Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

Fact is, 'special EFI' is not enabled on my VB and using CustomVideoMode1 was the only thing that allowed me to go full screen at 1440x900x32.

If by "special EFI" you mean VBOX EFI support then this is the reason why "changing EFI seemed useless" for you: there's no point in configuring EFI gop mode in case you had switched off EFI :-).

The only thing I cant get to work well is Finder doesnt like to Find networked computers. Connect to server works though.

It is known bug for Mac OS X guests, and it is somehow "phantom" in it's nature: sometimes it works, and sometime not. I wasn't able to find any direct relation between the guest/host environment/settings and Finder's ability to browse network.

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but can someone tell me how I can access the hard drive of the host computer that my virtual MAC is running on?

Until there is Guest Additions for Mac OS X, you can still share folders on the host with the guest via the network. It is pretty simple:

1) Share a folder from the actual host machine (from the OS itself, not through the vbox shared folders settings)

2) Use NAT for your guest's network settings

3) From Mac OS X, Open "Finder"

4) From the top menu, navigate to Go->Connect to Server

5) For "Server Address" enter smb://10.0.2.2

6) Click "Connect"

7) Enter your username and password (for the host machine)

8) Select the shared folder from the list

This is the method I am using in my Mac OS X guests until the new Guest Additions is implemented.

Hi, i'm new here and i want to install Mac OS leopard on my virtual box, but i don't understand steps 4,5,6 and 7. Can someone explain those steps better? I mean what how i "attach" dmg to the iso, and what iso?

hi,

i followed the step by step guie for virtual box 3.2.0 to virtualize a retail snow leopard img. The version is 10.4 and i converted it to iso using alcohol 52%.

when i try to load it in virtualbox it says failed to find bootable medium, so i tried to load it using empireEFI1085 but when i press f5 instead of getting to the installation screen a completely black screen appears. has anyone ever experienced this problem? anyone knows what it could be or how to fix it?

im using virtualbox 3.2.8 under windows 7 on a dell laptop that runs on core i5. all settings on vbox are (should be) correct as i checked with every guide (VT-x on and all that stuff)

Hi,

can everyone recommend an efi-loader to install in my virtualbox harddisk? I have an Amd Phenom II 955 and i don't want to use virtualbox's efi, because then i have to install the legacy-kernel in order to get no kernel panic.

Now i boot with the empire efi cd-iso and that's not very comfortable.

Thanks in advance

Humphrey

Hi,

can everyone recommend an efi-loader to install in my virtualbox harddisk? I have an Amd Phenom II 955 and i don't want to use virtualbox's efi, because then i have to install the legacy-kernel in order to get no kernel panic.

Now i boot with the empire efi cd-iso and that's not very comfortable.

Thanks in advance

Humphrey

empireEFI should the way to go. And as you are using AMD CPU, you may need to apply the patch sepcific to AMD as discussed in my site

empireEFI should the way to go. And as you are using AMD CPU, you may need to apply the patch sepcific to AMD as discussed in my site

Hi takwing,

thanks, you're right. I followed your guide and everything is ok (virtualbox efi activated, boot with no kernel panic), but unfortunately the network and sound don't work at all.

So i tried another way with no legacy kernel (everything original "intel")). The virtualbox boots with the amd-empire-efi as cdrom-iso, but there is no way to install it on the virtual harddisk?

Humphrey

thanks, you're right. I followed your guide and everything is ok (virtualbox efi activated, boot with no kernel panic), but unfortunately the network and sound don't work at all.

So i tried another way with no legacy kernel (everything original "intel")). The virtualbox boots with the amd-empire-efi as cdrom-iso, but there is no way to install it on the virtual harddisk?

For sound, it won't work unless you install the sound kext released by OmegaX (or in fact you mean it does not work even w/ that installed?).

For network, have you setup the network card as in my guide and try disconnect/connecting it? (This should have described in the guide.)

And for you question on trying to install with no legacy kernel, I cannot get what you tried to asked. You said VB boots, but what is "there is no way to install it on the vhd?" ??

Thank you Takwing for this excellent guide.

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/index.html

Got SL up and running in vbox on an ASUS k50ad notebook, with surprisingly few headaches.

Used EmpireEFI4AMD and Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.

ASUS K50AD

AMD Turion II

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

4 GB

Ubuntu Lucid/Win7

For sound, it won't work unless you install the sound kext released by OmegaX (or in fact you mean it does not work even w/ that installed?).

For network, have you setup the network card as in my guide and try disconnect/connecting it? (This should have described in the guide.)

And for you question on trying to install with no legacy kernel, I cannot get what you tried to asked. You said VB boots, but what is "there is no way to install it on the vhd?" ??

Hi takwing,

the problem is, i have to boot everytime with the empire-efi-iso. This is not very comfortable. When i use the virtualbox-efi, i have to install the amd-legcy-kernel (with no sound and network). Is there any other efi/boot-loader to install on the virtual osx-harddisk?

Humphrey

First off,thanks Takwing for the guide.I used your Leopard guide to install iatkos s3 v2.It was easy to follow and everything worked out well.(other than the known issues this thread addresses,sound,display resolution,etc.)

I then used Software Upadte to update to 10.6.4 with no issues!I am also using Paulscode tip(post#804 above)to access my host and my network server.One addition i did make was to drag the Shares to Login Items so they auto load at startup.

Lastly I ran Xbench which gave me a score of 121.3.Checking the Xbench site score I found real Macbook Pro"s average score was 123 so a 120+ score with no QE is quite acceptable.With Snow Leopard running Windows 7 has cpu usage around 15 to 20% and temperature is in the mid 40's also acceptable.

thanks again

post-508916-1283091945_thumb.png

It's hard to get a good screenshot of everything running!

First off,thanks Takwing for the guide.I used your Leopard guide to install iatkos s3 v2.It was easy to follow and everything worked out well.(other than the known issues this thread addresses,sound,display resolution,etc.)

I then used Software Upadte to update to 10.6.4 with no issues!I am also using Paulscode tip(post#804 above)to access my host and my network server.One addition i did make was to drag the Shares to Login Items so they auto load at startup.

Lastly I ran Xbench which gave me a score of 121.3.Checking the Xbench site score I found real Macbook Pro"s average score was 123 so a 120+ score with no QE is quite acceptable.With Snow Leopard running Windows 7 has cpu usage around 15 to 20% and temperature is in the mid 40's also acceptable.

thanks again

post-508916-1283091945_thumb.png

It's hard to get a good screenshot of everything running!

good to hear that the guide works for you....

BTW, there are also articles in my site for the display, sound and accessing host files issues....

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq/sound_in_SL.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...red_folder.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/page6.html

good to hear that the guide works for you....

BTW, there are also articles in my site for the display, sound and accessing host files issues....

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq/sound_in_SL.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...red_folder.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/page6.html

Thanks ,I'm fine tuning things right now.BTW great site very informative and everything is well explained

@gsw953

just in case you got any new finding / tuning tips, kindly share with us!

Thx.

After playing around for a couple of hours this is what i came up with.(these may have been covered i haven't read all 40 pages yet)

Turned off Spotlight,this helps keep cpu usage down

Turned off Hibernation,this removes the "sleep image to old warning" when chameleon starts

Because there is no QE i installed JustLooking for opening pictures and Mplayer for watching videos.As a side note(though pointless as you can just watch DVDs in windows)To watch Retail DVDs with Mplayer I had to have AnyDVD(to remove encryption) running on Windows first.

Edit: changing from 1 to 2 cores made a definite improvement

Until there is Guest Additions for Mac OS X, you can still share folders on the host with the guest via the network. It is pretty simple:

1) Share a folder from the actual host machine (from the OS itself, not through the vbox shared folders settings)

2) Use NAT for your guest's network settings

3) From Mac OS X, Open "Finder"

4) From the top menu, navigate to Go->Connect to Server

5) For "Server Address" enter smb://10.0.2.2

6) Click "Connect"

7) Enter your username and password (for the host machine)

8) Select the shared folder from the list

This is the method I am using in my Mac OS X guests until the new Guest Additions is implemented.

I have tried this (NAT) and other methods (bridged networking) and I am unable to get access to my host's shares at all. I am using iAtkos S3 v2 (10.6.3) updated to 10.6.4 via combo update and patched legacy kernel, VirtualBox 3.2.8 on Windows 7 x64 host (Intel Core i5 M450 cpu).

• smb file sharing is enabled in the sharing preferences on the Mac VM
  • The shares are configured correctly on the Windows host
  • I have tried setting the workgroup in the WINS section of the Mac VM's networking settings as well
  • In VirtualBox network settings for the VM, I have tried both the Intel PRO/1000T Server card as well as the desktop variant with no luck.
  • Internet works fine in the Mac VM.
  • I have tried it with this guide as well: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...red_folder.html

??? :plane: ???

then what happens when you try to connect to smb://10.0.2.2 ?

it time out??

and just to double confirm, the share that you have made can be connected by other machine? (I have noted that you said it is configured properly... but I just want to confirm whether the share is working or not).

Also, in such a case, I will try to disable the firewall / security software at my PC and see if it helps (I am not saying this is the cause of the problem... but I will just try it... as it is network related).

then what happens when you try to connect to smb://10.0.2.2 ?

it time out??

Yes, it just shows the progress bar indicating that it is connecting and sits there. See attached post-660633-1283190472_thumb.jpg

and just to double confirm, the share that you have made can be connected by other machine? (I have noted that you said it is configured properly... but I just want to confirm whether the share is working or not).

I can connect to the host share using another virtual machine running Windows XP by mapping it as a network drive. This confirms that the host share is available on the network via its ip address. It seems to be a problem in the Mac VM.

post-660633-1283190443_thumb.png

Also, in such a case, I will try to disable the firewall / security software at my PC and see if it helps (I am not saying this is the cause of the problem... but I will just try it... as it is network related).

I have tried this, though file sharing is automatically entered as an exception in the Firewall when you configure any directory or drive to be shared in Windows. I have confirmed this to be the case.

Edit: changing from 1 to 2 cores made a definite improvement

With each new release of VirtualBox I try 2 CPUs again, and it's still unstable for me. Within 5 minutes it crashes to the "You need to restart your Mac" screen. No problems with 1 CPU.

@crisj73,

up to now, I don't have any clue or idea on your problem.... everything seems fine

- your share in host machine is ok

- your network settings in mac vm is fine (as you can go to internet and had enable smb in your mac vm)

you may try disconnect and connect the virtual network card once via VB's menu option... this is what I did in case I cannot get the internet connection (the mac vm will create a new network for me after doing the "disconnect and connect" action)

I will let you know if I get any new idea / suggestions.....

Hi there, I've got OS X Snow Leopard working perfectly in VirtualBox but I have a couple questions in regards to a couple new virtual machines I wish to add...

1. I've got an AMD processor, but is there any way to install OS X Snow Leopard in a new VM without using any patches or the need for EmpireEFI (so it boots like it would on a normal Mac)?

2. Is it possible to install OS X in VirtualBox as a 64-bit version that runs 64-bit apps?