GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

Thanks a bunch breakingbad, I sorted out the boot hassle. Now I have another problem when updating to 10.6.2 from my current 10.6. I did follow your instruction to remove 2 files SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from Extra/Extensions folder then update to 10.6.2 but I still got the kernel panic and couldn't log in to the OS. I look it up on netkas and it seems to be another step b4 that, I quote from them:

"Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example – NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra mkext and reboot, of course if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.

Make backup of your kexts, you might need some.

Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.

Hit the update button, if you need to edit some kexts AFTER update and BEFORE reboot – download and install update from apple site."

I just can't download the file NullCPUPM.kext from them.

How did you do to get the 10.6.2 update? Did you update from 10.6 or 10.6.1? I'm just afraid that I'm gonna get the kernel panic again and it won't let me boot into the OS.

Oh and the 2 files for the sound don't work for me so I might try to figure it out another way.

Thanks a bunch breakingbad, I sorted out the boot hassle. Now I have another problem when updating to 10.6.2 from my current 10.6. I did follow your instruction to remove 2 files SleepEnabler.kext and dsmos.kext from Extra/Extensions folder then update to 10.6.2 but I still got the kernel panic and couldn't log in to the OS. I look it up on netkas and it seems to be another step b4 that, I quote from them:

I just can't download the file NullCPUPM.kext from them.

How did you do to get the 10.6.2 update? Did you update from 10.6 or 10.6.1? I'm just afraid that I'm gonna get the kernel panic again and it won't let me boot into the OS.

Oh and the 2 files for the sound don't work for me so I might try to figure it out another way.

Well, when I faced the problem on updating to 10.6.2 I just deleted the 2 mentioned files and everything went normal again. The SleepEnabler.kext you can put it back, but the version that netkas developed for Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Have you checked you Extra/Extensions folder to see if you have the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in it? This is the reference that netkas says. Here's the file

About sound files, did you installed it via KextHelper b7 or you just added them to some folder? It's necessary to install it and reboot system, if you don't do that, it won't work. :)

-> These are the files I have in my Extra/Extensions folder. Take a look.

post-223908-1263841437_thumb.png

Cheers.

bb.

Thanks again breakingbad, I'm on 10.6.2 now and got my sound working so I believe this could be the last problem that I need help with.

After updating to 10.6.2, every time I restart or start up my Hackintosh I always get a CMOS Checksum error, is there a way to fix this? I use Chameleon RC4 installer but it doesn't help.

And could you kindly give me the hex string of the 8800GT 512MB, I can't use EFI studio to copy the hex string to the apple.com boot list. And my option for the display is now limited to one resolution only compare to more options that I had with 10.6

Regards!

Thanks again breakingbad, I'm on 10.6.2 now and got my sound working so I believe this could be the last problem that I need help with.

After updating to 10.6.2, every time I restart or start up my Hackintosh I always get a CMOS Checksum error, is there a way to fix this? I use Chameleon RC4 installer but it doesn't help.

And could you kindly give me the hex string of the 8800GT 512MB, I can't use EFI studio to copy the hex string to the apple.com boot list. And my option for the display is now limited to one resolution only compare to more options that I had with 10.6

Regards!

HI iTravis.

Here is the hex for your GFX card.

About CMOS, you're maybe facing a CMOS reset. I need to check why this is happening to you. Don't remember so well what causes a CMOS reset. Give some minutes so I can do a little research about it and come up with the solution for this issue.

Mate, check this to see if solves your problem on CMOS.

Cheers.

bb.

Thanks breaking bad, I got the graphic card driver working now. But for the CMOS I can't still fix it, tried the method you gave me and reset the CMOS but still doesn't work but I guess that doesn't bother me that much.

Once again my appreciation for all the work and help. :)

Thanks breaking bad, I got the graphic card driver working now. But for the CMOS I can't still fix it, tried the method you gave me and reset the CMOS but still doesn't work but I guess that doesn't bother me that much.

Once again my appreciation for all the work and help. :rolleyes:

Your problem with CMOS checksum error is a little bit annoying and needs to be investigated.

Have you OCd your processor?

I'm asking that because this mobo, when you increase the clock of CPU, automatically the clock of RAM memory changes too, so you need to fit memory clock after adjusting CPU clock on OC. That's causes the BIOS to reset and this can happens to you and maybe causing CMOS to cause checksum error. I'm not quite sure, it's more a guess. But it worth a try. :)

EDIT - Entry 1

Hi Travis.

I have news to your CMOS problem.

May be related to your DSDT.aml that needs to be modified in the RTC section, right?

Take a look here at verdant's guide on nForce chipset based mobos but the process is the same for any mobo that needs a moded DSDT file.

Look for section B of the guide. Title: Generating and modifying the DSDT.aml file specifically for your MOBO.

Cheers.

bb.

I was messing around with SteerMouse and VoodooPS2Controller and I accidentally deleted a couple files like ApplePS2Nub, Legacy.....in the System\Library\Extension folder and now I can't boot into Mac OS. B) It just stops at the apple logo loading screen. Guess I have to take out the HD and copy those files back into the folder.

By the way I checked my Extra folder and I only have 2 files apple.boot and another I don't remember, don't know why the others and the Extension folder disappear.

If you can send me what you have in your Extra folder so I can put into mine, do you think that will work?

I was messing around with SteerMouse and VoodooPS2Controller and I accidentally deleted a couple files like ApplePS2Nub, Legacy.....in the System\Library\Extension folder and now I can't boot into Mac OS. :( It just stops at the apple logo loading screen. Guess I have to take out the HD and copy those files back into the folder.

By the way I checked my Extra folder and I only have 2 files apple.boot and another I don't remember, don't know why the others and the Extension folder disappear.

If you can send me what you have in your Extra folder so I can put into mine, do you think that will work?

I'd suggest you to make a fresh install untill you really know if what you're messing with. The first install are quite hard, but take that as knowledge. Before I get a fully working rock solid system, I made lots and lots of reinstalls. Every time you mess something up, it's better to get everything new. Fresh install is always the best way in my opinion.

Here is the files of my Extra Folder, including Extensions.

Cheers.

bb.

Yeh I had to reinstall the whole thing since something got mess up and I couldn't boot. Anyway do you know is it okay if I just put stuff in your Extra folder into mine? And those are what you have with 10.6.2 right? By the way what program do you use for your mouse and keyboard, I tried Steer Mouse but I think it has something to do with the booting process so I'm looking for an alternative. And when I install the 2 kexts for sound, it says 4 files "AppleACHIport, ApplePS2Controller, and ApplePS2Nub...and another file weren't install correctly, did you have that problem?

Yeh I had to reinstall the whole thing since something got mess up and I couldn't boot. Anyway do you know is it okay if I just put stuff in your Extra folder into mine? And those are what you have with 10.6.2 right? By the way what program do you use for your mouse and keyboard, I tried Steer Mouse but I think it has something to do with the booting process so I'm looking for an alternative. And when I install the 2 kexts for sound, it says 4 files "AppleACHIport, ApplePS2Controller, and ApplePS2Nub...and another file weren't install correctly, did you have that problem?

Hi mate.

While the learning process the best thing to do is always to start with a fresh install of the system.

Well, you may not need some of the files I have in my Extra/Extensions folder, unless you have exactly same hardware as mine. There are some basic files you must have in the folder, and this files can be checked in the post by Gurujee in the begin of the thread.

When I was using my Microsoft keyboard, didn't need any special app to run it. Just plugged into the USB port and voilá. I decided to install some apps from Microsoft to get it working better, but it wasn't necessary at all.

Nope. Never had problem with any of the files you detailed.

Cheers.

bb.

Yeh that's what I thought too, if I don't have any problems then I probably shouldn't put in my Extra folder. Regarding the mouse, I notice that after I install Steer Mouse the mouse works better than the default setting, it just flies through the desktop as smooth as butter :D, but I'm afraid it will get mess up again so I keep holding my breath and try to find another. For the BIOS checksum error thing, it doesn't seem to be bother me that much (I just have to hit enter to reboot again when reboot or startup) so I guess I can live with it.

Anyway thank you so much for being very helpful, breakingbad. Now it's time to play around with my new hackintosh. Do you have any apps that you recommend to play around for fun?

Yeh that's what I thought too, if I don't have any problems then I probably shouldn't put in my Extra folder. Regarding the mouse, I notice that after I install Steer Mouse the mouse works better than the default setting, it just flies through the desktop as smooth as butter :D, but I'm afraid it will get mess up again so I keep holding my breath and try to find another. For the BIOS checksum error thing, it doesn't seem to be bother me that much (I just have to hit enter to reboot again when reboot or startup) so I guess I can live with it.

Anyway thank you so much for being very helpful, breakingbad. Now it's time to play around with my new hackintosh. Do you have any apps that you recommend to play around for fun?

You´re welcome mate. I feel good helping people, since I got help in the very begin too.

About the mouse issue, could you tell me what interface your mouse is? PS2 or USB? OSX deals much better with USB interface, so you can think about buying a USB mouse. :)

I´m happy you could get your hackintosh working fine and that you´re happy with it. I believe you should be happier with you fix your CMOS checksum error. :D

Now let me go... need to find out why my computer don´t want to start. My mobo keeps giving me lots of short beeps and won´t start system... second time this happens...

Edit - Entry 1

Computer went back to normal. Just unplugged all the cables that gets out of the PSU to the mobo and it started again.

Cheers.

bb.

You´re welcome mate. I feel good helping people, since I got help in the very begin too.

About the mouse issue, could you tell me what interface your mouse is? PS2 or USB? OSX deals much better with USB interface, so you can think about buying a USB mouse. :)

I´m happy you could get your hackintosh working fine and that you´re happy with it. I believe you should be happier with you fix your CMOS checksum error. :)

Now let me go... need to find out why my computer don´t want to start. My mobo keeps giving me lots of short beeps and won´t start system... second time this happens...

Edit - Entry 1

Computer went back to normal. Just unplugged all the cables that gets out of the PSU to the mobo and it started again.

Cheers.

bb.

hi bb from my experience from computers lots of beeps means that the graphics card is not working (or motherboard cant remember which ) but sometimes can be fixed from pulling all the cables and blowing the air and dust out.

also should i follow this guide to install retail snow leopard on my ud3l thanks

hi bb from my experience from computers lots of beeps means that the graphics card is not working (or motherboard cant remember which ) but sometimes can be fixed from pulling all the cables and blowing the air and dust out.

also should i follow this guide to install retail snow leopard on my ud3l thanks

Yeah. Sorted this issue out just pulling out the cables and letting the computer turned off for a while. :D Thanks for the tip.

Sometimes when I turn my computer off for a cleaning I have troubles putting it back to work.

Yeah. This guide is very simple and easy to follow.

When you start reading it you'll see that some people have trouble with the Boot Disk provided by Gurujee but you can have the one provided by verdant that works best with the install. If you need anything you can count on me. I'll be glad to help you with it.

Cheers,

bb.

Yeah. Sorted this issue out just pulling out the cables and letting the computer turned off for a while. ;) Thanks for the tip.

Sometimes when I turn my computer off for a cleaning I have troubles putting it back to work.

Yeah. This guide is very simple and easy to follow.

When you start reading it you'll see that some people have trouble with the Boot Disk provided by Gurujee but you can have the one provided by verdant that works best with the install. If you need anything you can count on me. I'll be glad to help you with it.

Cheers,

bb.

well because i have an ide dvd rom i would like to boot from usb which i saw you could on the tutorial but i get confused when it says install the snow bootloader. where can i get this or do i just drag the files from the cd to the usb thanks

well because i have an ide dvd rom i would like to boot from usb which i saw you could on the tutorial but i get confused when it says install the snow bootloader. where can i get this or do i just drag the files from the cd to the usb thanks

Hi. My DVD rom is IDE too and had no problem with it.

I believe it will be much better using the DVD rom... it's simpler...

Take this little guide as reference...

1 - Download the verdant BootDVD132 for this mobo;

2 - Record OSX dvd as slow as you can.

3 - Boot from the verdant's DVD and wait to load it and follow instructions on screen;

4 - Install system;

5 - Change to the Boot DVD again to start system;

6 - Install Chameleon 2 RC4 or 3 Bootloader into the HDD where you installed SL

7 - Copy the Extra/Extensions folder to the root of your system

8 - Voilá. System is installed and booting right from the HDD...

Any doubts you can contact me.

EDIT - Entry 1: How to Enable QuartzExtreme and Core Image manually

You can enable Quartz Extreme without installing anything by typing commands in the Terminal.

Check if Quartz Extreme is enabled:

sudo -s
defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor

If it is enabled, you should read:

{tileHeight = 256; tileWidth = 256; }

You can enable Quartz Extreme without installing anything by typing the following from the command line:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver GLCompositor -dict tileHeight -int 256 tileWidth -int 256

Kill loginwindow (or restart) for changes to take effect:

kill `ps ax | grep loginwindow | grep -v grep | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]]*//' | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]].*//'`

P.S. - You all can see original post right here

Cheers.

bb.

I'm glad you sorted out the problem breakingbad :) Anyway I tried to install the Photoshop trial but it won't let me, I went to google it and found out all Adobe products don't support partition with Case-sensitive format. So is it okay to reinstall using Non-case sensitive format? I remember in the instruction said that I have to use Case-sensitive Journal format so I'm not sure if I do otherwise it's gonna work. Do you have experience with this?

I'm glad you sorted out the problem breakingbad :( Anyway I tried to install the Photoshop trial but it won't let me, I went to google it and found out all Adobe products don't support partition with Case-sensitive format. So is it okay to reinstall using Non-case sensitive format? I remember in the instruction said that I have to use Case-sensitive Journal format so I'm not sure if I do otherwise it's gonna work. Do you have experience with this?

Hi Travis.

Yeah, I'm glad too. :P

I use this computer to work, so I get it stopped, I loose money. :P

About the Adobe products, I faced a little issue yesterday when reinstalling it to system. But was nothing related to Case Sensitive of the partition format. It was related to Quartz Extremes / Core Image being enabled. Just that.

In your specific case, I can tell you from my simple OSX knowledge, that SL deals better with a HDD formatted as GPT and you should use the option Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as mine is here.

Take a look at this:

post-223908-1264510676_thumb.png

An remember one thing that's really nice: everytime you feel there's something wrong with your system, at least in this very begin, erase everything and start from a fresh install. This way get familiarized with the install process and start to get to know how system behaves in many different cases.

Cheers,

bb.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm well im stuck on the booting bit. i have an ide drive and the boot cd doesnt work in the first post by grujee. so i tried the 132bootdisk V2 by verdant but then it boots fine and it runs a few commands but then stops on mounting done and im not sure what to do after this. and then i alss tried the 123bootdisk V# but it cant find the linux kernel or something so im kinda stuck

any help

hmmm well im stuck on the booting bit. i have an ide drive and the boot cd doesnt work in the first post by grujee. so i tried the 132bootdisk V2 by verdant but then it boots fine and it runs a few commands but then stops on mounting done and im not sure what to do after this. and then i alss tried the 123bootdisk V# but it cant find the linux kernel or something so im kinda stuck

any help

please someone help

no one looks at this thread anymore :rolleyes:

please someone help

no one looks at this thread anymore ;)

Hi there.

Have you recorded the 132boot disk from verdant into a DVD disk?

It's necessary to burn it into a dvd media.

And describe your problem with more detailed information, please, so we can provide more detailed help. ;)

Cheers,

bb.

Hi there.

Have you recorded the 132boot disk from verdant into a DVD disk?

It's necessary to burn it into a dvd media.

And describe your problem with more detailed information, please, so we can provide more detailed help. :)

Cheers,

bb.

well i got it to boot and i push f5 after i insert the snow leopard disk but then when i push enter it comes up witht he chameleon thing but then shows a little no entry box thing

what can i do

well i got it to boot and i push f5 after i insert the snow leopard disk but then when i push enter it comes up witht he chameleon thing but then shows a little no entry box thing

what can i do

Could you please post some pics about this issue?

I just can't "see" what you're talking about. :wacko:

Well, in fact you just can't push enter before Snow Leopard disk is loaded.

You need to enter some flags. I would say to you to type:

arch=i386 -v -f

I believe that using this code you'll be able to boot fine into Snow Leopard.

When you're installing it for the first time, it's necessary to use this. After everything is installed fine, you probably won't need it anymore. It's just a installation process.

Cheers,

bb.

HI i have some questions about mac installation ;)

Well mate, you're welcome.

Feel free to post your doubts, questions and more.

Two things is very important here:

1st - Post your specs in signature so it would be easier to get help in forum;

2nd - Take a very nice look at earlier posts, mainly first post, because your questions and doubts could be already answer in this posts.

Said that, be welcome to this thread, that is not mine, but I've been supporting people here as well as I can...

Cheers,

bb.

Hi,

I would like to ask a question related to the boot132 cd. Preboot.dmg takes 10MB space. I reduced the image file to 1MB using hdiutil.

hdiutil create -megabytes 1 preboot.dmg -fs HFS+

The boot132 cd starts up much faster. What do you think this method has any disadvantages?

I would be grateful for any help!