GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

i'm gonna read up a bit but what exactly do i do with the file again? ;)

If you have the boot cd or boot dvd, you should open the ISO file and look for the DSDT file inside it and change for the one I provided. Burn another CD or DVD and voi lá. ! :)

Cheers.

bb.

just tried it and no go (I think)...

BSD process name corresponding to current thread; kernel_task

Mac OS version:
10A432

Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0; Fri Jul 31 22:47:32 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386
System Model Name: MacPro3.1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 20308748363

thats where it gets stuck now, will have to create my own DSDT or whatever it is.

EDIT... The last detail i just figured out is that my mobo has several revisions mine being GA-EP45-UD3P "FB" not F# which might have something to do with the incompatibility

just tried it and no go (I think)...

BSD process name corresponding to current thread; kernel_task

Mac OS version:
10A432

Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0; Fri Jul 31 22:47:32 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386
System Model Name: MacPro3.1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 20308748363

thats where it gets stuck now, will have to create my own DSDT or whatever it is.

EDIT... The last detail i just figured out is that my mobo has several revisions mine being GA-EP45-UD3P "FB" not F# which might have something to do with the incompatibility

Well, in fact you could go far now. :rolleyes: It's an advance I believe.

Maybe you should really try a fresh DSDT to your mobo. As said before, DSDT is a very particular file.

Take your time in writing the right DSDT for you mobo and I believe you won't have problems in the future.

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I tried so many methods and versions of kexts ant tutorials and stay stucked and losing my time.

When I try install with cd installation and original retail stuck in waiting for dsmos...

When I try install trough my Ideneb 10.5.8 (100 % working) installations goes fine and after, pc efi, extra folder, extensions, dsdt's and at reboot: kernel panic or waiting for dsmos or error with acpi and ALWAYS STUCK.

My PC: EP45-UD3L - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - 6 Gb ddr2 800 - Radeon 4870 512M - Hd Sata2 500 Gb.

I'm frustrated and Sad.

Thanks ALL here !

thanks for all your help :)

You're welcome mate.

Whenever you need, come to see us. I'm not a genius at this, but I have a friend who is. :P

I believe you should do a little research on DSDT stuff. I believe it's your problem with no go installations with OS X. You see that when I sent you mine, you could go further although you still get stuck on start. :P

As you have a mobo a little bit different from ours, I believe the steps and almost the configs is quite the same.

Keep trying. Don't give up.

Cheers.

bb.

Well, I tried so many methods and versions of kexts ant tutorials and stay stucked and losing my time.

When I try install with cd installation and original retail stuck in waiting for dsmos...

When I try install trough my Ideneb 10.5.8 (100 % working) installations goes fine and after, pc efi, extra folder, extensions, dsdt's and at reboot: kernel panic or waiting for dsmos or error with acpi and ALWAYS STUCK.

My PC: EP45-UD3L - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - 6 Gb ddr2 800 - Radeon 4870 512M - Hd Sata2 500 Gb.

I'm frustrated and Sad.

Thanks ALL here !

Well Edu, lets get from the start.

> Did you check your BIOS settings to see if matches the configuration needed to start OS X?

> Have you updated your BIOS from Gigabyte site?

> What are the specs for your drives? IDE - SATA? How it is connected to your mobo? Master, Slave?

> When you tried to install with bootcd provided in first post, did you use -v -f arch=i386 flags?

Click HERE to download Boot132DVD provided by verdant (always thanks to you mate!) to see if it makes any difference to you?

Are the HDD you want to install your OS X is formatted as GPT/HFS+ ? It's important to be because installation method in MBR/HFS+ partition HDD is a bit different.

I hope I have helped you. :)

Cheers.

bb.

Hey bb. thanks for your repply.

Let´s go;

1 - I follow exact settings in bios (F7) except EIST because it´s no listed to be enable or not.

2 - I Have 3 Hds on my pc, 1 samsung 320 Gb and 2 Seagate Sata 2 500 Gb any and one dvd-r Lg Sata and one Blue-ray recorder Lg Sata too.

I do not know the exact position of each on motherboard, it makes a difference?

3 - Yes I tried to install using the commands that you told and stuk´s in waiting for dsmos or acpi_smc and don´t go to anyway.

4 - Yes my hd its formatted in GPT.

It is very strange all this is that everybody did.

Do you have any idea what´s happening ?

Thanks for your help.

Ps. Sorry by my poor english..

I am Brazilian and I am still studying English... :wub:

Hi everyone,

I have the GA-EP45-UD3L, I followed this guide and finally got everything working.

Had many troubles but now the only thing left to do is install the bootloader.

In the guide it only says "Install Snow Leopard Boot Loader"

What does this mean ? For now I just leave the Chameleon cd in my computer and boot from it to choose my MacOS install and boot it. It works fine but a) it reverts the bios every reboot and :D I have to put the cd in everytime I start the computer.

This must sound like a real newbie question but I had several hackintosh before but its the first time I have to install a boot loader.

Thanks for your help !

Hey bb. thanks for your repply.

Let´s go;

1 - I follow exact settings in bios (F7) except EIST because it´s no listed to be enable or not.

2 - I Have 3 Hds on my pc, 1 samsung 320 Gb and 2 Seagate Sata 2 500 Gb any and one dvd-r Lg Sata and one Blue-ray recorder Lg Sata too.

I do not know the exact position of each on motherboard, it makes a difference?

3 - Yes I tried to install using the commands that you told and stuk´s in waiting for dsmos or acpi_smc and don´t go to anyway.

4 - Yes my hd its formatted in GPT.

It is very strange all this is that everybody did.

Do you have any idea what´s happening ?

Thanks for your help.

Ps. Sorry by my poor english..

I am Brazilian and I am still studying English... :)

Se vc é brasileiro, vai ficar mais fácil ainda te ajudar. :P

1 - Eu vou verificar qual a definição pro EIST, não me recordo assim de cabeça. Como eu mexo muito na minha mobo as vezes eu me perco. Eu sei que o Virtualization é disabled, o HPET é setado para 32-bit (isso não vai impedir vc de bootar o Snow Leopard em 64 bits).

2 - Geralmente faz differença sim a forma como os drives estão ligados a sua mobo. Em alguns casos, principalmente envolvendo drives IDE, os drives de DVD devem ser os masters. Se os seus HDD forem todos SATA isso minimiza o problema, pois você só precisa colocar os drives de DVD e Blue-Ray sendo um master e outro slave.

3 - Qual forma de boot vc está utilizando? Eu usaria o Boot132DVD que te mandei no link, mas vc pode fazer o teste com o boot cd do primeiro post e ver se funciona para você. Pra mim não funcionou. O boot do primeiro post vc pode até tentar usá-lo em um pen-drive.

4 - Eu também tive esses probleminhas no início mas fui resolvendo. Tudo o que estou te passando é exatamente o que eu fiz. Espero que resolva pra vc.

Você já tem o seu arquivo de DSDT com os patches necessários? É importante também. O DSDT é um arquivo muito particular para cada sistema. Algumas vezes é possível usar o de outra pessoa, mas isso acontece quando o sistema é igual.

Outro fator importante é gravar os discos, tanto de boot quanto do Snow Leopard o mais lento possível para que não haja nenhum tipo de corrupção de arquivos e prejudique a inicialização.

Saudações.

bb.

Translation

If you are Brazilian, you'll be even easier to help you.

1 - I'll check what the definition for EIST, I do not remember well head. How do I change config a lot in my mobo sometimes Ijust don't remember basic settings. I know that Virtualization is disabled, the HPET is set to 32-bit (this will not prevent you to boot Snow Leopard 64-bit).

2 - Generally makes difference about how the drives are connected to your mobo. In some cases, mainly involving IDE drives, DVD drives should be the masters. If your HDD is SATA all it minimizes the problem because you only need to put the DVD drives and Blu-Ray one as master and the other as slave.

3 - What form of boot you are using? I would use Boot132DVD I sent you the link, but you can do the test with the boot cd provided in the first post and see if it works for you. For me it did not work. The boot of the first post you can even try to use it on a flash drive.

4 - I also had these little problems at first but I was solving. All the steps I'm posting here is exactly what I did. I hope this works for you too.

You already have your DSDT file with the necessary patches? It is also important. The DSDT is a very special file for each system. Sometimes you can use someone else's, but that happens when the system is equal.

Another important factor is to record the disc, both the boot and the Snow Leopard as slow as possible so that there is any kind of file corruption and damage the boot.

Greetings.

bb.

End of translation

Hi everyone,

I have the GA-EP45-UD3L, I followed this guide and finally got everything working.

Had many troubles but now the only thing left to do is install the bootloader.

In the guide it only says "Install Snow Leopard Boot Loader"

What does this mean ? For now I just leave the Chameleon cd in my computer and boot from it to choose my MacOS install and boot it. It works fine but a) it reverts the bios every reboot and :P I have to put the cd in everytime I start the computer.

This must sound like a real newbie question but I had several hackintosh before but its the first time I have to install a boot loader.

Thanks for your help !

Hi maxster.

You're having your CMOS reseted everytime you're rebooting your machine because you need to do these steps.

1 - Install the bootloader. To do this, download the bootloader Chameleon 2 RC3 from the first post and run the installer. Choose the HDD where you installed Snow Leopard. This way you won't need to have boot cd in drive to start system. Too see if bootloader was installed correctly, fire up Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

this code enables you to show HIDDEN files in Finder. Go to your root directory and look for a file named boot. If it's there, you have bootloader installed. :)

To hide the files, fire up Terminal and now type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

2 - Copy your DSDT.aml file into your / so you can boot fine everytime.

3 - In your Snow Leopard HDD - same HDD you can see the Applications folder, you should have one folder called EXTRA. Inside this folder you need to keep files like in this pic:

post-223908-1256393466_thumb.pngpost-223908-1256393478_thumb.png

Remember that the com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist need some changes to meet your configs specs.

This kexts you can find it in post #1 but you may need some extra kexts.

After that, you won't need to have your boot cd placed in drive to boot Snow Leopard.

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - Sorry if the code box looks bigger than necessary. It's first time I use it. :)

Hiz boys.. if it's possible, translate the text to English even if it is from auto-translation for others to be able to view and solve their probs!

You know! Info.. web! :D

Sorry Blood. My bad.

I'll post the translation of what was said by me.

I posted it in my native language because the guy who asked for help is brazilian too.

:)

EDIT - Edu Mac User

Hi. Follow the BIOS settings like mine is.

Take a look.

----------------------------------------------

.: Advanced BIOS Features:.

- Limit CPUID Max. to 3 - Disabled.

- CPU Thermal Monitor 2 - Disabled

- EIST: Disabled

- Virtualization: Disabled

- Fullscreen: Disabled

- Backup BIOS Image to HDD: Disabled

- Init Display: PEG

.: Integrated Peripherals:.

- SATA Mode: AHCI

- SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode: Disabled

- Greenlan: Disabled

- Onboard Boot LAN: Disabled

- Onboard Serial Port 1: Disabled

- Onboard Paralel Port: Disabled

.:Power Management Setup:.

- ACPI Suspend: S3(STR)

- PME - Disabled

- Power On By: Disabled

- Resume: Disabled

- HPET Support: Enabled

- HPET - 32 Bit Mode.

What is not mentioned here is because don't need change from standard config from factory. :P

---------------------------------------------

Cheers.

bb.

Have a troubles with install.

I feel myself dumb. ((

I have GA-EP45-DS3LR mobo. 3 SATA HDDs. Sata0 - 320 Gb Leo 10.5.6. Sata1 - 200 Gb for future Snow Leo. Sata2 - 320 Gb personal files.

Made all BIOS settings by first post.

Tried to install with BootCD and with Boot132 DVD. Tried to disconnect all HDDs except 200 Gb. Tried 32 bit and 64 bit HPET. Tried to enable and to disable IDE controller. Tried -f, -v, -v -f keys... But there were no success.

All the time it tells me "Nothing found to load". What does it mean?

Thanks for help!

Have a troubles with install.

I feel myself dumb. ((

I have GA-EP45-DS3LR mobo. 3 SATA HDDs. Sata0 - 320 Gb Leo 10.5.6. Sata1 - 200 Gb for future Snow Leo. Sata2 - 320 Gb personal files.

Made all BIOS settings by first post.

Tried to install with BootCD and with Boot132 DVD. Tried to disconnect all HDDs except 200 Gb. Tried 32 bit and 64 bit HPET. Tried to enable and to disable IDE controller. Tried -f, -v, -v -f keys... But there were no success.

All the time it tells me "Nothing found to load". What does it mean?

Thanks for help!

Well, this is not same board as mine, but let's try to help you...

- Do you have your latest BIOS file to your mobo?

- Do your target HDD is formatted as GPT/HFS+ ?

- When in the install process the "Nothing found to load" message is showing up? I confess never had seen anything like this before. Even in older installations process.

- Do you have SL install disc recorded into DVD? Are you recording the boot disks (CD or DVD) at the slower speed available?

Cheers.

bb.

Well, this is not same board as mine, but let's try to help you...

- Do you have your latest BIOS file to your mobo?

- Do your target HDD is formatted as GPT/HFS+ ?

- When in the install process the "Nothing found to load" message is showing up? I confess never had seen anything like this before. Even in older installations process.

- Do you have SL install disc recorded into DVD? Are you recording the boot disks (CD or DVD) at the slower speed available?

Cheers.

bb.

- Yes, I made an update from Gigabyte.

- GPT/HFS+? Does it mean GUID/MacOS Extended ? I made GUID partition table on it.

- "Nothing found to load" is showing after install process loads all kexts. Screenshots are in attachments.

- Yes, I have SL install disc into DVD. Boot disks were recorded with the slowest speed.

I have not official Snow Leo Retail DVD. I've downloaded it from Inet and then wrote on DL DVD. Maybe you could write here md5 sum of your copy?

post-382823-1256451842_thumb.jpg

post-382823-1256451788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for help!

- Yes, I made an update from Gigabyte.

- GPT/HFS+? Does it mean GUID/MacOS Extended ? I made GUID partition table on it.

- "Nothing found to load" is showing after install process loads all kexts. Screenshots are in attachments.

- Yes, I have SL install disc into DVD. Boot disks were recorded with the slowest speed.

I have not official Snow Leo Retail DVD. I've downloaded it from Inet and then wrote on DL DVD. Maybe you could write here md5 sum of your copy?

post-382823-1256451842_thumb.jpg

post-382823-1256451788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for help!

Hi mate.

Well, I need you to do something.

I saw this in verdant's topic for nForce mobo chipsets Snow Leopard installation but may work for you.

VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK : OS X target HDD ownership

Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop -> Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the target OS X HDD volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equiavlent to using root:wheel)

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

This is to make certain that the permissions are not scrambled after the installation of OS X.....and hence that you are able to boot from the OS X 10.6 hard drive........

I'll investigate better your problem. :unsure:

Cheers.

bb.

@ Everyone

Here is a GA-EP45-UD3L Boot132DVD.iso V2, which includes JMicron kexts and PS/2 kexts, plus Bloodiator's DSDT.aml.......

1. Burn to a DVD-R or DVD+RW etc. NOT to a CDR or CDRW.....

2. Boot with -v -f

I hope it works for you......it does for breakingbad.....enjoy......

Cheers

verdant

@Verdant

I downloaded the GA-EP45-UD3L Boot132DVD.iso V2 file, but I am not able to burn it to a DVD, the file name is LegacyBootCD.iso inside the zip, is he file the correct one? when I burn to cd and boot, I get EBIOS read errors. I need help... please... I have a GA-EP45-UD3L mobo.

Thanks

@Verdant

I downloaded the GA-EP45-UD3L Boot132DVD.iso V2 file, but I am not able to burn it to a DVD, the file name is LegacyBootCD.iso inside the zip, is he file the correct one? when I burn to cd and boot, I get EBIOS read errors. I need help... please... I have a GA-EP45-UD3L mobo.

Thanks

Hi. I'm not verdant but I can help you.

Well, the file is to be burnt into a DVD disk. You can use Disk Utility to do so. Mount the .iso and open Disk Utility. When you see LegacyBootCD burn it. I'm assuming you know how to use Disk Utility.

The EBIOS error is because you burnt a DVD boot into disk a CD disk. In fact, after some EBIOS error boot disk will boot anyway but graphics will be a little of screen but will work.

EDIT - @Edu Mac Boy

Hi mate. Now you had success installing Snow Leopard, share with all the users here what was your experience and how you solved that issue that was preventing you from installation.

Hey Edu... just for your information on ATI.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189451

EDIT 2 - Edu Mac Boy

Hi again. For the sound, try the approach from this post.

About your GeForce 9500GT, take a look at this:

See if works for you !

> Another approach - Take a look here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3989&st=80#

> You can even try this hex I generated with OSX86 Tools.

I used:

- nVidia GeForce 9500GT

- 512 Mb

- DVI / VGA

Is that right? If yes, try it.

Add this string to your com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder.

Open com.apple.boot.plist and look for this lines:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>ADD CODE HERE</string>

Cheers.

bb.

Thanks to all people contributing to this forum, my computer is now up and running with everything working !

I still have only weird problem. I only have this installation running for 2 days now so its hard to be sure of when this happens, but it seems that whenever the computer was off for at least a couple hours, the first time I boot it, instead of loading OSX after the gray apple screen, it just stays blue and does nothing.

I have to hold the power button. Start the computer again and then everything is fine.

Anyone else seen this problem ?

Thanks to all people contributing to this forum, my computer is now up and running with everything working !

I still have only weird problem. I only have this installation running for 2 days now so its hard to be sure of when this happens, but it seems that whenever the computer was off for at least a couple hours, the first time I boot it, instead of loading OSX after the gray apple screen, it just stays blue and does nothing.

I have to hold the power button. Start the computer again and then everything is fine.

Anyone else seen this problem ?

It sounds like my problem, which I solved a couple days ago. When I changed resolution, or when I started any game, which could change screen res, my screen became blue. And after rebooting all worked fine. I found that my videocard have two outputs, and I just changed output port. Try this.

It sounds like my problem, which I solved a couple days ago. When I changed resolution, or when I started any game, which could change screen res, my screen became blue. And after rebooting all worked fine. I found that my videocard have two outputs, and I just changed output port. Try this.

@Maxster & aka_SKIff

Do you have your GFX cards installed properly with right kexts or strings?

As I don't game in OS X, I don't know if this behave would be the same in my machine.

Cheers.

bb.

@Maxster & aka_SKIff

Do you have your GFX cards installed properly with right kexts or strings?

As I don't game in OS X, I don't know if this behave would be the same in my machine.

Cheers.

bb.

It depends on which graphics card port the graphics driver is outputting the full signal to.......you may have to switch ports (typically to the port nearest the MOBO) to get on-the-fly resolution switching.....alternatively, you may have to sort out the correct NVCAP values in the Info.plist of your graphics injector kext, or as part of the graphics string.......