Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

takwing, I've been attempting to follow you're very very through SL guest setup for VB 3.2, but I can't get past the memory allocation error when pressing F5 after inserting my SL disc image. I've tried all of the versions (legacy and not) posted here: http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/ and can't get past the error. Core 2 Quad on a P5QL Pro Mobo...is there anything I'm missing here?

I tried the guide on takwing's site, everything was working fine until i had to start SL. I get this screen.

macerror.png

For me, one of the main issues that I found in reading this thread is the information provided when we reproted a problem. Without sufficient info, it is really hard to know what is happening (not to mention that even with sufficient info, we may not be able to figure out what is going on)

I have so far released 3 guides for the setup. Which one you are following ? what is your software config? at exactly after doing which part of my guide you have the problem?

takwing, I've been attempting to follow you're very very through SL guest setup for VB 3.2, but I can't get past the memory allocation error when pressing F5 after inserting my SL disc image. I've tried all of the versions (legacy and not) posted here: http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/ and can't get past the error. Core 2 Quad on a P5QL Pro Mobo...is there anything I'm missing here?

do you mind posting your vm xml files here?

are you asking for the retail DVD image file name or the SL VM image?

I mean, is there a full image already installed and setuped of snow leopard?

i don't have the retail DVD and i want to save time by getting a fully working image that only needs

setup of some sorts..

OK. This topic is getting a bit large, and has now moved on from installing Snow Leopard indirectly though a distro install of Leopard.

It now seems to be largely supporting using VBOX 3.2's experimental OS X guest support.

After having much trouble with the original method, I had no trouble at all with this new meathod, so I finally have a working SL VM.

So now, let us take stock of the current situation.

--------------------------------------------------

A clean SL install is possible using VBOX 3.2, on supported processors.

This can be done by adding a line to the XML to configure the SMC, or one can use EmpireEFI to install, and to add the FakeSMC kernel extension. Either way, at that point using the built-in EFI to boot should work.

The following notes apply primarally to those who continue booting via EFI, rather than those who choose to switch to using the Chameleon loader:

By default the VM will use 100% CPU. This is a power management problem. The solution is to install the NullCPUPowerManagment kernel extension.

There is no sound support by default. This can be rectified by installing the sound driver Kext, which is available as an installer pkg at http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30843, thanks to xforce (OmegaX).

Some people still have trouble with the sound support, myself included, causing brokenness in sounds. I have not yet seen a good solution for this.

Video support. SL does not have proper drivers for the virtual video card, and ends up Relying on EFI's Graphics Output Protocol. Therefore, it is possible to configure the graphics resolution using the "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" extradata key. The details are in the VBOX 3.2 manual, as well as some posts here, and Takwing's tutorial.

Boot up procedure. VBOX 3.2 loads the kernel in verbose mode by default. According to the VBOX 3.2 manual one can change this by setting the "VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" extradata key, although, my testing shows that some of the boot messages still appear on top of the apple logo screen.

Anything else?

---------------------

Perhaps it would not be a bad idea to create a new thread for continued discussion of VBOX 3.2-based SL installs, so newcomers don't need to read through a bunch of pages of information no longer relevant to them. Thoughts? (I would create the new thread, but I've too few posts).

Do you mean vb3.2 support audio out of the box? or we still need to audio driver released earlier?

Using OmegaX kext ;)

now, i've launched the SAME VB image on 2 different PC...

on a Phenom2 545 CPU with Amd/ATI 480 chipset Audio works PERFECTLY

on a Intel G6950 CPU with Intel h55 chipset Audio works with intermittent pauses

( Snow 10.6.2 Vbox 3.2.0 )

tomorrow i will try audio on an AMD 790 chipset (using the same VM)

EDIT:

on 790 chipset with AMD CPU at 3 Ghz speed, audio is glitchering :D

speed up CPU to 3600 Mhz .. intermittent pauses like on G6950 intel... :(

( a desynchronization issue? )

I would suggest to check this well done "how to" for virtualizing Snow leopard from retail dvd (or its image) with no hacks, only using Vbox 3.2 (only latest version works in this way) and empireEFI

Snow guest under VBox3.2

I have a intel i7, asus MB, and it works great, net works at first boot, i'm only still working on audio.

my toxic 5850 doesn't work good because there isn't any kext from apple.

The only thing i could be improved is the boot without empireEFI, I'm not able to activate it, so i'm still booting with the image of empireEFI, but it isn't such a big problem.

could anyone tell me how to install guestadditions in snow leopard not hacked? is it possible?

I would suggest to check this well done "how to" for virtualizing Snow leopard from retail dvd (or its image) with no hacks, only using Vbox 3.2 (only latest version works in this way) and empireEFI

Snow guest under VBox3.2

I have a intel i7, asus MB, and it works great, net works at first boot, i'm only still working on audio.

my toxic 5850 doesn't work good because there isn't any kext from apple.

The only thing i could be improved is the boot without empireEFI, I'm not able to activate it, so i'm still booting with the image of empireEFI, but it isn't such a big problem.

could anyone tell me how to install guestadditions in snow leopard not hacked? is it possible?

Glad to hear that my guide works for you!

For sound, you can refer to :

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/oth...ound_in_SL.html

For guestadditions, it is not yet available:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/oth...t_addition.html

There are other ways to change the display resolution.

And why you still need EmpireEFI for booting up your VM? Have you followed my guide and try to install the kext files and then enable VB's EFI?

And why you still need EmpireEFI for booting up your VM? Have you followed my guide and try to install the kext files and then enable VB's EFI?

I also can't boot without EmpireEFI. I've followed your guide, which is excellent, by the way, but booting with VB's EFI enabled instead of using the EmpireEFI disc usually freezes at the point where it should load the desktop.

Sometimes it will kernel panic instead, either before reaching the desktop or eventually a few minutes after.

Also, is anyone else finding that Kext Helper b7 will not quit properly after installing the kexts? It seems to install the kexts okay but then I have to force quit it.

Audio is the same as with 3.1.6: scratchy and right channel only.

I also can't boot without EmpireEFI. I've followed your guide, which is excellent, by the way, but booting with VB's EFI enabled instead of using the EmpireEFI disc usually freezes at the point where it should load the desktop.

Sometimes it will kernel panic instead, either before reaching the desktop or eventually a few minutes after.

Also, is anyone else finding that Kext Helper b7 will not quit properly after installing the kexts? It seems to install the kexts okay but then I have to force quit it.

Audio is the same as with 3.1.6: scratchy and right channel only.

Have u installed the null power management kext?

For the kext helper b7, I have the same 'problem' as you... I presume force quiting it shouldn't be a big issue.

Sound like you get sound out of the box, even without the audio driver that is released recently..... though it is scratchy.... have you tried the audio driver?

Have u installed the null power management kext?

For the kext helper b7, I have the same 'problem' as you... I presume force quiting it shouldn't be a big issue.

Sound like you get sound out of the box, even without the audio driver that is released recently..... though it is scratchy.... have you tried the audio driver?

Sorry I didn't fully explain. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and fakesmc.kext are installed per your guide, and I also installed the audio driver by OmegaX. Before installing the audio driver I had no sound at all.

Using OmegaX kext :)

now, i've launched the SAME VB image on 2 different PC...

on a Phenom2 545 CPU with Amd/ATI 480 chipset Audio works PERFECTLY

on a Intel G6950 CPU with Intel h55 chipset Audio works with intermittent pauses

( Snow 10.6.2 Vbox 3.2.0 )

tomorrow i will try audio on an AMD 790 chipset (using the same VM)

EDIT:

on 790 chipset with AMD CPU at 3 Ghz speed, audio is glitchering :D

speed up CPU to 3600 Mhz .. intermittent pauses like on G6950 intel... :(

( a desynchronization issue? )

It does seem to work better since the official 3.2.0 release, and I presume the glitching is in fact a VB issue on some host hardware.

Thanks for adding the driver to your guides, my post on the VirtualBox forums has also been stickied by the mods. :)

As for the kext helper issues, I only noticed those after upgrading from 10.6 to any 10.6.x, it's a little annoying force quitting it and i'd be happy to make an installer package for NullCPUPowerManagement or any other kexts if anyone would like them, feel free to let me know and i'll make packages.

It does seem to work better since the official 3.2.0 release, and I presume the glitching is in fact a VB issue on some host hardware.

Thanks for adding the driver to your guides, my post on the VirtualBox forums has also been stickied by the mods. :D

As for the kext helper issues, I only noticed those after upgrading from 10.6 to any 10.6.x, it's a little annoying force quitting it and i'd be happy to make an installer package for NullCPUPowerManagement or any other kexts if anyone would like them, feel free to let me know and i'll make packages.

Having an installer package for NullCPUPowerManagement would be GREAT!!

Talking about other kexts, what else do you recommend installing?

I got same problem as the_WB:

i followed all your guide, it seems that the kext installation is ok, but the reboot after, booting with VB's EFI enabled, the vistual machine immediatly freeze in a black screen before loading the desktop. it doesn't happen with EmpireEFI and it works all great.

is it possible that's because in using a snow leopard 64 bit virtual machine? i think is the only difference from your guide i do.

I got same problem as the_WB:

i followed all your guide, it seems that the kext installation is ok, but the reboot after, booting with VB's EFI enabled, the vistual machine immediatly freeze in a black screen before loading the desktop. it doesn't happen with EmpireEFI and it works all great.

is it possible that's because in using a snow leopard 64 bit virtual machine? i think is the only difference from your guide i do.

Then why not try to setup SL again by using 32bit VM?

Please kindly post your results here.

Is there a definitive way to change your screen resolution?

I've tried two different ways (editing the XML and a plist file), but neither of them worked. Editing the XML resulted in the image being unbootable.

I am booting via empireefi (following takwing's guide) if that matters.

Is there a definitive way to change your screen resolution?

I've tried two different ways (editing the XML and a plist file), but neither of them worked. Editing the XML resulted in the image being unbootable.

I am booting via empireefi (following takwing's guide) if that matters.

How did you setup your VM?

Did you follow my guide?

How did you setup your VM?

Did you follow my guide?

Yes, I did. It's running in virtualbox 3.2 and I followed your guide but the resolution stuff made the guest unbootable.

I am running windows 7 x64 on a phenom II 940. I have installed virtualbox 3.2.0. I have also used the snow leopard install from here http://osx86.net/f36/snow-leopard-10-6-1-10-6-2-t5016/ . I got it to install. But I am not getting any audio or network connectivity. I have tried to use the small tree driver and tried with the different intel selection inside of virtual box. I tried kext helper to rebuild the kext. I shows up in the list on osx86 under view pci device. I have added some lines to my xml file.

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

I've tried for the life of me to get the nic and audio to work. Any suggestions?

I am running windows 7 x64 on a phenom II 940. I have installed virtualbox 3.2.0. I have also used the snow leopard install from here http://osx86.net/f36/snow-leopard-10-6-1-10-6-2-t5016/ . I got it to install. But I am not getting any audio or network connectivity. I have tried to use the small tree driver and tried with the different intel selection inside of virtual box. I tried kext helper to rebuild the kext. I shows up in the list on osx86 under view pci device. I have added some lines to my xml file.

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

I've tried for the life of me to get the nic and audio to work. Any suggestions?

What I would suggest is to use the retail DVD instead of the modified distribution for the setup.

Yes, I did. It's running in virtualbox 3.2 and I followed your guide but the resolution stuff made the guest unbootable.

If you follow my guide, you shouldn't be modifying the VM's xml to change your display resolution. For this, I cannot understand.