Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I updated the mach_kernel to the legacy_kernel by following Takwing's set of instructions

from this link ---> http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

by bringing up the Safari browser within OS X VM. I executed the Install program,

as it updated the root directory with the legacy_kernel.

I updated the com.apple.Boot.plist by doing the following:

==============================================

sudo -s

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

nano com.apple.Boot.plist

==============================================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<string>busratio=14</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I then rebooted the OS X VM, and it doesn't boot up and it shows the following screen image.

It seems, it is much easier to boot up with EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600 ( .iso )

each time, and then select the OS X VM volume to bring up the OS X VM.

Now, I have to completely reinstall the whole OS X VM again...( sigh )

I even took a snapshot(Snapshot1) of the OS X VM, and I cannot get this to come up properly.

post-630436-1278887466_thumb.png

I updated the mach_kernel to the legacy_kernel by following Takwing's set of instructions ....

I updated the com.apple.Boot.plist by doing the following: ....

It had been told to you from the very beginning: carefully read up the takwing guide and follow it's steps exactly.

Success ratio for people doing like this is about 99%.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
     <key>Kernel</key>
     <key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Your modifications are wrong. It should look like this (it had been already posted in this thread be my before several times!):

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
     <key>Kernel</key>
     <key>Kernel Flags</key>
     <string>arch=i386 busratio=14</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I then rebooted the OS X VM, and it doesn't boot up and it shows the following screen image.

VirtualBOX EFI must be enabled in the VM settings to be able to boot Mac OS X without external bootloaders (EmpireEFI/KakeWalk/Chameleon). You should have shutdown your VM after finishing with the required modifications and then go into the System/Motherboard config page and check the checkbox "Enable EFI (special OSes only)".

EmpireEFI did not detect the DVD properly, as I was getting the EBIOS Read Errors.

That is because your "passthrough" option wasn't active. It seems to me that you're on Windows 7, so it might be needed to start up the VirtualBOX as Administrator for "Passthrough" option to work. Another way is to create the ISO image of the installation DVD and use it instead - and that is just what you had done.

Last of all, I cannot refer to a specific program to run in VBoxAdditions3.2.6,

because there isn't a specific file/pgm/pkg to execute, so that the OS X VM

screen takes up the whole screen space---current image is shown below.

You will notice that there is some space surrounding the OS X VM screen

within VirtualBox's main screen.

VirtualBOX guest addition for the Mac OS X guests are not available (yet, it had been told on the VBox forums that they are being worked on). Currently Mac OS X uses the framebuffer interface that is provided by EFI Firmware and thus can't change the screen resolution on-the-fly. Search this forum thread back for the meaning of the "EfiGopMode" variable. Another place to read is VirtualBOX help - there's information about EFI GOP modes control there.

P.S. Do not use "code" BB to quote other people messages, use "quote" code instead.

P.P.S. I can hardly believe that you had crashed Mac OS X installation to the point it should be reinstalled. Incorrect modifications to the com.apple.Boot.plist might be fixed by booting into the Mac OS X installation DVD and using the Terminal app from there (don't forget to mount your Mac OS X system volume using Disk Utility).

P.P.P.S. Don't forget to either to remove power management kext or to install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Read up takwing guide once again for details - it is all there.

I completely forgot(my fault!) about resetting in VirtualBox System/Motherboard

config page and re-check the checkbox "Enable EFI (special OSes only)".

I had to make sure this line is in the OS X VM ( .xml ) file in the machines folder-directory,

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="busratio=14"/>

even though it( busratio=14 ) is specified in the com.apple.Boot.plist file,

because I would otherwise get the famous 0 value returned that causes

the kernel panic for the rtclock_init error.

I just re-did Takwing's (legacy_kernel) installation program, and he

has really simplified the whole process, by updating the com.apple.Boot.plist

file, and also setting the correct permissions and woner on the legacy_kernel

file in the root directory-folder. This is a big plus for those people who aren't

very familiar with Unix and its directory navigation and so on.

For the screen resolution --- I followed Takwing's instructions

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/virtual_snowl/page15_display.html

If I have the <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="3"/>

in the OS X VM ( .xml ) file in the machines folder, it forces the EFI screen

resolution and OS X VM screen resolution to be 1280 x 1024.

If I remove this <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="3"/>

from the OS X VM ( .xml ) file in the machines folder and when if I specify

a screen resolution of 1152 x 799 as follows:

<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1152x799x32"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastCloseAction" value="powerOff"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1024,768"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="0,0,0,0,max"/>

the screen resolution is set to 1024 x 768 as shown below.

How can I change this screen resolution easily?

I really appreciate you guys helping, and do realize now, how easy it really is to

install the Retail Snow Leopard DVD or ( .iso ) on a AMD Phenom II computer now.

I think the key thing that really helped, was using the EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600( .iso )

as the bootloader. As you noticed in its name, it is made for AMD computers.

Another thing I can't seem to resolve and I think Takwing had posted onto

the VirtualBox Forum --- that is to be able to turn off the verbose messages

while booting up OS X VM, so that only the Apple Logo is displayed.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&p=146497

Again, thank you!!!

Here is the screen image showing the verbose messages during post

installation bootup of OS X VM after when the legacy_kernel is installed.

post-630436-1278920637_thumb.png

post-630436-1278921654_thumb.png

post-630436-1278921945_thumb.png

post-630436-1278922115_thumb.png

In regards to the topic of screen resolution in VirtualBox VM machines.

My primary host Windows7 OS has a screen resolution of 1152 x 864

For all of the Guest OS VM, the horizontal and vertical scroll bars

( if the scroll bars are visable ) can be moved, however in the

Snow Leopard Guest OS VM, they cannot be moved at all, especially

if I have placed the following line as shown below in the ( .xml )

file in the C:\Users\**username**\.VirtualBox\Machines folder:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="3"/>

the above line forces the screen resolution to be 1280 x 1024,

both in the EFI screen and also in the Guest OS VM screen.

I have Mandriva(32 Bit) Linux installed as VM Guest OS too, and when I

have installed the required Guest Additions so the screen resolution can

be automatically adjusted based on the primary host screen resolution.

When after I exit the Mandriva(32 Bit) VM and look at the ( .xml )

file in the C:\Users\**username**\.VirtualBox\Machines folder, the

screen resolution has been set to 1152 x 799 as shown below:

</ExtraData>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1152,799"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/MiniToolBarAlignment" value="bottom"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime" value="yes"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ShowMiniToolBar" value="yes"/>

</ExtraData>

I also have Ubuntu(32 Bit) Linux installed as VM Guest OS too, and when I

have installed the required Guest Additions so the screen resolution can

be automatically adjusted based on the primary host screen resolution.

When after I exit the Ubuntu(32 Bit) VM and look at the ( .xml )

screen resolution has been set to 1152 x 864 as shown below:

</ExtraData>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1152,864"/>

</ExtraData>

For the Retail Snow Leopard VM installed as VM Guest OS, when after

I exit the Snow Leopard VM and look at the ( .xml )

screen resolution has been set to 1024 x 768 as shown below, but I

would like the screen resolution to be set to 1152 x 799

</ExtraData>

<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1152x799x32"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1024,768"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="busratio=14"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

</ExtraData>

What can I do, so the screen resolution can automatically be adjusted in Snow Leopard VM?

In VirtualBox's VM Guest OS main menu, there is an item Adjust Window Size.

In regards to the topic of screen resolution in VirtualBox VM machines.

My primary host Windows7 OS has a screen resolution of 1152 x 864

What can I do, so the screen resolution can automatically be adjusted in Snow Leopard VM?

In VirtualBox's VM Guest OS main menu, there is an item Adjust Window Size.

Once again: there is no VirtualBOX guest additions for the Mac OS X guests available at the moment. Thus it is impossible to use user-defined resolutions in the Mac OS X guests except for the standard EFI GOP resolutions available in VirtualBOX. I had suggested you to read up the VirtulaBOX manual for details, but it seems that you had ignored it. Well, here is the direct link describing VirtualBOX's EFI GOP implementation:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#efividmode

Another thing I can't seem to resolve and I think Takwing had posted onto

the VirtualBox Forum --- that is to be able to turn off the verbose messages

while booting up OS X VM, so that only the Apple Logo is displayed.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&p=146497

This is the VirtualBOX's EFI specific behavior. It seems to me that it is unlikely to be fixed soon as VBOX devs have got more important things to fix.

Thanks takwing for your help, I am following your guide.

Passthrough cannot be enabled because it is greyed out. (It is the same in your screenshot in the guide)

I am installing this on the bootcamp partition of my imac. Just a test as I will have to install it on someone else's computer.

Note also that the error message I said earlier is not the only error, here is the big one:

unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI" @/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IoPlatformExpert.cpp:2389

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Even though Passthrough cannot be enabled because it is greyed out, it can be enable or set to "true" by editing the specific Guest OS VM ( .xml ) file in the Machines folder. Scroll down to the bottom of the file.

i'm on 10.6.2 .. well.. i'm going to upgrade to 10.6.3 (i read on some Mac forums that 10.6.3 is a little slower than 10.6.2 )

[EDIT] panics seems to be disappered... it's possible that with PAE the system slowdown(a little)?

LeXa2 suggested that I purchase a Retail Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3 ( $29.00 ). You can install this version of Snow Leopard without the need of having a previous Leopard installation. It will install onto a cleanly formatted harddrive. This was a very good suggestion, plus I used the EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600.iso for the initial EFI bootloader as I have a AMD Phenom II CPU. You can Google for this bootloader to download it. The Snow Leopard installation was a breeze, with the help from LeXa2. Another thing I had to do, in order to prvent the rtclock_init kernel panic, was to add a line to the Guest OS VM ( .xml ) file as <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="busratio=14"/> The busratio of 14 is what is specified for my AMD Phenom II CPU.

PLUS, LeXa2 also suggested to add another line as <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

Takwing provided a really good installation program to update the mach_kernel to the legacy_kernel. While you are in Snow Leopard VM and you see the desktop, then select the Safari browser and goto Google and type in ...> legacy_kernel Takwing <.... OR you can go to this link http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

Thank you LeXa2 and Takwing for all your help, and I do hope you all are making progress too.

It would be perfect if we can hide those messages....I will try to look that up...

I have the same thing in all of my Guest OS VMs I have installed. I have posted this problem onto VirtualBox Forum for a solution --- either to redirect these messages to a specific msg-log file while booting up and/or simply to turn these messages off. I also have Mandriva Linux OS and Ubuntu Linux OS installed as Guest OS VM with VirtualBox Version 3.2.6 r63112 on a Windows7 OS(primary host) computer with AMD Phenom II CPU.

For those of you who have trouble in installing the Snow Leopard(Retail) DVD 10.6.3 --- make an ( .iso ) from the DVD and reference this ( .iso ) file in your Snow Leopard VM after when you have booted up with EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600.iso, and then goto Devices and switch to the Snow Leopard.iso file, then press the F5 key --- you will then see Snow Leopard info appear on the bootloader screen, then simply press the Enter key --- the SL installation will then start.

To get around the EBIOS read errors when trying to install Retail Snow Leopard DVD(10.6.3), you would have to edit your OSx ( .xml ) file in Machines folder, and set the passthrough="true" in the StorageController section near the very bottom of this ( .xml ) file --- something like this:

<AttachedDevice passthrough="true" type="DVD" port="1" device="0"/>

I have read up about the "quiet" option to be passed as parm to the kernel, and came across some detailed information on setting flags in the com.apple.Boot.plist file in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration directory.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options

Here is my com.apple.Boot.plist --- these settings don't seem to turn off the messages that appear ontop of the Apple Logo when the kernel is booting up.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Here is Apple's Developers Manual to the logging of kernel information.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/doc..._logging.8.html

Image shown below are the messages that appear ontop of the Apple Logo.

post-630436-1279056385_thumb.png

For those of you who has a problem in getting the USB Flash Drive recognized by the Guest OS VM, especially when having a Windows7 OS (primary host). This may be applicable with other primary host Operating Systems too. To fix this, bring up VirtualBox GUI, and select the specific VM, then go into the Settings and select USB. Create a Blank Filter with no information in it. Initially, when you create a Blank Filter, it will display "New Filter 1", then select the icon along the right side to edit this blank filter, and you can rename it to "Blank Filter". Shown below is an image of how I did it for Snow Leopard VM. When you start up the Snow Leopard VM, and SL Desktop is displayed. Now, plug in the USB Flash Drive --- initially, it will update the SL VM with the USB Driver and then the USB image will appear on the desktop. If you close the SL VM, then the primary host will now have access to the USB Flash Drive.

Takwing and LeXa2,

I have tried so many different things to turn off the verbose messages that are displayed onto the Snow Leopard VM screen when it is started up. I even updated the com.apple.Boot.plist with the <key>Boot Quiet</key> <string>Yes</string> as documented in several different places.

I could be wrong, somehow I think these verbose messages are printed out by something within Snow Leopard when the mach_kernel is started. I don't understand why the above key-string does not solve this, in preventing those verbose messages from displaying. Also, before when the Snow Leopard Apple Logo screen is displayed, there are some messages indicating SL VM is being booted up from where it is located. I would think these messages could be turned off by the EFIBootArgs in the SL VM ( .xml ) file within the Machines folder.

Any ideas, or does somebody have to update something?

post-630436-1279176783_thumb.png

I have tried so many different things to turn off the verbose messages that are displayed onto the Snow Leopard VM screen when it is started up. I even updated the com.apple.Boot.plist with the <key>Boot Quiet</key> <string>Yes</string> as documented in several different places.

I could be wrong, somehow I think these verbose messages are printed out by something within Snow Leopard when the mach_kernel is started. I don't understand why the above key-string does not solve this, in preventing those verbose messages from displaying. Also, before when the Snow Leopard Apple Logo screen is displayed, there are some messages indicating SL VM is being booted up from where it is located. I would think these messages could be turned off by the EFIBootArgs in the SL VM ( .xml ) file within the Machines folder.

Any ideas, or does somebody have to update something?

I had posted all the info about why does this messages show up in this thread before several times.

Also I had had a small discussion with one of VBOX devs and had posted conclusion on the appropriate VBox forums thread. There's nothing to add: a.t.m. there's no way to get rid of this messages due to differences between Apple's and VBOX's EFI implementations. Both implementations are more-or-less in conformance with UEFI standard, so nobody it going to fix it.

LeXa2,

It might be true that VirtualBox developers probably won't fix it. Question is, why doesn't the <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> not work right, when it is specified in the com.apple.Boot.plist as documented in several places? The com.apple.Boot.plist file isn't read by VirtualBox's EFI bootloader -- is it?

Question is, why doesn't the <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> not work right, when it is specified in the com.apple.Boot.plist as documented in several places? The com.apple.Boot.plist file isn't read by VirtualBox's EFI bootloader -- is it?

com.apple.Boot.plist file is being read by boot.efi - it wouldn't load legacy_kernel instead of mach_kernel in opposite case. IMHO, this flag has slightly different meaning - should bootloader instruct kernel to be verbose or not. And this seem to work: nothing other than the messages from bootloader loading up kernel got printed on the bootup screen.

Any fix for kernel panic on shutdown/reboot ?

Read takwing guide (http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/index.php), especially troubleshooting/FAQ section. Or take your time and read back about 5-10 pages of this thread. At last, use the forum search function!

Why do you people expect that it is fun to answer the same question dozens of times, especially when this question is answered in the public FAQ?

There were some reports of successful virtualization of Mac OS X on the CPUs without hardware virtualization support for VMware. Each and every report I had seen were mentioning downloading already installed VMware Mac OS X image and changing the settings of the VM. I doubt the stability of the Mac OS X when running inside VM without hardware virtualization support as it is known that the Mac OS X operating system uses rare IA-32 machine instructions that are not supported by the currents versions of the VMware and VirtualBOX on the CPUs without hardware vriatualization support. So you should expect the instability and a lot of hangs even in case you'd be so lucky to had the VM successfully startup.

I can confirm that there are some strange troubles with the Samba on the Mac OS X 10.6.3 installations under the VirtualBOX 3.2.x. The symptoms just like the ones you had described (endless "trying to connect..." window) are being spotted for the server machines running Windows XP, Windows 2000 and linux version of Samba 3.2.15. I hadn't had a chance to find some time to debug the problem with the Wireshark. Hope that I'll find some time to debug it this week.

Hi LeXa2,

I think it's a problem with the legacy_kernel. I have an amd phenom II x4 955, but when install the snow leo dvd and start with empire efi, the network works fine. Also the update 10.6.4 works fine. But when i install the legacy_kernel: no network connections.

The problem with the empire efi is, that i cannot change the resolution: the screen is on 1024x768.

lg

Humphrey

I think it's a problem with the legacy_kernel. I have an amd phenom II x4 955, but when install the snow leo dvd and start with empire efi, the network works fine. Also the update 10.6.4 works fine. But when i install the legacy_kernel: no network connections.

Hmm, that's possible but is not so obvious. Problem is that network connection is working in general (i.e. there's no problems browsing net with Safari, downloading using wget, e.t.c), but there are some troubles with accessing so-called CIFS network shares (so called "Windows shares"). So I think that the problems might be with the way how Samba software suite integrated into Mac OS X operates under VirtualBOX. In any case this requires a lot of testing and debug time waste, but I haven't got enough free time to proceed with it now.

The problem with the empire efi is, that i cannot change the resolution: the screen is on 1024x768.

Don't use Empire EFI to boot your installed system. Either switch to VBOX EFI or install Chameleon bootloader on your system volume and configure any it way you like changing com.apple.Boot.plist (ether "main system" one, or the separate one in the /Extra folder). There are special vars you may set in this file to control the display resolution Chameleon bootloader will set prior the Mac OS X bootup.

Hello again everybody...I've been away quite a while and I have taken some time to go again through the whole installation process, making sure that everything was in the right configuration.  

I will recap hereby the various steps I went through and the specs of my host system.

Host configuration

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
  • Mainboard: ECS Elitegroup GF8100VM-M5
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8100
  • Host OS: Windows XP
  • Virtualization engine: VirtualBox v3.2.4 (62467)

Procedure

1. I prepared a new virtual machine following takwing's guide;
  2. I installed Mac OSX using Snow Leopard Retail Disc for 10.6.3, once again following takwing's guide;
  3. I correctly accessed the newly created machine using Empire EFI;
  4. Wishing to go one step further, I installed Nawcom's 10.6.3 Legacy Kernel for Intel/AMD, according to takwing's guide;
  5. I instructed the VM to start using VirtualBox's EFI, and got a rtclock_init Kernel Panic, which I got rid of adding the "busratio=14" (bus multiplier ratio specific to AMD Athlon II X4 630) setting to the kernel boot parameters in the com.apple.Boot.plist file, as explained in takwing's guide.

In spite of all this, I'm still not able to run the VM using VirtualBox's EFI...I took a screenshot of what the VM displays to me

post-625399-1280234078_thumb.png

...after this the VM hangs and never gets to show me the graphic interface...

In your opinion what should I check next?

Thank you

Bruno

Hello, I have one problem that I can't seem to fix and that's the screen resolution. My current resolution is fixed at 1024x768, I've read many tutorials and other forum posts to assure me that there's a way to change it, however, I must either edit the VMs .xml or edit my Boot.plist file.

Now, I understand these two concepts perfectly, however I can't seem to boot into EFI (VirtualBox) mode, because it just comes up with some shell interface, and I can't boot into my OS. I understand that installing Legacy_Kernel will fix the problem (or at least that's what I thought it would, reading takwings site, because I'm running an AMD processor), but I can't seem to boot into Snow Leopard AT ALL, so I tried editing my Boot.plist. All I get is a screen with shell, and something about a startup file, and all I'm left with is Shell> and I can type words into it.

I undestand by using Empire EFI, Boot.plist doesn't effect how my system is loaded, so I must install Donate!

Chameleon bootloader, and I've done that but when I have to restart, I get the error under verbose mode, NO DSDT.aml found?, or if I run myHack, as instructed in another guide, I get "No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is".

I don't know what to do, I just want to run my resolution :(, 1280x1024.

Help please, Thanks :unsure:

... however I can't seem to boot into EFI (VirtualBox) mode, because it just comes up with some shell interface, and I can't boot into my OS.

This is know bug in the VBOX EFI implementation that I had reported to devs. It was given the lowest priority so don't expect it to be fixed soon. The problem is that current VBOX EFI implementation can't boot OS from the emulated SATA controller. You have to stick with PATA ICH6 controller to be able to boot into Mac OS X Guest using VirtualBOX EFI.

... so I tried editing my Boot.plist.

This method works only in case you had installed Chameleon bootloader and do not use VirtualBOX EFI. Screen resolution for Mac OS should be set by EFI. It might be either VBOX EFI (if you're using it - and then you should use EFIGopMode VBOX internal setting to select which resolution to use) or some other EFI-emulating bootloader (such as Chameleon) that is capable of setting the resolution of your choice.

All I get is a screen with shell, and something about a startup file, and all I'm left with is Shell> and I can type words into it.

This is VBOX EFI emergency shell. You had fallen into it most probably due to using SATA controller for HDD instead of PATA ICH6.

I undestand by using Empire EFI, Boot.plist doesn't effect how my system is loaded, so I must install Chameleon bootloader, and I've done that but when I have to restart, I get the error under verbose mode, NO DSDT.aml found?, or if I run myHack, as instructed in another guide, I get "No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is".

Looks like you had done something wrong when were installing Chameleon bootloader. This thread is not about installing and using Chameleon, so please ask for help about this in appropriate thread (or just create separate topic, or - even better - use google).

Hello, I have one problem that I can't seem to fix and that's the screen resolution. My current resolution is fixed at 1024x768, I've read many tutorials and other forum posts to assure me that there's a way to change it, however, I must either edit the VMs .xml or edit my Boot.plist file.

I don't know what to do, I just want to run my resolution :), 1280x1024.

Help please, Thanks :)

I know what you mean about the screen resolution. I wanted full screen, but was limited to 1024x768 also. I fixed mine some time ago, but I will try to remember the steps.

1. Run cmd.exe to get to a command prompt, then cd to the Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox folder. Then use the following command.

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "CustomVideoMode1" "1280x1024x32"

where "VM name" is the Virtual Machine name .

I also ran (dont know what the effect was):

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any

Changing EFI stuff seemed useless. Good Luck!

... Changing EFI stuff seemed useless. ...

Don't fool people with the wrong information. Custom video mode stuff only changes video modes available through VESA 2.0/3.0 and provided to the VBOX guest. In case you use VBOX EFI (and it is definitely not what you've been doing) this setting has no effect because VESA emulation is generally not available when using (U)EFI istead of BIOS - VESA is (mostly) real-mode firmware program while (U)EFI switches CPU into protected mode.

Adding custom VESA video mode only helps when you use some kind of "software" EFI emulation and set your guest VM to start up in BIOS mode (i.e. switch off VirtualBOX EFI support). In such case this videomode would be available to switch at using VBE (VESA BIOS EXTENSIONS) and it would be required to instruct EFI-emulating bootloader to do it.

If you want to get into this in more depth - download and read docs on the VESA/VBE and then look into VirtualBOX OSE sources.

Fact is, 'special EFI' is not enabled on my VB and using CustomVideoMode1 was the only thing that allowed me to go full screen at 1440x900x32. Period!

The only thing I cant get to work well is Finder doesnt like to Find networked computers. Connect to server works though.