Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

So has anybody managed to get this to work for a 32-bit guest SL?

I for one would actually need to run the SL as a 32 bit guest, or not at all. You see, my processor is an original Core Duo (Yes not Core 2 Duo, just plain Core Duo), so it has Intel VT-x, but lacks EMT64, so it cannot run a 64 bit guest.

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that this is just not going to work.

So has anybody managed to get this to work for a 32-bit guest SL?

I for one would actually need to run the SL as a 32 bit guest, or not at all. You see, my processor is an original Core Duo (Yes not Core 2 Duo, just plain Core Duo), so it has Intel VT-x, but lacks EMT64, so it cannot run a 64 bit guest.

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that this is just not going to work.

I'm using SL on an amd rig with a 32 bit ubuntu host, using the 3.2 beta. I set it up to run in 32 bit mode, though if there's a boot flag I can pass on to it to ensure it's 32 bit I'd be happy to run it.

I'm using the hazard dvd, however, because I'm running this on amd. I disabled usb and when I created my partition I went into options and specified that it install as an MBR instead of the GUID partition scheme. I was able to re-enabled USB after installation, though it prompted me to configure my keyboard.

Hope that helps!

When I try to install leopard in VirtualBox 3.16 using iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 (Final).iso it hangs after the following message:

USBF: 8.930 AppleUSBOHCI[0x3222800]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Also I could not find the acceleration tab in the VirtualBox settings, could my core2 be too low specced to have it?

I've installed osx before using the lifehacker guide and everything worked fine except multiple monitors and dual booting always broke the windows bootloader.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P (used in lifehacker)

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI HD4850 512M

Core 2 Duo E7400

ethernet card: TRENDNT|TEG-PCITXR GIG (one used in lifehacker)

4gigs ram

seagate HD

post-613029-1273024985_thumb.png

When I try to install leopard in VirtualBox 3.16 using iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 (Final).iso it hangs after the following message:

USBF: 8.930 AppleUSBOHCI[0x3222800]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Also I could not find the acceleration tab in the VirtualBox settings, could my core2 be too low specced to have it?

Try to check in BIOS and enable for this kind of stuff and then probably you will abel to see the acceleration tab after..

/Coop

I've installed osx before using the lifehacker guide and everything worked fine except multiple monitors and dual booting always broke the windows bootloader.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P (used in lifehacker)

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI HD4850 512M

Core 2 Duo E7400

ethernet card: TRENDNT|TEG-PCITXR GIG (one used in lifehacker)

4gigs ram

seagate HD

hi. I have same CPU and same problem with different OSX images...

Coop75, seems like there's nothing to do in BIOS to get Acceleration. I didn't find. Seems like only CPUs with virtualisation tech have possibility to install OSX as VM (when I've read this topic, had hope that there's some way to make it working, but seems like I'll just change CPU - need OSX for some purposes, but don't think it has to cost like some Mac Mini even for now).

Try to check in BIOS and enable for this kind of stuff and then probably you will abel to see the acceleration tab after..

/Coop

Also @Zork UA

Did some more research and found out that depending on when you bought your E7400 / what the retailer had in stock at the time you could get a SPEC # SLB9Y, SLGQ8 or SLGW3. The SLGW3 being the newest and the only one supporting virtualization. I took my cpu out and checked it and unfortunately it was the SLB9Y...

Guess I'm out of luck.

Unfortunately, as of now, this will only work on Apple hardware. Any ideas?

I have not tried this but you asked for ideas so here it is.

Since VirtualBox 3.2 BETA2 is now out try that since it will have even more updates and better support than BETA1: http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA2/

Next, make a virtual machine configuration for Mac OS X--make sure to select the right OS type (vbox changes some virtual hardware based on the OS type specifically for OS X).

Use the command:

VBoxManage setextradata "<machinename>" "VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"

to added the SMC device key (since you are not running on real Mac hardware)

Use a clean generic Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install disk (either client or Server) and boot that and install it into the created vbox virtual machine.

Best of luck.

So I have this up and running on virtualbox 3.1.6, however the performance is bad. I'm assuming this is because there are not any osx 'guest additions'. It's odd, sometimes the VM is just fine, other times it just sits and waits for a couple minutes before responding to a click, keypress, etc. I'm currently giving it two gigs of ram, I'm thinking of throwing some more at it.

I use the computer for a ton of Windows 2008 x64 VMs and they just fly, almost seem native.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Hi Black Trinitron,

You have done a great job here. I have been installing SL on two machines, an X86 Intel Core 2 based desktop, and an AUS Intel I5 64-bit laptop.

1. The desktop is nearly there. Snow Leopard boots and runs, and I get the Internet in Safari -- but only if I have audio disabled in VBox!! Very strange! Any suggestions?

2. I have not been so lucky with the I5 - quad processor. Leopard works well. I can create the SL disk. But it will not boot. I have tried all types of configurations but get "No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is ..." It seems to be looking for a DMI table. Any suggestions here too?

In general, what would you do differently for attempting to get SL running on a 64-bit machine?

Cheers.

I installed VB 3.2.0 Beta 2 and finally there is an option for Mac OS X where you choose Operating System.

I had this in xml file:

<code>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

</code>

But it did not start with original Snow Leo 10.6..

Any suggestions?

I installed VB 3.2.0 Beta 2 and finally there is an option for Mac OS X where you choose Operating System.

I had this in xml file:

<code>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

</code>

But it did not start with original Snow Leo 10.6..

Any suggestions?

Try with just:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontstea©AppleComputerInc"/>

(important note: replace "©" with "(" "c" ")" ) and use 10.6.3 retail.

Make sure you have the latest BETA2 with the corrected EFI BIOS.

I have installed VB3.2.0 Beta 2 with the latest EFI files on iCore5 750 system.

I have created a new MacOS X VM by:

• specifying MacOS X as the OS type
  • use 1 CPU, 2048MB RAM, ICH6 as the disk controller
  • patch the machine.xml file by adding the line
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontstea©AppleComputerInc"/>

I boot up the VM with retail 10.6.3 ISO image file. SL installation can be started but in the middle of the installation process, VB reports an error.

Attached is my machine.xml and also the log. Anyone knows what is wrong?

post-582594-1273482446_thumb.png

SnowTest.xml

post-582594-1273482519_thumb.png

VBox_log.txt

Try with just:

(important note: replace "©" with "(" "c" ")" ) and use 10.6.3 retail.

Make sure you have the latest BETA2 with the corrected EFI BIOS.

Thanx for Info rlsx! :D but where do i find the corrected EFI files?.. probably thats why it does not work for me..

Been testing with both 10.6 and 10.6.3 and same result..

I get an error under boot that says:

Unknown4 of GetVar called

Thanx for Info rlsx! :D but where do i find the corrected EFI files?.. probably thats why it does not work for me..

Been testing with both 10.6 and 10.6.3 and same result..

I get an error under boot that says:

Unknown4 of GetVar called

You can either download the latest beta 2 (r61317) again. Details can be found in:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30694

You can either download the latest beta 2 (r61317) again. Details can be found in:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30694

I'm using r61317 but i still get this error even if I try EFI from Beta 1..

I even tried with Leopard 10.5 and exactly same error.. "Unknown4 of GetVar called"

So my problem is something else, sounds like some Variable is wrong? or maybe because of the host machine?

The one I have been trying on is a Pentium D 940 (with SSE1-3 support) with XP 32-bit.

VB 3.1.8 just came.. but probably that one works even worse? :D but Im going to try later anyway..

Hi,

I followed the instructions, get Leo running pretty well, installed the SL, but when boot up, i got AppleIntelPowerManagement error, what am I missing?

I also have problems with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Has anyone got a workaround for this?

post-512293-1273503469_thumb.png

I also have problems with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Has anyone got a workaround for this?

post-512293-1273503469_thumb.png

use only one cpu, or boot with empire efi and install NullCpuPowerManagement.kext

By the way, got SL working on Ubuntu 10.04. :P

use only one cpu, or boot with empire efi and install NullCpuPowerManagement.kext

By the way, got SL working on Ubuntu 10.04. ;)

are you using 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 retail DVD for the installation? In the middle of the installation, my VM just crashed (as described in my previous post)....

any help?

I'm using r61317 but i still get this error even if I try EFI from Beta 1..

I even tried with Leopard 10.5 and exactly same error.. "Unknown4 of GetVar called"

So my problem is something else, sounds like some Variable is wrong? or maybe because of the host machine?

The one I have been trying on is a Pentium D 940 (with SSE1-3 support) with XP 32-bit.

VB 3.1.8 just came.. but probably that one works even worse? ;) but Im going to try later anyway..

Yes I get the "Unknown4 of GetVar" when running "Mac OS X (64 bit)" guest (in Windows 7 64 bit host).

If I try "Mac OS X" (i.e. 32 bit) guest then I don' t get that message, but it still hangs when printing the "...."

Any suggestions?

are you using 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 retail DVD for the installation? In the middle of the installation, my VM just crashed (as described in my previous post)....

any help?

I have tried both 10.6 & 10.6.3 retail DVD's. what I did was turned off the EFI, and loaded the DVD with EmpireEFI iso, installed, reboted again with EmpireEFI, created account, installed fakesmc.kext(to simulate the SMC device), turned off, enabled EFI in VM and started SL with succes. No need of the extradata lines.

Remember, as the support for Mac OS X is experimental in VBox, there will be lots of bugs, like 100% cpu load, the shutdown/reboot does not work(you can try EvOReboot.kext) and mouse problems and etc.

Here's my SL with Chameleon,fakesmc,nullcpu,evoreboot:

nuotraukachameleon.th.png

And here's fresh installed SL with fakesmc and EFI enabled:

nuotraukaefi.th.png

I have also hazards version installed, but now it does not load the desktop anymore(flashes black/blue screen).

Mostly I use the version with chameleon bootloader, because the boot procces is with a theme and it's kinda more stable, exept "About this Mac" does not work and there is no sound(EFI version also does not have sound). And there are shutdown/restart problems in both versions.

I tried this on CORE 2 DUO CPU with SSSE3 support. I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS WIHT YOUR CPU AND DONT ASK ME ABOUT IT. I EXPLAINED HERE MY OWN EXPERIENCE.