Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

...Patches of VB 3.1.6 PE Windows:VB x86:

VBM.zip...

Here is the original non-patched files if someone kind person out there wants to patch them for us for VB 3.1.8 (XP 32-bit version)

http://www.mediafire.com/?er2gdem42n2

Contains: VBoxDD2.dll, VBoxDD2GC.gc, VBoxDD2R0.r0, VBoxVMM.dll

I'm using r61317 but i still get this error even if I try EFI from Beta 1..

I even tried with Leopard 10.5 and exactly same error.. "Unknown4 of GetVar called"

My bad.. ;) when I didnt choose OS X 64-bit in settings for VM then it worked.. so it seems that this option is not so good for now..

Note: when I tryed on the old pc that have Pentium D, it does not work, but when I tried on a newer laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo then it booted up normal..

I will try more to see if it is possible to make it work on the old one..

Dear Ladys and Gentlemen,

i uploaded last night a Virtual Machine with Mac OS X 10.6 (Vanilla Kernel).

I used Virtualbox 3.20 Beta2 and it's done!

Everyone who like the links: feel free to send me a private message :)

Need some testers ;)

Kindly Regards

MaCXyLo

Try with just:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontstea©AppleComputerInc"/>

(important note: replace "©" with "(" "c" ")" ) and use 10.6.3 retail.

Make sure you have the latest BETA2 with the corrected EFI BIOS.

This was the correct one which booted my retail DVD:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal( c )AppleComputerInc"/> - ( c ) without spaces.

there was 'l' missing and I didn't put the "()". I looked in the fakesmc.kext and noticed these missings ;)

This was the correct one which booted my retail DVD:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal( c )AppleComputerInc"/> - ( c ) without spaces. :)

Yes: VB 3.2 beta2 makes it really easy.

QUESTION:

How does one change screen resolution?

I get 1024x768.

I tried the classic "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" etc. in com.apple.Boot.plist, but it didn't have any effect.

QUESTION:

I get 1024x768.

I tried the classic "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" etc. in com.apple.Boot.plist, but it didn't have any effect.

3.12.1 Video modes in EFI

EFI provides two distinct video interfaces: GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) and UGA

(Universal Graphics Adapter). Mac OS X uses GOP, while Linux tends to use UGA.

VirtualBox provides a configuration option to control the framebuffer size for both

interfaces.

To control GOP, use the following VBoxManage command:

VBoxManage setextradata vmname VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4 referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768,

1280x1024, 1440x900 screen resolution respectively.

To change the UGA resolution:

VBoxManage setextradata vmname VBoxInternal2/UgaHorizontalResolution 1440

VBoxManage setextradata vmname VBoxInternal2/UgaVerticalResolution 900

The video mode for both GOP and UGA can only be changed when the VM is pow-

ered off and remains persistent until changed.

its from the manual. but i have a problem, the instalation was fine but i cant boot, i only get to the EFI shell. I have figured out that my SL hdd is recognised as DVD/CDROM. before shell i get "boot failed DVD/CDROM". with EmpireEFI it installs corectly and is recognized by EFI.

3.12.1 Video modes in EFI

[...]

its from the manual. but i have a problem, the instalation was fine but i cant boot, i only get to the EFI shell. I have figured out that my SL hdd is recognised as DVD/CDROM. before shell i get "boot failed DVD/CDROM". with EmpireEFI it installs corectly and is recognized by EFI.

Thanks for the information concerning screen resolution and the EFI bios: though it doesn't help with my screen resolution of 1280x800 !

I thought one could always tell OSX about the required screen resolution by setting the Graphics Mode key in com.apple.Boot.plist. But it doesn't work here (I had it working in OSX under Vmware.)

Sorry I can't help with your problem: I am an absolute beginner in VB + OSX.

My setup is the following:

Hardware: Core 2 Duo SU9400 / VT-X / 5 MB ram (Dell Latitude E4200).

Host: Windows 7 x64.

- Created a VB 3.2 machine with chosen guest system OSX (not OSX 64bit) with all default values.

- Added the relevant extradata to the XML file.

- Booted from an ISO created from a SL 10.6.3 retail DVD.

Everything works out of the box, except no audio.

QUESTION: Do you know how to turn off the verbose boot, to have instead the graphic Apple boot screen?

EDIT: I should really RTFM ! The answer is:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/>

Though there is still some text output superposed on the graphics boot screen.

I have tried both 10.6 & 10.6.3 retail DVD's. what I did was turned off the EFI, and loaded the DVD with EmpireEFI iso, installed, reboted again with EmpireEFI, created account, installed fakesmc.kext(to simulate the SMC device), turned off, enabled EFI in VM and started SL with succes. No need of the extradata lines.

Remember, as the support for Mac OS X is experimental in VBox, there will be lots of bugs, like 100% cpu load, the shutdown/reboot does not work(you can try EvOReboot.kext) and mouse problems and etc.

Here's my SL with Chameleon,fakesmc,nullcpu,evoreboot:

nuotraukachameleon.th.png

And here's fresh installed SL with fakesmc and EFI enabled:

nuotraukaefi.th.png

I have also hazards version installed, but now it does not load the desktop anymore(flashes black/blue screen).

Mostly I use the version with chameleon bootloader, because the boot procces is with a theme and it's kinda more stable, exept "About this Mac" does not work and there is no sound(EFI version also does not have sound). And there are shutdown/restart problems in both versions.

I tried this on CORE 2 DUO CPU with SSSE3 support. I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS WIHT YOUR CPU AND DONT ASK ME ABOUT IT. I EXPLAINED HERE MY OWN EXPERIENCE.

Thanks a lot of the hint on suing EmpireEFI.iso for boot up. I can installed 10.6.3 now.

For the fakesmc.kext, what should I do to install it? I have experience in installing SL via using a Leopard system. At that time, after I copied the kext file to the target directory, I issue the following commands in my Leopard system (the targer SL volumne is SnowVol):

- sudo -s

- cd /Volumes/SnowVol/System/Library

- chown -R root:wheel Extensions/

- cd /Volumes/SnowVol/Extra

- chown -R root:wheel Extensions/

- kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/SnowVol/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/SnowVol/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/Volumes/SnowVol/System/Library/Extensions

- kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/SnowVol/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/SnowVol/Extra/Extensions.mkext

/Volumes/SnowVol/Extra/Extensions

I have tried that on my newly installed SL system (by booting it up with empireEFI.iso) with the path changed. But it does not work....

Other than installing fakesmc.kext, should I remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext?

for installing kexts just simply use "Kext helper". you dont need to remove cpupowermanagement.kext if you install nullcpupovermanagement.kext because nullcpupovermanagement.kext disables appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext.

for installing kexts just simply use "Kext helper". you dont need to remove cpupowermanagement.kext if you install nullcpupovermanagement.kext because nullcpupovermanagement.kext disables appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext.

Thanks for the info!! I can now boot up my SL w/ EFI enable...

Thanx for all input guys! This is from my experience.. :)

* Create a new VM with Mac OS X (NOT 64bit) in VB 3.2.0 Beta 2

SATA controller (AHCI) for Hard Disk

IDE controller (ICH6) for DVD device

* Then put this in xml file:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(a)AppleComputerInc"/>

* Use Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.3

* On laptop (HP 6930p) with Intel Core 2 Duo it works to boot straight from SL 10.6.3 with EFI enabled

However after installation and restart, It needs to bootup without EFI and one of these: Empire EFI, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or Rebel EFI

* On workstation (HP XW4300) with Pentium D 940 (SSE1-3 support) it does not work to boot straight with SL 10.6.3

Tested these optional boots:

Empire EFI 10.8.5 Don't work (http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/empire-efi)

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 1.1.0 Works (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1343)

Rebel EFI Don't work (http://store.psystar.com/rebel_efi)

well, here's mine experience: SL DVD starts but the keyboard does not work. I can install it without keyboard. istallation is without errors, but after restart I get a screen that the keyboard is missing, but the mouse works. maybe its because I have a wirelles combo set.

I have another installation that I installed using EmpireEFI. everything works good w/ EFI, exept the high cpu load, but I have installed NullCpuPowerManagement.kext and now I can have 2 cpus runing but also with high load. A process called "mds" is using the cpu.

And last I have yet another installation of SL, but this time it's with Chameleon bootloader, fakesmc, nullcpu kexts. but this time this combination works good. both cpus are loaded about 10%, I have a nice boot screen, and I think I can configure my screen resolution as desired, bcs with EFI the max is 1440x900.

well, thats my experience.

Edit: the mds procces was the spotlight indexing my pc, after indexing CPU is about 10%. yeah!

post-477740-1273584164_thumb.png

QUESTION:

I get 1024x768.

Hey,

I spent a bit of time on the graphics / resolution.

In the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist you will, by default, see the following:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

To set it so that the graphics, by default, run at a certain resolution, you will want to update the 'string' attribute, below the line <key>Kernel Flags</key>, so it will look like:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

</dict>

I hope this helps.

/Mike

Hey,

I spent a bit of time on the graphics / resolution.

In the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist you will, by default, see the following:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

To set it so that the graphics, by default, run at a certain resolution, you will want to update the 'string' attribute, below the line <key>Kernel Flags</key>, so it will look like:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

</dict>

I hope this helps.

/Mike

I believe you are not using EFI to boot up your SL....as this does not work for me.

For changing the video mode in EFI, we can refer to post #405 above. I have also included that in my tech page also.

Thanx for all input guys! This is from my experience.. :)

* Create a new VM with Mac OS X (NOT 64bit) in VB 3.2.0 Beta 2

SATA controller (AHCI) for Hard Disk

IDE controller (ICH6) for DVD device

* Then put this in xml file:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

* Use Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.3

* On laptop (HP 6930p) with Intel Core 2 Duo it works to boot straight from SL 10.6.3

* On workstation (HP XW4300) with Pentium D 940 (SSE1-3 support) it does not work to boot straight with SL 10.6.3

Tested these optional boots (without EFI option under system for VM):

Empire EFI 10.8.5 Don't work (http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/empire-efi)

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 1.1.0 Works (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1343)

Rebel EFI Don't work (http://store.psystar.com/rebel_efi)

rEFI 0.14 Don't work (http://refit.sourceforge.net)

Hi I have a Pentium D 915 and I follow all the steps you said but it just crashes or I get a critical error. The only thing I didn't know how to do was the step about an xml file can you explain what that is and how to do it?

Hi I have a Pentium D 915 and I follow all the steps you said but it just crashes or I get a critical error. The only thing I didn't know how to do was the step about an xml file can you explain what that is and how to do it?

Does Pen tium D 915 support VT-x?? This is a must for running Mac OS X guest.

I believe you are not using EFI to boot up your SL....as this does not work for me.

For changing the video mode in EFI, we can refer to post #405 above. I have also included that in my tech page also.

Hey,

You are right. I am not using EFI to boot up Snow Leopard. I used EmprieEFI.

I downloaded EmpireEFI and attached the ISO to Snow Leopard, as a CD/DVD Device. This gave me a 'CD' inside my Snow Leopard install. I opened the CD and installed 'myHack Installer' in the 'Post-Installation' folder.

This myHack installs a custom EFI to your machine and allows the graphics command I posted earlier, #413, to work. Plus it comes with a nice GUI :)

/Mike

Hey,

You are right. I am not using EFI to boot up Snow Leopard. I used EmprieEFI.

I downloaded EmpireEFI and attached the ISO to Snow Leopard, as a CD/DVD Device. This gave me a 'CD' inside my Snow Leopard install. I opened the CD and installed 'myHack Installer' in the 'Post-Installation' folder.

This myHack installs a custom EFI to your machine and allows the graphics command I posted earlier, #413, to work. Plus it comes with a nice GUI :(

/Mike

Thanks for confirming this (I am quite new in running MacOSX under VB). Can you share with me what are the adv / disadv in booting up SL by using EmpireEFI, Chameleon Boot Loader and the default EFI in SL?

Also, do you know how to solve the problem of having an error while shutting down the MacOSX guest?

the advantage of a different bootloader is that you can change the theme and you can change to your desired resolution. the boot time is almost the same.

there seem to be a couple different successful methods being discussed in this thread so it's confusing as to what the steps are. Is it necessary to add the xml lines:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

and

also what do you mean by:

can someone explain what these do and if / when they are needed? thanks.

there seem to be a couple different successful methods being discussed in this thread so it's confusing as to what the steps are. Is it necessary to add the xml lines:

and

also what do you mean by:

can someone explain what these do and if / when they are needed? thanks.

Different settings / steps are used in setting up SL under VB is probably due to the fact that different people are using different methods/tools.

I would suggest going through the whole process at least once so that you get "one working method" for your environment. It will then help you to understand other people's methods (just like there are at least 2 methods to change the display resolution, one for default EFI and one for the Empire EFI).

Perhaps you can follow my guide first to get a basic understand on the whole process:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/v32...all1/index.html

Just to state clear here is that I am not the one who invent the installation method. I, just other people, learn from others' and our own experence.

Thanx nilezon! Im sure that this is useful for people who wants to use VB 3.1.8 in windows 32-bit!

Hi Qazwsx1!

When you created the VM and made all the settings, then close VB.

Locate the *.xml file for the VM and add the 2 lines (only the line for SmcDeviceKey is necessary, but I like to have both :) )

If you dont know where to find your xml file for the VM you created look in VB and Preferences..

There you will see the Default Hard Disk folder & Default Machine Folder

hello guys, this tutorial doesnt work for me. im on win 7 64 bit and vbox 3.20 beta 2. I added this line to extradata:

After the kexts load, im getting this screen, and nothing happenes

any help?

im using retail snow leopard dvd converted to iso...

post-616165-1273668016_thumb.jpg

hello guys, this tutorial doesnt work for me. im on win 7 64 bit and vbox 3.20 beta 2. after the kexts load, im getting this screen, and nothing happenes, i added the lines to extradata, the first one...

any help?

post-616165-1273668016_thumb.jpg

Probably you need to try another Boot?..

Empire EFI 10.8.5 (http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/empire-efi)

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 1.1.0 (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1343)

Rebel EFI (http://store.psystar.com/rebel_efi)