GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

What about the new OS Update to 10.6.2 ?? We ok to go there?

Hi Blood.

The Update is OK, but I believe you should go here to get info on it.

I solved my problem of bricked system after the update.

Deleted the SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from Extra/Extensions.

The 10.6.2 update doesn't work with these 2 files. The new Kernel + Old sleepenabler.kext causes system to panic.

Google on netkas.

I hope everything goes fine for all of you. :unsure:

Cheers.

bb.

Was i really so stupid to think I could install osx snow leopard on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR with an ati radeon 4850 card?

I guess 10.5 Leopard will work as I've seen several posts by users who have an Ati 4850 videocard. But I want to use snow leopard, photshop and logic will benefit from the 64 bit.

What kind of install is Apple using for their new iMacs wich contain the new Ati 4850 cards?

Seriously, is there a way I could prepare my usb flash drive (kingston 8 gb) so it doesn't stall in setup, before I can reach disk managment etc?

Or should I consider installing Leopard 10.5 and update to 10.6? Or would that fail with my Ati 4850 videocard?

Hi Muff.

Take a look at this page below:

Google for netkas.

Seems like there's hope for those who owns Radeon GFXs... check to see if yours fits.

Cheers.

bb.

hi breakingbad

Is there any fix for my frequent wifi disconnection on SL?

My system info

EP45-UD3L

Intel E3110

4gb Ram

SL 10.6.1

Belkin f5d8053 dongle (RT2870 chipset)

Is running fine on Leopard but once upgrade to SL and using the official ralink driver it cause me disconnect very frequently.

Please help me out,thanks :(

Hi Blood.

The Update is OK, but I believe you should go here to get info on it.

I solved my problem of bricked system after the update.

Deleted the SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from Extra/Extensions.

The 10.6.2 update doesn't work with these 2 files. The new Kernel + Old sleepenabler.kext causes system to panic.

Take a look here at netkas.org site.

www.netkas.org - Front Page news is on 10.6.2 update.

I hope everything goes fine for all of you. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Oh.. well i'll w8 for 10.6.2 a bit, cause i don't need the stuff it fixes, and i haven't found a bug in address book, anyways, i'll update in the near future.. not now! :D

hi breakingbad

Is there any fix for my frequent wifi disconnection on SL?

My system info

EP45-UD3L

Intel E3110

4gb Ram

SL 10.6.1

Belkin f5d8053 dongle (RT2870 chipset)

Is running fine on Leopard but once upgrade to SL and using the official ralink driver it cause me disconnect very frequently.

Please help me out,thanks :(

Hi beefball.

Unfortunatelly I'll be unable to help you this time.

As I don't use any kind of wi-fi connection and I don't have same hardware as you, I can't help you much.

You can try googling a little on this issue and see what happens.

Maybe the file from Ralink is not supported in SL and it's causing drop connections...

Try this forum. It's about the same chipset as yours.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191076

See topic #5... the users posted one kext that may help you.

Cheers.

bb.

Oh.. well i'll w8 for 10.6.2 a bit, cause i don't need the stuff it fixes, and i haven't found a bug in address book, anyways, i'll update in the near future.. not now! :D

Yeah! You can wait a little.

I did the update on a trial basis... as the 10.6.1 was made w/o a single problem, I tried to see if this behave would repeat but it doesn't.

If you want to try, simply delete the SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from your /Extra/Extensions folder - run the Update and the install the new SleepEnabler.kext from www.netkas.org and everything is gonna be fine. As people are saying, dsmos.kext is not needed anymore. Just keep the fakesmc.kext and add the new file from netkas and you won't have problems.

It's up to you now! Doubts are already explained. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Yeah! You can wait a little.

I did the update on a trial basis... as the 10.6.1 was made w/o a single problem, I tried to see if this behave would repeat but it doesn't.

If you want to try, simply delete the SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from your /Extra/Extensions folder - run the Update and the install the new SleepEnabler.kext from www.netkas.org and everything is gonna be fine. As people are saying, dsmos.kext is not needed anymore. Just keep the fakesmc.kext and add the new file from netkas and you won't have problems.

It's up to you now! Doubts are already explained. -_-

Cheers.

bb.

Hm. look i'm thinking about testing it today, but i'm on to something these days and i need my system up and running, man i did more than 15 formats to get me results this good!

But when i test it i'll post comments and success story! :(

Hm. look i'm thinking about testing it today, but i'm on to something these days and i need my system up and running, man i did more than 15 formats to get me results this good!

But when i test it i'll post comments and success story! :)

Well, in fact you don't need to worry.

Before doing the update, you just need to delete the SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext.

The 10.6.2 version don't use dsmos.kext to work and the SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 can be downloaded here.

After the update, using this kext from netkas, sleep works like before. Just fine. :D

I suffered a little because I didn't have this information on this 2 files before.

Cheers.

bb.

Sleeps works? But i ain't got sleep! :D

Well mate, here for me still working. :D

If I put my computer to sleep, it goes to sleep and I can wake it up whenever I want and it wakes up fine. No problems.

Sometimes sleep doesn't go alone... but still working. :P

Cheers.

bb.

EDIT:

I was having problems with the computer getting stuck here (see below).

After 2 days I solved my problem...sit down: it wasn't getting stuck at all. I was using an ATI 4870 and I wasn't seeing the UI that was actually running (and yes, I had GraphicsEnabler=No)...all I was seeing was the text where the boot process was ending and UI would normally come up.

For gigles I put in my 9800 GTX+ and voila...I saw a UI.

30 minutes (and 2 days) later I have a fully working 10.6.1 install.

So...if your install and/or boot process hangs and it doesn't seem like anythig is wrong, consider the fact that nothing might be wrong and you're just not seeing the UI...you need to look at the graphics card and see if you have it configured properly.

post-56202-1255031221_thumb.jpeg

so I'm having the same problem booting from my HD. when I boot from the CD everything is working properly. so if I use OSXTools and update my graphics this should fix my problem?

so I'm having the same problem booting from my HD. when I boot from the CD everything is working properly. so if I use OSXTools and update my graphics this should fix my problem?

Hi there.

If you're using Radeon HDXXXX GFX cards, you should google for netkas.

Looks like there he posted some tricks to get some Radeon gfx cards to work even in 10.6.2 SL.

Take a look there.

Cheers.

bb.

I put a Turtle Beach USB sound stick and now my Hackintosh is full Quad Core, 3GHZ.. Greatness!!

CS4, Maxon Cinema 4D, Net Render, and Final Cut All working beautifully!!!!

Thank you so Much Guys!!!!!!

Hi mate.

You´re welcome. Forum is all about sharing knowledge. :(

How I wish I could have only 4 posts and a system up and running when I did my first try on OSX world. :)

Feel free to come here and share all your experiences on OSX. Keep coming, because whenever the new versions are coming out for sure we´ll be here to get info on them.

Cheers.

bb.

bb

ok just when I say "hackintosh greatness".... I updated to 10.6.2 and now I get panic and It says I need to restart my computer. I dont know what to do and the info on that drive is pretty important. any ideas??

panic (cpu caller....) kernsl trap

debugger called <panic>....

bsd process name corresponding...

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

kernel Version

Darwin...

System model Macpro 2,1

system uptime in nanoseconds....

bb

ok just when I say "hackintosh greatness".... I updated to 10.6.2 and now I get panic and It says I need to restart my computer. I dont know what to do and the info on that drive is pretty important. any ideas??

panic (cpu caller....) kernsl trap

debugger called <panic>....

bsd process name corresponding...

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

kernel Version

Darwin...

System model Macpro 2,1

system uptime in nanoseconds....

Hi mate.

Let me ask you something... before updating to 10.6.2 have you deleted SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from your /Extra/Extensions folder? If not, that's what causing your system to panic. ;) It's known that these 2 files are not needed anymore in 10.6.2.

If you have these 2 kexts in your /Extra/Extensions folder you can follow one of the 3 procedures bellow:

1st - If you have one working partition with Leopard, just browse to your SL install, go to the folder and delete the files mentioned.

2nd - If you have one windows partition, you can use TransMac to delete the files. Install TransMac, browse to the HDD where you have SL installed, find the /Extra/Extensions folder and delete the 2 files.

3rd - Boot like you're going to install SL again but when the SL screen shows up go to Utilities > Terminal. In terminal type:

cd /Volumes/"SL HDD INSTALL"/Extra/Extensions
ls
sudo rm -f SleepEnabler.kext
ls

LS code is just used to list the files that are present in the folder so you can be sure what to delete and after doing that to confirm file was excluded. :) Remember that "SL HDD INSTALL" is where you installed your system, so the name will be different from this.

Repeat this step to delete the dsmos.kext.

If this doesn't work, you can try:

cd /Volumes/SL HDD INSTALL/Extra/Extensions
ls
rm -R SleepEnabler.kext
ls

I hope this works for you.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers.

bb.

bb

You are amazing. Thats all it took. I deleted the dsmos.kext and Back in Business. Can I donate money???

Thanks again bb

Cheers.

WoW X 100000000000 = Happy Hackintosh Customer :)

Don't worry about donation but if you really feel good doing that, donate do my friend verdant. He's the guy behind my knowledge.

I'll take your happiness as donation. :P

I believe you only skipped earlier posts and didn't read this easy solution to the ones who updated to 10.6.2 SL.

If you want, go to www.netkas.org and download the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2. Here is working pretty fine.

Cheers.

bb.

Man this thread took a life on it's own, one of the easiest ways to install without a pre-installed 10.5.x and also the best people with lot's a solutions!!

Horay mates! Keep up!

Solutions are always on the way.

One good thing to do to get solutions is to always google for Netkas. He rocks.

It's important to create a good relationship with some friends that understands OSX and is willing to help you.

And the best way to get solutions always is reading a lot. Sometimes I say... you need to keep reading and searching OSX forum till your eyes pops out your head. As I never saw this happens, I guess you will never stop reading posts. ;)

Cheers.

bb.

hey guys at the moment i have leopard 10.5.6 and now i am wanting snow leopard. i have checked and all my hardware is compatible with snow leopard. i saw that there was a snow leopard upgrade disk at the shops and was wondering if i could use this to install it

thanks

Hi stickman.

If I were you, I would proceed as follow in the guide for some reasons.

1st - If the upgrade don't go fine, you loose you Leopard install.

2nd - Don't know if I'm right, but 10.5.6 installs uses different mach_kernel what can causes your install to crash.

3rd - If you upgrade and something goes wrong, it will be much harder to help you with it.

4th - I believe the steps posted here are so easy to follow that you can handle it w/o problems and you can keep your 10.5.6 install and have SL at same moment.

You may want to buy the original Snow Leopard DVD from one Apple Store or Authorized Dealer that install will go fine same way with one you download from any torrent. Snow Leopard itself keeps original files from Apple, including Vanilla Kernel.

So my suggestion is: install SL to your HDD as a fresh install. When system is running fine and rock solid, you decide to throw away your 10.5.6 install or keep it in the disk.

Hope to help you.

Cheers.

bb.

bb

I was thinking about adding 4 more gigs of RAM to my already 4. Should I be cautious??

Thanks

ep45-Ud3l

nvidia Geforce9800 gt --1 gig

Well, I don't see any reason why not upgrading your RAM.

I believe you should have no problem since people here in InsanelyMac has shown a huge amout of memory in their rigs. :)

If you asked me: it's necessary? I'd say no. But if you want, I see no problem.

Go for it.

I wish I could do like you, but I want to upgrade my memory to 16 Gb RAM instead of my actual 4 Gb. :wacko:

Cheers.

bb.

I'm gathering up everything I need from this thread for my new install lol I've read all 10 pages now. I think I have a handle on things.

One question I do have is, is it confirmed that the SL upgrade dvd will work for this? I read 2 different things but nothing confirmed one way or another.

Thanks!!

Well, after reading everything in this thread, I'm convinced that the issue I'm having is because I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCIe card. When trying to boot the retail DVD, it hangs right after initializing my wifi chipset. No errors, just sits there and does nothing.

I have an almost fully-working DSDT that I patched myself after about 3 weeks of research. ALC888 audio is fully-working with DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext and all the patches and fixes are in there. The only thing not working on Leopard is my ethernet (which isn't needed, but still). OS X doesn't even see the ethernet chipset at all. This might be a BIOS setting; I'll have to check. But since OS X can't see it, I can't tell the DSDT which address it's at.

Anyway, I'm going to test some things soon and see if I can't get the DVD to boot using those newer ATI chipsets. I REALLY don't want to have to buy an NVidia card just to get Snow Leopard to work.

Whatever I find out, I'll post back.

I made a little progress. I ran into an issue I didn't have before though.

I managed to get the window server loaded. I could see and move the mouse cursor, but nothing else showed up. I did this by using the latest beta booter from netkas and setting GraphicsEnabler=y in boot.plist.

The problem I had however was that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kept giving me a kernel panic saying that CPU1 had no HPET on it. I didn't have this problem before I wiped my USB stick and started again. And I've not modified my DSDT from before (in the DSDT, I included the HPET fix). I tried with HPET set to 32 and 64-bit in the BIOS and got the same panic both times (unlike before which worked fine with it set to 64-bit). Deleting the kext and rebooting is what allowed me to get the window server loaded, such as it is.

Oh. And my LAN was because I had Green LAN enabled in the BIOS. Disabled it and OS X sees it just fine now.

I finally got the DVD to boot and was able to install Snow Leopard.

There was a permissions issue that prevented the kexts from being loaded. That kept the NullCPU kext from loading right. Only thing is, I had to boot into safe mode. Both the DVD and the install won't load the kexts properly otherwise. In safe mode they load fine.

Anyone know of a reason why they wouldn't load normally? The error produced when they try to load is just that the Mach-O file in the kext was malformed.