GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I just followed your direction: backed up and removed Extra folder (from v2 Halloween) and installed v3 and updated to 10.6.2.

The only difference I see is my CPU Core temperature got increased to the original level (the temperature I had after I installed the v1 magic installer.) I had about 38-45 C after installing v2 installer and with the new v3 I now have 50-65 C (which is same as before v2.) I guess there was some reason you made it back.

Another difference is that now I can see the numbers for "CPU Temperature Diode" of 4 CPUs from Temperature Monitor and it shows around 15,000 to 16,000 C. Do you think it's normal?

I don't feel any performance differences, though.

And because you wrote you disabled SleepEnabler, I downloaded SleepEnabler.kext you linked and tried to install it. But I don't know how to. I unzipped the file and clicked it but it requests 'Choose Application.' Can you help me how to use it?

I have the same experience temperature wise, including the extra readings with Temperature Monitor.

Performance wise, I ran Geekbench and I got the same results as before. I am able to sleep from the apple menu, but I've yet to try letting it go to sleep on it's own yet.

Stell, do you it will be possible to restore whatever you did to get the temps down in v2?

Thanks,

-Ed

And because you wrote you disabled SleepEnabler, I downloaded SleepEnabler.kext you linked and tried to install it. But I don't know how to. I unzipped the file and clicked it but it requests 'Choose Application.' Can you help me how to use it?

There are a few programs out there for installing kext's, the one I use under 10.5 is Kext Helper b7, however, I just found this...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Which is a SL compatible kext installer. Best of Luck...

I just followed your direction: backed up and removed Extra folder (from v2 Halloween) and installed v3 and updated to 10.6.2.

The only difference I see is my CPU Core temperature got increased to the original level (the temperature I had after I installed the v1 magic installer.) I had about 38-45 C after installing v2 installer and with the new v3 I now have 50-65 C (which is same as before v2.) I guess there was some reason you made it back.

Another difference is that now I can see the numbers for "CPU Temperature Diode" of 4 CPUs from Temperature Monitor and it shows around 15,000 to 16,000 C. Do you think it's normal?

I don't feel any performance differences, though.

Don't worry about the CPU Diode temp, thats just an effect of using this version of FakeSMC which allows iStat to see temps. Sleepenabler allows for sleep to occur when CPUPM is disabled. Since CPU is not disabled the temps are about 10C higher. I posted a version of Sleepenabler for 10.6.2 only on my blog.

I have the same experience temperature wise, including the extra readings with Temperature Monitor.

Performance wise, I ran Geekbench and I got the same results as before. I am able to sleep from the apple menu, but I've yet to try letting it go to sleep on it's own yet.

Stell, do you it will be possible to restore whatever you did to get the temps down in v2?

Thanks,

-Ed

Same as above. :)

Guys might wanna wait before you upgrade to 10.6.2. The included Sleepenabler kext in my latest package from Halloween may KP the system.

stellarola - what can I say. If you were here, I'd buy you a beer.

Your v3 worked a treat. Many thanks!

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q9650

EVGA 9800 GT 1gb

Netgear GA311 (Bonjour works OOB)

Yeah... I'll admit that I blindly upgraded after a friend emailed that his i7 went fine. My reboot resulted in a SleepEnabler panic. Simply following stellarola's instructions fixed it.

What are we supposed to do if we updated SL to 10.6.2. on our Lifehacker Hackintosh build but had used the Halloween edition when installing SL on the Hackintosh to begin with? I'm receiving the sleepenabler.kext kernel panic...

Mac-less in Evanston.

Someone on LH had this problem.

You can do like he did and simply attach the HD do another Mac and run the installer on it.

(Backup then delete the old /Extras folder on the HD before running it)

Or, you could simply use the thumbstick the way you did during the initial install

to boot the HD, then run the installer on your Hack.

No worries mate!

Don't worry about the CPU Diode temp, thats just an effect of using this version of FakeSMC which allows iStat to see temps. Sleepenabler allows for sleep to occur when CPUPM is disabled. Since CPU is not disabled the temps are about 10C higher. I posted a version of Sleepenabler for 10.6.2 only on my blog.

Thanks for the clarification. Now that you've made a new Sleepenabler kext available that works with 10.6.2, how does one disable CPUPM in order to regain the lower temps?

Also, should auto sleep not be working? I set it to 30 minutes and left the machine on for hours and it didn't go to sleep. Sleeping from the Apple Menu works.

I will check again just to be sure.

Thanks.

-Ed

Someone on LH had this problem.

You can do like he did and simply attach the HD do another Mac and run the installer on it.

(Backup then delete the old /Extras folder on the HD before running it)

Or, you could simply use the thumbstick the way you did during the initial install

to boot the HD, then run the installer on your Hack.

No worries mate!

Oh... well that makes sense. Thanks! :unsure:

Ok, Stell, I have a serious P.I.t.A. here.

I came home to my 10.6.1 with v2 installer, downloaded v3, deleted /Extra, ran v3, then updated to 10.6.2.

When it rebooted the screen came on so I could select the boot drive and then while the circle was spinning

it stopped, went blank, and never came back.

GD it all right?

I had a secondary partition for data so I did the install all over again on it with a v3 thumbdrive.

I am now able to boot the secondary partition, but even after running v3, then v1 on the original partition, No dice.

I REALLY don't feel like reinstalling FCS, Adobe Creative Suite, etc,etc on it.

There a way to fix it? Is 10.6.2 simply borked? *sigh*

Thanks for the help in advance Stella!

Sleepenabler allows for sleep to occur when CPUPM is disabled. Since CPU is not disabled the temps are about 10C higher. I posted a version of Sleepenabler for 10.6.2 only on my blog.

Thanks for the clarification. Now that you've made a new Sleepenabler kext available that works with 10.6.2, how does one disable CPUPM in order to regain the lower temps?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to disable CPUPM in 10.6.2. 10-20C is a lot and I'd like to avoid having my processor run hotter than it needs to.

Hey Stell

I have a problem with the 10.6.2 update... I had a wonderfully working system (EP45-UD3P, Q6600, 4gb 800mhz ram, gtx 260) on 10.6.1 with the halloween edition installer package! I then deleted my extra folder, installed the new installer package and updated to 10.6.2... Now, eveything is laggy... My Geekbench score went from 5400 to 3800... Do you have an idea why?? I didn't touch anything else...

Thanks man!! You'Re great for the hackintosh community!

BTW, running 64bit kernel and I modified the IO80211Family.kext to include my wireless card...

That's all the mod I did...

Ey, I did the upgrade and got a lower geekbench score as well (13400 to 12500), still trying to figure out why.

Just curious if anyone can assist me with a few questions in my last post, here is the link and Thank you in Advance...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1324978

I can confirm that the onboard SATA on the Intel controller will hot-swap. Not sure about an add-in card.*

The onboard NICs work but aren't fully functional (with the Halloween installer anyway) - Bonjour and AFP don't work 100%, but they run fine otherwise. A Netgear GA311 (Realtek 8169S) is fully functional for ~$20 though.

* Hot swap doesn't seem to work for me under 10.6.2 - see post #518 in this thread for more detail.

I can confirm that the onboard SATA on the Intel controller will hot-swap. Not sure about an add-in card.

The onboard NICs work but aren't fully functional (with the Halloween installer anyway) - Bonjour and AFP don't work 100%, but they run fine otherwise. A Netgear GA311 (Realtek 8169S) is fully functional for ~$20 though.

That is awesome, now I can pull the Sata card I have, and luckily I have a Rosewill gigabit card from Newegg, $15, that works out of the box, now the only thing really on my mind is the Graphics card. Has anyone tried to use the GTX 275?

I installed Stell's v3 installer on my thumb drive (after deleting the old Extras folder), then tried to use it to boot to my Halloween booting 10.6.2 but I'm still getting SleepEnabler KP. Unsure about what to do.

Just reporting, not complaining. I know you all will get it worked out.

I am getting a panic after installing 10.6.2 that says a panic occurred between kernel and cpu pm (I think).

I don't remember if I downloaded Halloween V2. I thought I had gone with original magic stick.

I did go to the blog and download and install the two kexts you posted (sleepenabler and realtek) before upgrading because AFP is spotty (shared devices appear and disappear from list).

I still have the thumb drive I used originally.

Should I upgrade to v3 or replace files on HDD from thumb drive.

What do I need to replace exactly to get going again?

Thanks in advance.

I installed Stell's v3 installer on my thumb drive (after deleting the old Extras folder), then tried to use it to boot to my Halloween booting 10.6.2 but I'm still getting SleepEnabler KP. Unsure about what to do.

Just reporting, not complaining. I know you all will get it worked out.

The only way that would have happened is if the SleepEnabler was still installed. You might have to boot from the thumb drive you have, and use the terminal to delete the kext from the extensions folder. Let me see if I can find what the commands were, I had to do this once before...

I am getting a panic after installing 10.6.2 that says a panic occurred between kernel and cpu pm (I think).

I don't remember if I downloaded Halloween V2. I thought I had gone with original magic stick.

I did go to the blog and download and install the two kexts you posted (sleepenabler and realtek) before upgrading because AFP is spotty (shared devices appear and disappear from list).

I still have the thumb drive I used originally.

Should I upgrade to v3 or replace files on HDD from thumb drive.

What do I need to replace exactly to get going again?

Thanks in advance.

From my understanding you should have updated to v3 before updating to 10.6.2 but what you can do is be sure to install v3 to your thumb drive, then use that thumb drive to boot your primary install of OS X. After that, since you already have problems, delete the Extras folder from the previous v2 or prior install, and install the v3 update to your Hard Drive. Then see what happens...

Update: Found the command...

If you still get KP's on boot do this. Boot from the USB Thumbdrive and go to Terminal.

Type in...

sudo mv "name of your hard drive"/System/Library/Extensions/"name of kext causing the KP".kext ~/

Without quotes of course. This will move the offending kext to your home folder and you can delete it from there.

Hit return and enter in your password if asked. BE CAREFUL that you know the right kext, or you could do severe damage to your install.

If you get an error, first type in cd / to go to the start of the directories

If I have the original lifehacker magic stick on the thumb drive then all I have to do is boot using it, mount the 10.6.2 HDD and replace the extras folder in it with the one on the thumb drive (assuming original magic stick)?

If Halloween V2 then I should install V3 on thumb drive and boot from it and then install V3 on the HDD or just replace the extras folder?

Replacing the extras folder will get rid of the kexts I installed today (sleepenabler and realtek I think)?

Thanks.

If I have the original lifehacker magic stick on the thumb drive then all I have to do is boot using it, mount the 10.6.2 HDD and replace the extras folder in it with the one on the thumb drive (assuming original magic stick)?

If Halloween V2 then I should install V3 on thumb drive and boot from it and then install V3 on the HDD or just replace the extras folder?

Replacing the extras folder will get rid of the kexts I installed today (sleepenabler and realtek I think)?

Thanks.

You need to boot from your thumb drive. Then download V3. Delete the extra folder on the root of your hard disk. Then run V3 and let it work on your HD.

Reboot without the thumb drive.

V3 doesn't have the kexts you are trying to add, so you must add them manually. You can use "Kext Utility" in the manner described in the original lifehacker post (not the "no hacking required"). Except that you'll be using the 2 kexts in question and not the audio referenced in the post.

Note that I think that Kext utility will place the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/

and NOT the Extra folder. Just FYI if you need to remove them later.

-Ed

That is awesome, now I can pull the Sata card I have, and luckily I have a Rosewill gigabit card from Newegg, $15, that works out of the box, now the only thing really on my mind is the Graphics card. Has anyone tried to use the GTX 275?
I'll be trying that this weekend most likely. Time for me to go Snow Leopard + Windows 7.

I'll be trying that this weekend most likely. Time for me to go Snow Leopard + Windows 7.

Let me know how things go, I am waiting for my parts to arrive in the mail so I can upgrade and swapout. I actually received a message from Netkas on his forum, that PC EFI 10.5 should work just fine, and that it was actually the Chameleon team working on the nvidia detection.

Thanks,

-Ed

Stell,

I booted in 32-bit mode and now auto sleep appears to work. My only problem is the higher temps. You mentioned that in V3 CPUPM is disabled. Where is this done? Is it via the DSDT? I looked inside the Extensions.mkext for both V2 and V3 and didn't see anything about CPUPM...

So, my questions is this... if it is via the DSDT, would it work to use the one from V2 and add the 10.6.2 Sleepenabler.kext?

Anyways... thanks for all this. It's working great.