Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

Hi,

I downloaded legacy_kernel-10.3.0.pkg, it went into my downloads folder and I installed it from there.

I have gone into the terminal and cd .. to the highest level. Here are the files in the top level directory...

drwxrwxr-x+ 28 root admin 952 31 May 17:17 Applications

drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 68 31 May 18:21 Backup Extensions

drwxrwxr-t+ 56 root admin 1904 31 May 18:15 Library

drwx------ 28 root wheel 952 31 May 18:00 Mac OS X Install Data

drwxr-xr-x@ 2 root wheel 68 23 Jun 2009 Network

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 31 May 18:09 System

drwxr-xr-x 5 root admin 170 31 May 18:17 Users

drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin 136 31 May 20:14 Volumes

drwxr-xr-x@ 39 root wheel 1326 31 May 18:06 bin

drwxrwxr-t@ 2 root admin 68 23 Jun 2009 cores

dr-xr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3977 31 May 2010 dev

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 31 May 18:01 etc -> private/etc

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1 31 May 20:14 home

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 7443026 5 Apr 00:36 legacy_kernel

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 7443026 5 Apr 00:36 legacy_kernel.old

-rw-r--r--@ 1 root wheel 18659362 26 Feb 19:59 mach_kernel

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1 31 May 20:14 net

drwxr-xr-x@ 6 root wheel 204 31 May 18:11 private

drwxr-xr-x@ 64 root wheel 2176 31 May 18:06 sbin

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 31 May 18:01 tmp -> private/tmp

drwxr-xr-x@ 11 root wheel 374 31 May 18:15 usr

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 31 May 18:01 var -> private/var

Here is the contents of com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Thanks for your help.

Thanks.I done this. Now testing . Results coming soon (i'll write here) . Mac os is a new system for me.....i am always use windows. it is very interesting system. How can about to share folders from windows 7 host ? Is it possible or not ? And if yes, how can i do this?

Other question...: When i restart or shut down macos VM i allways shut down or reset virtual machine manual, because i see the blue screen with black dot on it and nothing happen... Can i restart or shot down without terminated a machine?

p.s. thank you for next reply....

please kindly check my guide / articles in my web site. Answers for both of your questions are there already. Basically,

- we access win7's share folder by using smb protocol

- at this moment, it is expected that MacOS VM cannot be shutdown or reset "properly"

How can about to share folders from windows 7 host ? Is it possible or not ? And if yes, how can i do this?

Mac OS comes with the built-in CIFS support.

Your Windows 7 host should be visible in the Finder's left pane under 'Shared' title. If not - make sure that the virtualbox networking is configured correctly (it had been reported for SMB/CIFS not to work when the vbox network adapter is in the NAT mode - use bridge instead). Another way to connect to the windows host is to run the Finder and use "Connect to a server" menu command (Windows+K keyboard shortcut by default). You will have to enter the network path to the windows host in format:

cifs://[<username>@]<hostname>[/<Share name>]

User name and share name parts are optional. Also you would need to configure files and folders sharing of your Windows 7 host correctly and it might be required to turn off the Windows firewall.

Correct configuration of the Windows 7/Vista files and folder sharing is an offtipic for this thread. Google for it - procedure is just the same as configuring Windows 7 host to allow network access from Windows XP clients.

Other question...: When i restart or shut down macos VM i allways shut down or reset virtual machine manual, because i see the blue screen with black dot on it and nothing happen... Can i restart or shot down without terminated a machine?

I hadn't seen any Mac OS kernel that is able to restart/shutdown inside vbox guest without panic. Symptoms differ from version to version but the result remains generally the same: you will need to do vbox Reset/Close manually after issuing Restart/Shutdown command in Mac OS guest. For example, when I use 1.3.0 legacy_kernel for AMD/Intel kernel panic at restart/shutdown leads to a hang in the VirtualBOX guest process on the host. I had to kill the VirtualBOX guest process on my linux host each time I send Mac OS guest to Restart/Shutdown.

I hope that the things will get better over time as people at Corel (formerly Sun, formerly Innotek) are working hard to bring normal Mac OS guest support to the VirtualBOX (VMware Fusion had had it for a long time so it is required thing for vbox to support to sustain the concurrency).

I downloaded legacy_kernel-10.3.0.pkg, it went into my downloads folder and I installed it from there.....

Here is the contents of com.apple.boot.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hmm, your "com.apple.Boot.plist" looks too similar to the one shipped with the Empire EFI. First of all, I hope that the name of the file is "com.apple.Boot.plist", not the "com.apple.boot.plist" - case does matter. Secondly, are you absolutely sure that you had taken this file from the "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" folder instead of Empire EFI cd "/Extra" folder?

In any case you may try to change the file contents to look like this:

<plist   version="1.0">
     <dict>
     	<key>Kernel</key>
     	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
     	  </dict>
     </plist>

and copy/replace it to the "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" folder. Check if your system has got "/Extra" folder. If it has then check that inside "/Extra" folder there's no "com.apple.Boot.plist" file. In case you've got "/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist" you should rename it to something harmless (let's say "com.apple.Boot.plist.disabled") or delete it.

After proceeding with all above you may try to shutdown your VM, enable EFI in its preferences, remove Empire EFI CD image from the virtual DVD drive and give EFI bootup it a try. Hopefully your system will try boot using "legacy_kernel". Watch carefully, the name of the attempted kernel would be printed on one of the bootup screens.

QUOTE (shagal_84 @ May 31 2010, 11:22 PM) post_snapback.gifOther question...: When i restart or shut down macos VM i allways shut down or reset virtual machine manual, because i see the blue screen with black dot on it and nothing happen... Can i restart or shot down without terminated a machine?

i've the same issue... on 3 different Chipset (AMD cpus)

a double panic during ShutDown/Reboot (i'm using Snow1.6.2 Hazard)

do you mind sharing with us what you have done to make this happens?

What hardware & software you are using?

I just have chameleon bootloader, some extradata for graphics and SMC device and nullcpu kext. I haven't done anything just installed and it works. In my first installation it didn't work correctly but now it works.

do you mind sharing with us what you have done to make this happens?

What hardware & software you are using?

Shutdown works fine here with the method I described in detail previously as well, which was the XML mods, the built-in EFI of VB 3.2.0, and retail 10.6.0 DVD on an Intel Core2 Quad host.

Also, since the install I have updated to all current Apple updates including to SL 10.6.3 and it still works.

Neblogas, mrjazzguit, that's amazing and strange at the same time.

I had just created a new Mac OS installation inside vbox VM to do shutdown/restart tests and the kernel still panics (no matter I use vbox EFI or Chameleon bootloader). It might be that the type of the CPU makes a difference here.

Neblogas, mrjazzguit, that's amazing and strange at the same time.

I had just created a new Mac OS installation inside vbox VM to do shutdown/restart tests and the kernel still panics (no matter I use vbox EFI or Chameleon bootloader). It might be that the type of the CPU makes a difference here.

My SL disk is the retail "Family Pack" and was not packaged with a Mac. There is the suggestion that some SL DVDs distributed with Macs may actually check for a specific Mac model?

In any case I was just able to copy the working virtual disk from my Core2 desktop to an Intel Core i7 Q720 laptop. It booted and ran perfectly. It also can do shutdown without issue.

Hi there!

I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.9 on the following configuration:

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
  • Mainboard: ECS Elitegroup GF8100VM-M5
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8100
  • Host OS: Windows XP

I followed the instructions trying to install iDeneb (hmmm...I haven't got it handy right now, if I'm not mistaken it's the 1.5.7 release), but it doesn't seem to work...all I get is the grey apple background with the "Mac" equivalent of the Windows hourglass...and it gets stuck there...

Running the installation with the -v switch, I get the following screenshot: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7417/errorzn.png (courtesy of Zythyr)

Any idea on how can I get out of this quagmire?  :wacko:

Thanks!

Hi there!

I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.9 on the following configuration:

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
  • Mainboard: ECS Elitegroup GF8100VM-M5
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8100
  • Host OS: Windows XP

I followed the instructions trying to install iDeneb (hmmm...I haven't got it handy right now, if I'm not mistaken it's the 1.5.7 release), but it doesn't seem to work...all I get is the grey apple background with the "Mac" equivalent of the Windows hourglass...and it gets stuck there...

Running the installation with the -v switch, I get the following screenshot: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7417/errorzn.png (courtesy of Zythyr)

Any idea on how can I get out of this quagmire? :wacko:

Thanks!

You have mentioned that you have followed the instructions.... but actually what / whose instructions you are following? Are you following my guide? and at which stage you have encountered this problem?

I hope you understand that without the details, it is really hard to tell what is your problem?

At this stage, what only suggestions are:

- try to use v3.2.0

- try to set the CPU count in your VM to 1

Any idea on how can I get out of this quagmire? :D

Thanks!

I second the words takwing had said:

1) Upgrade your Virtual BOX to the 3.2.0 version.

2) Love vanilla, use vanilla, be vanilla: get the Mac OS X 10.6.x original install DVD (best bet would be to buy Upgrade DVD from Apple - it costs only about 50 USD in Moscow, should be even cheaper in EU/US) and use it for installation. Best bet would be to carefully follow the instructions in the takwing's guide.

3) Profit! (If not - post here the exact steps you took and the exact error messages you receive on your way following takwing's guide.)

P.S. As your CPU is AMD - you would need to change the Mac OS kernel to the patched one after the successful installation. You may get an idea how to do it throughly reading few last pages of this thread.

Does anybody know if this will work with Linux as a host?

I would like to run OSX under VirtualBox Linux

All the best

NSCXP2005

Yes, OS X runs beautifully under VirtualBox Linux. If you have VB v.3.2, takwing's guide is about the easiest method. It doesn't require patching VB.

For VB versions prior to VB v.3.2, this guide is about the best option. (NOTE: this guide also works for VB v.3.2, just make VM MacOSX/MacOSX64 instead of FreeBSD, and skip the patching and XML edit steps.) This guide is a bit more complicated, but the resulting install is somewhat more stable than from takwing's (because it uses Chameleon instead of VB's EFI emulation). VB versions prior to 3.2 must be patched in order to change the reported APCI version and enable SSSE3 instructions. The patches posted in that guide are only for VB 3.1.2 Windows, so since you are using Linux you would have to patch VB yourself using a hex editor. The changes are pretty simple.

In VBoxDD2.so, VBoxDD2GC.gc, and VBoxDD2R0.r0, replace all instances of:

11 00 05 00 --> 14 00 05 00

11 00 17 00 --> 14 00 17 00

And in VBoxVMM.so replace:

04 c5 01 00 00 00 31 c9 --> 04 c5 01 02 00   00 31 c9

An alternate way to patch VB versions prior to 3.2 is to compile the OSE source yourself and change a couple of sourcecode files:

VBox\Devices\PC\DevAPIC.cpp:
		Around   lines 885, 1712, 2201, and 3129. Change 0x11 -> 0x14

VBox\VMM\CPUM.cpp:
		Around   line 443 - uncomment to support SSSE3

NOTE: Networking does NOT work for OSX guests in Linux host in versions prior to VB v.3.2beta1 (strangely, networking will work for OSX guests in Windows host with VB v.3.1.2 or higher). In other words, you are much better off if you use the latest version of Virtual Box ;)

While you are using AMD CPU, have you tried to use the patched kernel as described by LeXa2?

i'm on 10.6.2 .. well.. i'm going to upgrade to 10.6.3 (i read on some Mac forums that 10.6.3 is a little slower than 10.6.2 )

[EDIT] panics seems to be disappered... it's possible that with PAE the system slowdown(a little)?

Yes, OS X runs beautifully under VirtualBox Linux. If you have VB v.3.2, takwing's guide is about the easiest method. It doesn't require patching VB.

For VB versions prior to VB v.3.2, this guide is about the best option. (NOTE: this guide also works for VB v.3.2, just make VM MacOSX/MacOSX64 instead of FreeBSD, and skip the patching and XML edit steps.) This guide is a bit more complicated, but the resulting install is somewhat more stable than from takwing's (because it uses Chameleon instead of VB's EFI emulation). VB versions prior to 3.2 must be patched in order to change the reported APCI version and enable SSSE3 instructions. The patches posted in that guide are only for VB 3.1.2 Windows, so since you are using Linux you would have to patch VB yourself using a hex editor. The changes are pretty simple.

Hi Paulscode,

thanks for summarizing how to patch the files for VB3.1.x.

Well, the guide that I have written for installing SL under VB3.1.x is actally what taranfx's guide has done. Chameleon's boot loader is used also. As mentioned before, I am not the one who find out the way to set SL under VB, I just summarized by experience and give more detailed instructions and screen dump. (In fact, when I followed taranfx's guide, I have encountered a few "issue" that I need to sort out.)

For VB3.2.x, I am documenting the VB's way to setup SL as I think this should be the direction in the long terms....

For VB's EFI, the only issue with me so far is that SL cannot be shutdown properly. (Well, frankly speaking, I haven't done some kind of stress test on my SL VM and am not using it for serious work.)

You have mentioned that you have followed the instructions.... but actually what / whose instructions you are following? Are you following my guide? and at which stage you have encountered this problem?

I hope you understand that without the details, it is really hard to tell what is your problem?

At this stage, what only suggestions are:

- try to use v3.2.0

- try to set the CPU count in your VM to 1

Thank you for your reply...I eventually managed to get the installation done: it had problems with the "Dynamically expanding storage" setting.

Specifying a "Fixed-size storage" for installation, the process went straight on.

That does not mean that my days of trouble are through... :(

After rebooting, a gray background with an apple logo is shown, and then it remains stuck there and nothing more gets done: the -v boot screen gives no further valuable information.

Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

In the meanwhile I will try to repeat the procedure using Virtualbox 3.2 (did you test the latest 3.2.2 release? is it ok for this purpose?) and iDeneb 1.6...

Thank you for your help

Best Regards

BG

Thank you for your reply...I eventually managed to get the installation done: it had problems with the "Dynamically expanding storage" setting.

Specifying a "Fixed-size storage" for installation, the process went straight on.

That does not mean that my days of trouble are through... :)

After rebooting, a gray background with an apple logo is shown, and then it remains stuck there and nothing more gets done: the -v boot screen gives no further valuable information.

Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

In the meanwhile I will try to repeat the procedure using Virtualbox 3.2 (did you test the latest 3.2.2 release? is it ok for this purpose?) and iDeneb 1.6...

This is the first time I heard people reporting problems with the "Dynamically expanding storage" setting when installing SL. Are you sure that your VM is using the ICH6 hard disk controller?

presuming the installation is fine (as you mentioned), are you able to boot up the VM by using the EmpireEFI iso image? and have you installed the kext files as described in my guide. (Sorry that at this stage, I am still not sure about what exactly is your procedure /settings used in doing your setup.)

For VB3.2.2, you are use it... it is just a maintenance release.

Before I could update to 3.2.2, 3.2.4 was released. I just updated to that, and now EFI booting doesn't work. It freezes after displaying "Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext" and followed by almost one full line of periods.

Turning off EFI and booting with EmpireEFI still works.

Before I could update to 3.2.2, 3.2.4 was released. I just updated to that, and now EFI booting doesn't work. It freezes after displaying "Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext" and followed by almost one full line of periods.

Turning off EFI and booting with EmpireEFI still works.

I have the same problem, my OSX 10.6.3 virtual machine that was properly working (no shutdown) on vitrualbox 3.2.0 is now freezing in boot sequence. the same VM works fine whith chamelion