Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

for me the resolution works great. I only use chameleon bootloader and nullcpu kext. I just edited boot.plist and machines xml for the resolution and now I have working at 1920x1080x32. EFI is disabled. also without EFI "About this Mac" does not work, but it's not needed.

What I would suggest is to use the retail DVD instead of the modified distribution for the setup.

If you follow my guide, you shouldn't be modifying the VM's xml to change your display resolution. For this, I cannot understand.

I said I tried both ways. Neither worked.

Having an installer package for NullCPUPowerManagement would be GREAT!!

Talking about other kexts, what else do you recommend installing?

NullCPUPowerManagement installer package: DOWNLOAD

Hope that helps people.

I might post this on the VB forums also maybe with a combo installer of audio driver and other useful kexts, if theres any others that are useful to anyone I can make packages for them too, I currently am only using NullCPUM and audio.

I think you can run original Mac OS X DVD on any PC. (using VBox 3.2.0)

You just need to inject the right CPU ID + decryption keys into VBox XML.

Anyone has idea how to do it?

-Technologov

are you talking about the info as in post #523?

Then why not try to setup SL again by using 32bit VM?

Please kindly post your results here.

using a 32bit machine i can boot with EFI's VM enabled without the disc's image of empireEFI. I think my problem was this..and changing from 64bit to 32bit VM i solved. but i cannot understand why it doesn't work with 64bit SL machine.

Can anyone explain me the reason of it?

jznomoney: Thanks, your configuration at least boots... trying to install now. I got 10.6.x by Hazard.

As for network: Intel PRO1000/T adapter should work.

Audio:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30843

I have some questions:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiBootArgs" value=" "/>

What does it mean?

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

What does it mean? The decryption key ?

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

What does it mean?

-Technologov

I've been trying to get a SL vm to boot with EFI turned on, but i keep getting an error that says:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Snow Leopard.

One of the DMI strings is too long. Check all bios/Dmi*

configuration entries. At least 359 bytes are needed but

there is no space for more than 352 bytes

(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA)

Unknown error creating VM(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component: Console

Interface: IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

post-591580-1274925758_thumb.png

The error comes up right after i tell the VM to start. It will boot just fine if i turn the EFI switch off. I just uninstalled VirtualBox 3.2, cleared all my settings in .virtualbox, and reinstalled VirtualBox 3.2. It didn't change a thing. Has anyone else seen this?

I've been trying to get a SL vm to boot with EFI turned on, but i keep getting an error that says:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Snow Leopard.

One of the DMI strings is too long. Check all bios/Dmi*

configuration entries. At least 359 bytes are needed but

there is no space for more than 352 bytes

(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA)

Unknown error creating VM(VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component: Console

Interface: IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

post-591580-1274925758_thumb.png

The error comes up right after i tell the VM to start. It will boot just fine if i turn the EFI switch off. I just uninstalled VirtualBox 3.2, cleared all my settings in .virtualbox, and reinstalled VirtualBox 3.2. It didn't change a thing. Has anyone else seen this?

This is the first time I see such a problem..... it may help other experts here more about it by listing down your hardware & software configuration. For example, when CPU you are using? and VB is run under Linux, Mac, or Win7 or Vista?

jznomoney: Thanks, your configuration at least boots... trying to install now. I got 10.6.x by Hazard.

Had success with Hazard 10.6.2 as well, create a standard 32-bit OSX VM and boot with EFI enabled. Does not require any extra steps, install and boot. However, did notice making even small changes to the stock configuration would bugger me at times like switching from Nat to Bridged network.

Maximus Formula (Intel X38)

8GB DDR2-1000

Q6600 @ 3.2GHz

9800GT

Windows (7) 2008 R2 Server (Host OS)

This is the first time I see such a problem..... it may help other experts here more about it by listing down your hardware & software configuration. For example, when CPU you are using? and VB is run under Linux, Mac, or Win7 or Vista?

Sure:

Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB Ram

VB 3.2 on Win 7 x64

The VM is a Mac VM. I get the same error if i change the VM to be BSD with EFI on.

I've tried the exact same process on another computer and it worked fine.

Any ideas? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Hi . Sorry for my bad english... I`m install SL as guest OS using Efi. Host - Win 7 x64. After instalation I install ac97 drivers, then install my hack from EFI, and then nullcpu power managment. Also i done this http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vir...15_display.html (1920x1080) . System work, but sound with interapting. And sometimes i see gray screen with reboot request. I can`t close it. This screen can be after boot or after working some time.

Can you help me?

P.s. Virtual Box 3.2, machine setup as 20 page, i give 2 gb Ram.... (host have 4)

post-619048-1274976707_thumb.png

Sure:

Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB Ram

VB 3.2 on Win 7 x64

The VM is a Mac VM. I get the same error if i change the VM to be BSD with EFI on.

I've tried the exact same process on another computer and it worked fine.

Any ideas? Am I the only one experiencing this?

I got similar pc, i have had some problem with 64bit VM using takwing guide, i solved using a 32bit VM, I'm not sure your error is the same of mine, but I suggest you to try using 32bit VM. maybe it will work, i hope :unsure:

I seem to have better luck getting the VM to boot all the way to the desktop with EFI on and without EmpireEFI if the VM is set for only 1 CPU instead of 2. I haven't done thorough testing but there have been no kernel panics with 1 CPU.

I got similar pc, i have had some problem with 64bit VM using takwing guide, i solved using a 32bit VM, I'm not sure your error is the same of mine, but I suggest you to try using 32bit VM. maybe it will work, i hope :(

I'm not sure what you mean by using a 32bit VM. I'm not selecting the Mac OS X (x64) if that's what you're referring to.

I have the VM setup to use 2 CPUs, 1 GB of Ram, 3D is on with 128 Mb VRam, PAE/NX is on, VT-x and Nested Paging are on, IO APIC, absolute pointing device, and EFI are on, audio is enabled (and works when i boot without EFI), and USB is enabled.

If anyone has any ideas or can see where EFI would be incompatible with one of these settings, please let me know. I'm about out of ideas.

I'm not sure what you mean by using a 32bit VM. I'm not selecting the Mac OS X (x64) if that's what you're referring to.

I have the VM setup to use 2 CPUs, 1 GB of Ram, 3D is on with 128 Mb VRam, PAE/NX is on, VT-x and Nested Paging are on, IO APIC, absolute pointing device, and EFI are on, audio is enabled (and works when i boot without EFI), and USB is enabled.

If anyone has any ideas or can see where EFI would be incompatible with one of these settings, please let me know. I'm about out of ideas.

for 32bit VM I mean to choose Mac OS X and not Mac OS X (x64).

first you say it works on other pc. let me know if you followed exaxtly the takwing guide and If you are using a ratail copy of Snow Leopard or an Hacked one (the retail one is better).

Hi . Sorry for my bad english... I`m install SL as guest OS using Efi. Host - Win 7 x64. After instalation I install ac97 drivers, then install my hack from EFI, and then nullcpu power managment. Also i done this http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/vir...15_display.html (1920x1080) . System work, but sound with interapting. And sometimes i see gray screen with reboot request. I can`t close it. This screen can be after boot or after working some time.

Can you help me?

P.s. Virtual Box 3.2, machine setup as 20 page, i give 2 gb Ram.... (host have 4)

I would suggest removing IntelCPUPowerManagement kext from your SL.

You may want to take a snapshot of your VM in virutalbox before testing this.