GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

I'm gathering up everything I need from this thread for my new install lol I've read all 10 pages now. I think I have a handle on things.

One question I do have is, is it confirmed that the SL upgrade dvd will work for this? I read 2 different things but nothing confirmed one way or another.

Thanks!!

Hi there.

As I guided oconnel1 about SL upgrade DVD, I believe you should do the same.

Don't upgrade. A fresh install of Snow Leopard is so easy that it's not necessary to get an working Leo to upgrade. I wouldn't do that.

I believe the upgrade will work, but as I didn't use it, can't be 100% sure of how system will behave.

Installation process of 10.5.X versions was pretty much different from 10.6.X...

Cheers.

bb.

I finally got the DVD to boot and was able to install Snow Leopard.

There was a permissions issue that prevented the kexts from being loaded. That kept the NullCPU kext from loading right. Only thing is, I had to boot into safe mode. Both the DVD and the install won't load the kexts properly otherwise. In safe mode they load fine.

Anyone know of a reason why they wouldn't load normally? The error produced when they try to load is just that the Mach-O file in the kext was malformed.

Hi Tosk, let me ask you something... are you using original or downloaded Snow Leopard?

If you're using downloaded file, you may experiencing problems because of the speed you may burnt your file. Is always recommended that when you burn OS files into media, you use slowest speed to burn.

I believe that the hardest part in this process you've already made it, that was making ATI GFX works fine. ^_^

If you can post a pic of the error shown, I can talk to my guru to see if he have any ideas about what is happening to your install process.

EDIT -1

Are you trying to boot into 32 or 64 bit mode? Try booting into 32 bits first.

When bootloader shows up, use:

arch=i386 -v

See what happens and how system will behave.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi there. As I guided oconnel1 about SL upgrade DVD, I believe you should do the same. Don't upgrade. A fresh install of Snow Leopard is so easy that it's not necessary to get an working Leo to upgrade. I wouldn't do that. I believe the upgrade will work, but as I didn't use it, can't be 100% sure of how system will behave. Installation process of 10.5.X versions was pretty much different from 10.6.X... Cheers. bb.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't going to actually upgrade :( I was going to buy the $29 upgrade dvd. But, now I'm not sure if it will work or not. Some say yes and others say no.

There are 100 different versions out there to download and I don't want to blow 20 DL dvd's trying to burn lol

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't going to actually upgrade :P I was going to buy the $29 upgrade dvd. But, now I'm not sure if it will work or not. Some say yes and others say no.

There are 100 different versions out there to download and I don't want to blow 20 DL dvd's trying to burn lol

I downloaded from one site.

Looks for the latest version available. There's one called Golden, that is the latest version of SL.

Take a look at the site I suggested and see the number of seeders. When we have lots of seeders, the file is hot. :D

Cheers.

bb.

Hi Tosk, let me ask you something... are you using original or downloaded Snow Leopard?

If you're using downloaded file, you may experiencing problems because of the speed you may burnt your file. Is always recommended that when you burn OS files into media, you use slowest speed to burn.

I believe that the hardest part in this process you've already made it, that was making ATI GFX works fine. :unsure:

If you can post a pic of the error shown, I can talk to my guru to see if he have any ideas about what is happening to your install process.

EDIT -1

Are you trying to boot into 32 or 64 bit mode? Try booting into 32 bits first.

When bootloader shows up, use:

arch=i386 -v

See what happens and how system will behave.

Cheers.

bb.

I'm using a retail DVD purchased from Amazon that's been restored to a flash drive so I can fine-tune the install process easier.

Regarding your question about 32 or 64-bit, when I got that error, I tried in both 32 and 64-bit mode.

That being said, I was able to get the DVD to boot and the installer to appear. The issue with it not loading the kexts seemed to be because they were being loaded in /Extra/Extensions. I did some research through the forum and saw a few people mention that moving extensions to /System/Library/Extensions should get rid of that error and allow them to load normally.

Sure enough, doing that, the extensions loaded just fine and I was able to boot without using safe mode.

After a stable install in 64-bit mode, I applied what I learned from getting the DVD to work and was finally able to get Snow Leopard working in stable 64-bit. I haven't tried 32-bit yet as I made a mistake trying to get my video working completely and now I need to wipe and restart.

But yes! Finally at long last, I have a working Snow Leopard 64-bit install. Next the trick is getting the Radeon card to support full QE/CI/QGL/OpenCL. Does anyone know if netkas' PC EFI injector allows for this support?

I'm using a retail DVD purchased from Amazon that's been restored to a flash drive so I can fine-tune the install process easier.

Regarding your question about 32 or 64-bit, when I got that error, I tried in both 32 and 64-bit mode.

That being said, I was able to get the DVD to boot and the installer to appear. The issue with it not loading the kexts seemed to be because they were being loaded in /Extra/Extensions. I did some research through the forum and saw a few people mention that moving extensions to /System/Library/Extensions should get rid of that error and allow them to load normally.

Sure enough, doing that, the extensions loaded just fine and I was able to boot without using safe mode.

After a stable install in 64-bit mode, I applied what I learned from getting the DVD to work and was finally able to get Snow Leopard working in stable 64-bit. I haven't tried 32-bit yet as I made a mistake trying to get my video working completely and now I need to wipe and restart.

But yes! Finally at long last, I have a working Snow Leopard 64-bit install. Next the trick is getting the Radeon card to support full QE/CI/QGL/OpenCL. Does anyone know if netkas' PC EFI injector allows for this support?

Hi Tosk.

Unfortunatelly I can´t help you with the Radeon issue. As I don´t have the hardware, I can´t test anything for you. :unsure: All I can do by now, is to google for solution in my free time and post suggestions to you.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi Tosk.

Unfortunatelly I can´t help you with the Radeon issue. As I don´t have the hardware, I can´t test anything for you. :) All I can do by now, is to google for solution in my free time and post suggestions to you.

Cheers.

bb.

No worries. As soon as I have some free time (and the motivation) I'll see about how to get full support for my card. Once it's completely up and running, I might post about my setup and how I got it all to work so others with a similar setup won't have to go through too much of the same hassle that I did.

Added 4 more gigs and no problems.

Just solutions and a nice mac for half the price!!

Nice to hear that. :)

In fact increasing memory it's not a bigger problem for hacintosh. Used to be, but not anymore.

I really like my hacintosh for sure, but when you use a real mac, it's quite different. Snow Leopard in "original" mac hardware is from outter space. ;)

Save money and buy a real mac. That's what I'm going to do. ;)

Cheers.

bb.

Has anyone upgraded to 10.6.2 yet?

Yeah.

I´m running 10.6.2. ;)

post-223908-1258829262_thumb.png

It's pretty fine. No problems at all. System is running smooth.

The big deal when upgdating to 10.6.2 is to remember that you need to delete 2 files before updating.

Those files are:

- SleepEnabler.kext

- dsmos.kext.

If you forget to delete the files system won't boot. In case if you want to have SleepEnabler.kext into the /Extra/Extensions folder, google for the file provided by netkas for 10.6.2 version.

When I updated my system, the only issue that showed up was sound that I quickly fixed installing again the same kexts I have to enable sound for Realtek ALC888.

Hope have helped.

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I got everything running except sound. I've been trying everything I can figure out.

I'm almost ready to go back to 10.5.8

whaase, have you tried the 2 kexts I posted here for sound to work?

Take a look at pages 7, 8 or 9... don't remember for sure.

Install it with KextHelper b7 and see if you have sound working.

Here is working 100% including 5.1 channels. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

bb.

Yeah. I´m running 10.6.2. :blink:post-223908-1258829262_thumb.png It's pretty fine. No problems at all. System is running smooth. The big deal when upgdating to 10.6.2 is to remember that you need to delete 2 files before updating. Those files are: - SleepEnabler.kext - dsmos.kext. If you forget to delete the files system won't boot. In case if you want to have SleepEnabler.kext into the /Extra/Extensions folder, google for the file provided by netkas for 10.6.2 version. When I updated my system, the only issue that showed up was sound that I quickly fixed installing again the same kexts I have to enable sound for Realtek ALC888. Hope have helped. Cheers. bb. whaase, have you tried the 2 kexts I posted here for sound to work? Take a look at pages 7, 8 or 9... don't remember for sure. Install it with KextHelper b7 and see if you have sound working. Here is working 100% including 5.1 channels. :) Cheers. bb.

I will take a look. Will I need to use your Dsdt you posted aswell? We have pretty much the same system lol mobo, processor and ram are the same.

whaase, have you tried the 2 kexts I posted here for sound to work?

Take a look at pages 7, 8 or 9... don't remember for sure.

Install it with KextHelper b7 and see if you have sound working.

Here is working 100% including 5.1 channels. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Ok, I tried this.. Still doesn't work. B)

Ok, I tried this.. Still doesn't work. ;)

So, if the kexts didn't work, try using my DSDT.

It's worth to give it a try. You have nothing to loose. :)

Did you try any other methods to make sound work?

Because if I'm not wrong, when using the voodoohda.kext to enable sound in ALC888 you should delete some kexts to use with the voodoo one. When using the files I posted, you don't need to delete anything. Just install the 2 kexts with KextHelper b7 and reboot. That was how it worked for me. So if you have deleted any files, you should roll over all the files to default ones from Snow Leopard and try this 2.

Cheers.

bb.

Typing this from Snow Leopard. :)

I finally got everything 100% working right from install.

I bought a copy of Snow Leopard from Amazon and restored it to a USB drive. After installing Chameleon 2 RC2, I replaced the boot file with netkas' PC EFI 10.5. This booter enables GFX injection support for most newer ATI chipsets. The Extra folder was loaded with nothing but a modified com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist with my DSDT.aml (also copied to the root of the drive for good measure).

Instead of putting my kexts in /Extra/Extensions, I used OSx86 Tools to install them directly to the USB drive's /System/Library/Extensions folder (since I had trouble loading them from /Extra/Extensions).

Once that was done, I rebooted to the USB drive and passed -f -v as boot arguments (-f so it would ignore the kext caches and -v so I could watch for errors). It booted no problem, so I went ahead and installed the system. When that was done, it rebooted automatically.

Before jumping into my new system, I loaded Leopard back up, copied my kexts to the /S/L/E folder of my Snow Leopard partition and reboot again. When booting into the new system, same as with the USB drive, I passed -f -v as boot arguments.

It booted right up and I got the little "welcome" video with sound. After doing the registration steps, it landed me at a working 64-bit desktop, with full sound, ethernet, and hardware-accelerated OpenCL graphics.

Right away, I updated to 10.6.2. No trouble there either. But before I rebooted, I made sure to reinstall my ATA kext and my sound kext.

For reference, I'm only using 5 kexts:

• JMicronATA.kext (modified to allow use of the JMicron ATA chipset on this board)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (fixes the HPET issue with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (allows for proper shutdown/reboot)
  • EVOenabler.kext (enables full hardware acceleration on my Radeon HD 4870 1GB)
  • LegacyHDA.kext (enables my ALC888 with my modified DSDT)

I would recommend updating the boot ISO in this thread to include netkas' PC EFI 10.5 booter and make sure that GraphicsEnabler=y is set in the com.apple.boot.plist. This should enable support for newer ATI chipets and fix the "hanging" issue a lot of people were having when using those cards.

Attached are a few screenshots for anyone curious, as well as a ZIP of the specific kexts I used, and also a copy of my com.apple.boot.plist file.

EP45UD3L_Kexts.zip

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

post-372756-1258933846_thumb.jpg

post-372756-1258933865_thumb.jpg

post-372756-1258933880_thumb.jpg

post-372756-1258933896_thumb.jpg

post-372756-1258933917_thumb.jpg

post-372756-1258933949_thumb.jpg

Typing this from Snow Leopard. :)

I finally got everything 100% working right from install.

I bought a copy of Snow Leopard from Amazon and restored it to a USB drive. After installing Chameleon 2 RC2, I replaced the boot file with netkas' PC EFI 10.5. This booter enables GFX injection support for most newer ATI chipsets. The Extra folder was loaded with nothing but a modified com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist with my DSDT.aml (also copied to the root of the drive for good measure).

Instead of putting my kexts in /Extra/Extensions, I used OSx86 Tools to install them directly to the USB drive's /System/Library/Extensions folder (since I had trouble loading them from /Extra/Extensions).

Once that was done, I rebooted to the USB drive and passed -f -v as boot arguments (-f so it would ignore the kext caches and -v so I could watch for errors). It booted no problem, so I went ahead and installed the system. When that was done, it rebooted automatically.

Before jumping into my new system, I loaded Leopard back up, copied my kexts to the /S/L/E folder of my Snow Leopard partition and reboot again. When booting into the new system, same as with the USB drive, I passed -f -v as boot arguments.

It booted right up and I got the little "welcome" video with sound. After doing the registration steps, it landed me at a working 64-bit desktop, with full sound, ethernet, and hardware-accelerated OpenCL graphics.

Right away, I updated to 10.6.2. No trouble there either. But before I rebooted, I made sure to reinstall my ATA kext and my sound kext.

For reference, I'm only using 5 kexts:

• JMicronATA.kext (modified to allow use of the JMicron ATA chipset on this board)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (fixes the HPET issue with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (allows for proper shutdown/reboot)
  • EVOenabler.kext (enables full hardware acceleration on my Radeon HD 4870 1GB)
  • LegacyHDA.kext (enables my ALC888 with my modified DSDT)

I would recommend updating the boot ISO in this thread to include netkas' PC EFI 10.5 booter and make sure that GraphicsEnabler=y is set in the com.apple.boot.plist. This should enable support for newer ATI chipets and fix the "hanging" issue a lot of people were having when using those cards.

Attached are a few screenshots for anyone curious, as well as a ZIP of the specific kexts I used, and also a copy of my com.apple.boot.plist file.

HI Tosk.

Nice to read that your install is working pretty fine and you´re happy with it...

Have you already check for sure if you´re booting your system into 64 bit mode too ? If not, go About This Mac > More Info > Software and check if 64 bit Kernel option show the word YES. :)

Cheers.

bb

HI Tosk.

Nice to read that your install is working pretty fine and you´re happy with it...

Have you already check for sure if you´re booting your system into 64 bit mode too ? If not, go About This Mac > More Info > Software and check if 64 bit Kernel option show the word YES. :)

Cheers.

bb

Yep. Running with the 64-bit kernel and extensions.

Screenie attached.

post-372756-1258946037_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I just backed off the 11/2009 EP45-UD3P BIOS for rev. 1.6 motherboards, and went back to the 5/2009 version. I'm running retail SL, with Chameleon, and when I upgraded to the new BIOS version, I had SMBIOS problems, and had the issue where the desktop crashes when system profiler is launched.

System:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Core2 Quad Q9550

8 GB Patriot PC8500

Yep. Running with the 64-bit kernel and extensions.

Screenie attached.

Yeah. Really nice. ^_^

Now, enjoy the most wonderful OS in the world. My opinion. ;)

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - Just to be sure, have you checked if your ethernet is working. I see that it's showing cable unplugged, but check it just to be OK. :)

FWIW, I just backed off the 11/2009 EP45-UD3P BIOS for rev. 1.6 motherboards, and went back to the 5/2009 version. I'm running retail SL, with Chameleon, and when I upgraded to the new BIOS version, I had SMBIOS problems, and had the issue where the desktop crashes when system profiler is launched.

System:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Core2 Quad Q9550

8 GB Patriot PC8500

One question...

After updating your BIOS, have you configured it how it should be to work with OS X? Generally when the BIOS is updated it's easier to get it to work with the OS.

All I can say by know is that. But if you can run SL with the oldest version of your BIOS, why upgrading?

Cheers.

bb.

Just a question,

is it possible for someone from here to get in my system (teamviewer/ichat/vnc) and generate a PROPER dsdt.aml cause i've got the software but i can't figure out all the lines to copy/paste and the proper sequence for all apps..

i've got a working system all is ok, i just need to fix the sleep and see the whole "proper" procedure, maybe even screencapture it for later use..

You know it's very hard for me that i've got some knowledge on all osx stuff, and not being able to build my own dsdt.aml.. i'm embarrassed but, i had to ask..

i was just wondering if anyone had gotten the g510 rev c working yet ?

Well, I don't know.

I just had one D-Link card in the very begin and I discarded it so quickly because I bought one Apple Ethernet to USB Adapter and never had any problem with it since version 10.5.3... ;)

I don't like using the wireless connection. And my computer stays just beside my modem, so don't need wifi connection.

Have you already checked D-Links website to see if they have Mac drivers?

For some products they have original drivers for macintosh.

Cheers.

bb.

Just a question,

is it possible for someone from here to get in my system (teamviewer/ichat/vnc) and generate a PROPER dsdt.aml cause i've got the software but i can't figure out all the lines to copy/paste and the proper sequence for all apps..

i've got a working system all is ok, i just need to fix the sleep and see the whole "proper" procedure, maybe even screencapture it for later use..

You know it's very hard for me that i've got some knowledge on all osx stuff, and not being able to build my own dsdt.aml.. i'm embarrassed but, i had to ask..

What in fact do you need mate?

What is the problem you facing?

I don't use iChat... there's any other way to do what you want to do?

Cheers.

bb.

What in fact do you need mate?

What is the problem you facing?

I don't use iChat... there's any other way to do what you want to do?

Cheers.

bb.

I'd like to know the way to make the damn dsdt.aml my self i've tried 4-5 times and i get errors and stuff.. arg# now i use a pre-made from a german/french user with similar system..

so maybe using skype and remotely with other software like osx-screen-sharing or teamviewer or vnc to give you access and you fix!

Anyways thanx for the reply i appreciate it!

Thanx for the tutorial.

But for 5 days now I have been trying to install max osx v10.6 retail on my new computer with no luck.

I have tried billions of ways to do it, boot cd's, usb methods and taking my new harddisks computer and connect it to my Imac with usb chase. No luck

Now I am doing you boot cd version and when I take out and put the Snow leopard disk in, press f5 and select the install disk, a new gray screen appears, apple logo and the endles turning wheel. nothing more. I have been able to go that far with most of my other various attempts.

CAN ANYBODY -please- HELP ME?

My computer:

MOBO: GA-EX58-UD3R

Video: Sapphire HD4870 PCI-E2.0 1GB

I also have HighPoint RocketRaid 1520 sata2 connected to 2 sata disks (is that maybe interfering with my install?)

Best regards

Stefán Drengsson

Iceland.