GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

Ok, So I have been trying to do this on my computer an following everyone's instructions although I am hitting a snag with the SL boot CD.

I get this.

post-241558-1262541913_thumb.jpg

Either I am missing something really simple, or have a major problem... :D

I'm using Tosk's Modified EP45-UD3L Boot CD 3.1 (from post #231) with a formatted Mac OS X (Journaled) partition nothing installed to it... I have tried with and without AHCI and IDE Controller Enabled/Disabled...

GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3L

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.13Ghz (OC'd x9 2.4Ghz)

Sapphire Radeon HD4870 PCIe 2.0 1GB GDDR5

3 SATA, 1 IDE HD (SATA's are for OS, IDE is Storage)

DVD Writer on IDE

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alex

Hi there.

Well, I'm not sure about why are you having trouble, but I'd give a shot at your GFX Card.

It's known that Radeon HD XXXX is a little problematic when installing Snow Leopard.

I believe there's a fix already mentioned in this thread. Just don't remember in what post it is.

I don't know if you already tried the BootDVD that was created by verdant and posted here in earlier messages. That was the one that did the trick so I could install SL into my rig.

You can also check in your BIOS setup, if everything's exactly like said in first post. Sometimes a little misconfigured item can result in a lot of trouble.

When installing the system, always use flags -v -f arch=i386 just later try to boot into 64-bit mode.

Another thing that I'm asking myself is... you're unable to install the system or you installed it correctly but it's not able to boot into it?

Another point, but that's not related to your problem...

If you're using a Intel C2Q Q6600, your stock speed should be 2.4 GHz and I see in your sig that you OCd it to reach this value... it's something wrong or you made a mistake there? :P

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I am now getting the

post-241558-1262918973_thumb.jpg

I know @Tosk got his to work, how I don't understand... :(

I have tried from CD, USB Flash Drive, restoring to internal HD...

@breakingbad: My C2Q 6600 is 2.4Ghz by x9 Multiplier, and I make sure to match my BIOS settings to the first post and always use (-v) or (-v -f -x86) or (-v -f arch=i386)

P.S. My first problem was because it was on a CD-R not DVD-R :)

Well, I am now getting the

post-241558-1262918973_thumb.jpg

I know @Tosk got his to work, how I don't understand... :)

I have tried from CD, USB Flash Drive, restoring to internal HD...

@breakingbad: My C2Q 6600 is 2.4Ghz by x9 Multiplier, and I make sure to match my BIOS settings to the first post and always use (-v) or (-v -f -x86) or (-v -f arch=i386)

P.S. My first problem was because it was on a CD-R not DVD-R :)

Another point that matters... your HDD partition is formatted as MBR or GPT?

Seems that GPT is more friendly to this method of installation of OSX.

Well, this error that is shown in your screen, used to be shown in mine but after a lot of this error messages, I could install it w/o problems. Have you tried to let it load till the end?

I still believe that your GFX card can be a problem. If possible, try using a nVidia GFX card to see if installation goes smooth....

You can try googling for Netkas. Looks like he have a solution for those who are using Radeon GFX cards. :)

Cheers.

bb.

So, I'm typing this from SL! :huh:

The only thing I don't have working is sound, and I'm using @Tosk's kext package but I don't know which code to put into my DSDT (I already did the CMOS fix...)

I have an AZAL(Azalia) section and no HDEF section in my DSDT by the way...

Thank You Guys for all your help! :)

So, I'm typing this from SL! :D

The only thing I don't have working is sound, and I'm using @Tosk's kext package but I don't know which code to put into my DSDT (I already did the CMOS fix...)

I have an AZAL(Azalia) section and no HDEF section in my DSDT by the way...

Thank You Guys for all your help! :D

Glad to see that you're running SL.

Cheers to that. :P

About the AZALIA audio, I believe I'm not that able to help you because my board uses ALC888 codec. But if I'm not wrong, there's something about AZAL in the BIOS settings because my old nForce mobo had Azalia Compatible Audio and I remember seeing something in BIOS.

Cheers.

bb.

I turn the Azalia to Auto or something else.

I do have a GA-EP45-UD3L with ALC888 5.1 + Digital Out/Line In

Would I turn the Azalia off and use like VoodooHDA x64?

I turn the Azalia to Auto or something else.

I do have a GA-EP45-UD3L with ALC888 5.1 + Digital Out/Line In

Would I turn the Azalia off and use like VoodooHDA x64?

Well, in this case you can try the same method as I did.

I have same audio and it works without the VoodooHDA method. I used it once but don't like it because it works with its own preference painel and I didn't like it at all. I used another 2 simple kext that can be installed via KextHelper b7 and uses original pref panes.

Try this here

Let me know what happens.

Cheers.

bb.

Well, in this case you can try the same method as I did.

I have same audio and it works without the VoodooHDA method. I used it once but don't like it because it works with its own preference painel and I didn't like it at all. I used another 2 simple kext that can be installed via KextHelper b7 and uses original pref panes.

Try this here

Let me know what happens.

Cheers.

bb.

:hysterical: That worked great!

I did notice although that all of my HD's show the external HD icon not the internal icon? Is there fix for this (I have my Mobo on AHCI)

I probably will make a nice guide with everything plus installer type stuff.

:D That worked great!

I did notice although that all of my HD's show the external HD icon not the internal icon? Is there fix for this (I have my Mobo on AHCI)

I probably will make a nice guide with everything plus installer type stuff.

Never looked for any solution on icon issues.

You may browse a little here in IM that you may find something. There's no place better than here to look for OS X answers. :)

I'm glad that the solution I pointed you about ALC888 worked fine.

Now if you don't know, I can tell you how to configure a 5.1 system. I can tell you in advance, that without using "external" methods, 5.1 only works if the sound - video source is coded to 5.1. Most of the MP3 files aren't, so you can't hear those files in 5.1 channels like in Windows. :(

But, in the other hand, there's a thread that MacGirl created teaching how to get all the 5.1 channels working same time. Take a look at here thread. It's a little bit complicated but if you really want to do it, check it out.

Cheers.

bb.

Does anyone have a problem with Bonjour?

I have the RTL8111C and Bonjour on startup doesn't work right away until I unload/load it in terminal.

And I can't setup the iTunes Remote or Billings Touch on my 3GS and Hackintosh??

Does anyone have a problem with Bonjour?

I have the RTL8111C and Bonjour on startup doesn't work right away until I unload/load it in terminal.

And I can't setup the iTunes Remote or Billings Touch on my 3GS and Hackintosh??

Hi Axel.

About the iPhone issue, really doesn't have a clue about it. I don't have one iPhone and I don't buy music via iTunes Store. :D

About Bonjour, need to check if it's working. In fact, when I start my system I get no error about Bonjour or any other thing.

ASAP I check this Bonjour stuff, I'll post it here to inform you. :unsure:

Cheers.

bb.

Hi Axel.

About the iPhone issue, really doesn't have a clue about it. I don't have one iPhone and I don't buy music via iTunes Store. :D

About Bonjour, need to check if it's working. In fact, when I start my system I get no error about Bonjour or any other thing.

ASAP I check this Bonjour stuff, I'll post it here to inform you. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Do you know of a RTL8111C kext driver?? Not just the 8169 kext in the IONetWorkingFamily.kext

Hi,

I just built a PC from my spare parts and I follow the guide here but I couldn't get the CD or DVD to boot. This is the error I got:

img0598h.jpg

I read through the entire thread and tried every possible ways but still no luck. ;) Here's the specs of my rig:

E7400

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

2x1GB Corsair DDR2

Seagate 500GB HD

SATA DVD Burner

XFX 8800GT 512MB

Anybody have suggestions?

Do you know of a RTL8111C kext driver?? Not just the 8169 kext in the IONetWorkingFamily.kext

In fact, I had to do nothing to get my RTL8111C to work. Just plugged the cable into it and that's it. Done. No config or extra kexts needed. Maybe you need to do some changes to your DSDT. Sometimes it's all about DSDT modding.

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - Can post my DSDT for you to try with your system.

Hi,

I just built a PC from my spare parts and I follow the guide here but I couldn't get the CD or DVD to boot. This is the error I got:

img0598h.jpg

I read through the entire thread and tried every possible ways but still no luck. :P Here's the specs of my rig:

E7400

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

2x1GB Corsair DDR2

Seagate 500GB HD

SATA DVD Burner

XFX 8800GT 512MB

Anybody have suggestions?

What's the connection interface of your HD? Sata or IDE?

Have you checked all the BIOS settings to see if they're exactly as asked in first post?

In the screen you posted, seems like your AHCI is not setted right and it's having problem to start it.

Check this option.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi breakingbad,

Thanks for the reply. My HD interface is SATA and as I mention above, I did go through everything that posted in this thread including the BIOS setting on the first page since I know it's important and if I don't set to AHCI then I won't be able to use Mac OS. And you're right, it seems I have problem with AHCI since it didn't even go to the boot process, just stuck at that screen there. When I put the SATA cable for my DVD burner on the 1st SATA port of my motherboard, it recognizes as port 00 but when I swap with the SATA cable for my HD then it won't show up anything as you can see my screenshot. So my thought is that I might have a faulty HD or it just doesn't see the HD for some reasons. But it's weird since the BIOS can recognize both my DVD and HD. This is just confusing, I might swap it with a another HD and see what's going on but I really need suggestions of what to do here.

Hi breakingbad,

Thanks for the reply. My HD interface is SATA and as I mention above, I did go through everything that posted in this thread including the BIOS setting on the first page since I know it's important and if I don't set to AHCI then I won't be able to use Mac OS. And you're right, it seems I have problem with AHCI since it didn't even go to the boot process, just stuck at that screen there. When I put the SATA cable for my DVD burner on the 1st SATA port of my motherboard, it recognizes as port 00 but when I swap with the SATA cable for my HD then it won't show up anything as you can see my screenshot. So my thought is that I might have a faulty HD or it just doesn't see the HD for some reasons. But it's weird since the BIOS can recognize both my DVD and HD. This is just confusing, I might swap it with a another HD and see what's going on but I really need suggestions of what to do here.

Well, here in my BIOS I have in Integrated Peripherals under SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode set do Disabled and everything loads fine.

To check if you have a faulty DVD or HDD, you should connect each one separetely and try to boot to see what you get.

You can even try to plug DVD into the first SATA port and HDD to another one.

Is SL already installed to your HDD or are you still trying to install it? That's important too... ;)

Another point... what is your BIOS version? Are you using version F7 from Gigabyte?

Cheers.

bb.

Well, here in my BIOS I have in Integrated Peripherals under SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode set do Disabled and everything loads fine.

To check if you have a faulty DVD or HDD, you should connect each one separetely and try to boot to see what you get.

You can even try to plug DVD into the first SATA port and HDD to another one.

Is SL already installed to your HDD or are you still trying to install it? That's important too... :2cents:

Another point... what is your BIOS version? Are you using version F7 from Gigabyte?

Cheers.

bb.

That's what I did, I mean I did plug the SATA cable for the DVD to the 1st SATA port and it does recognize right after that Controller Bus #00......as port 00 - "The name of my DVD burner" but if I plug the SATA cable of the HD to the 1st port then it doesn't recognize so I assume there's something wrong with my HD.

By the way I started from scratch so I don't have anything in my HD yet. And I use F7 BIOS.

Turn out my HD {censored} out since I swap it with another and can boot perfectly but now I'm stuck at the gray screen and it won't load Snow Leopard.

Well, after the installation process, did you copied the boot file and the Extra/Extensions folder to the root of your system install? Did you installed the Chameleon 2 RC3 to the system? It's necessary to do it so you can boot without the CD/DVD.

Cheers.

bb.

Well, after the installation process, did you copied the boot file and the Extra/Extensions folder to the root of your system install? Did you installed the Chameleon 2 RC3 to the system? It's necessary to do it so you can boot without the CD/DVD.

Cheers.

bb.

I tried both the CD and DVD boot but couldn't get it working as I got the eBIOS error, so now I'm using the USB method and use it as a Snow Leopard boot disk. I did copy the Extra folder along with Chameleon 2 RC2 into the thumb drive. These are the errors:

Error: Uncompressed file is not the length recorded.

Error: couldn't uncompress plist file from multikext archive entry 0.

I tried both the CD and DVD boot but couldn't get it working as I got the eBIOS error, so now I'm using the USB method and use it as a Snow Leopard boot disk. I did copy the Extra folder along with Chameleon 2 RC2 into the thumb drive. These are the errors:

Error: Uncompressed file is not the length recorded.

Error: couldn't uncompress plist file from multikext archive entry 0.

Huum... did you created the whole process of restoring the Snow Leopard to the flash drive?

The eBIOS error happens when you record a boot DVD into a CD media, but in most cases after all the errors, it starts loading the system disk normally. I installed my system this way. :)

Are you using the Boot disk provided by Gurujee or the one provided by verdant? I would use the verdant's one. Many people complained about the Gurujee file unfortunatelly.

You can find the boot DVD provided by verdant in the forum. Don't remember which page. Just take a look around page between 8 and 12... don't know for sure...

I'll check and post it right here.

EDIT - Boot DVD disk

Download this file here

- Record it into a DVD or DVD-RW disk as slow as you can;

- Boot with this disk. When it starts, eject the media, insert SL install disk and press F5. Instructions are already on screen;

- Boot using flags -v -f arch=i386

EDIT 2 - Bootloader

Sorry, forgot to mention. Don't use Chameleon 2 RC2. Use Chameleon 2 RC3 with PC_EFI 10.5 version that you can find googling for netkas site.

Cheers.

bb.

Huum... did you created the whole process of restoring the Snow Leopard to the flash drive?

The eBIOS error happens when you record a boot DVD into a CD media, but in most cases after all the errors, it starts loading the system disk normally. I installed my system this way. :)

Are you using the Boot disk provided by Gurujee or the one provided by verdant? I would use the verdant's one. Many people complained about the Gurujee file unfortunatelly.

You can find the boot DVD provided by verdant in the forum. Don't remember which page. Just take a look around page between 8 and 12... don't know for sure...

I'll check and post it right here.

EDIT - Boot DVD disk

Download this file here

- Record it into a DVD or DVD-RW disk as slow as you can;

- Boot with this disk. When it starts, eject the media, insert SL install disk and press F5. Instructions are already on screen;

- Boot using flags -v -f arch=i386

EDIT 2 - Bootloader

Sorry, forgot to mention. Don't use Chameleon 2 RC2. Use Chameleon 2 RC3 with PC_EFI 10.5 version that you can find googling for netkas site.

Cheers.

bb.

Thank you so much breakingbad, I'm writing this on my new Hackintosh now :) (happy dancing). So after I install Chameleon bootloader, I no longer need the boot DVD but I still have to type -v -f arch=i386 in order for it to boot into Mac OS? Is there a way that I can boot it straight from my HD without entering any command line?

I somehow manage to get it working with my native resolution by editing the .com.Apple.boot.plist file so I think I'm good with that for now. I still can't get the sound working though but after browsing through the thread again, I saw you posted a solution without using the Voodoo one so I might give it a try and report back. I also downloaded the 10.6.2 update and I guess I'll be fine if I just delete 2 files like you said and replace with the SleepEnabler from netkas?

I have another question, is it just me or when I use Snow Leopard it's kinda...not really sluggish performance but I still feel like it's not as smooth as...let's say Windows or compare to when I use my Macbook. Are my E7400 and 2GB RAM enough to handle or I would benefit more if I upgrade to a Quad with 4GB RAM?

Regards!

Thank you so much breakingbad, I'm writing this on my new Hackintosh now :) (happy dancing). So after I install Chameleon bootloader, I no longer need the boot DVD but I still have to type -v -f arch=i386 in order for it to boot into Mac OS? Is there a way that I can boot it straight from my HD without entering any command line?

I somehow manage to get it working with my native resolution by editing the .com.Apple.boot.plist file so I think I'm good with that for now. I still can't get the sound working though but after browsing through the thread again, I saw you posted a solution without using the Voodoo one so I might give it a try and report back. I also downloaded the 10.6.2 update and I guess I'll be fine if I just delete 2 files like you said and replace with the SleepEnabler from netkas?

I have another question, is it just me or when I use Snow Leopard it's kinda...not really sluggish performance but I still feel like it's not as smooth as...let's say Windows or compare to when I use my Macbook. Are my E7400 and 2GB RAM enough to handle or I would benefit more if I upgrade to a Quad with 4GB RAM?

Regards!

After installing the Chameleon Bootloader to the HDD where you installed system you won't need the Boot CD anymore.

Be sure to place the boot file into the root. As it's a hidden file, you can fire up Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

After that, open Finder and look for the boot file in root. If it's present, you won't need the cd anymore. You can boot directly from your HDD.

To hide files again type in Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Remember that you need to have Extra/Extensions folder in the root too and all the files that is mentioned in first post.

About the performance, I don't really now if you're facing problems.

I'll try to start my system here with 2 cores and 2 Gb of RAM and see if system behaves different. I believe it won't slow down performance.

I'm happy you're able to use your hackintosh.

EDIT - Performance Issue

Hi mate. As mentioned above, started my system using 2 cores of my CPU and 2 GB RAM and performance was quite the same as using full capacity. My suggestion is do all the updates needed and them check performance to see if it's really slow.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi breakingbad,

Thank you again for the detail instruction. Regarding the boot thing, I installed Chameleon to my HD and I no longer need the boot DVD but when I fire it up then it will stop at the HD icon where my Leopard partition is at then I have to press and down arrow button or enter the flag command line in order to boot into the OS. I'm wondering is there a way that I can let the HD boot directly to the OS X without entering the command line arch=i386? I'm sorry if it confuses you but I hope you get what I mean now.

About the performance, maybe I just need to get used to it, it's my first time using a hackintosh after all. :P

Hi breakingbad,

Thank you again for the detail instruction. Regarding the boot thing, I installed Chameleon to my HD and I no longer need the boot DVD but when I fire it up then it will stop at the HD icon where my Leopard partition is at then I have to press and down arrow button or enter the flag command line in order to boot into the OS. I'm wondering is there a way that I can let the HD boot directly to the OS X without entering the command line arch=i386? I'm sorry if it confuses you but I hope you get what I mean now.

About the performance, maybe I just need to get used to it, it's my first time using a hackintosh after all. :D

Hi mate.

What you can do is to set the time of booting into HD where SL is installed, to less than 15 seconds. You can set it to 1 second so it will start faster.

About the flag arch=i386 you can add it to smbios.plist or com.apple.boot.plist. I just need to remember where exactly. :P

Adding this flag will start your system always in 32 bit mode. Have you tried booting without any kinda flag? Just hitting enter when bootloader is up? If you haven't, you should give it a try.

I'm a little bit scared about this issue on performance. SL is so fast that a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram shouldn't slow it down. It's strange. And it get's stranger when you compared it to Windows. LOL ! :)

EDIT - com.apple.boot.plist

Hi Travis. You can add the flag into your com.apple.boot.plist, under

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

You can set the time to boot into SL HD faster under this in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Timeout</key>
<string></string>

Between the string, you choose the numer, that is in seconds, to boot into the SL HDD.

Cheers.

bb.