Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

Micahel,

for the sound issue, have you tried the driver released by omegaX?

details can be found here:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq/sound_in_SL.html

That's the one I've been working with. Like I said, it's detected and I can even access the it in the Sound pref pane, but I can't hear anything.

PS - Thank you for your guide; it was a big help in getting started, although I had to do it without EmpireEFI.

PPS - I changed my display name from my real name because I prefer to use my handle on the boards!

What is the best, latest and easiest OSx86 (iso) to install on a AMD Phenom II CPU computer with minimal number of errors? I tried to install iDeneb-10.5.7 as Guest OS within VirtualBox, however I get some errors from Voodoo kernel during installation. The system board is a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H

and the Core Speed is ( 801.7 MHz ), the Multiplier is ( x 4.0 ), the Bus Speed is ( 200.4 MHz ), the HT Link is ( 1803.8 MHz ). I am going to try the iDenebv1.6_1058_Lite_Edition to see if it does better.

post-630436-1278455478_thumb.png

What is the best, latest and easiest OSx86 (iso) to install on a AMD Phenom II CPU computer with minimal number of errors? I tried to install iDeneb-10.5.7 as Guest OS within VirtualBox, however I get some errors from Voodoo kernel during installation. The system board is a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H

and the Core Speed is ( 801.7 MHz ), the Multiplier is ( x 4.0 ), the Bus Speed is ( 200.4 MHz ), the HT Link is ( 1803.8 MHz ). I am going to try the iDenebv1.6_1058_Lite_Edition to see if it does better.

no matter which iso you use, you may still encounter problem .... especially you are using AMD CPU.

For AMD CPU machine, besides the step-by-step installation guide that I have provided, there are 2 articles in the FAQ session on my page that you will find useful:

- the legacy kernel

- fixing the rtclock_init kernet panic

It would be perfect if we can hide those messages....I will try to look that up...

I had spent some time today reading about the details of the (U)EFI boot process in general and about the (U)EFI standard violations that were introduced by Apple in their implementation. Looks like these text messages show up due to the way the EFI is implemented in VirtualBOX.

One of the first things done by Apple's EFI implementation is the system console switch to the graphical mode. On the original Apple hardware EFI acts in a such way that any text messages printed to the console are hidden when the graphical mode is active. Thus the text buzz by the bootloader is hidden and the only visible thing on the screen is the "nibbled apple" logo.

VirtualBOX EFI acts more like the old-good EGA/VGA video bios displaying all text messages on the console no matter had it been switched to the graphical mode or not. I can't tell for sure if this behavior is a violation of the (U)EFI standard but it seems to me that it might be perfectly valid.

So there are two possible ways of getting rid of this text messages on boot: persuade VirtualBOX developers to more closely mimic the behavior of the Apple's EFI implementation or find a way to make Apple's boot.efi bootloader really silent.

TakWing, Thank you for your quick response. I looked at your info about the Legacy Kernel and also fixing the rtclock_init_ratio. I downloaded the Legacy Kernel, and it is a ( .pkg ) file. I don't know how to update to the Legacy Kernel per your instructions, because the Legacy Kernel is ( .pkg ) file, whereas in VirtualBox User Interface, it is looking for an ( .iso ) file to refer to, when after the EmpireEFI is loaded in. Also, I don't know how to update the iDenenb10.5.7( iso ) file of the com.apple.Boot.plist file, so that it is picked up when the iDenenb10.5.7( iso ) extracted set of files to the DVD in Drive(D).

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

I booted up either a OSx VM or BSD VM with EmpireEFI( Rel2 ), and then in VirtualBox screen, I selected the Devices to switch to Drive(D) to refer to the DVD for the iDenenb10.5.7 bootable DVD.

The sequence of events are shown in the three screens shown below.

The last screen shows different errors, instead of the clock errors.

Why???

It seems, I am only a step or two from a successful OSx86 installation.

If only I can bring up the OSx VM successfully with a good mach_kernel in it,

then subsequently install the iDeneb ( OSx86 ) from the bootable DVD.

I also came across information from Taranfx - How to Install Snow Leopard on VirtualBox,

but it seems to be only for Intel CPU based computers, not for AMD CPU computers.

http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox

post-630436-1278581864_thumb.png

post-630436-1278581881_thumb.png

post-630436-1278581900_thumb.png

TakWing, Thank you for your quick response. I looked at your info about the Legacy Kernel and also fixing the rtclock_init_ratio. I downloaded the Legacy Kernel, and it is a ( .pkg ) file. I don't know how to update to the Legacy Kernel per your instructions, because the Legacy Kernel is ( .pkg ) file, whereas in VirtualBox User Interface, it is looking for an ( .iso ) file to refer to, when after the EmpireEFI is loaded in. Also, I don't know how to update the iDenenb10.5.7( iso ) file of the com.apple.Boot.plist file, so that it is picked up when the iDenenb10.5.7( iso ) extracted set of files to the DVD in Drive(D).

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

I booted up either a OSx VM or BSD VM with EmpireEFI( Rel2 ), and then in VirtualBox screen, I selected the Devices to switch to Drive(D) to refer to the DVD for the iDenenb10.5.7 bootable DVD.

The sequence of events are shown in the three screens shown below.

The last screen shows different errors, instead of the clock errors.

Why???

It seems, I am only a step or two from a successful OSx86 installation.

If only I can bring up the OSx VM successfully with a good mach_kernel in it,

then subsequently install the iDeneb ( OSx86 ) from the bootable DVD.

I also came across information from Taranfx - How to Install Snow Leopard on VirtualBox,

but it seems to be only for Intel CPU based computers, not for AMD CPU computers.

http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox

I haven't tried iDeneb before....and may be I should say that does not work on my machine at the time when I first play around installing Mac OS X on VB.

but what I want to share is that for pkg file is the mac osx package file.... simply double-click it will kick off the installation.

what you can do is:

- download directly it directly from your mac VM.

- or transfer it via network share

- or burn that file onto a DVD, then access the DVD-drive from your VM.

However, the above still require you to boot up your VM...

I am not sure if you can boot up your VM with the Empire DVD / other boot loader or not....

any reason why you want to setup Leopard? You can try installating by using the retail DVD.

Besides, I will presume you have read through my step-by-step guide, so that we can have a common ground to discuss about the installation.

Installation of SL on VB should be similar for Intel and AMD machine... thoguh we need to apply the AMD specific 'patch' as I described. (Of course, there may be more that is not listed... I am not using AMD CPU... and that is the experience that I got from other AMD CPU user)

TakWing, You won't believe what I came across and made a bit more progress. That is, I came across the KakeWalk software( http://puru.se/blog/ ), and in it there is a KakeWalkLegacy.iso file. I made a bootable DVD from this and booted up the OSx VM. The iDeneb10.5.7 bootable DVD is inserted, then I press the F5 key and it locates it. Long and behold, the Apple Logo appears and it loads all of the files for the installation. However, after it is completed and when I reboot the OSx VM, the OSx VM doesn't load up the OSx all the way. It stops at what is shown in the screen below. I even tried to boot up in safe mode, same thing happens in the screen below.

post-630436-1278598266_thumb.png

chuckbmx,

well, as long as there is a way to get your Mac OSX VM works, then who cares how you install it....

anyway, just note that for non-standard way of installation, in case problems happen then probably you need experts to help you to do trouble shooting.

good luck!

TakWing,

Earlier you suggested I get a retail DVD of Leopard or Snow Leopard.

What would be the reason in doing this? Install differently?

I have a retail DVD of OSX Tiger, but it gives a mach-o magic number error.

What is this mach-o magic number error?

TakWing, Thank you for your quick response. I looked at your info about the Legacy Kernel and also fixing the rtclock_init_ratio. I downloaded the Legacy Kernel, and it is a ( .pkg ) file. I don't know how to update to the Legacy Kernel per your instructions, because the Legacy Kernel is ( .pkg ) file, whereas in VirtualBox User Interface, it is looking for an ( .iso ) file to refer to, when after the EmpireEFI is loaded in.

Let me give you a hint: you're trying to install the non-vanilla Mac OS X distribution, i.e. an on that looks like the original Mac OS and uses a lot of the same components from the original but it had been modified a lot to allow the installation on non-Apple hardware. Key part of this modifications is the replacement of the system kernel. Thus almost any so-called "OSx86" distro out there uses non-apple kernel and it might be somewhat hard to replace that modified kernel with another one. In our case this "another one" is the "legacy_kernel" - it is also a modified version of the original Apples's xnu kernel.

To the bottom line: as the VirtualBOX tries to provide guest Mac OS with the emulated hardware that looks just like the original Apple's one (with the exception of the CPUID of the CPU) there's no need in use of the hugely modified kernels shipped with OSx86 distros. It is better (and easier) to use original retail/upgrade Mac OS X DVDs + a minimal set of supplemental tools lile EmpireEFI (or KakeWalk you mentioned that is merely a clone of the EmpireEFI).

As for your current situation: as you were able to boot the installation with use of the KakeWalk - you should also be able to boot into the installed system using it. Just try to boot into KakeWalk (and do not press F5!) and it should show you two choices: your freshly installed iDeneb and the KekaWalk boot DVD itself. With luck you should be able to boot into installed iDeneb and replace the kernel with the another one from the legacy_kernel.pkg. Trouble is that the kernels from the latest legacy_kernel.pkg are for the 10.6.x releases of the Mac OS X and might not function correctly with the 10.5.x releases older versions of iDeneb were based on. So if you want to use old iDeneb you will be forced to go questing in search for the version of the so-called "voodoo" kernel that would work for you. If I were you I would prefer to switch to the retail Mac OS X 10.6.x DVD and not to waste a lot of time spent on searching and trying.

LeXa2, That was a very good explaination. If I were to get the Leopard or Snow Leopard retail DVD,

and with Kakewalk bootable DVD, would I be able to install the retail Leopard DVD even though the computer is a AMD Phenom II CPU? For whatever reason, it seems Kakewalk made better progress in the install of iDeneb than EmpireEFI did. I didn't have clock errors or a kernel panic, however as you know, the OSx VM hung up part way thru the booting up of VM. I checked at place about getting a retail Snow Leopard DVD( $29.00 )---it requires having the previous Leonard retail DVD, because the Snow Leopard DVD is an upgrade to the Leopard DVD. Anyway, here is an image of the main screen for Kakewalk and also the image of EmpireEFI bootloaders.

post-630436-1278625790_thumb.png

post-630436-1278625951_thumb.png

LeXa2, That was a very good explaination. If I were to get the Leopard or Snow Leopard retail DVD,

and with Kakewalk bootable DVD, would I be able to install the retail Leopard DVD even though the computer is a AMD Phenom II CPU? For whatever reason, it seems Kakewalk made better progress in the install of iDeneb than EmpireEFI did. I didn't have clock errors or a kernel panic, however as you know, the OSx VM hung up part way thru the booting up of VM. I checked at place about getting a retail Snow Leopard DVD( $29.00 )---it requires having the previous Leonard retail DVD, because the Snow Leopard DVD is an upgrade to the Leopard DVD. Anyway, here is an image of the main screen for Kakewalk and also the image of EmpireEFI bootloaders.

chuckbmx,

There are people successfully setup a SL VM by using AMD CPU, while they need to apply the legacy kernel and handle the bus ratio issue (which are described in 2 articles that I posted earlier).

Try using the retail setup disc instead of the upgrade disc....I am not sure how you will be pormpt / check you got a leopard disc.

if you want to try Leopard, you can try iATKOS... that works for me (and it has the voodoo kernel)

I believe iATKOS is only for Intel based CPUs.

If having a retail Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD, the computer still has to have a Intel based CPU.

I don't think I would be able to install a retail based OSx on a AMD Phenom II based CPU computer.

Does anybody know why Kakewalk was a bit more successful than EmpireEFI in the installation of OSx86 without having to do any patches of files and so forth?

and with Kakewalk bootable DVD, would I be able to install the retail Leopard DVD even though the computer is a AMD Phenom II CPU?

You should be able to do it. It you would find some time and read this forum thread back for about 15-20 pages you'll find my reports and findings about installing Mac OS X inside VirtualBOX VM on a AMD Phenom II X4 based host. This findings were lately integrated into the takwing guide, so if you'd follow it very carefully you'd end up with the Max OS X 10.6.x up and runing.

For whatever reason, it seems Kakewalk made better progress in the install of iDeneb than EmpireEFI did.

It had been mentioned several times in this thread, either by me and other reporters, that there are a lot of different versions of EmpireEFI, so you'll have to try one-by-one (no matter the type of CPU versions are labeled for) until you find one that works for you. Nevertheless, both KakeWalk and EmpireEFI are based on just the same software pieces: Chameleon bootloader + modified xnu kernel + a pack of kext drivers for non-Apple hardware matching the version of the modified xnu kernel. So it shouldn't matter at all if you use KakeWalk instead EmpireEFI - in general they are just the same.

I checked at place about getting a retail Snow Leopard DVD( $29.00 )---it requires having the previous Leonard retail DVD, because the Snow Leopard DVD is an upgrade to the Leopard DVD.

Upgrade DVD differs from the Retail DVD only in one way: it doesn't contains Bootcamp. System installers are just the same and absolutely no checks for the existence of the previous versions of Mac OS X are performed during the installation from the upgrade DVD. It might be reasonable for you to download the retail DVD image somewhere (most probably using bittorent) to do the experiments. It is pointless to waste money on a software not knowing if it will work or not. Don't forget to buy a DVD later in case your experiments will end up with successful installation - IMHO Apple deserves to earn the money Mac OS X costs - it is a brilliant OS.

what does the mach-0 bad magic number error message mean?

Usually this error appears when the bootloader loads up the kernel to memory, checks up its integrity and founds the kernel to be corrupt. If your install DVD is a self-burned - try to burn it once again using DVD-R/+R from another vendor and try to use the lowest burning speed available. Also don't forget to enable "Direct Access" for your DVD in the VBox VM settings.

The OSx Tiger DVD is actually a Retail DVD. Tonight, I went to a local Apple store and purchased the Snow Leopard DVD for $29.00. Its contents( folders and files ) is quite different than the OSx Tiger and OSx Leopard. It has BootCamp setup and also a regular setup.exe file, and it looks like this DVD will do a remote installation of OSx Snow Leopard, unlike OSx Tiger and OSx Leopard. I would like to do an installation directly from the DVD that doesn't require to remotely install the files and vanilla kernel.

How do I boot either the Retail OSx Snow Leopard DVD or the OSx86 Snow Leopard DVD in VirtualBox?

I get the errors message as shown in the following image for above both DVDs.

How does the OSx files and OSx mach_kernel get updated as I don't see it on either DVDs?

post-630436-1278779356_thumb.png

How do I boot either the Retail OSx Snow Leopard DVD or the OSx86 Snow Leopard DVD in VirtualBox?

I get the errors message as shown in the following image for above both DVDs.

How does the OSx files and OSx mach_kernel get updated as I don't see it on either DVDs?

The screenshot you have posted makes me suspect that there are a big problems with reading DVD disk on your system. Keeping in mind this, would you please make the screenshots of all the VirtualBOX VM settings windows so takwing or me would be able to check if something is wrong with them.

Upd. As for "not seen on the DVD" - there's no chance to see the real contents of the Mac OS X DVD under Windows as this DVDs are in the special format. It contains a partition with ISO9660 filesystem that is readable by Windows. This partition only contain bootcamp. There's another partition on this DVD formated in HFS+ that may only be read up from Mac OS X (and other OS that supports apple partition maps on the optical devices and have got HFS+ read support). From the questions you ask about how to update the kernel I can conclude that you had not read up takwing guide at all - all the required infos are in there. Don't be too lazy, find up some time and read at least the guide. The probability of success will raise dramatically if you would also read the last 15-20 pages of this thread instead of keep asking the questions that have been answered here dozen times before.

I could be wrong on this as I read somewhere, the reason for the EBIOS Read Error, was because maybe not having the latest version of EmpireEFI for AMD Phenom II computers. I tried both Kakewalk and EmpireEFI and I get the above mentioned EBIOS Read Errors. Anyway, here is the screen image of the OSx VM.

Looking at the PC EFI screens, the latest version I have:

(Kakewalk EFI Bootloader )

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chamleon v2.0-RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBLN

Build Date: 2010-01-20 23:23:44

When in the CD devices as I tried also to select a OSx86 (.iso) file

from the computer harddrive, Kakewalk will not go read it after when

pressing the F5 key --- Empire EFI bootloader will read the ( .iso ) file.

( Empire EFI Bootloader )

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chamelon v2.0-RC3 PCEFI-10.4 BoorCDMaker

Build date: 2009-10-15 15:22:04

What I probably need and cannot fing it, is the EmpireEFI Bootloader that

has Chamleon v2.0-RC4 as I think Chamleon v2.0-RC4 is the latest version.

With the Empire EFI Chamelon v2.0-RC3, when I reboot the OSx VM

to the Snow Leopard ( .iso ) by Hazard on the computer harddrive,

it shows the kernel panic as shown in the screen below.

If possible, please provide the web-link to the latest and the right bootloader

for AMD Phenom II CPU computers. As you saw earlier, Kakewalk did read the

DVD for iDeneb10.5.7 alright and install it alright, however after it rebooted, it

hung up part way thru booting up the OSx VM.

post-630436-1278796932_thumb.png

post-630436-1278798284_thumb.png

I could be wrong on this as I read somewhere, the reason for the EBIOS Read Error, was because maybe not having the latest version of EmpireEFI for AMD Phenom II computers.

I also have got an AMD Phenom II X4 based workstation and I've been able to successfully boot into Mac OS X installation with the version of EmpireEFI named "Experimental for AMD Phenom ...." at the bottom of this page: http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1...-out/#more-2411 (this is EmpireEFI home). The errors you've got clearly state that there's a problem reading up disk sectors and thus it is not related to the "original kernel vs. AMD CPU" fight.

What I probably need and cannot fing it, is the EmpireEFI Bootloader that

has Chamleon v2.0-RC4 as I think Chamleon v2.0-RC4 is the latest version.

The version of the Chameleon bootloader doesn't matter much. The only thing Chameleon should do is not to hang while enumerating system devices available to boot and loading up kernel/kexts into the system memory. Errors you had posted on the last screenshot are coming from the kernel so it seems that Chameleon have done it's job right.

With the Empire EFI Chamelon v2.0-RC3, when I reboot the OSx VM

to the Snow Leopard ( .iso ) by Hazard on the computer harddrive,

it shows the kernel panic as shown in the screen below.

This panic is a famous one: it is caused by the bug in the community written patch that should autodetect the system bus speed of the AMD CPU based system (division by zero in kernel space = kernel panic). New versions of this patch have been modified to include "manual control" over this autotedection system. You should try to specify additional kernel boot parameter "busratio=XX" (in case of my CPU correct value for XX were 13), either by typing it manually in the Chameleon boot prompt (accessed by pressing TAB key) and by specifying it in the VBOX EFI internal value "VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" (VBoxManage setextradata <VM name here> "VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" "-v busratio=13").

Also, switching to a another version of EmpireEFI might help (you would locate a lot of them at the link I had posted above).

As for screenshot of the VM settings - you had posted the "General Overview", but we need to see the exact details, just like they are shown on the screenshots in the takwing's guide.

Here are some ExtraDataItem I placed in the machine file(xml) OS X.xml

They all may not work, but I did specify busratio=14 as boot parm after

when pressing the F8 key in the bootloader screen.

=============================================================

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="on"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs/arch" value="i386"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs/busratio" value="14"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="2"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

Shown below are the detailed OS X VM VirtualBox screen settings:

I made an ( .iso ) file from the Retail Snow Leopard DVD( $29.00 ) I bought last night

with the ImgBurn software. I specified EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600.iso as the bootloader

and when the screen was displayed, I then went to VM Devices and selected the

Retail Snow Leopard( .iso ) on the computer harddrive and was able to initiate an

installation. The installation proceeded until about 10 minutes remaining, and then

an error message displayed indicating cannot restart VM with the specified VM disk.

All of the screens below shows the information for this installation.

The very last screen shows what happens when the OS X VM is

rebooted when I restart the OS X VM with VirtualBox UI.

post-630436-1278830394_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830408_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830422_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830435_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830449_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830464_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830480_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830501_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830518_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830530_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830549_thumb.png

post-630436-1278830561_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831133_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831186_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831207_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831229_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831253_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831280_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831312_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831365_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831423_thumb.png

post-630436-1278831456_thumb.png

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/Devices/0/1000e/Trusted" value="1"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

These are useless and are not needed.

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="on"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs/arch" value="i386"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs/busratio" value="14"/>

These are wrong. It should look like this:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value="-v arch=i386 busratio=14" />

Take a note that it might be required to remove this setting prior to the installation stage of the Mac OS X and insert it back only after the moment your system would be installed and you'd be able to boot into it with EmpireEFI.

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="2"/>

This one is OK, it selects what video mode to use when booting using VBox EFI.

Side note: all this settings are only applicable when VirtualBOX EFI is on.

There's another thing you'll need in the VM xml:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>

Shown below are the detailed OS X VM VirtualBox screen settings:

.....a lot of screenshots follow.....

Almost everything seems to be OK except for network card type and a tiny amount of the video memory you provide to the VM. You should set network card emulated type to be "Intel Pro/1000 T Server". As for VRAM - set it to be 64Mb or 128Mb.

Another important thing to note: it is absolutely MUST to enable "Passthrough" for the CD/DVD when mapping it to the real physical drive. Forgetting to do so will lead to the bootloader unable to correctly read up the kernel on boot.

Also, you hadn't provided the screenshot for the System/Motherboard tab.

I made an ( .iso ) file from the Retail Snow Leopard DVD( $29.00 ) I bought last night

with the ImgBurn software. I specified EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600.iso as the bootloader

and when the screen was displayed, I then went to VM Devices and selected the

Retail Snow Leopard( .iso ) on the computer harddrive and was able to initiate an

installation.

Am I right in my proposal that you had pressed F5 button on the keyboard after the disk image change and EmpireEFI had successfully detected the newly inserted Mac OS X Install DVD?

The installation proceeded until about 10 minutes remaining, and then

an error message displayed indicating cannot restart VM with the specified VM disk.

All of the screens below shows the information for this installation.

The very last screen shows what happens when the OS X VM is

rebooted when I restart the OS X VM with VirtualBox UI.

Your installation screenshots seems to be normal. Problems with the "Installation Failed" message displayed towards the end of the installation process are pretty common: Mac OS X bless tool that is used to set the boot order for the boot.efi Mac OS X bootloader is known to fail most of the times when run on the system without EFI support (booting using EmpireEFI means that you have VBOX EFI disabled => no EFI support). This "Installation Failed" message may be ignored. You should reboot the system after getting this message, boot into EmpireEFI once again, switch DVDs and boot into install DVD, proceed into the Disk Utility, select the volume you had installed Mac OS X on and issue "Check disk" command followed by "Repair disk" command. There still would be problems with bless tool but they may be ignored.

After this reboot your system once more, again into EmpireEFI. Do not switch DVDs and do not press F5. It should display two systems available to boot: EmpireEFI disk itself and the newly installed Mac OS X. Select later one using arrow keys on your keyboard and press ENTER. With luck you should boot into the installed Mac OS X and finish the post-installation wizards.

Next steps would be downloading and installing legacy_kernel package (latest one is for Mac OS X 10.6.4, I had posted a link to it some time ago in this thread), changing the bootloader settings to use legacy_kernel instead of mach_kernel and to include "arch=i386 busratio=14" in the kernel boot parameters (com.Apple.boot.plist file), installing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (or removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext), removing kext cache, shutting down the VM, enabling EFI in the VM settings and successfully booting it back up "loaded-n-ready".

Shown below is the image screen for the System/Motherboard information from OS X VM.

<ExtraDataItem  name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs"  value="-v arch=i386 busratio=14"

I lefted the above statement in the OS X ( .xml ) file in the machines folder.

I upgraded the VRam to 64MB.

The only way the Passthru for the CD/DVD drive can be set, is by setting it in the

OS X ( .xml ) file in the machines folder as follows in the StorageController section.

<AttachedDevice passthrough="true" type="DVD" port="0" device="0">

Am I right in my proposal that you had pressed  F5 button on the keyboard after the disk image change and EmpireEFI had  successfully detected the newly inserted Mac OS X Install DVD?

EmpireEFI did not detect the DVD properly, as I was getting the EBIOS Read Errors.

I create an ( .iso ) of the Retail Snow Leopard DVD and EmpireEFI was able to boot from it.

The only way that EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600 was able to read the REtail Snow Leopard DVD,

was to modify the OS X ( .xml ) file in the machines folder as follows in the StorageController section.

<AttachedDevice passthrough="true" type="DVD" port="0"  device="0">

I rebooted the OS X VM with EmpireEFI and selected the OS X volume on the screen,

and finished the post installation with the Verify Disk and Repair Disk on the volume

from the Utlities Menu --- shown below are these post installation screens.

I am able to boot up Snow Leopard VM everytime without any modifications, by

having the EmpireEFI4AMD_SB600 ( .iso ) for CD/DVD, and then select the

Mac OS X volume on the EmpireEFI screen to boot up Snow Leopard.

I am not if I would want to update the mach_kernel with a legacy_kernel,

as I am afraid and I don't know how to download this directly into the

root( / ) folder-directory in the OS X VM volume. Plus, I don't know how

to simply update-modify the com.Apple.boot.plist file with what Editor

and also what folder-directory it is located in.

Last of all, I cannot refer to a specific program to run in VBoxAdditions3.2.6,

because there isn't a specific file/pgm/pkg to execute, so that the OS X VM

screen takes up the whole screen space---current image is shown below.

You will notice that there is some space surrounding the OS X VM screen

within VirtualBox's main screen.

post-630436-1278880608_thumb.png

post-630436-1278880798_thumb.png

post-630436-1278880839_thumb.png

post-630436-1278882083_thumb.png