GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

Thanx for the tutorial.

But for 5 days now I have been trying to install max osx v10.6 retail on my new computer with no luck.

I have tried billions of ways to do it, boot cd's, usb methods and taking my new harddisks computer and connect it to my Imac with usb chase. No luck

Now I am doing you boot cd version and when I take out and put the Snow leopard disk in, press f5 and select the install disk, a new gray screen appears, apple logo and the endles turning wheel. nothing more. I have been able to go that far with most of my other various attempts.

CAN ANYBODY -please- HELP ME?

My computer:

MOBO: GA-EX58-UD3R

Video: Sapphire HD4870 PCI-E2.0 1GB

I also have HighPoint RocketRaid 1520 sata2 connected to 2 sata disks (is that maybe interfering with my install?)

Best regards

Stefán Drengsson

Iceland.

When you try booting, after you select the install DVD, but BEFORE you press Enter to boot, type the following:

-v

During the boot, watch for errors. At the very least, you'll be able to see where the loading stops. Then we may be able to further direct you in your efforts. Even a camera shot of the errors on the screen would be good, but isn't completely necessary.

I've updated verdant's Boot132 ISO with PC EFI 10.5 and modified the com.apple.boot.plist to inject support for unsupported graphics chipsets.

Anyone having problems with the DVD "hanging" should try this and see how it works.

Posting back your results with your configuration is encouraged.

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132DVD_V3.zip [RapidShare]

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132DVD_V3.zip [MediaFire]

I wanted to try it out your new disk, i got this message:

"ISOLINUX 3.63 20008-04-10 copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

Unknown keyword in configuration file.

could not find kernel image: linux

boot:"

I've updated verdant's Boot132 ISO with PC EFI 10.5 and modified the com.apple.boot.plist to inject support for unsupported graphics chipsets.

Anyone having problems with the DVD "hanging" should try this and see how it works.

Posting back your results with your configuration is encouraged.

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132DVD_V3.zip [RapidShare]

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132DVD_V3.zip [MediaFire]

When you try booting, after you select the install DVD, but BEFORE you press Enter to boot, type the following:

-v

During the boot, watch for errors. At the very least, you'll be able to see where the loading stops. Then we may be able to further direct you in your efforts. Even a camera shot of the errors on the screen would be good, but isn't completely necessary.

Thanx for trying to help me.

I get this message in -v mode:

"Kext com.apple.Dont_steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc00007."

I also include a pic from my camera.

Any ideas you bright minds out there?

post-532716-1259612324_thumb.jpg

I wanted to try it out your new disk, i got this message:

"ISOLINUX 3.63 20008-04-10 copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

Unknown keyword in configuration file.

could not find kernel image: linux

boot:"

Thanx for trying to help me.

I get this message in -v mode:

"Kext com.apple.Dont_steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc00007."

I also include a pic from my camera.

Any ideas you bright minds out there?

I'm guessing you're not using a retail DVD? You probably need fakesmc.kext from netkas. I'll see about adding it to the ISO when I fix whatever is wrong with it.

Or maybe verdant could update it since he appears to have the goods. If he doesn't or can't, I'll see about fixing it once I'm back on my HackPro.

I am using a retail disk.

Bought it in the only apple store in Iceland

I'm guessing you're not using a retail DVD? You probably need fakesmc.kext from netkas. I'll see about adding it to the ISO when I fix whatever is wrong with it.

Or maybe verdant could update it since he appears to have the goods. If he doesn't or can't, I'll see about fixing it once I'm back on my HackPro.

This boot disk starts but when I swap in my mac os 10.6 retail, this comes up:

Ramdisk contains no partitions

failed to read the boot sector from bios device......

Is it because i am using 10.6? - that's the one i bought and the only one I have.

best regards

drengsson

Okay, let's try this again.

I've updated the booter in the ISO to PC EFI 10.5 and I've updated a few of the kexts as well.

Try it now and see if it makes any difference.

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132_DVD_v3.1.zip [RapidShare]

GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132_DVD_v3.1.zip [MediaFire]

@ Tosk and others

Let me know what you want on the Boot132DVD and I will happily do a new version as soon as I have some free time in a few days time......if you can't wait that long I am sorry but I cannot do it any sooner........

@ drengsson

I would guess the Sapphire HD4870 is part of your problem.....and I would also remove the HighPoint RocketRaid 1520 sata2 setup, or at least not attempt to install to it......

If you can borrow a nVidia graphics card and use another standalone SATA HDD to install OS X on, then you should have few problems.....after OS X is working OK you can then sort out your ATI graphics and Rocket RAID setup with the correct drivers and PC_EFI v10.5.....see earlier post by breakingbad and others on ATI HD graphics cards.....

@ Tosk and others

Let me know what you want on the Boot132DVD and I will happily do a new version as soon as I have some free time in a few days time......if you can't wait that long I am sorry but I cannot do it any sooner........

A Boot132 DVD with PC EFI 10.5's booter and GraphicsEnabler set to yes in com.apple.boot.plist would work wonders for those with newer ATI chipsets.

A Boot132 DVD with PC EFI 10.5's booter and GraphicsEnabler set to yes in com.apple.boot.plist would work wonders for those with newer ATI chipsets.

OK.......are you able and willing to test the pre-release version when I do it?

I'd like to know the way to make the damn dsdt.aml my self i've tried 4-5 times and i get errors and stuff.. arg# now i use a pre-made from a german/french user with similar system..

so maybe using skype and remotely with other software like osx-screen-sharing or teamviewer or vnc to give you access and you fix!

Anyways thanx for the reply i appreciate it!

Are you trying to generate and DSDT.aml or simply patch it?

Cheers.

bb.

W8, you say i can patch my already semi-workign dsdt.aml with a progie to make it 100% compatible with my system but i need windows ??

In fact you don't need Windows, but assuming that you're having a lot of trouble generating a patched DSDT in your own system, you may need to give it a try using the windows version of the app. :P

Look for an app called iASLMe and see if compiling/decompiling it may solve your problem.

Have you already tried another DSDT.aml to see if solves the issues yours are having? Maybe just using another one can fit your hardware and system. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I don't know.

I just had one D-Link card in the very begin and I discarded it so quickly because I bought one Apple Ethernet to USB Adapter and never had any problem with it since version 10.5.3... :(

I don't like using the wireless connection. And my computer stays just beside my modem, so don't need wifi connection.

Have you already checked D-Links website to see if they have Mac drivers?

For some products they have original drivers for macintosh.

Cheers.

bb.

well actually i have a really dodgy g122 rev c which i have the drivers for and working. but while i am buying a new network adapter it will have to do. just wondering is there anyway i can fix the replug on boot issue and is there anyway i can make it recognised as airport?

ps: do you know of any top of the range network adapters that work well with osx86

well actually i have a really dodgy g122 rev c which i have the drivers for and working. but while i am buying a new network adapter it will have to do. just wondering is there anyway i can fix the replug on boot issue and is there anyway i can make it recognised as airport?

ps: do you know of any top of the range network adapters that work well with osx86

Well, you can check out the HCL for Snow Leopard and see if there's any network hardware that fits your need and same time be compatible with OS X.

I don't like recommending hardware because sometimes same hardware works different, so to avoid problems, I don't do that. I hope you understand. :)

Cheers.

bb.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a small Lenovo S10-2 and i'm already running snow on it! ;) only line in doesn't work..

Nice to hear that.

Have you already checked to see if anyone has this same issue solved?

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - I believe that in a short period of time, my syster is going to buy a new laptop and I'll ask her for the old one so I'll install Snow Leopard on it for me. :thumbsdown_anim: LOL !

hey i was wondering if the snow leoaprd off the apple website was an upgrade disc or a full install. also is this the copy of retail that people are using here

Well I'm not sure about that, but I believe that the disc available at Apple Website is a full disc install like WIndows.

Once you have a previous version, the disc will only upgrade system, but if you're running it for the first time in an empty HDD it will install full system.

Cheers.

bb.

EDIT - Xmas Wishes.

Hi all.

I'd like to wish you all Merry Xmas.

That Santa my brighten your ways to install Snow Leopard to your rigs smoothly. :)

Now it's time to :yoji:

Cheers to all.

bb.

• 2 weeks later...

managed to get Snow Leopard installed. Used OSx86 Tools to get the video working properly. ;)

One issue. When I go to the About This Mac info, it says I'm only running a 4GHz Unknown Processor.

I have an E8500 3.16 Core 2 Duo

Also says my ram is only 800mhz. should be 1066

Sleep and Wakeup:

System sleeps instantly without any extra delay. But …… I unable to wake it up.

Solution:

Not yet found.

???

You just need to do UnsubscribeMe's/MasterChief's dsdt.aml fixes for this.

Sleep via Menu (Apple -> Sleep), Sleep via Energy Preferences/Idle sleep [setting the time] and Scheduled Sleep (also in Energy Preferences) all work fine for me.

Also Scheduled Wake, Wake by Keyboard or Mouse, and Wake by Ethernet (aka Wake-on-LAN) all work flawlessly, as well.

Ok, So I have been trying to do this on my computer an following everyone's instructions although I am hitting a snag with the SL boot CD.

I get this.

post-241558-1262541913_thumb.jpg

Either I am missing something really simple, or have a major problem... :(

I'm using Tosk's Modified EP45-UD3L Boot CD 3.1 (from post #231) with a formatted Mac OS X (Journaled) partition nothing installed to it... I have tried with and without AHCI and IDE Controller Enabled/Disabled...

GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3L

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.13Ghz (OC'd x9 2.4Ghz)

Sapphire Radeon HD4870 PCIe 2.0 1GB GDDR5

3 SATA, 1 IDE HD (SATA's are for OS, IDE is Storage)

DVD Writer on IDE

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alex