GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

the mainboard does yes GA-EP45-UD3P

Hi mate.

I don't know how OS X deals with 2 ethernets. I suggest you to see if there's an option to work with only one ethernet and see what happens. Here in my case I work with 2 internet connections but different interfaces: one USB and other Ethernet.

Anyway, I'll do one research on this to see what can be done about it.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi everyone!

I'm a totally newbie here, so, my apologises if I made any stupid question.

I've got a UD3LR mobo, and when I try to load the leopard Install cd with de bootDVD posted in this thread, it seems to load the install DVD correctly, but then I can't do anything...

I can se the mouse pointer (and move it), and the color wheel, but I have been waiting for about 15 minutes and it doesn't loads even the installation program wallpaper... I just can move the mouse on an grey wallpaper... The install GUI never starts...

What I am doing bad?

Sorry about my poor english, thnx!

Edit: When I boot with the bootcd used by the author of the trhead (not the 132DVD) it works perfectly, but in this way I haven't got the correct DSDT file for my mobo....

Are you trying to install Leopard or Snow Leopard? This thread is about installing Snow Leopard - OS X version 10.6.

Maybe you're facing problems because Leopard has a different way of installing it.

Check it.

Cheers.

bb.

Hi mate.

I don't know how OS X deals with 2 ethernets. I suggest you to see if there's an option to work with only one ethernet and see what happens. Here in my case I work with 2 internet connections but different interfaces: one USB and other Ethernet.

Anyway, I'll do one research on this to see what can be done about it.

Cheers.

bb.

Are you trying to install Leopard or Snow Leopard? This thread is about installing Snow Leopard - OS X version 10.6.

Maybe you're facing problems because Leopard has a different way of installing it.

Check it.

Cheers.

bb.

Well lifehacker posted a guide to installing SL on this board but even that gives me the same dead end results :o

Lifehacker blog post

I'm trying to get SL on this board.

Well lifehacker posted a guide to installing SL on this board but even that gives me the same dead end results :o

Lifehacker blog post

I'm trying to get SL on this board.

Do you have checked your BIOS settings to see if matches the config need to boot snow leopard right? Sometimes a little missed configuration in BIOS settings can be a no go on installating OS X. Take a very accurate look at Lifehacker BIOS gallery for the configuration. Looks like he suggests exactly what I suggested you on disabling ethernet for install.

Cheers.

bb.

Check it.

Cheers.

bb.

Oh, sorry about that, yes, I was trying with Snow Leopard :(

I finally managed to install SL with the bootcd posted in the first post of the thread, and everything seems to work nice, except the audio.

I'm trying to install the 64bits hda audio kext, with osx86 tools and either kexthelper, but don't know why I can't install any kext... Should I install something else before installing the kexts?

After the setup of the SL y have put de DSDT file from 132boot DVD (the one that was not working for mi on the setup) on the extra folder and it works fine on the UD3LR, except the audio and the sleep mode.

Thank you!

Oh, sorry about that, yes, I was trying with Snow Leopard :P

I finally managed to install SL with the bootcd posted in the first post of the thread, and everything seems to work nice, except the audio.

I'm trying to install the 64bits hda audio kext, with osx86 tools and either kexthelper, but don't know why I can't install any kext... Should I install something else before installing the kexts?

After the setup of the SL y have put de DSDT file from 132boot DVD (the one that was not working for mi on the setup) on the extra folder and it works fine on the UD3LR, except the audio and the sleep mode.

Thank you!

Hi norickabe.

You can try this for the sound. Of course your sound should be Realtek ALC888 8 ports.

Try this

Use this with KextHelper b7.

Let me know if you get sound.

Cheers.

bb.

i've double checked the bios settings and have tried both off, both on and one and one, on the ethernet ports. the only thing that differs is the 9x CPU Clock Ratio and thats only because my CPU is not 3 ghz (I think) it's locked at 8 max

Still no go with both ethernets disabled?

Let me ask you something... your motherboard is Asus P5K Deluxe? Your sig says it is. If yes, I believe we won't be able to help you much here since you use one mobo with different chipset. Your mobo is Intel P35 & ICH9R. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Hi norickabe.

You can try this for the sound. Of course your sound should be Realtek ALC888 8 ports.

Try this

Cheers.

bb.

Still no go with both ethernets disabled?

Let me ask you something... your motherboard is Asus P5K Deluxe? Your sig says it is. If yes, I believe we won't be able to help you much here since you use one mobo with different chipset. Your mobo is Intel P35 & ICH9R. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

bb.

lol. no that is an old setup which i still have. This attempt is an entirely new build, GA board... I've tried all kinds of combinations with the ethernet ports all to no avail. its clearly something else. as i said before my problem sounds alot like that post I refrenced earlier but I can't see how that could help me as it is for an older leopard install method and i can't quite make sense of it.

Finally I got some results with audio. Installed 64-bit version of VoodooHDA and got sound. Selected "Unknown" for output device. Can't really judge quality but meh its working at least.

Got VoodooHDA 64-bit from here

Edit: Original AppleHDA.kext needs to be removed from /S/L/E

I would like to confirm that I too can get the audio to work on my ga ep34-ud3l using the voodoohda 64 bit version. Thank you for you post and getting it to work!

At least itunes will now play!

-kent

I would like to confirm that I too can get the audio to work on my ga ep34-ud3l using the voodoohda 64 bit version. Thank you for you post and getting it to work!

At least itunes will now play!

-kent

so input/output works ok? are there any quality issues?

thanx :D

Anyone figure out how to get an IDE DVD burner to work with Snow Leopard? The BIOS definitely sees it, but it's invisible to SL. Is it really just a problem caused by 64 bit mode?

Hi John.

I had same problem of yours. In 64 bit mode my IDE DVD drive is not see by the system but BIOS can see it.

Solved my problem making a fresh install of Snow Leopard and add one special kext from netkas.

Try with this kext.

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Let me know what happens.

Cheers.

bb.

lol. no that is an old setup which i still have. This attempt is an entirely new build, GA board... I've tried all kinds of combinations with the ethernet ports all to no avail. its clearly something else. as i said before my problem sounds alot like that post I refrenced earlier but I can't see how that could help me as it is for an older leopard install method and i can't quite make sense of it.

Well, I read the post you sent that seems to be same problem as yours.

There the solutions was provided after the installation of Snow Leopard. So I believe it won't fit your case because as you say, you can't even start the installation method, right?

Do you formatted your HDD as GPT/HFS+ as recomended?

I talked to a friend of mine that is a genius here in OS X and take a look in what he said to me in PM:

If the Ethernet/LAN kext driving the onboard LAN chipset is capable of recognising each Ethernet port as having a different MAC address AFAIK it should not be a problem......but initially have one LAN port disabled in BIOS......just in case the kext has not been written to work with dual Ethernet ports.....

So the problem can be in the kext. ;)

Cheers.

bb.

that's right it wont initiate the install process... GPT mac OS X (journaled) I've tried disabling the different ports but i'll try again just in case to make sure. thanks so much for the help man! you've been most helpful even if I'm still stuck :thumbsup_anim:

that's right it wont initiate the install process... GPT mac OS X (journaled) I've tried disabling the different ports but i'll try again just in case to make sure. thanks so much for the help man! you've been most helpful even if I'm still stuck :rolleyes:

My suggestion to you is: disable both ethernets and try again.

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version available on Gigabyte site? Maybe updating it should help you too.

Virtualization on BIOS should be disabled and HPET set to 32-bit mode. Take a look at your BIOS again just to make sure it's OK. :(

Keep coming here to get help whenever you want man. We are here for this. I can count on one OS X genius that allways show me the way and I believe we can solve your problem. But keep searching as much as you can. Don't give up, right?

Cheers.

bb.

so I disabled both ethernets and tried your recent bios recommendations, I had it set to 64 as I wanted my system to be 64 bit and although i no longer get to the ethernet it now halts at those sound assertion errors, also the ACPI time out persists...

sometime later... ok so if i ignore caches using -x I can get rid of the sound assertion problem but now I'm stuck at

_CST evaluation failed

so I disabled both ethernets and tried your recent bios recommendations, I had it set to 64 as I wanted my system to be 64 bit and although i no longer get to the ethernet it now halts at those sound assertion errors, also the ACPI time out persists...

sometime later... ok so if i ignore caches using -x I can get rid of the sound assertion problem but now I'm stuck at

_CST evaluation failed

Setting HPET to 32 bit mode allow you to boot into SL as 64 bits same way as 32 bits. :D

I'll take a look at this _CST evaluation failed to see what can be causing this.

You already tried booting -v -f arch=i386, right?

EDIT

Well, seems this problem is related to CPU processor section in DSDT.

Take a look here.

Try booting:

-v arch=i386 -f -legacy

Cheers.

bb.

well i tried > -v arch=i386 -f -legacy and no go :) looks like i'll have to take a stab at rewriting that DSDT file (christ).

Go here and here to do that..... :D

Hi norickabe.

Try this

Cheers.

bb.

Thanks millions! It seems to work now!

But de digital optical output is not working, and I would love to use this output to connect the pc to the 5.1 sound system...

Anyone know how to enable the digital optical output?

Also I have problems with the sleep. It goes to sleep perfectly, but there is no way to wake it up again.

Thanks millions! It seems to work now!

But de digital optical output is not working, and I would love to use this output to connect the pc to the 5.1 sound system...

Anyone know how to enable the digital optical output?

Also I have problems with the sleep. It goes to sleep perfectly, but there is no way to wake it up again.

Well, I can't help you with digital output since I don't use mine. I never tested it to see if works with this kext I sent you. :) Sorry for that.

In fact sleep seems to be a problem to a lot of people. See the two topics verdant posted earlier to see if modifying your DSDT would enable sleep to work fine. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I can't help you with digital output since I don't use mine. I never tested it to see if works with this kext I sent you. :) Sorry for that.

In fact sleep seems to be a problem to a lot of people. See the two topics verdant posted earlier to see if modifying your DSDT would enable sleep to work fine. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Actually I don't care so much the sleep stuff (I prefer don't to touch the DSDT whyle it works perfectly)... Just disabled the autosleep options in the menu... I would find usefull in a laptop, but in a desktop is quite useless... isn't it? :P

I'm gonna try to enable de digital sound output, if I manage to get it work I'll post here the howto...

Actually I don't care so much the sleep stuff (I prefer don't to touch the DSDT whyle it works perfectly)... Just disabled the autosleep options in the menu... I would find usefull in a laptop, but in a desktop is quite useless... isn't it? :P

I'm gonna try to enable de digital sound output, if I manage to get it work I'll post here the howto...

Well, if you want, I can post to you my DSDT file because my sleep is working pretty well. Tried it yesterday for several times and system woke up every time w/o problems. Even my Bluetooth dongle that used to be disable when system wake up is now working. :)

@TheDevil.

Mate, if you wanna take a chance with my DSDT file, please let me know. Don't know if will work, but I believe you got nothing to loose. :) I know DSDT file is very particular for each system but.... I'm stubborn and that's what I'd do. In fact I did with Bloodiator's file he sent me once. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Well, if you want, I can post to you my DSDT file because my sleep is working pretty well. Tried it yesterday for several times and system woke up every time w/o problems. Even my Bluetooth dongle that used to be disable when system wake up is now working. :)

@TheDevil.

Mate, if you wanna take a chance with my DSDT file, please let me know. Don't know if will work, but I believe you got nothing to loose. :) I know DSDT file is very particular for each system but.... I'm stubborn and that's what I'd do. In fact I did with Bloodiator's file he sent me once. :)

Cheers.

bb.

I'll give it a shot, before i go through creating my own I have a quadcore 9550 and a GA-EP45-UD3P. ;)