you would definitely have no luck at using any Mac OS X versions prior to 10.6.6 with native kernel. Chances are that Apple is going to update the hardware of Mac computers soon and their configurations would include Core i7 CPU. If that's a case then there might be that support for this CPU had been introduced in the kernel shipped with 10.6.6.

On the other hand, nothing stops you to install 10.6.5 version of Mac OS X with the patched legacy kernel and use it as a base for testing. Who knows, may be you'd be lucky enough to get 10.5.0 vanilla kernel (the version shipped with OS X 10.6.5) to work with your CPU under VirtualBOX. Succeeding with it would mean that it is safe for you to update to 10.6.6.

So, what's the point to ask ;-)? Just give it a try, as takwing had already said.