GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Been running this setup ever since the guide first came out. No issues at all. Except: Apple aluminum keyboard won't wake the machine from sleep, but a mouse click will. Other more generic usb keyboards will wake from sleep without issue. Any suggestions? Oh, this is with the keyboard plugged directly into the rear ports, no hub or anything in the way.

Also, Stell, can I run the halloween app on my already installed system? Do I need to manually move the existing Extras folder first? Your suggestions would be very helpful, and thank you for such a great resource and package!

Regards.

Just delete the /Extras folder first before running the update.

I have the UD3P motherboard with mostly the same setup, but a Saphire 1GB 4870. Using the Halloween installer I seem to have things mostly working except that video. I freeze up on the grey apple screen. I can hear the intro video playing and then the commands for Voice Over, but my screen stays locked. I assume that this is because the Halloween installer is set for NVidea cards. I've read Stell's comments about ATI "not playing nice", but Apple sells Mac Pros with the 4870 card, so it can't be that bad. In the SL boot disk, if I run the System Profiler the card is recognized, but I'm stuck. Will this require a DSDT edit? I've tried everything I can think of. Any help? Thanks in advance.

It really is that bad. You'll need to edit the kexts info.plist to ad your device id.

-Stell

Running "Chess" and clicking anywhere on the board causes a kernel panic. This seems to happen sometimes with hackintoshes and I haven't noticed any other instability.

I have exactly the same problem and need to figure out how to get into 32bit mode without it failing on me to test it in that environment. Will try and test more tonight...

Hello.

Since I had same hardwares as guide from LifeHackers I decided to give OSX a try.

My hardwares are as follow...

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Revision 1.1 Bios F9?

Intel Q6600 @ 3GHz (About this Mac detect as Quad Core Intel Xeon)

2x2GB DDR2 800MHz

Bunch of Serial ATA HDDs

Samsung DVDRW SATA

ATi Radeon 4890 1GB PCIe

SnowLeopard installed to my test HDD (2.5" 5400RPM 20GB) plugged into Gigabyte's SerialATA port.

Built the USB drive with OSX 10.6 + Stell's Installer v2

Everything seems to be working on first try. I guess I am not getting a proper use from the ATi Radeon as I can't even play YouTube HD videos full screen smoothly. I decided to test a YouTube HD video I have downloaded with the QuickTime player that is included with Snow Leopard and full screen playback is very choppy. Yet using QuickTime 7 to playback same video is smooth on full screen.

Also, I have a dual display setup. 24" as main & 20" as secondary in portrait mode. Problem is there is no rotation option available under display for me to rotate my secondary display.

Finally, I didn't even bother changing any of my BIOS settings other than making sure all serial ata port are set to AHCI.

I have this configuration except for the 2.83 GHz processor instead of the 3.0. For some reason, my processor is only showing up as 2.07 GHz. This is both in Snow Leopard as well as in the BIOS. I have disabled anything in the BIOS that tries to adjust the CPU based on conditions and this didn't fix anything. It's showing 6x333 in the BIOS. Even if I bump it up to 8x333, this still doesn't get to where it should be.

Is the processor defective or is there a logical explanation for this? Any input is greatly appreciated.

It really is that bad. You'll need to edit the kexts info.plist to ad your device id.

-Stell

I hate to expose myself as a total noob, but I don't know how to do that. Since Stell's time is clearly valuable, is there anyone else that could give me a hand or at least point me in the right direction? TIA!

I was finally able to get this working this morning, but only when the machine stopped recognizing my second HD. I purchased an additional drive because I was going to mirror them after install, but as long as the machine would see that extra drive, it would just sit there on the apple screen for as long as I would let it. Now that the Mac OSX is working, I can't get the second drive to come up.

I should say that I tried installing to a mirrored setup that I used the Disk Util to create, that failed so I used Disk Util to remove the RAID set and now that first drive shows up in the hardware test after POST as it could not be verified. Any ideas?

Also, my DVD-ROM worked with the keyboard eject button, but since then it has been totally unresponsive. Anyone had this problem?

BTW, I am using the exact hardware specified on LH with the exception of the additional 1TB drive.

Stell,

I just want to confirm, temps went lower with v2 installer because cpu power management is now not done in the OS. How does this work? Is stepping supported with your v2 installer?

I'm just curious. I ordered a better cooler as I'm going to OC my 2.8 C2Q to 3.4 later this week.

Thanks.

-Ed

Thanks to all who helped out -- especially stellaroa. I've never built a computer before, but have successfully now.

Few small details -- the procedure to make a boot flash drive was slightly different than lifehacker's guide. I can't remember how I did it, so that's not really useful. :(

My experience is that it is important to use the video connection nearest the motherboard. I was getting endless blue screens. This was mentioned a couple days ago in this thread, but it took me a while to find it.

I'm using the Q9550 -- I assume that this is the reason why I can't use the 9x multiplier in the BIOS. My real speed is 2.66MHz with the 8x multiplier. I will continue trying to change it in BIOS.

Relatively quiet with the case fan set to low. I'm used to a Mac Mini, so I notice any noise. Wake from sleep only works with a press of the front panel power button. USB on front panel doesn't work, but that is probably my assembly error. I believe that everything else works fine.

All in all, I'm very happy.

edit: Q9550, same memory, mobo, nic, video card, case as Lifehacker reccomendatio, used Halloween installer

Something that everyone might want ( if you don't have it already :( ) is Temperature Monitor by Marcel Bresink.

The link is:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

I am getting my HD temp and all 4 cores of the processor showing up. ( command-shift-U will force the update so you will see the temps faster on the first run )

This could be especially important for a fresh install to be sure that your heat sink is seated properly without resorting to booting back into the BIOS.

Cheers!

Still having issues with the Ethernet. On board Ethernet is not working for me. The Rc-400 Ethernet card is also not working for me. Wireless Belkin N150 not working for me. I have the life hacker system with 4gb of ram. I am using version 2 Stellas Snow Leopard Halloween install.

Networking tab in OS shows only firewire in System Preferences.

Still having issues with the Ethernet. On board Ethernet is not working for me. The Rc-400 Ethernet card is also not working for me. Wireless Belkin N150 not working for me. I have the life hacker system with 4gb of ram. I am using version 2 Stellas Snow Leopard Halloween install.

Networking tab in OS shows only firewire in System Preferences.

That's a natively supported card, do you have it plugged in the lowest PCI slot? The installer is set up to expect it there.

-Ed

Hi everyone. I've read through all the posts thus far so I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been asked.

First off, here's my setup. I have a GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard, a trendnet NIC in the lower pci slot, 5GB of ram, a nvidia 9400 and a couple of sata hard drives and dvd burners.

Everything is working using the install method from the lifehacker article and the halloween release of EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package except the microphone and my USB webcams.

It seems everyone else has their mics working so I'm wondering why I'm having trouble here. I do have the case headphone and mic jack plugged into the motherboard and I have tried plugging the mic into the front panel as well as the back panel and either way, no dice.

The USB camera that I'm trying to use worked just fine under leopard on a different hackintosh system, no hacks involved, no macam, it just worked.

Now it's showing up in System Profiler but that's about it. I have tried plugging it into lots of different USB ports including the ones on the back of the motherboard, a hub, the front case, you name it. The most I can get out of it is some garbled lines in macam's main app.

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these?

Hi everyone. I've read through all the posts thus far so I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been asked.

First off, here's my setup. I have a GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard, a trendnet NIC in the lower pci slot, 5GB of ram, a nvidia 9400 and a couple of sata hard drives and dvd burners.

Everything is working using the install method from the lifehacker article and the halloween release of EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package except the microphone and my USB webcams.

It seems everyone else has their mics working so I'm wondering why I'm having trouble here. I do have the case headphone and mic jack plugged into the motherboard and I have tried plugging the mic into the front panel as well as the back panel and either way, no dice.

The USB camera that I'm trying to use worked just fine under leopard on a different hackintosh system, no hacks involved, no macam, it just worked.

Now it's showing up in System Profiler but that's about it. I have tried plugging it into lots of different USB ports including the ones on the back of the motherboard, a hub, the front case, you name it. The most I can get out of it is some garbled lines in macam's main app.

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these?

I'm a total idiot at all of this...but stell's got a list of compatible hardware here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/17087638...atible-hardware

maybe that helps?

I'm using the Q9550 -- I assume that this is the reason why I can't use the 9x multiplier in the BIOS. My real speed is 2.66MHz with the 8x multiplier. I will continue trying to change it in BIOS.

I'm using the Q9550 no problem. ABout this mac and every other utility shows 2.83.

I'm a total idiot at all of this...but stell's got a list of compatible hardware here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/17087638...atible-hardware

maybe that helps?

I have a Plantronics headset that comes with USB audio (headphone n mic jack plug into USB stick) and it works fine.

Using the AC'97 header to front audio doesn't work. Looking at the mobo manual

you change the board to AC'97 from HD audio output with one of it's Software utilities in Winblows.

(Unless there's a setting in the BIOS I missed)

I'm using the Q9550 no problem. ABout this mac and every other utility shows 2.83.

I have a Plantronics headset that comes with USB audio (headphone n mic jack plug into USB stick) and it works fine.

Using the AC'97 header to front audio doesn't work. Looking at the mobo manual

you change the board to AC'97 from HD audio output with one of it's Software utilities in Winblows.

(Unless there's a setting in the BIOS I missed)

Most, if not all modern cases come with a AC'97/HD Audio connector. Use the HD Audio connector. Enjoy front panel audio.

-Stell

Most, if not all modern cases come with a AC'97/HD Audio connector. Use the HD Audio connector. Enjoy front panel audio.

-Stell

Interesting, hadn't thought of that Stell. I bought a front tray piece that just had mic n headphone,

but the line does have 2 headers on it. (I assumed since the board had AC'97 written on it I should use

it that way, but I'll give the other way a shot!

Thanks!

Stell, I been lookin around to see if there's a way to trick Boot Camp into working, is there a way?

Or do I really have to do a separate HD? If so, can you point me to the direction of the bootloader?

I don't know what's doing it, but I'm sure there's info I can dig up about how to make it dual-bootable.

Interesting, hadn't thought of that Stell. I bought a front tray piece that just had mic n headphone,

but the line does have 2 headers on it. (I assumed since the board had AC'97 written on it I should use

it that way, but I'll give the other way a shot!

Thanks!

Stell, I been lookin around to see if there's a way to trick Boot Camp into working, is there a way?

Or do I really have to do a separate HD? If so, can you point me to the direction of the bootloader?

I don't know what's doing it, but I'm sure there's info I can dig up about how to make it dual-bootable.

The easiest way to run windows? Just install windows on a separate hdd.