Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

for 32bit VM I mean to choose Mac OS X and not Mac OS X (x64).

first you say it works on other pc. let me know if you followed exaxtly the takwing guide and If you are using a ratail copy of Snow Leopard or an Hacked one (the retail one is better).

I have selected "Mac OS X" and i did follow takwing's guide using a retail iso, but the error appears way before the VM hard drive even tries to boot. I don't even see the bios flash before i see the error. When i click to start the VM, the VM window comes up, then closes with the error. Also, this doesn't just happen when i select "Mac OS X." It also happens if i select BSD or anything else with EFI enabled.

I have selected "Mac OS X" and i did follow takwing's guide using a retail iso, but the error appears way before the VM hard drive even tries to boot. I don't even see the bios flash before i see the error. When i click to start the VM, the VM window comes up, then closes with the error. Also, this doesn't just happen when i select "Mac OS X." It also happens if i select BSD or anything else with EFI enabled.

Have you posted your problem and findings in virutalbox.org's forum?

At this stage, while you have follow the same guide and tried to setup your VM in 2 PCs, one successed but one failed if you enable EFI option, I don't think there would be anything that you have done wrong.

It seems to me that perhaps by looking at the code of VB, one may get more hints on what is happening..... and definitely, we need experts' (and developers') help on this.

At this stage, while you have follow the same guide and tried to setup your VM in 2 PCs, one successed but one failed if you enable EFI option, I don't think there would be anything that you have done wrong.

It seems to me that perhaps by looking at the code of VB, one may get more hints on what is happening..... and definitely, we need experts' (and developers') help on this.

you could be right

Last question, does it work using empireEFI?

When I attempt to set my cpu to more that 1 in virtualbox I get a kernel panic. I have uploaded the image. This also happens on my physical pc and I am unable to install snow leopard on my pc. I even tried cpu=1 when empire efi boots but it doesn't work.

post-170730-1275052278_thumb.jpg

Thanks takwing, this was going to be my next step as well.

Last question, does it work using empireEFI?

It does work using empireEFI. Thats actually how i set it up. I'll see what can be done in the VBox forums. I usually don't update to major feature releases of VBox until they start releasing maintenance releases (for this reason), but i got excited. Looks like my options for now are to keep using empireEFI or install Chameleon, at least until there is a fix. Thanks for your trying.

When I attempt to set my cpu to more that 1 in virtualbox I get a kernel panic. I have uploaded the image. This also happens on my physical pc and I am unable to install snow leopard on my pc. I even tried cpu=1 when empire efi boots but it doesn't work.

I am not sure if this is your first post on your problem or not...

the first question comes into my mind is : "what is your environment? have you followed EXACTLY my guide in doing the setup?

(Well, I am not saying my guide is PERFECT, but it's really hard to tell what is happening as different people use different hardward, software, procedure to do the setup.)

I've been trying to get a SL vm to boot with EFI turned on, but i keep getting an error that says:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Snow Leopard.

One of the DMI strings is too long. Check all bios/Dmi*

configuration entries. At least 359 bytes are needed but

there is no space for more than 352 bytes

(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA)

Unknown error creating VM(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component: Console

Interface: IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

post-591580-1274925758_thumb.png

The error comes up right after i tell the VM to start. It will boot just fine if i turn the EFI switch off. I just uninstalled VirtualBox 3.2, cleared all my settings in .virtualbox, and reinstalled VirtualBox 3.2. It didn't change a thing. Has anyone else seen this?

Just want to clarify one point:

- If you create a VM with EFI enabled and do nothing (i.e. not starting to install SL via using the EmpireEFI or other means), will the same error appears when you boot with a clean disk?

It does work using empireEFI. Thats actually how i set it up. I'll see what can be done in the VBox forums. I usually don't update to major feature releases of VBox until they start releasing maintenance releases (for this reason), but i got excited. Looks like my options for now are to keep using empireEFI or install Chameleon, at least until there is a fix. Thanks for your trying.

Initially my SL could work only with empireEFI, not with VM's EFI, so i tried installing Chameleon, but I haven't been able to let it boot. if you are able to do this, post your results!

Can anyone else verify that the built-in EFI works fine in VB 3.2.0 without the need for any other bootloaders?

I have a retail copy of SL 10.6.0 and it loads fine if I mount it in the Settings->Storage dialog for the VM and then check "Passthrough". It loads, installs, and then boots without a hitch! Working right now on 10.6.3 update...so I can't verify a successful update yet.

I do have the following lines in my XML for the VM under the <Extra Data> section:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="4"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

I haven't yet installed the audio kext. Also, the mouse seems to have problems. It gets lost in certain applications and won't work, although clicking on the Desktop seems to restore its function. The app in which it went haywire hangs though and requires ForceQuit.

Working right now on 10.6.3 update...so I can't verify a successful update yet.

Just successfully updated to 10.6.3. This is all straight VB 3.2.0 and a retail copy of SL. Nothing else has been installed...

I haven't yet installed the audio kext. Also, the mouse seems to have problems. It gets lost in certain applications and won't work, although clicking on the Desktop seems to restore its function. The app in which it went haywire hangs though and requires ForceQuit.

I am still having instabilities when actually trying to use the VM. For example, start the Chess app. Make two moves and the app hangs and requires Force Quit -- at least on my system which is Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Can anyone else verify that the built-in EFI works fine in VB 3.2.0 without the need for any other bootloaders?

I have a retail copy of SL 10.6.0 and it loads fine if I mount it in the Settings->Storage dialog for the VM and then check "Passthrough". It loads, installs, and then boots without a hitch! Working right now on 10.6.3 update...so I can't verify a successful update yet.

I do have the following lines in my XML for the VM under the <Extra Data> section:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

If you want to fake the SMC via addinte an extraDataItem, the value should be:

"ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc".

This is what I seen in other posts. For me, I am using the fakeSMC kext.

Are you setting up your SL as according to my guide, or you have followed other's approach?

Just successfully updated to 10.6.3. This is all straight VB 3.2.0 and a retail copy of SL. Nothing else has been installed...

I am still having instabilities when actually trying to use the VM. For example, start the Chess app. Make two moves and the app hangs and requires Force Quit -- at least on my system which is Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Can you share with us how you setup your SL VM by just VB3.2.0 and a retail copy of SL? How you get the power management stuff to work? (I have to either use EmpireEFI to boot it or install NullCPUPowerManagement kext, or remove IntelCPUPowerManagement kext)

And what you have done on the SMC? (I am usuing fakeSMC kext).

I have troed the Chess App, it's working fine in my VM.

If you want to fake the SMC via addinte an extraDataItem, the value should be:

"ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc".

That is what I typed in my first post, no?

Can you share with us how you setup your SL VM by just VB3.2.0 and a retail copy of SL? How you get the power management stuff to work? (I have to either use EmpireEFI to boot it or install NullCPUPowerManagement kext, or remove IntelCPUPowerManagement kext)

To get the install to work on my 10.6.0 retail DVD I setup the virtual machine as your guide shows, except I enabled the built-in EFI emulation provided by VB 3.2.0 in Settings->System instead of using EmpireEFI. The key is also to select "Passthrough" on the emulated CD/DVD drive containing the retail SL DVD as I stated. Everything booted and installed fine without any changes. This is pretty simple to verify.

Using this method there is apparently no need to remove or replace the IntelCPUPowerManagement kext to allow the install and/or reboot to work.

I have troed the Chess App, it's working fine in my VM.

It appears my hangs were caused by the speech synthesis feature being enabled in the Chess app. Other problems also appear to be related to sound issues. When I disable features related to sounds, the instability disappears.

I will work on installing the audio kext and report back on stability.

That is what I typed in my first post, no?

To get the install to work on my 10.6.0 retail disk I setup everything as your guide shows, except I enabled the built-in EFI emulation provided by VB 3.2.0 in Settings->System instead of using EmpireEFI. The key is also to select "Passthrough" on the CD drive as I stated. Everything booted and installed fine without any changes.

Don't know why mine wants to hang after two moves...

Why not setup your SL by following my guide EXACTLY? or is there any reason that force you to modify it?

FYI, I am tried SL 10.6.2 (in VB3.1.4 and VB3.1.6) and 10.6.3 (in VB3.2) Install Disc before...

Why not setup your SL by following my guide EXACTLY? or is there any reason that force you to modify it?

Nothing forces me. EmpireEFI does not appear to be required with VB 3.2.0, so why bother with extra steps that are not necessary? The built-in EFI in VB 3.2.0 appears adequate.

Again, I'm looking for someone to verify that this works on other systems.

Nothing forces me. EmpireEFI does not appear to be required with VB 3.2.0, so why bother with extra steps that are not necessary? The built-in EFI in VB 3.2.0 appears adequate.

For me, I need EmpireEFI to kick off the installation.

Let me try the SMC extraDataItem later.... that doesn't work in my first trial...

Good day to all.

I'm using VBox 3.2.0 final under CentOS5 host. My CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 810.

I was able to install SL 10.6.3 from retail DVD using almost the same procedure as described in takwing guide, but there are some major differences when it comes to the end of the installation and post-install fixups.

First of all, it became obvious that it is possible to get MacOS X 10.6.3 up and running inside vbox 3.2.0 on my configuration as long as I succeeded in geting through the Empire EFI to the Max OS Install utility language selection dialog. The Empire EFI image that worked for me was the 1.085 AMD one (md5 of ISO equals to 84fac6135d48d7bcea8c528e756dcbec, this is the only Empire EFI archive with the only single Legacy*.iso inside).

I was also able to successfully boot into the installer using Empire EFI 1.085 based on 1.00 with Intel GMA Kernel Fix and Empire EFI 1.085 R2 for AMD/i3M/i5M, but is was required to follow this method:

1. Boot into Empire EFI.

2. Swap DVD to MacOS X retail install, press F5.

3. Press TAB to switch into text mode.

4. Enter any boot commandline parameters if needed.

5. Press enter and wait till some complaints appear about bootloader not being able to update DSDT/load some kexts/e.t.c. It will ask you to press any key to continue booting.

6. Press any key and the system will (hopefully) boot.

Is is required to use TAB key and switch into text mode before booting, or else you will not be able to "press any key" - system will just ignore your keypresses and hang there.

Next, as for MacOS installation: I wasn't able to get successfull install of the system: the last step of the installation - using the bless tool to mark the disk as the one EFI bios should boot from - fails. This error is not a rare thing, as it have been mentioned frequently enough on forums, but I still have no idea concerning what is the cause and what are the possible consequences to this error. For the refference, the exact error message in installation log is: "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk".

To recover from this error it is recommended to use disk tool's repair function on the freshly installed system partition.

Next, I had no success in booting into Max OS using vbox EFI implementation - it just drops me into the EFI Shell.

I had spend some time inspecting what was wrong, and it looks like there's a bug in current version of virtual box 3.2.0 EFI - it simply fails to detect any hard drives attached to the emulated SATA controller. Removing SATA controller and attaching HDD image to the regular ICH6 PATA bring the things back to what they should be: EFI happily detects the Mac OS X system partition and tries to boot from it. Or course, it fails as AFAIK it is impossible to boot into Mac OS 10.6.x when the system volume is not located on the HDD connected to the AHCI SATA controller.

Thus, I've got a question to the takwing: what exactly were you doing in order to avoid "bless tool was unable" error, and to force your vbox EFI into detecting HDDs connected to SATA AHCI controller?

Thanks in advance for answers and suggestions.

No success on vbox 3.2.0/CentOS 5.

Built-in EFI tries to boot normally from retail install DVD, but the kernel then hopefully hangs - I'm pretty sure that this issue is related to the wrong CPUID reported to the guest (I'm on AMD Phenom).

Main problem, as I had described earlier, is that vbox EFI fails to detect any HDD attached to emulated SATA controller, thus making boot impossible. For me it is required now to use some kind of bootloader to boot into Mac OS installation.

Good day to all.

I'm using VBox 3.2.0 final under CentOS5 host. My CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 810.

I was able to install SL 10.6.3 from retail DVD using almost the same procedure as described in takwing guide, but there are some major differences when it comes to the end of the installation and post-install fixups.

First of all, it became obvious that it is possible to get MacOS X 10.6.3 up and running inside vbox 3.2.0 on my configuration as long as I succeeded in geting through the Empire EFI to the Max OS Install utility language selection dialog. The Empire EFI image that worked for me was the 1.085 AMD one (md5 of ISO equals to 84fac6135d48d7bcea8c528e756dcbec, this is the only Empire EFI archive with the only single Legacy*.iso inside).

I was also able to successfully boot into the installer using Empire EFI 1.085 based on 1.00 with Intel GMA Kernel Fix and Empire EFI 1.085 R2 for AMD/i3M/i5M, but is was required to follow this method:

1. Boot into Empire EFI.

2. Swap DVD to MacOS X retail install, press F5.

3. Press TAB to switch into text mode.

4. Enter any boot commandline parameters if needed.

5. Press enter and wait till some complaints appear about bootloader not being able to update DSDT/load some kexts/e.t.c. It will ask you to press any key to continue booting.

6. Press any key and the system will (hopefully) boot.

Is is required to use TAB key and switch into text mode before booting, or else you will not be able to "press any key" - system will just ignore your keypresses and hang there.

Next, as for MacOS installation: I wasn't able to get successfull install of the system: the last step of the installation - using the bless tool to mark the disk as the one EFI bios should boot from - fails. This error is not a rare thing, as it have been mentioned frequently enough on forums, but I still have no idea concerning what is the cause and what are the possible consequences to this error. For the refference, the exact error message in installation log is: "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk".

To recover from this error it is recommended to use disk tool's repair function on the freshly installed system partition.

Next, I had no success in booting into Max OS using vbox EFI implementation - it just drops me into the EFI Shell.

I had spend some time inspecting what was wrong, and it looks like there's a bug in current version of virtual box 3.2.0 EFI - it simply fails to detect any hard drives attached to the emulated SATA controller. Removing SATA controller and attaching HDD image to the regular ICH6 PATA bring the things back to what they should be: EFI happily detects the Mac OS X system partition and tries to boot from it. Or course, it fails as AFAIK it is impossible to boot into Mac OS 10.6.x when the system volume is not located on the HDD connected to the AHCI SATA controller.

Thus, I've got a question to the takwing: what exactly were you doing in order to avoid "bless tool was unable" error, and to force your vbox EFI into detecting HDDs connected to SATA AHCI controller?

Thanks in advance for answers and suggestions.

No success on vbox 3.2.0/CentOS 5.

Built-in EFI tries to boot normally from retail install DVD, but the kernel then hopefully hangs - I'm pretty sure that this issue is related to the wrong CPUID reported to the guest (I'm on AMD Phenom).

Main problem, as I had described earlier, is that vbox EFI fails to detect any HDD attached to emulated SATA controller, thus making boot impossible. For me it is required now to use some kind of bootloader to boot into Mac OS installation.

LeXa2,

Thanks for your sharing!

I haven't encountered the mentioned "bless tool was unable" error and I haven't seen this error in other posts too (sorry that I am quite new to the forum and hasn't read all the posts here). Besides, I did nothing to force my vbox EFI into detecting HDDs connected to SATA AHCI controller.

In fact, since day 1 I tried to setup MacOSX in VB, what I learnt (from those experts' experience) is that we need to use ICH6 as the storage controller. This is also documented in my guide and I have used that also in VB3.2.

I believe this is why I haven't encountered the "bless tool was unable" error.

Have you tried to setup your VM from scratch by using ICH6 and kick off SL installation?

Wondering if someone can help me out here.

I am using Virtual Box 3.2.0 and I have EmpireEFI burnt onto DVD along with an ISO file of Snow Leopard 10.6

I have created my virtual machine with the settings copied from here - http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/v32...all1/page2.html

I boot up EmpireEFI fine, unmount the EmpireEFI DVD and switch to my ISO file of Snow Leopard.

Switch to tab mode and hit enter ...

It then tells me to press any key. I do so and then I am presented with a black screen and it does not move forward.

I am using a custom built rig, consisting of...

Windows 7 64 Bit

Intel Core I3 Processor Overclocked 3.52GHz

4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

Gigabyte GA-H55M UD2H Motherboard

Where am I going wrong? Why won't the installation load up.

Thanks.

Wondering if someone can help me out here.

I am using Virtual Box 3.2.0 and I have EmpireEFI burnt onto DVD along with an ISO file of Snow Leopard 10.6

I have created my virtual machine with the settings copied from here - http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/v32...all1/page2.html

I boot up EmpireEFI fine, unmount the EmpireEFI DVD and switch to my ISO file of Snow Leopard.

Switch to tab mode and hit enter ...

It then tells me to press any key. I do so and then I am presented with a black screen and it does not move forward.

I am using a custom built rig, consisting of...

Windows 7 64 Bit

Intel Core I3 Processor Overclocked 3.52GHz

4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

Gigabyte GA-H55M UD2H Motherboard

Where am I going wrong? Why won't the installation load up.

Thanks.

Do you mind checking if ICH6 is used as the storage controller in your VM?

Here are the main settings of the Virtual Box.

efio.jpg

storagecontroller.jpg

That's look good.

well... one point comes into my mind....

while you are using iCore3, which is a "new" CPU, I wonder what is the version for the SL retail DVD that you are using. 10.6.3?

If you are using 10.6.0, I wonder if this would work.... FTI, I am running on iCore5 CPU and setup by using the 10.6.3 retail DVD.

Here are the main settings of the Virtual Box.

efio.jpg

storagecontroller.jpg

t0m0,

Can you try the following:

1) Create a clean virtual HD without EmpireEFI or any other bootloader.

2) Select "Enable EFI" in Virtual Box.

3) Insert the actual retail SL DVD into the DVD drive (not an ISO image) and point Virtual Box to this drive. Then select "Passthrough" for the DVD drive in Virtual Box.

That works for me if I have the following settings in the XML file for the virtual machine under the <ExtraData> section (be sure to completely exit Virtual Box when editing the XML):

Also, could my graphics card be a problem?

It's an ATI Radeon, not an N-Vidia card.

t0m0,

Can you try the following:

1) Create a clean virtual HD without EmpireEFI or any other bootloader.

2) Select "Enable EFI" in Virtual Box.

3) Insert the actual retail SL DVD into the DVD drive (not an ISO image) and point Virtual Box to this drive. Then select "Passthrough" for the DVD drive in Virtual Box.

That works for me if I have the following settings in the XML file for the virtual machine under the <ExtraData> section (be sure to completely exit Virtual Box when editing the XML):

Do I edit the XML file after I create my hard drive?

Can I use an extendable hard drive or does it have to be fixed?

So to confirm? I skip the bootloader step and just get it to straight away read my SL DVD?

In fact, since day 1 I tried to setup MacOSX in VB, what I learnt (from those experts' experience) is that we need to use ICH6 as the storage controller. This is also documented in my guide and I have used that also in VB3.2.

I believe this is why I haven't encountered the "bless tool was unable" error.

Have you tried to setup your VM from scratch by using ICH6 and kick off SL installation?

Oh, thanks for pointing into it. I had used to the fact that it is required to switch the SATA controller to the AHCI mode in BIOS in order to successfully install OS X on regular PC. That's why I had used SATA controller in the vbox VM. Now, looking into the pictures in your guide once again I had finally noticed that you've got both virtual HDD and DVD attached to the regular IDE ICH6 controller. That's definitely makes a difference. As for vbox EFI vs. SATA HDD - it is a bug in vbox EFI implementation for sure, so I had filled a bug report to the Oracle's Virtual Box public bug tracker. In any case, as it is impossible in virtual box to change CPUID reported inside the guest, it is still required to change the kernel and patch the software to be able to boot and use Mac OS X on the AMD-based host. So I had taken a Chameleon 2 RC4 approach for now, leaving vbox EFI support turned off.

And again, thank you very much for your discoveries concerning ICH6. I think that it would be great to update your guide with a large bold reminder for users to attach both HDD and DVD to the ICH6 IDE instead of the SATA AHCI.

Also, could my graphics card be a problem?

It's an ATI Radeon, not an N-Vidia card.

No, your graphic card is not a problem definitely, as it is not exposed to the guest VM.

Your problem is most probably related to the CPUID mismatch, as Core i3 is not something Apple had been using in their computers. What version of Empire EFI do you use? I would recommend to give a try to the 1.085 R2 AMD/i3M/i5M version, and - if that fails - to the 1.085 AMD version. As a last resort you may try to download all the Empire EFI variations and try to boot each, one-by-one. I bet that you will manage to find an image that will work for you.

Although, be prepared that it will be required to use non-vanilla Mac OS kernel and - possibly - to patch software CPUIDs the same way it should be done for the AMD-based hosts. Also don't forget to press F5 prior pressing TAB and booting to the SL Installer - you didn't mentioned you pressed it in your posts.