Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I have the same problem, my OSX 10.6.3 virtual machine that was properly working (no shutdown) on vitrualbox 3.2.0 is now freezing in boot sequence. the same VM works fine whith chamelion

So, I think it is confirmed that there is problem in the EFI in VB 3.2.4..... you have been warned about upgrading to VB3.2.4 already...see

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/news/vb324_rls.html

I'm trying to install SL via retail DVD, but it's not working. Efi loads, then I switch dvd, press F5 and enter and I get a bunch of error messages. Could this be because the DVD is shown in the windows finder as "boot camp" (700MB)? Any way I can make it act as if it's been put in a mac? Or am I doing something else wrong? All settings appear to be correct. I'm running the DVD via iso.

"Kext es.osx86.driver.Ev0reboot - Failed to resolve library dependencies"

Much appreciated.

I'm trying to install SL via retail DVD, but it's not working. Efi loads, then I switch dvd, press F5 and enter and I get a bunch of error messages. Could this be because the DVD is shown in the windows finder as "boot camp" (700MB)? Any way I can make it act as if it's been put in a mac? Or am I doing something else wrong? All settings appear to be correct. I'm running the DVD via iso.

"Kext es.osx86.driver.Ev0reboot - Failed to resolve library dependencies"

Much appreciated.

Sound like you are using a physical DVD disc instead of mounting an ISO image.

The first thing I would try is : enable the "Passthough" option for the virtual DVD drive.

Perhaps listing down your hardware (CPU) and software configuration may help others to figure out what is happening on your machine. Try describing the case in details may also help.... I presume "EFI loads" mean you are booting up the EmpireEFI..... sorry if my guess is wrong....

it's possible that with PAE the system slowdown(a little)?

PAE would always work more slow than the non-PAE mode as it introduce additional level of the virtual memory mapping (paging). The concept of the multi-gigabyte memory slices offered by PAE requires more maintenance from both the OS side and the hardware side. On the other hand there shouldn't be noticeable decrease in performance from the point of "general everyday system use".

As for virtualization of the PAE I don't know for sure is it much more resource demanding comparing to regular IA-32 system virtualization or not.

A new article has been written, summarizing how to install the legacy kernel. In particular, this should help solving some of the boot up problems that people will encounter if they use AMD CPUs.

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq...acy_kernel.html

May I take this chance to thank nawcom for releasing this legacy kernel. Besides, I would like to thank LeXa2 for explaining in previous posts how to install this kernel.

In case there is anything mis-stated in the article, please let me know.

Thank you for your reply...I eventually managed to get the installation done: it had problems with the "Dynamically expanding storage" setting.

Specifying a "Fixed-size storage" for installation, the process went straight on.

VirtualBOX 3.2.0 and 3.2.2 have got some nasty bug regarding to the possible data corruption on dynamically expanding hard disk images. This bug had been fixed in VBox 3.2.4, but there were reports that in VBox 3.2.4 the EFI booting into Mac OS X had been broken.

VirtualBOX 3.2.0 and 3.2.2 have got some nasty bug regarding to the possible data corruption on dynamically expanding hard disk images. This bug had been fixed in VBox 3.2.4, but there were reports that in VBox 3.2.4 the EFI booting into Mac OS X had been broken.

Yes, the EFI booting is broken in VB3.2.4. I have reported that and in the response received, it is stated that "we will re-spin 3.2.4".

While there is problem for booting up Mac OS X guest by using VB's EFI in build v62431, the VB team has promptly responsed by providing us with build 62467.

You can get v3.2.4 build 62467 here.

I have tested this build (VirtualBox-3.2.4-62467-Win.exe) and so far, it runs smoothly for both Mac OS X, Windows and Ubuntu guests.

Thanks takwing for your help, I am following your guide.

Passthrough cannot be enabled because it is greyed out. (It is the same in your screenshot in the guide)

I am installing this on the bootcamp partition of my imac. Just a test as I will have to install it on someone else's computer.

Note also that the error message I said earlier is not the only error, here is the big one:

unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI" @/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IoPlatformExpert.cpp:2389

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I have a Question hope the members of here will give me a great answer..

I have a custom built pc which is a

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

320GB Hard

320GB Hard

I would like to know whether i can install Snow leopard neither OS X Leopard in PC or in VirtualBox . thanks i hope for a fast reply.

And Yeah i have iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition, so please tell me if i could install it or not.... i have seen several pc with my specs have installed it. but i am not able to install it.. please explain me why and tell me what options do i have to choose.. In Pc or in VirtualBox.

I have a Question hope the members of here will give me a great answer..

I have a custom built pc which is a

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

320GB Hard

320GB Hard

I would like to know whether i can install Snow leopard neither OS X Leopard in PC or in VirtualBox . thanks i hope for a fast reply.

And Yeah i have iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition, so please tell me if i could install it or not.... i have seen several pc with my specs have installed it. but i am not able to install it.. please explain me why and tell me what options do i have to choose.. In Pc or in VirtualBox.

I don't see why you cannot install SL on your PC using VirtualBox v3.2.x. What I recommend is to use the retail SL DVD (better to use 10.6.3 if you have one) so that you can follow my guide. If you use other "hacked" distribution, you may need to test it out to see which one works for you.

Besides, as you are using AMD Phenom II X4 CPU, I bet you need to install the legacy kernel. There are already some discussion here.... you can also refer the new article that I have just posted in my web site today.

Thanks takwing for your help, I am following your guide.

Passthrough cannot be enabled because it is greyed out. (It is the same in your screenshot in the guide)

I am installing this on the bootcamp partition of my imac. Just a test as I will have to install it on someone else's computer.

Note also that the error message I said earlier is not the only error, here is the big one:

unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI" @/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IoPlatformExpert.cpp:2389

Thanks again for any suggestions.

"Passthrough" option is greyed out in my screen as I have mounted an ISO image to the DVD device. If you can using REAL DVD drive, that option should not be greyed out (and I have double-check it already).... ok, I have gone through your previous post again... and finally I am aware of your statement "running the DVD via ISO" (sorry for my bad English as English is not my mother tongue).

I don't own a iMac... but what I know is that bootcamp enable Mac to dual boot MacOS and Windows, so I presume you are actually running VB under Windows OS in your test trialm right

My suggestions would be:

- try setting the CPU count to 1 in your VM settings

- check the ICH6 is used as the disk controller

- try using other latest versions of the EmpireISO, there are different EmpireISO for different CPU.

Okay thanks for the kind information.. I do own a iDeneb 10.5.8 . and it seems to work for others too.. and from where am i gonna get that legacy kernel. now i am trying is VirtualBox 3.1.2 .

Sould like you are new in setting up MacOSX in VirtualBox. Don't worry, I am new to it also!

My recommendation would be:

- install VirtualBox v3.2.4 build 62467

- well, you can stick with iDeneb 10.5.8 (if this is the only distribution that you have on hand)

- then refer to my guide "Virtualizing MacOSX Leopard under VirtualBox v3.2.0" as a reference

If for any reason you want to stick with VB3.1.2, then what I think are:

- try using VB 3.1.6

- you need to use the Trinitron's patch (you can get more info from my page: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/page2.html)

And no matter which version of VB you will be using, you probably need to isntall the legacy driver. Please refer to my new article "10.6.3 Legacy Kernel for Intel/AMD " posted in my site. You will get the necessary information about it (including where you can download it).. or you can refer to previous posts in this discussion thread.

Okay Man... well i am gonna download that patch.. and try to patch in 3.1.2 and if it doesn't works i will download 3.2.4 what you recommended . And tell me how to patch trinitron's patch to 3.2.4 or 3.1.2

For Trinitron's patch, please read my page (http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vb3...pard/page2.html) for more info. You will need that only for VB3.1.x.

MacOSX guest is already "supported" since VB3.2.0 and so no more patching is to be done on VB.

Frankly speaking, setting up MacOSX under VB is actually not that difficult (despite the fact that for are some hardware configurations, we need to perform some more steps/procedures to make the VM works ... e.g. installing the legacy kernel for some AMD CPUs). The major problem is "we don't know what we should use and do".... so please spend some time going through my guide... (and it is too bad that the guide for setting up Leopard under VB3.1.x has been removed from my site recently...)

well i have went on a success Installation of Apple Mac OS X iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 through VMWare Server 2.0 . don't know what will happen after the installation whether i will be bootable to it or not... Time is here... we can fix the issue with the help of everyone.. :D

Installation was successful.. but It shows a problem now.

see it and tell me how to fix it.. please.. i will be glade to see your help over it.

probd.png

Is it because i didn't applied PS/2 Fix?? or else can you state me anything over this problem will be waiting...

Installation was successful.. but It shows a problem now.

see it and tell me how to fix it.. please.. i will be glade to see your help over it.

At the time of setting up Leopard unless VB3.1.x, this is somehow "expected"... so it is good to hear that you can reached that point!

If you were using iATKOS_v7 distribution, this problem can be solved by booting up iATKOS_v7 DVD, perform a customized installation with with just "Post-Install Actions" and "Voodoo PS/2 driver" options checked (i.e. to install the Voodoo PS/2 dirver).

Is there any similar option available in iDeneb v1.6?

And just FYI, that problem has been "solved" in VB3.2.x..... MacOS can detect that there is a keyboard.

well man.. i am using VMWARE Server 2.0 for test and it completed.. Yes but i didn't select Voodoo PS/2 Driver.. it has two drivers that why i dont know what to select

Voodoo PS/2 Driver

ApplePS2Controller Driver

.... so i have to choose voodoo or apple one??

iDeneb 10.5.8 installed Succesfully by VirtualBox 3.2.x (latest). thanks to takwing for helping me to solve the problem... soon a guide on how to install by VMWARE will be posted by me... and once again thanks.. will be back if i have any other problems.

I'm not able to run SL 10.6.3 on VB 3.2.4 using more then 2 Gb of RAM........... ;)

it's normal to have in the virtulal machine's options "Mac Os X server" instead of "Mac OS X" when i have to choose if the system is 32bit or 64bit? i've never seen it since the release of VB 3.2.4.

I'm not able to run SL 10.6.3 on VB 3.2.4 using more then 2 Gb of RAM........... :(

it's normal to have in the virtulal machine's options "Mac Os X server" instead of "Mac OS X" when i have to choose if the system is 32bit or 64bit? i've never seen it since the release of VB 3.2.4.

Leo,

Do you mean you can run SL 10.6.3 on VB3.2.0 / VB3.2.2 using more than 2 GB of RAM? Please clarify as the answer would be useful for isolating the problem (is it a new problem first appears in VB3.2.4 or an existing problem since VB3.2.0).

I have tried to set my VM to use 3GB of memory too and the VM cannot start up (I cannot even see the virtualbox logo in the VM). What I can confirm is that this problem is related to booting up the VM by EFI.

just tested that even in VB3.2.2, the VM with EFI option enabled cannot startup if more than 2GB is used. Forum in virtualbox.org is down at this moment and so I cannot report this.