Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

starik69,

The download link is simply a link for you to download the guide in PDF format.

While "There are no surveys available to your country at this time.", you can still read it online. (Simply use the "Next", "Prev" link at the bottom of the page for navigating through the onlin guide.)

Takwing, thank you for your tutorial. It really helped me to set up my OS X installation for VBox.

But I think there's a mistake in one part of the tutorial. At this link, you say that we must uncheck the feature "Enable IO APIC".

If we disable it, we won't be able to use more than 1 core, and I think that in every other tutorial they say to check that option.

Any way, I've left it checked and everything worked wonderfuly.

Takwing, thank you for your tutorial. It really helped me to set up my OS X installation for VBox.

But I think there's a mistake in one part of the tutorial. At this link, you say that we must uncheck the feature "Enable IO APIC".

If we disable it, we won't be able to use more than 1 core, and I think that in every other tutorial they say to check that option.

Any way, I've left it checked and everything worked wonderfuly.

Good catch!

That should be disable "Enable EFI".... I have no idea why I typed that.... as I told the reader to check against the screen dump for the settings (which is corrected shown).

Anyway, that had been updated in my page already.

That's the older version of the guide describing the installation of the Mac OS X Leopard - and that is Mac OS 10.5.x versions. AFAIK it was written in the times of VBox 3.1.x which needed the special patch to work with Mac OS X guests and was later updated to reflect the improvements introduced with the beta versions of the VBox 3.2.0 (i.e. - no more patches needed).

More recent version of the guide can be found here:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/index.html

This version is about installing Mac OS 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) on the latest versions of the VirtualBOX 3.2.x.

Hi there, LeXa2 and takwing!

So I managed to get a Mac OS 10.6.3 retail DVD, followed the Snow Leopard guide by takwing and finally I am able to boot Snow Leopard...using Empire EFI.

I installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and fakesmc.kext: no problems!

I then witnessed the inability to boot using VirtualBox's EFI...and so I went on with the "legacy kernel" patch (I have a Athlon II X4 processor)...and here comes the issue!

On rebooting, I get the following screen: http://yfrog.com/9dlegacykernelj

What could the cause be?

Anyway, considering where I started from, I see it as a minor issue...

Thanks a lot!

BG

I installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and fakesmc.kext: no problems!

Do not install the "fakesmc.kext" in case you want your VM to be able successfully reboot/shutdown without kernel panics. How to get rid of already installed "fakescm.kext" was described few pages earlier in this thread and there is a separate guide page about this also.

I then witnessed the inability to boot using VirtualBox's EFI...and so I went on with the "legacy kernel" patch (I have a Athlon II X4 processor)...and here comes the issue!

On rebooting, I get the following screen: http://yfrog.com/9dlegacykernelj

What could the cause be?

Looks like your "legacy_kernel" file is somehow broken. This might be either the VBox EFI bug (make sure you've got the latest 3.2.4 version build r62467) or a real on-disk data corruption (there was a bug in VBox 3.2.0 and 3.2.2 that was causing data corruptions on the dynamically expanding virtual hard disks images - you might be a victim of a that or a similar bug, depending of the VBox version you have). So if I were you I would proceed with the updating the VirtualBOX to the latest version and then would try to re-install the legacy kernel package. Hopefully it would fix the things.

hi all,

iATKOS S3 is released!

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/news/iatkos_s3.html

Can some using AMD CPU give it a try and see if that works for you?

I backed up my Snow Leopard VDI as a failsafe, but I successfully updated to 10.6.4 and all seems well.

I have updated to 10.6.4 also.

I got an error screen near the end of the installation process and got sound issues afterwards. They have been resolved, see my post for the details.... http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/news/macosx_1064.html

Updated to the 10.6.4 using Mac OS X built-in autoupdater.

First time it tried to install the update the VM hanged about in the middle of the "Updating files..." step.

I was forced to do a VM reset. After the reset the system have done an fsck on the root volume, fixed some errors and booted up still showing 10.6.3 in "About this Mac..." box.

I had started the autoupdate process one again and it went smoothly this time.

After a reboot (it was successful as I had configured EFI to boot using legacy_kernel that obviously wasn't touched by the update process) I've got Mac OS X 10.6.4 up and running. There are big still problems with the sound driver but they are just the same it were with 10.6.3.

I'm not able to run SL 10.6.3 on VB 3.2.4 using more then 2 Gb of RAM........... ;)

it's normal to have in the virtulal machine's options "Mac Os X server" instead of "Mac OS X" when i have to choose if the system is 32bit or 64bit? i've never seen it since the release of VB 3.2.4.

Please check what is the video memory set for your VM. If you are using 128MB, then try lowering it to 64MB.

I have the same problem as you... but when I set the video memory to 64MB, my SL VM can be started with 3GB of RAM.

First i want to say, THIS COMMUNITY IS AMAZING!!!

Now here is my problem,

I get to the installation window, and when it asks me to "Select a Destination" its blank...

Any help would be awesome!

Running VirtualBox 3.1.2

First of all, I have noticed that you are running VB 3.1.2... I strongly suggest upgrading to VB3.2.x (the latest one is VB3.2.6 beta2) as MacOSX is supported starting from VB3.2.0.

And about the blank screen in "Select a Destination", I believe you haven't create the partition in your hdd.

Why not go to my page and get the "Virtualizing Mac OS X - Step-by-Step Guides"?

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtualization.php

Wing

VBox 3.2.6 seems to work fine.

Also, my Snow Leopard VM is now able to shut down and restart normally, no more CPU halted etc. messages. I believe it started behaving properly in 3.2.4 after I added the EfiBootArgs value=" " to the machine file to get the gray apple boot screen.

VBox 3.2.6 seems to work fine.

Also, my Snow Leopard VM is now able to shut down and restart normally, no more CPU halted etc. messages. I believe it started behaving properly in 3.2.4 after I added the EfiBootArgs value=" " to the machine file to get the gray apple boot screen.

Hi the_WB,

can you elaborate more on what you have done? EfiBootArgs value=" " is added as an extradataitem?

shutting down and restarting normally a SL VM is working in VB3.2.x already ... and I do not notice a difference/fix in VB3.2.6 for this.

Yes, ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "

I could be wrong about what caused shutdown and restart to begin working as it should. To clarify, it began working before updating to 3.2.6. It could have been when I updated to 3.2.4. Or it could have been when I removed fakesmc.kext and added the SmcDeviceKey string to the machine file. I do know that previously it wouldn't fully shutdown and I would have to close the VM window myself, so it was a pleasant surprise when it started behaving properly.

...Or it could have been when I removed fakesmc.kext and added the SmcDeviceKey string to the machine file. I do know that previously it wouldn't fully shutdown and I would have to close the VM window myself, so it was a pleasant surprise when it started behaving properly.

That's the reason. It was reported here earlier by me and later on was confirmed to be the cause by several other forum participants. Thanks for also confirming it.

<br />Yes, ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "<br /><br />I could be wrong about what caused shutdown and restart to begin working as it should. To clarify, it began working before updating to 3.2.6. It could have been when I updated to 3.2.4. Or it could have been when I removed fakesmc.kext and added the SmcDeviceKey string to the machine file. I do know that previously it wouldn't fully shutdown and I would have to close the VM window myself, so it was a pleasant surprise when it started behaving properly.<br />

The shutdown/reboot problem is resolved by removing fakesmc.kext and adding the SmcDeviceKey strong.

This has been documented in my online guide:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...re_fakesmc.html

I have tried addding the <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/> to the machine's XML file... I can see the grey screen with apple logo... but still there are text messages shown while loading the kernel... is this what you have? Is there a way to prevent these messages from displaying?

I thought I should have seen something like this before... and cannot find it...

voice out if you know the answer.... I will document this afterwards so that other people can get a ref of it easily.

Thx!

post-582594-1277788291_thumb.jpg

It would be perfect if we can hide those messages....I will try to look that up...

Try to report this problem on the VBox forums: it seems to me that this text messages are printed because that's the way how the current VirtualBOX EFI implementation differs from original Apple's EFI. So it should be primarily fixed by VBox devs.

I also couldn't reach the prasys.co.cc site over the weekend. But it seems to be working now.

On another topic, is anyone else noticing the virtual machine's clock is drifting? Mine is too slow, it loses time at the rate of about 3 minutes per hour. If I go into time/date preferences it immediately syncs to the internet. I think the ultimate fix for this may have to be Guest Additions for OS X, but in the meantime, is there a way to make OS X sync its clock more often?

Hello everyone,

After months of trying to get Snow Leopard running natively on my eVGA P55 (socket 1156) setup with little success, I was pleasantly surprised to get 10.6.4 up and running under VirtualBox 3.2.6 without too much hassle. I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing as it scratches an itch I've had since ditching my Mac mini (August 2007, 1.83 GHz C2D, 2 GB DDR2) last year. I've actually got it running in two different configurations, which I'll describe below:

Host

Windows 7 x64

VirtualBox 3.2.6

eVGA P55 Micro SLI (652)

i7-860 (Lynnfield 2.8 GHz)

8 GB DDR3-1333 7-7-7-20

eVGA GTS 250 (basically a 9800 GTX+ on a new PCB)

OS Type: Mac OS X Server (64-bit)

Base Memory: 2048 MB

Enable IO APIC: Yes

Enable EFI: (see below)

Processor(s): 1

Enable PAE/NX: Yes

Enable VT-x/AMD-V: Yes

Enable Nested Paging: Yes

Video Memory: 64 MB

Enable 3D Acceleration: Yes

Storage: (see below)

Audio: (see below)

Network: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Bridged)

Configuration #1

EFI enabled

IDE storage (ICH6)

Use host I/O cache: Yes

32-bit kernel and extensions

AC'97 is detected and the extension loads, but no sound present (still working on this)

Geekbench (32-bit): ~3000

Configuration #2

EFI disabled

Chameleon RC4 bootloader

SATA storage (ICH8)

Use host I/O cache: No

64-bit kernel and extensions

About This Mac crashes Finder (I think I can fix this with a new smbios.plist), but System Profiler works

64-bit kernel extension for AC'97 not currently available

Geekbench (32-bit): ~3500

Notes

I didn't use EmpireEFI as the prasys.co.cc site wasn't available over the July 4th weekend. Didn't need it...

Completely removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext out of /S/L/E rather than use a disabler

No extra extensions needed under either configuration (still trying different AC'97 extensions for 32-bit mode)

Using the SmcDeviceKey ExtraDataItem in lieu of DSMOS.kext or FakeSMC.kext

Both configurations Geekbench higher than my old Mac mini :-)

Boots quickly, shuts down cleanly, seems a bit CPU hungry but I assume that's due to the non-accelerated graphics

Definitely looking forward to 64-bit kernel and extensions and SATA support in VirtualBox EFI and Guest Additions for OS X!

conf1.rtf

conf2.rtf