Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

Hey Guys.. could any give me a help on How to change display resolution.. The thing is i dont know what is VirtualBox Command and can anyone explain me with detailed steps... i am currently using now is Apple Snow Leopard.

methods have already been posted in the web site.

Hey Guys.. could any give me a help on How to change display resolution.. The thing is i dont know what is VirtualBox Command and can anyone explain me with detailed steps... i am currently using now is Apple Snow Leopard.

This had been posted in this thread several times, and AFAIK also was somewhere on the guide pages.

In case you use VBox EFI, refer to the official VirtualBOX manual describing the EFI Gop. The correct command is:

VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" "X"

where "X" must be replaced with a digit from 0 to 4.

In case you use Chameleon bootloader - refer to it's documentation about the modification of the com.apple.Boot.plist file to set a boot-time EFI display resolution. I had also posted about this earlier in this thread.

I assume it will not access the windows api's, but only apple api's. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest additions are merely drivers for the virtual hardware provided to the guest. In case of Mac OS X it most likely would be a bunch of kexts + control utility which would provide clipboard replication, time synchronization and "Shared folders" access. How to deal with the real hardware is totally in the VBox host process authority. Windows version of VBox use windows APIs/ABIs, linux version use linux APIs/ABIs, e.t.c.

Ok.. ok.. i tried your steps.. but Where am i gonna put that Command?? i mean Command Prompt or in what?? or in XML? please explain further more about this.. please provide a example Pictures that i could recognize how to do it.

I am not sure without knowing where to put the command, what do you mean by "I tried your steps".

please refer to my guide:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/index.html

There are instructions on how to change the screen resolution. Hope that helps.

Hi!

I'd like to virtualize MAC OS X on my Linux laptop using VirtualBox. I read any of this tutorial and guide and i found out that i need a CPU with VT-x support (i've an intel one), but mine hasn't! So is there a way to virtualize or using MAC OS X without that feature?

Thanks

I got question.. i installed the server snow leopard. and Now i want to do a upgrade on my previous installation 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. so please let me know which version of Snow leopard are you using on your guide takwing. and I would like to know whether do i have to download the retail or A Hacked one.

Because i'm using AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, thats why i am confused whether this will work or not.

I got question.. i installed the server snow leopard. and Now i want to do a upgrade on my previous installation 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. so please let me know which version of Snow leopard are you using on your guide takwing. and I would like to know whether do i have to download the retail or A Hacked one.

Because i'm using AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, thats why i am confused whether this will work or not.

What version of SL I am using? Details have been posted in my guide already, refer to:

A retail one should be working fine.....

While you are using AMD CPU, please refer to that notes that I have made in my guide for people using AMD CPU. You may need to refer to two more articles:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

Hi!

I'd like to virtualize MAC OS X on my Linux laptop using VirtualBox. I read any of this tutorial and guide and i found out that i need a CPU with VT-x support (i've an intel one), but mine hasn't! So is there a way to virtualize or using MAC OS X without that feature?

Thanks

I don't think so....

What version of SL I am using? Details have been posted in my guide already, refer to:

A retail one should be working fine.....

While you are using AMD CPU, please refer to that notes that I have made in my guide for people using AMD CPU. You may need to refer to two more articles:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

I don't think so....

Hi takwing,

thanks for your guidance: Snow Leo 10.6.3 runs smoothly in virtualbox 3.2.4 on a AMD Phenom II 955.

I have only a networking problem: the connection to the internet is ok, but i can't connect to the share of my Window 7 x64 host. I activate smb in the mac client (as shown in your guide), but when  i'm connecting to the server 10.0.2.2 (or  alternatively to the real ip-address) nothing happens (it tries the connection endlessly).

But it's interesting, i can ping to the ip and i  get an answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

humphrey

I have only a networking problem: the connection to the internet is ok, but i can't connect to the share of my Window 7 x64 host. I activate smb in the mac client (as shown in your guide), but when i'm connecting to the server 10.0.2.2 (or alternatively to the real ip-address) nothing happens (it tries the connection endlessly).

But it's interesting, i can ping to the ip and i get an answer.

I would suggest checking your share in the host.... did you make the share? can other PC in the connect to this share?

Have you made any customization on your network settings? If you are using Windows' network wizard, are you setting your network as home/office instead of public network?

that sounds more reasonable....

if you have followed by guide, then at your point 2, your should install the Voodoo kernel. Have you done that?

Hi there!

I realized that I did not understand from your guide that I had to go again through the installation screens...I thought that the Install Summary would be shown right after the reboot (more or less as it happens with Windows...)

Anyway: I have clicked "Customize", I have checked only "9.5.0 kernel voodoo" and "Post-install actions", got the "Install Failed" screen, restarted (removing the iAtkos image) and finally...The system still cannot start!  :lol:

Actually I have gone a little step forward: now when I get the light grey background, the spinning segmented wheel appears under the "dented" Apple logo (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/3b/Apple_logo.png), but that is all...it stays there forever and the hard disk icon shows no activity at all...

The "Verbose mode" boot is of no avail either: screens upon screens of "Loading driver" lines scroll away...and finally I get this screen and nothing else moves: http://yfrog.com/jnverbosej

What else should I try?

Thanx

BG

I realized that I did not understand from your guide that I had to go again through the installation screens...I thought that the Install Summary would be shown right after the reboot (more or less as it happens with Windows...)

Anyway: I have clicked "Customize", I have checked only "9.5.0 kernel voodoo" and "Post-install actions", got the "Install Failed" screen, restarted (removing the iAtkos image) and finally...The system still cannot start! :(

Actually I have gone a little step forward: now when I get the light grey background, the spinning segmented wheel appears under the "dented" Apple logo (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/3b/Apple_logo.png), but that is all...it stays there forever and the hard disk icon shows no activity at all...

The "Verbose mode" boot is of no avail either: screens upon screens of "Loading driver" lines scroll away...and finally I get this screen and nothing else moves: http://yfrog.com/jnverbosej

I believe you haven't read my FAQ and troubleshooting articles....

From you screen dump, it seems to me that you are using AMD CPU.....

- http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

- http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

While you have installed already the Voodoo kernel, my suggestions are:

- first make sure you are following the guide EXACTLY.... there are cases where people's problem would be resolved simply by following the guide to do the installation again.

- read the articles in the FAQ and troubleshooting section

- next time, when you problem, please list down all hardware and software config

- try to set CPU count as 1 first

- try to set the bus ratio

- try to install the legacy kernel... However, my article listed above has a link pointed you to the 10.6.3 legacy kernel. As you are installing Leopard, you need to get the older version of the legacy kernel... but still you should be able to get the link for the old kernel by reading the post in nawcom's post.

I would suggest checking your share in the host.... did you make the share? can other PC in the connect to this share?

Have you made any customization on your network settings? If you are using Windows' network wizard, are you setting your network as home/office instead of public network?

Hi takwing,

it's a standard Win7 share, the computer is in the home-networdking-zone (sorry,  it's a german windows version - so i haven't the correct translation). I also disabled the win-firewall for testing.

I have also a mac leopard version 10.5.5 as virtualbox guest, and there it works perfectly. Does anything changes to snow leopard?

lg Humphrey

There were some reports of successful virtualization of Mac OS X on the CPUs without hardware virtualization support for VMware. Each and every report I had seen were mentioning downloading already installed VMware Mac OS X image and changing the settings of the VM. I doubt the stability of the Mac OS X when running inside VM without hardware virtualization support as it is known that the Mac OS X operating system uses rare IA-32 machine instructions that are not supported by the currents versions of the VMware and VirtualBOX on the CPUs without hardware vriatualization support. So you should expect the instability and a lot of hangs even in case you'd be so lucky to had the VM successfully startup.

it's a standard Win7 share, the computer is in the home-networdking-zone (sorry, it's a german windows version - so i haven't the correct translation). I also disabled the win-firewall for testing.

I can confirm that there are some strange troubles with the Samba on the Mac OS X 10.6.3 installations under the VirtualBOX 3.2.x. The symptoms just like the ones you had described (endless "trying to connect..." window) are being spotted for the server machines running Windows XP, Windows 2000 and linux version of Samba 3.2.15. I hadn't had a chance to find some time to debug the problem with the Wireshark. Hope that I'll find some time to debug it this week.

This is what I have: Windows7OS(Host OS), VirtualBox(Version 3.2.4 r62467), OS X Tiger CD --- I made an ISO Image from the OS X Tiger CD --- I have installed Virtual Box software on Windows7OS successfully. --- I have installed UbuntuOS and MandrivaOS as Guest OS successfully.

The problem I have, and why is it so difficult to install OS X Tiger as Guest OS?

--- I created a BSD VM, and added line( <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/> ) to the machines xml file after exiting Virtual Box software. --- I specified to enable EFI, to enable 3D Acceleration, IDE Controller is ICH6, Enable VT-x/AMD-V( this is also is set in the BIOS too ) --- Memory is set to 1024

My computer system board is a Gigabyte-GA with a AMD CPU

I keep getting something like the following:

Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

EFI Shell version 2.10 [1.0]

Current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table

fs0 :BlockDevice - Alias f11a blk0

PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Master,0x0)

blk0 :BlockDevice - Alias f11a fs0

PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Master,0x0)

blk1 :CDRom - Alias (null)

PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1,0x1)/Ata(Primary,Master,0x0)/CDROM(0x0,0x7007C0,0x40)

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.

Shell> _ I tried to load in the EmpireEFI.iso initially before loading the OSX.iso, which I am able to do, but I have to disable the EFI setting in the BSD VM. EFI screen is displayed, and indicates to press the F5 key to load in the OS X file. I did this, but nothing seems to happen subsequently.

Here is the EmpireEFI screen in BSD VM

I would think, I ought to be able to load in BSD VM with EFI enabled to install the OSX.iso, and not have the OSX.iso install errors screen as shown below.

The following two screens shows the Virtual Box main screen and Virtual Box About screen.

post-630436-1276545046_thumb.png

post-630436-1276545055_thumb.png

post-630436-1276545063_thumb.png

post-630436-1276545612_thumb.png

post-630436-1276545883_thumb.png

post-630436-1276546366_thumb.png

post-630436-1276546379_thumb.png

I believe you haven't read my FAQ and troubleshooting articles....

From you screen dump, it seems to me that you are using AMD CPU.....

- http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

- http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq..._bus_ratio.html

Hello again...I will answer step by step

While you have installed already the Voodoo kernel, my suggestions are:

- first make sure you are following the guide EXACTLY.... there are cases where people's problem would be resolved simply by following the guide to do the installation again.

I have followed EXACTLY your instructions...

- read the articles in the FAQ and troubleshooting section

Done. Found nothing that applies...

- next time, when you problem, please list down all hardware and software config

Er...as a matter of fact I did!

In my first post I declared:

Hi there!

I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.9 on the following configuration:

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
  • Mainboard: ECS Elitegroup GF8100VM-M5
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8100
  • Host OS: Windows XP

- try to set CPU count as 1 first

The CPU count has always been set to 1 right from the start...

- try to set the bus ratio

- try to install the legacy kernel... However, my article listed above has a link pointed you to the 10.6.3 legacy kernel. As you are installing Leopard, you need to get the older version of the legacy kernel... but still you should be able to get the link for the old kernel by reading the post in nawcom's post.

Oh, here comes a funny (in a matter of speaking) part: according to your guide, I should boot my OS using Empire EFI...well, I cannot!

When I use it, all I get is this screen: http://yfrog.com/mtefij

Is there another way to install the legacy kernel?

That's all for now!

Thank you again!

The problem I have, and why is it so difficult to install OS X Tiger as Guest OS?

i've installed an intel-Tiger .. umhh. 4 years Ago' on a olddd Pentium4 with VIA chipset.. recently only a PPC-Tiger on my oldddd macmini.. never tryed a Tiger on Vbox...

On Phenom2 Ideneb 1.6 lite (Leo) works very well (no EFi and no Efi-empire needed)

if Tiger is not absolutely necessary try this way , selecting a Voodoo Kernel (for AMD) and the chameleon 2 bootloader.

Oh, here comes a funny (in a matter of speaking) part: according to your guide, I should boot my OS using Empire EFI...well, I cannot!

If I understand your posts correctly you're trying to install an older version of Mac OS X (10.5 I suppose) by following an older version of the guide and using non-vanilla Mac OS X distro build. The trouble is that you're alone on this way as nobody can tell you for sure that "this will work" or "that wouldn't work at all". The best advice I can give you is to somehow get the Mac OS X 10.6.x retail install DVD, install the latest version of the VirtualBOX 3.2.x and follow the guide step by step. The probability of the successful installation will be much higher then.

As for Empire EFI - there are a lot of various flavours available to download, so your best bet would be to download all available editions and try them one-by-one in order until you find the one that works for you.

Hello again...I will answer step by step

I have followed EXACTLY your instructions...

Done. Found nothing that applies...

Er...as a matter of fact I did!

In my first post I declared:

The CPU count has always been set to 1 right from the start...

That's all for now!

Thank you again!

My suggestion:

- have you tried using difference version of the EmpireEFI (which is CPU specific) to boot up your VM?

- try other Leopard distribution ...

There were some reports of successful virtualization of Mac OS X on the CPUs without hardware virtualization support for VMware. Each and every report I had seen were mentioning downloading already installed VMware Mac OS X image and changing the settings of the VM. I doubt the stability of the Mac OS X when running inside VM without hardware virtualization support as it is known that the Mac OS X operating system uses rare IA-32 machine instructions that are not supported by the currents versions of the VMware and VirtualBOX on the CPUs without hardware vriatualization support. So you should expect the instability and a lot of hangs even in case you'd be so lucky to had the VM successfully startup.

Thanks for your answer. I'll wait until i buy a new pc with Vt-x support...

If I understand your posts correctly you're trying to install an older version of Mac OS X (10.5 I suppose) by following an older version of the guide and using non-vanilla Mac OS X distro build. The trouble is that you're alone on this way as nobody can tell you for sure that "this will work" or "that wouldn't work at all". The best advice I can give you is to somehow get the Mac OS X 10.6.x retail install DVD, install the latest version of the VirtualBOX 3.2.x and follow the guide step by step. The probability of the successful installation will be much higher then.

Er...I followed step-by-step the takwing guide, as published here: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/index.html

I used what he says: the iAtkos_v7 OSX86 distro on VirtualBox 3.2.4...

If I understand correctly what you said before, there should be a newer guide (where?) and I should throw away the OSX86 distros and use directly a Mac OSX retail install DVD...is this what you mean?

As for Empire EFI - there are a lot of various flavours available to download, so your best bet would be to download all available editions and try them one-by-one in order until you find the one that works for you.

Ok, I will try each Empire EFI...but I already used the one that is declared for AMD processors!

My suggestion:

- have you tried using difference version of the EmpireEFI (which is CPU specific) to boot up your VM?

- try other Leopard distribution ...

Ok, I will try with other Empire EFI versions...

About Leopard distros: I also tried iDeneb, much to the same result...or should I dismiss OSx86 and go straight for a Leopard 10.6.x retail DVD like LeXa2 seems to suggest?

Thanks again!

Er...I followed step-by-step the takwing guide, as published here: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/index.html

I used what he says: the iAtkos_v7 OSX86 distro on VirtualBox 3.2.4...

That's the older version of the guide describing the installation of the Mac OS X Leopard - and that is Mac OS 10.5.x versions. AFAIK it was written in the times of VBox 3.1.x which needed the special patch to work with Mac OS X guests and was later updated to reflect the improvements introduced with the beta versions of the VBox 3.2.0 (i.e. - no more patches needed).

More recent version of the guide can be found here:

This version is about installing Mac OS 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) on the latest versions of the VirtualBOX 3.2.x.

... I should throw away the OSX86 distros and use directly a Mac OSX retail install DVD...is this what you mean?

That's exactly what I mean.

Ok, I will try each Empire EFI...but I already used the one that is declared for AMD processors!

There were at least two versions of EmpireEFI for AMD CPUs out there, one marked as "1.085 R2", and another as "1.085". "1.085" version worked better for me (i.e. no error messages and requests to press any key after booting up and DVD switching), but is was possible to successfully boot into the installation (and installed system) using at least three different EmpireEFI editions. My CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 810.

About Leopard distros: I also tried iDeneb, much to the same result...or should I dismiss OSx86 and go straight for a Leopard 10.6.x retail DVD like LeXa2 seems to suggest?

10.6 is a "Snow Leopard", not "Leopard". It is the more recent version of the Mac OS X featuring a lot of interesting changes like long-awaited adequate unicode support in the terminal, e.t.c.

The main idea of this thread (and a recent version of the guide) is to get most-vanilla installation on the Mac OS X inside VM and the need to use non-vanilla install disks like iDeneb and alike would contradict with the "most vanilla" requirement. Unfortunately it is still required to switch from vanilla kernel on the non-supported CPUs for now but for the rest the system remains in untouched vanilla state.

That's the older version of the guide describing the installation of the Mac OS X Leopard - and that is Mac OS 10.5.x versions. AFAIK it was written in the times of VBox 3.1.x which needed the special patch to work with Mac OS X guests and was later updated to reflect the improvements introduced with the beta versions of the VBox 3.2.0 (i.e. - no more patches needed).

More recent version of the guide can be found here:

This version is about installing Mac OS 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) on the latest versions of the VirtualBOX 3.2.x.

Just for easy reference,

Leopard installation Guide for VB3.2.x: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/index.html

Snow Leopard installation Guide for VB3.2.x:http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...nowl/index.html

takwing, сат you post your Complete Guides somewhere else

because i cannt download them: "Sorry, There are no surveys available to your

country at this time. Please try back later." :P

starik69,

The download link is simply a link for you to download the guide in PDF format.

While "There are no surveys available to your country at this time.", you can still read it online. (Simply use the "Next", "Prev" link at the bottom of the page for navigating through the onlin guide.)