GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Had I known so many people were going to buy this board etc, I would have gotten you all to get another one instead. :D

Maybe next time. :)

-Stell

Rofl, shoulda known.

Not that your normal advice isn't good enough to attract a large following, (It is!)

but as much exposure as you'd get on LH it was bound to happen!

I don't know how soon I'd build another, but I will surely ask you what the new LH build would be! :-)

Btw, converted a 1GB 42min 720p .mkv to a 4GB .mp4 last night in 53mins using handbrake.

God bless you! X-D

Had I known so many people were going to buy this board etc, I would have gotten you all to get another one instead. :D

-Stell

Have you considered writing a tutorial on generating a DSDT file? This might encourage the brave to experiment with another board type. I know several people waiting for DSDT files for the i5 platform so that the next gen Intel procs could be used to duplicate an 8way Mac Pro for tons less money. If I knew how you generated the file I might give it a shot - I have someone waiting, 920 in hand...

-Stell

I am sure there are many of us who are very interested in the reasons you prefer the MSI P45 Platinum and what it would take to get Snow Leopard running on this Board.

( the MB is almost the least expensive part of this build - and assuming that the RAM can be used on a better MB then a switch would only involve time; and some of us are planning a second build )

A next time can be right around the corner... :)

Thanks!

I'm a first time builder and have hit the boot wall using all of the "recommended" hardware (except for a slightly slower cpu, Q8400, and it is not overclocked) from Lifehacker. I just can't get past verifying dmi pool data. I'm using the latest EP45-UD3P installer, etc. No doubt I'm missing something as I know it has worked for others. If someone would send me a screenshot or a listing of the contents of their usb drive it might help me figure out if I've done something wrong as I've gone over the BIOS settings at least a dozen times and they are set correctly. Thanks for any other help and/or suggestions.

Mark

I am sure there are many of us who are very interested in the reasons you prefer the MSI P45 Platinum and what it would take to get Snow Leopard running on this Board.

( the MB is almost the least expensive part of this build - and assuming that the RAM can be used on a better MB then a switch would only involve time; and some of us are planning a second build )

A next time can be right around the corner... :)

Thanks!

I can write a few reasons below.

-Native ICH10 Sata port recognition. Gray Icons by default, theres no need to "fix" the removable icons. One of the only boards to do this. The Gigabyte however, does not.

-Cmos "Reset Fix" - The Gigabyte needs a "fix" to the DSDT to keep the CMOS from resetting after every reboot. The MSI doesn't need this as it was correct from the get go.

-Other Sata ports - All the SATA ports work on this board work to boot from.

-Easy Speedstep hack - As of writing this, you can easily get working speedstep on the MSI for any CPU that supported. On the Gigabyte it takes more to work, and its specific to the CPU

-Looks awesome. Go look at a picture of the MSI P45 Platinum, nuff said. :P

-No phantom virtual devices. Much easier to work with the DSDT than other boards like Gigabytes.

I can think of some other reasons, but I'll just go ahead and post a package for it later. If anyone is interested or already owns this board.

-Stell

I can write a few reasons below.

-Native ICH10 Sata port recognition. Gray Icons by default, theres no need to "fix" the removable icons. One of the only boards to do this. The Gigabyte however, does not.

-Cmos "Reset Fix" - The Gigabyte needs a "fix" to the DSDT to keep the CMOS from resetting after every reboot. The MSI doesn't need this as it was correct from the get go.

-Other Sata ports - All the SATA ports work on this board work to boot from.

-Easy Speedstep hack - As of writing this, you can easily get working speedstep on the MSI for any CPU that supported. On the Gigabyte it takes more to work, and its specific to the CPU

-Looks awesome. Go look at a picture of the MSI P45 Platinum, nuff said. :)

-No phantom virtual devices. Much easier to work with the DSDT than other boards like Gigabytes.

I can think of some other reasons, but I'll just go ahead and post a package for it later. If anyone is interested or already owns this board.

-Stell

Thanks Stell ! Awesome response ( I agree that the board looks fantastic! )

It seems like there are plenty of reasons to go with the MSI P45 Platinum. I'm looking forward to the package.

I'm a first time builder and have hit the boot wall using all of the "recommended" hardware (except for a slightly slower cpu, Q8400, and it is not overclocked) from Lifehacker. I just can't get past verifying dmi pool data. I'm using the latest EP45-UD3P installer, etc. No doubt I'm missing something as I know it has worked for others. If someone would send me a screenshot or a listing of the contents of their usb drive it might help me figure out if I've done something wrong as I've gone over the BIOS settings at least a dozen times and they are set correctly. Thanks for any other help and/or suggestions.

Mark

Mark,

I had the same issues - They were resolved by using the non-installer method to set up the USB drive as posted in LifeHacker

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

When I was checking my results from using the installer ( pre Halloween version ) I was not getting a 'boot' file or an 'Extra' folder on the USB drive. ( sometimes one or both of these may be invisible to the OS X Finder unless you have 'see invisibles' turned on via a utility ( or look using the terminal ))

I also used the non-installer method to set up my Boot Hard Drive ( I had it connected to a mac and had installed SL on it already ) Afterwards I ran the Halloween installer against the Boot Hard Drive to get the latest fixes from Stellarola . I have no idea why the installer did not work from the get go. It did do the update for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stell ! Awesome response ( I agree that the board looks fantastic! )

It seems like there are plenty of reasons to go with the MSI P45 Platinum. I'm looking forward to the package.

Mark,

I had the same issues - They were resolved by using the non-installer method to set up the USB drive as posted in LifeHacker

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

When I was checking my results from using the installer ( pre Halloween version ) I was not getting a 'boot' file or an 'Extra' folder on the USB drive. ( sometimes one or both of these may be invisible to the OS X Finder unless you have 'see invisibles' turned on via a utility ( or look using the terminal ))

I also used the non-installer method to set up my Boot Hard Drive ( I had it connected to a mac and had installed SL on it already ) Afterwards I ran the Halloween installer against the Boot Hard Drive to get the latest fixes from Stellarola . I have no idea why the installer did not work from the get go. It did do the update for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll give that a try next. I too am not seeing the boot file as pictured in the original Lifehacker post. I did like the idea of using the installer though!

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some insight.

I have mostly the same specs as the LifeHacker build:

GA EP45-UPD3P Rev 1.6 both FB and FDa Bios

Q8400 2.66Ghz

2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2 8500 CL5-5-5-15 2.0-2.1v

GeForce 98 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

WD1500HLFS VelRaptor

OptiArc DVD-RW

I am using the Halloween build.

I get KP at various points, sometimes early in the Apple splash screen, sometimes late.

KP after the initial installer screen.

The farthest I have got it to go is 30% installed.

The tough part is nothing is KP ing consistantly.

Making no changes I will get to all the above points.

Ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

Q8400 2.66Ghz

WD1500HLFS VelRaptor

OptiArc DVD-RW

I get KP at various points, sometimes early in the Apple splash screen, sometimes late.

Ideas?

Thanks

The only differences I see that might matter are the DVD and HD.

Unplug the DVD from the board as a test. The HD, what port is it plugged into?

Make sure the mobo is using FB firmware, others have mentioned how terrible FDa is.

Other than that I almost wonder if your SL backup was bad.

The only differences I see that might matter are the DVD and HD.

Unplug the DVD from the board as a test. The HD, what port is it plugged into?

Make sure the mobo is using FB firmware, others have mentioned how terrible FDa is.

Other than that I almost wonder if your SL backup was bad.

I tried without DVD...no luck.

The HD is on port 0 of 6.

Tried multiple SL restores.

Going to try purple ports, diff. RAM, diff. HD, different USB drive.

The odd part is that the KP will be at different points with the same HW over multiple install tries.

The odd part is that the KP will be at different points with the same HW over multiple install tries.

Try the USB drive in different ports first.

Maybe it's losing connection?

Then like you said, try a different drive.

Hell this sounds like a Winblows install! ;-p

ps,.... go into the BIOS and let the machine sit a good while.

Then check the CPU temp. (BIOS always runs systems hot)

Maybe the heatsink isn't set properly and it's overheating at different times?

Speaking of BIOS only have one on it, FB.

It sounds like more of a hardware issue. Please do test.

I have installed the same spec as lifehacker. Everything works perfectly. Only problem is that after sleep, I can wake up from sleep by both keyboard and mouse, but keyboard isn't working after sleep.

I tried both enable and disable USB keyboard and USB mouse on Bios. Both way, my keyboard isn't working after restart.

Can some one help?

I have installed the same spec as lifehacker. Everything works perfectly. Only problem is that after sleep, I can wake up from sleep by both keyboard and mouse, but keyboard isn't working after sleep.

I tried both enable and disable USB keyboard and USB mouse on Bios. Both way, my keyboard isn't working after restart.

Can some one help?

Further to my problem above. after SL wakes up, USB keyboard isn't working. If I unplug and plug in again, it will work. any one facing this problem. any solution?

Hi,

Q8400 2.66Ghz

WD1500HLFS VelRaptor

OptiArc DVD-RW

Ideas?

Thanks

The FDa BIOS will definitely give KPs. I have installed numerous builds using LH method and FB BIOS.

The FDa BIOS will definitely give KPs. I have installed numerous builds using LH method and FB BIOS.

Success, thanks to you all.

There seems to be a issue with the RAM.

On suggestion I reflashed Bios to FB and I swapped in DDR2 800 RAM. Worked first time.

Upgraded to 10.6.1 with no problems.

I have onboard eNet, sound, but firewire seems to not be working. System info can't find it.

Ideas?

Success, thanks to you all.

There seems to be a issue with the RAM.

On suggestion I reflashed Bios to FB and I swapped in DDR2 800 RAM. Worked first time.

Upgraded to 10.6.1 with no problems.

I have onboard eNet, sound, but firewire seems to not be working. System info can't find it.

Ideas?

Have you verified that it is turned on (Onboard H/W 1394 - Enabled ) in the BIOS ?

( All it says in my OS X System Profiler is:

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec )

Other than that... Make sure that the cable and the device are working on another machine.

Hope this helps.

Followed the lifehacker guide and everything more or less works. Using on-board ethernet and a 7300LE graphics card.

After install, my CPU was running too hot--as if at 100% all the time. I found and installed a 64-bit version of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext which solved the problem. (As verified by Temperature Monitor, great app!)

Sleep causes my monitor to turn off immediately but the fans and hard drives keep running and I can't wake the computer. Not a big deal, I'm used to leaving my computer on all the time, although it might be nice if sleep worked. :/

Running "Chess" and clicking anywhere on the board causes a kernel panic. This seems to happen sometimes with hackintoshes and I haven't noticed any other instability.

I have not tried to do anything "esoteric" like use Firewire or Bonjour or Bluetooth so I can't report on their functionality.

BTW, after install my hard drive was not showing up on the Finder desktop. I fixed this by deleting (user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and rebooting.

Followed the lifehacker guide and everything more or less works. Using on-board ethernet and a 7300LE graphics card.

After install, my CPU was running too hot--as if at 100% all the time. I found and installed a 64-bit version of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext which solved the problem. (As verified by Temperature Monitor, great app!)

Sleep causes my monitor to turn off immediately but the fans and hard drives keep running and I can't wake the computer. Not a big deal, I'm used to leaving my computer on all the time, although it might be nice if sleep worked. :/

Running "Chess" and clicking anywhere on the board causes a kernel panic. This seems to happen sometimes with hackintoshes and I haven't noticed any other instability.

I have not tried to do anything "esoteric" like use Firewire or Bonjour or Bluetooth so I can't report on their functionality.

BTW, after install my hard drive was not showing up on the Finder desktop. I fixed this by deleting (user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and rebooting.

Might want to try the new package. You should never have to install drivers to your S/L/E if done correctly.

-Stell

Nevermind on the HDs,... Going to Finder > Preferences > General I noticed show hard disks on desktop wasn't checked.

How noobish!

I also notice that I can't NOT use a screen saver. No matter if I select "Never"

or 2 hrs, etc. When the comp sits for the default amount of screen saver time it turns on.

(Only if inactive)

Strange

Been running this setup ever since the guide first came out. No issues at all. Except: Apple aluminum keyboard won't wake the machine from sleep, but a mouse click will. Other more generic usb keyboards will wake from sleep without issue. Any suggestions? Oh, this is with the keyboard plugged directly into the rear ports, no hub or anything in the way.

Also, Stell, can I run the halloween app on my already installed system? Do I need to manually move the existing Extras folder first? Your suggestions would be very helpful, and thank you for such a great resource and package!

Regards.

I have the UD3P motherboard with mostly the same setup, but a Saphire 1GB 4870. Using the Halloween installer I seem to have things mostly working except that video. I freeze up on the grey apple screen. I can hear the intro video playing and then the commands for Voice Over, but my screen stays locked. I assume that this is because the Halloween installer is set for NVidea cards. I've read Stell's comments about ATI "not playing nice", but Apple sells Mac Pros with the 4870 card, so it can't be that bad. In the SL boot disk, if I run the System Profiler the card is recognized, but I'm stuck. Will this require a DSDT edit? I've tried everything I can think of. Any help? Thanks in advance.