Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I have OS X Server 10.6.3 running pretty well in VBox 3.2 beta 3. there is one small problem for me... When I open "About this Mac" the Finder crashes and logs me out.

Any ideas on a fix?

if you use non EFI boot then there is no fix that I know, but with EFI enabled there are no such problems.

Hello,

I'm using Virutalbox 2.3.0 beta3 + EmpireEFI.

I've trouble to enable the network... I'm using bridge mode, do you know enable it?

Thanks

Hardware: Intel 5300 AGN

Emulation: Intel PRO/1000 T Server

Bridge Mode

guys, i just noticed that in my empire efi the bootloader is chameleon RC3, can RC4 solve my problems?

EDIT: i used EXACTLY the same empire efi which is on wing's tutorial on his site, first time presong f5 no **** is happening, second time pressing = getting MEMORY ALLOCATION error, i think i just have to wait till someone creates iatkos or ideneb with verison 10.6.x

guys, i just noticed that in my empire efi the bootloader is chameleon RC3, can RC4 solve my problems?

EDIT: i used EXACTLY the same empire efi which is on wing's tutorial on his site, first time presong f5 no **** is happening, second time pressing = getting MEMORY ALLOCATION error, i think i just have to wait till someone creates iatkos or ideneb with verison 10.6.x

I had the same exact problem, but after taking a look at this page, I decided to try making a temporary virtual disk for the installation files. I created a new, temporary virtual hard disk, mounted it on the Leopard VM I already had set up, formatted it using the disk utility, copied the contents of the install dvd to this new disk (making sure to include all hidden files), and installed chameleon on that disk. After all that was done, I simply mounted that disk as the primary slave drive for the Snow Leopard VM. Empire EFI was able to detect the disk and start the installation process. Other than that, I followed takwing's instructions (thanks for the guide, btw) and everything installed just fine.

While it works fine for the most part, I'm having trouble getting Virtualbox's own EFI working with it. The only way I can get it to boot is by using the Empire EFI boot disk. Installing Chameleon on it doesn't work, and if I enable EFI in the virtual machine settings, the boot process freezes not long after the line "Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext" shows up on the screen. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if it's something stupid that I missed during installation, but I can't figure out what.

I had the same exact problem, but after taking a look at this page, I decided to try making a temporary virtual disk for the installation files. I created a new, temporary virtual hard disk, mounted it on the Leopard VM I already had set up, formatted it using the disk utility, copied the contents of the install dvd to this new disk (making sure to include all hidden files), and installed chameleon on that disk. After all that was done, I simply mounted that disk as the primary slave drive for the Snow Leopard VM. Empire EFI was able to detect the disk and start the installation process. Other than that, I followed takwing's instructions (thanks for the guide, btw) and everything installed just fine.

While it works fine for the most part, I'm having trouble getting Virtualbox's own EFI working with it. The only way I can get it to boot is by using the Empire EFI boot disk. Installing Chameleon on it doesn't work, and if I enable EFI in the virtual machine settings, the boot process freezes not long after the line "Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext" shows up on the screen. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if it's something stupid that I missed during installation, but I can't figure out what.

after doing what u said im getting mac os x install dvd in empire efi, BUT it isnt loading and hangs somewhere, will post a screenshot soon

EDIT: here is the screenshot

post-616165-1273918491_thumb.jpg

after doing what u said im getting mac os x install dvd in empire efi, BUT it isnt loading and hangs somewhere, will post a screenshot soon

EDIT: here is the screenshot

post-616165-1273918491_thumb.jpg

I see that it says something about dubious ownership. I'm guessing you might not have preserved permissions and ownership. If I remember correctly, I used this command:

cp -Rpv /Volumes/(name of DVD)/* /Volumes/(name temporary hard drive)

in the terminal to copy over the files. Obviously, you have to change the parts in parenthesis to the names of the mounted install DVD and the disk you intend to copy them to.

I see that it says something about dubious ownership. I'm guessing you might not have preserved permissions and ownership. If I remember correctly, I used this command:

cp -Rpv /Volumes/(name of DVD)/* /Volumes/(name temporary hard drive)

in the terminal to copy over the files. Obviously, you have to change the parts in parenthesis to the names of the mounted install DVD and the disk you intend to copy them to.

the command doesnt work for me...

any other way to copy?

EDIT: can i just copy with my finder, then chmod the files?

the command doesnt work for me...

any other way to copy?

EDIT: can i just copy with my finder, then chmod the files?

It should work, what's the error exactly? Are you making sure to enclose the names of the folders in quotation marks if they have spaces? I'm pretty sure the installation DVD has spaces, so you should type it out like this:

cp -Rpv /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/* /Volumes/Temporary

Note the quotes around the source folder, make sure you do the same with the destination folder if you named it using spaces. Also, keep in mind that the "-Rpv" options are case sensitive, so make sure you're typing it as written and not as "-rpv"

It should work, what's the error exactly? Are you making sure to enclose the names of the folders in quotation marks if they have spaces? I'm pretty sure the installation DVD has spaces, so you should type it out like this:

cp -Rpv /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/* /Volumes/Temporary

Note the quotes around the source folder, make sure you do the same with the destination folder if you named it using spaces. Also, keep in mind that the "-Rpv" options are case sensitive, so make sure you're typing it as written and not as "-rpv"

this time it worked, thank you, it is copying, will write when done...

or after i try to boot

EDIT: 1 question, -Rpv means 777 premisions (sounds noobish)?

this time it worked, thank you, it is copying, will write when done...

or after i try to boot

EDIT: 1 question, -Rpv means 777 premisions (sounds noobish)?

-R means recursive, meaning it'll copy subfolders and not just the files in the folder you specified. -p means preserve permissions, meaning it'll keep the permissions equal to the original file, and -v simply means verbose, it prints exactly what it's doing. Without the -v option the cp command wouldn't print any output, so it's a good way to see what exactly what it's doing, or whether it's doing anything at all.

EDIT: -p actually preserves most (or all?) of the original file's attributes, not just permissions.

-R means recursive, meaning it'll copy subfolders and not just the files in the folder you specified. -p means preserve permissions, meaning it'll keep the permissions equal to the original file, and -v simply means verbose, it prints exactly what it's doing. Without the -v option the cp command wouldn't print any output, so it's a good way to see what exactly what it's doing, or whether it's doing anything at all.

showing exactly the same...

anything else to do?

If that didn't work, then I guess it's not a problem with ownership/permissons. I'm out of ideas.

i chmoded that directory

chmod -Rv 777 /Volumes/"Snow Install"/*

it chmoded everything ecept boot.efi

but this didnt work either...

so i have to w8 till next beta and hope it will help...

thanks for help to I Am A Noob (which is not true)...

cheers

:thumbsup_anim:

a fast way to bypass the splash/warning window of Vbox Beta (on Win)

just create a shortcut that link to:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm "OSX Test"

where "OSX Test" can be replaced with name of VB VirtualMachine.

I'm running VB 3.2 beta 3 on Windows 7 x64 (AMD).

I've got a Snow Leopard installed using the Empire EFI boot disk.

I've installed the kexts referenced here

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/v32...all1/page6.html

but enabling EFI boot always fails to boot.

But, I can live with booting thought Empire EFI, except I am stuck at 1024x768. (I want 1440x900).

I've tried: (with VirtualBox closed)

VBoxManage setextradata osx VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4

and

VBoxManage setextradata osx CustomVideoMode1 1440x900x32

(as well as editing the xml files directly), but they have no effect, and don't persist. They appear in VM xml file initially, but disappear after bringing up settings or booting the VM.

I've also tried editing com.Apple.boot.plist to:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

This does persist through a boot - but no effect.

Any suggestions?

I'm running VB 3.2 beta 3 on Windows 7 x64 (AMD).

I've got a Snow Leopard installed using the Empire EFI boot disk.

I've installed the kexts referenced here

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/v32...all1/page6.html

but enabling EFI boot always fails to boot.

But, I can live with booting thought Empire EFI, except I am stuck at 1024x768. (I want 1440x900).

I've tried: (with VirtualBox closed)

VBoxManage setextradata osx VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4

and

VBoxManage setextradata osx CustomVideoMode1 1440x900x32

(as well as editing the xml files directly), but they have no effect, and don't persist. They appear in VM xml file initially, but disappear after bringing up settings or booting the VM.

I've also tried editing com.Apple.boot.plist to:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

This does persist through a boot - but no effect.

Any suggestions?

Talking about the failure in booting up, have you tried installing the kext as in myHack fromEmpireEFi's Post-Installation folder (you can refer to post #469 for the details)? (Well, I haven't tested it as I can boot up my VM w/o these kext files).

For modifying your vm's xml files, make sure VB is not running while you edit it. This is the most common "mistake" that we made when editing it (I am making the same mistakes initially too).

I have just installed myHack fromEmpireEFi's Post-Installation.

As expected, I have to disable VB's EFI option so that my VM can boot up. The sound interruption / pause problem occur again under such a configuration and therefore I have fallback by restoring my snapshot.

With the above testing result, I would like to check with all of you on one thing. Is there anyone that can play audio smoothly without any problem after installing myHack? This may be a useful info for isolating the sound interruption problem of the audio driver.

Talking about the failure in booting up, have you tried installing the kext as in myHack fromEmpireEFi's Post-Installation folder (you can refer to post #469 for the details)? (Well, I haven't tested it as I can boot up my VM w/o these kext files).

For modifying your vm's xml files, make sure VB is not running while you edit it. This is the most common "mistake" that we made when editing it (I am making the same mistakes initially too).

No, VirtualBox is always closed when I edit the xml (or use VBoxMange).

Just tried myHack install. I get the myHack boot screen, with "press a key for options", but it switches to grey Apple screen, and it hangs (no disk activity.

I also tried replacing /boot with one from Chameleon RC4. Again no change.

If I enable EFI boot, then it just gives me a textual EFI Shell.

No, VirtualBox is always closed when I edit the xml (or use VBoxMange).

Just tried myHack install. I get the myHack boot screen, with "press a key for options", but it switches to grey Apple screen, and it hangs (no disk activity.

I also tried replacing /boot with one from Chameleon RC4. Again no change.

If I enable EFI boot, then it just gives me a textual EFI Shell.

With Chameleon installed, if you enable EFI boot, the textual EFI shell is expected (I also get this). Anyway, if Chameleon is used, we shouldn't enable EFI boot. (Well, to my best knowledge, Chameleon is used to in fact, bypass the EFI stuff.)

For changing the resolution, have you tried what I have stated in my web?

Please refer to post #483 for the details.

With Chameleon installed, if you enable EFI boot, the textual EFI shell is expected (I also get this). Anyway, if Chameleon is used, we shouldn't enable EFI boot. (Well, to my best knowledge, Chameleon is used to in fact, bypass the EFI stuff.)

For changing the resolution, have you tried what I have stated in my web?

Please refer to post #483 for the details.

Yes, followed your web instructions to the letter.

The changes to ExtraDataItem aren't sticking (or having any effect).

Yes, followed your web instructions to the letter.

The changes to ExtraDataItem aren't sticking (or having any effect).

That's strange, I have just tested it (the approach that I documented in http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vir...15_display.html), it works.

I can get the high resolution (I am testing 1360x768) and the changes in the xml file are sticking.

I have attached my vm's xml file for your reference. May be you can try copy-and-paste the corresponding lines to your own vm's xml file for testing.

Hope that helps!

Snow_working.xml

I did get the resolution to stick when pasted from your file.

(It looked identical to mine, except yours seemed to have more newlines - I wonder is there is a newline issue?)

However still had no effect on resolution. I've created a new machine, and followed your instructions again,

and after install, and applying the two kexts, I enable EFI boot and it hangs:

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1|1)/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part 2,SigB62076AD-B685-460C-BFD2-2632FA618AC6)

boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

.Loading 'mach_kernel'...

................................................................................

root device uuid is 'xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx-xx-xxxx'

Loading drivers...

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext...

................................................................................

then nothing more.

Any thoughts?

I did get the resolution to stick when pasted from your file.

(It looked identical to mine, except yours seemed to have more newlines - I wonder is there is a newline issue?)

However still had no effect on resolution. I've created a new machine, and followed your instructions again,

and after install, and applying the two kexts, I enable EFI boot and it hangs:

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1|1)/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part 2,SigB62076AD-B685-460C-BFD2-2632FA618AC6)

boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

.Loading 'mach_kernel'...

root device uuid is 'xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx-xx-xxxx'

Loading drivers...

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext...

then nothing more.

Any thoughts?

There are basically 2 methods to change the resolution. One is for the Chameleon boot loader environment and one is for the VB's EFI environment. I should have post a reply earlier.

Sound like to me that you are using VB's EFI environment but tried to patch the vm xml file and SL's boot file (this method is for the Chameleon boot loader environment).

For the hd issue, are you using the expected disk controller in your VM?