GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

<br />Lifehacker guide works great on my Sony Vaio CR490. The only problem I have is not able to display the "About This Mac" When clicking on it, the screen flashes for a second or two and then it takes me back to the Desktop.<br /><br />Anyone knows how fix this?<br /><br />thanks<br />
<br /><br /><br />

...To clarify? Yer killin me Smalls!

THIS installer/guide is for THE LIFEHACKER BUILD ONLY!!!

Get it? As in, if you need general OSx86 installation help post in ANOTHER Thread.

Surely someone can help you, but understand that this is designed for these parts son, not some Sony

got idle sleep working now. I think it takes a little longer than the set 10 minutes, but at least it works! I just did another install.

I have a similar issue in automatic sleep. Do you mean you reinstalled the version 2 boot loader? or whole SL?

I'll be releasing another package here soon enough. Some issues with 10.6.2 and sleep. Not a huge deal.

-Stell

Will a clean install be needed? or can I run it over your pumpkin installer?

I have a similar issue in automatic sleep. Do you mean you reinstalled the version 2 boot loader? or whole SL?

I started from scratch and reinstalled everything.

I was having problems with the 10.6.1 seeing my Lite-on Blu Ray drive (see my sig for the model if you are interested). It would always show up in the system profile, but it would become inactive after a while. I finally decided to monkey with the SATA ports. I unplugged the drive from ICH10 (Intel) port ~5 or so and put it on JMICRON (Purple) port 0. Upon reboot, it was detected... I threw a disc in... voila... could see it. [snip]

Well, not sure if this will help others, but I have learned quite a bit in the last week or so about my optical drive issues. I installed Windows 7, primarily so I could use AnyDVD... during install, Win7 told me that a driver was missing for the CD/DVD (funny since I was using that drive to install). Looking on the net, people reported this problem with badly burned ISO of release candidates. I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 on the day of release so I really figured that was not an issue. I put the Blu Ray drive onto the ICH10R SATA (Orange) connectors and it worked for install. I then moved it back to Jmicron (purple) and Windows stopped seeing it... funny since OSX which isn't "supposed" to work on these boards can see it! So much for Windows vs. OSX with respect to compatibility. Anyway, the drive seems to appear and disappear in general. If anyone has issues with JMicron and Windows and during the course of install, it is no longer seen at all, you may need to clear the CMOS on the board using the jumpers... I had to... check your mobo manual for doing this, though.

In the end, I found this interesting tidbit that may help explain the problem

http://www.makemkv.com/osxmmc/

Basically, this says that BD-ROM drives are not given direct access in OSX... if it could at least burn CDs or DVDs, then OSX would give it direct access... I have to wonder if a read only drive could be the problem. I will have to buy a new drive I guess and sell the other one to someone. This is the one thing that seems to be a problem for my system. I have had one stall when rebooting from Win7 to Snow Leopard. It was a remote restart (logmein) so maybe that contributed... or maybe Windows 7 just sucks badly and leaves demons in a system that only a cold reboot can eliminate!

Anyway... just my 2 cents... hope this helps someone else solve similar problems!

Just did the build. Works absolutely perfect! A lot better than my hackintosh build 3 years ago. thanks Stella and crew!

One question... will raid 0 work on the jmicron ports? I'd love to set up two raided raptors to use as a scratch disk for Photoshop.

A couple of questions:

- will an Nvidia gts 250 or gtx 260 work OK with the Halloween installer?

- would I have any issues trying to move over a Parallels Win XP virtual machine from my iMac running 10.5.8 to this SL hackintosh?

thanks!

Hi - any thoughts on my two questions above?

Has anybody had success using the newer Nvidia videocards in this Lifehacker configuration?

thanks

Thank you for the guide...it works on my ep45-ud3p with an Intel quad core 6600.

My only problem is that Temperature Monitor does not show the motherboard temperatures. When I was on leopard, the MB temps displayed.

Is there a patch/fix?

Thanks.

So I need help pin pointing my problem. So I have exact replica of Lifehacker build. Everything ran great for a day. Then random freezes and now computer POSTs weird.

1. Computer will POST until "AHCI is installed" - then nothing. Reset.

2. Computer will POST until "Memory 8312302398 ok" "Memory loaded on Dual Channel" or whatever - Then nothing. Reset.

3. Computer will fire up correctly all systems a go then freeze. Nothing.

The funny thing is this is after I have already fixed CPU overheating issue, Hard drive that I thought was failing so installed on new Western Digital 1 TB HD everything went smoothly. But now this issue. I have also tested Memory (RAM).

I have read all 19+ pages of this, and am very interested in working on and buying the supplies for this build. I was wondering if anyone who has theirs working has been able to get the virtualization to work in either parallels or VMware fusion? I still run quite a few programs on windows exclusively so I was curious as to how that experience has gone.

Otherwise, keep up the good work to those who have contributed, very interesting to read what things come up and how they have been fixed!

I have read all 19+ pages of this, and am very interested in working on and buying the supplies for this build. I was wondering if anyone who has theirs working has been able to get the virtualization to work in either parallels or VMware fusion? I still run quite a few programs on windows exclusively so I was curious as to how that experience has gone.

Otherwise, keep up the good work to those who have contributed, very interesting to read what things come up and how they have been fixed!

yes this works great! I use vmware daily and keep it open most of the week. (windows xp)

aw7v9d.jpg

Hi IM forum. My first post, first hack and first pc build.

Thank you Stell for your hard work and help on this.

I have the exact lifehacker build except for a lian li case w/550w PS, a WD 250GB SATA and 8 GB of ram.

I am having the same issue as folks at the very start of this thread (post #4). After booting I cannot get past the "verifying DMI Pool Data".

I've read this whole thread and see the same problem pop up with others but no solutions have worked for me so far.

When running the halloween or the earlier no hack patches I am not getting the 'extras' folder on my thumb drive install.

When I try the terminal method I get hung up at the "sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskxxx" and get a message that the device is in use. I do get an 'extras' folder even with the error message though. The terminal patch also get hung up at 'verifying DMI pool data"

I am preparing the thumb drive (8gb CF card in USD card reader) on a G5 running 10.4.11. My next plan is to use a machine running 10.5 to prepare the thumb drive. I also tried a bus powered USB HDD with no luck.

I saw a post about updating the BIOS to fix this but then another post saying it caused KP so I'm not flashing the BIOS but staying at "FB" .

I've checked my BIOS settings and they are exactly as the screen captures except my CPU Vcore is 1.30000 instaead of 1.23750.

Any Idea how to fix the "verifying DMI Pool Data" issue?

Does the thumb drive AND the final HDD install NEED to be 'case sensitive" extended journaled? (eta: i read at lifehacker that it doesn't need to be case sensitive)

When i format my 8GB thumb drive I get 128MB unused space after partitioning to 1 partition, is this normal? (eta: didn't seem to affect anything)

Everytime I try to (unsuccesfully) run the stella patch I have been Re-formatting the thumbdrive and recopying the SL installer onto it. Then I try the stella patch again on the new copy of SL. Is this the best way or can I run the stella patch or the terminal commands over and over on the same SL thumdrive install?

I'm off to try the Halloween patch on a new machine running 10.5

ETA: the 9800 GTX is pretty loud. If you plan on doing less intensive graphics then maybe the heat sink cooled 9800 card would be better.

ETA 2: **SOLVED - installing the halloween patch using an intel macbook and 10.5 worked fine and installed the extras folder and everything. My old G5 and 10.4 didn't work. On to the installation :(

I am having the same issue as folks at the very start of this thread (post #4). After booting I cannot get past the "verifying DMI Pool Data".

When running the halloween or the earlier no hack patches I am not getting the 'extras' folder on my thumb drive install.

I saw a post about updating the BIOS to fix this but then another post saying it caused KP so I'm not flashing the BIOS but staying at "FB" .

==

Does the thumb drive AND the final HDD install NEED to be 'case sensitive" extended journaled?

Glad you are pounding away at this - I am sure you will find it worthwhile.

1) Both the Thumb drive AND the HDD MUST to be Partitioned as GUID ( NOT APM ) since you are going to be booting an Intel Machine. I don't remember this being an option on a Non-Intel Mac even if running Leopard, but then again I don't have one to check out at the moment. So you MAY need to do this formatting from an Intel Mac.

2) The Format should be "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" Do not use 'case sensitive', it can and probably will lead to issues with a multitude of programs that do not expect it. All Intel macs come from the factory as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)"

3) When you get the above issues resolved, then you need to verify that you are getting the "Extra" folder and its content at the root level of your Thumb drive AND the invisible (in my case ) "boot" file also at the root level of both drives. ( you can use the terminal to verify this if you don't have a utility to make invisibles visible )

I had to use the terminal method since the original installer wasn't creating the folder and the file... THEN I used the Halloween version of the installer and it updated the files to the later versions.

4) FB is the BIOS to use from what I have read - don't 'fix' it....

I hope this helps... We are lucky to have a great community and to have Stellarola who has been doing the heavy lifting for us.

••• It looks like you solved your problem ! Great !

For those who are getting this so called " "verifying DMI Pool Data".

So you have successfully booted from the USB installer? Than completed the installation of OSX?

Now you try to boot from the installation on your HDD and you get this " "verifying DMI Pool Data". ???

Is that what you are saying?

or

Are you saying you get "verifying DMI Pool Data" when booting off the prepared USB drive?

"verifying DMI Pool Data" usually points to either:

A) You are not telling the BIOS to boot from a bootable device. (Point it at the USB if installing, if not, make sure you ran the installer on the HD)

:whistle: Your Drive is not setup properly/it might not like the port the HD is plugged into

Everything is still running awesomely here. Only "glitch" I have seen so far is that I can't minimize any window to the dock my doubling clicking the title bar. Any ideas on why?

For the minimizing of the windows, did you try enabling that? It's disabled by default in Snow Leopard.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? I have the exact same set up as described in the Life Hacker guide. I set my BIOS the way that Adam has it set up and when I go to boot up I receive a flashing "/" in the top left corner and then this appears. Any thoughts?

post-512695-1256824890_thumb.jpg

Lright, took my own advice and Googled it.

It does sound like an OSX specific installation problem.

How are you setup? Are you using the recommended HD?

Where is it plugged into?

How did you make the USB stick? Did you follow the backup of the retail DVD

as described?