GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I'll put up a boot cd for people to use, in case you don't have any access to a mac to create the boot stick. Also, this hopefully will encourage the purchase of Snow Leopard.

-Stell

@Stell,

Just wondering if you had any idea when you would be able to post the boot cd for those of us who don't have access to a mac. Also I have almost identical hardware to the lifehacker build except for a core 2 duo processor and a 9600 gso or an 8600 gt graphics card. Do you think one of these will work with 1920 x 1080 resolution with dual monitors or should I order the 9800gtx? Does anyone else have any input on these gpu's with this system and high resolution dual monitors?

Also, thanks to the community and especially stell for all their efforts!

thanks to Stell for this great guide & ongoing advice and to everybody else for contributing their experience and knowledge to this thread.

A couple of questions:

- will an Nvidia gts 250 or gtx 260 work OK with the Halloween installer?

- would I have any issues trying to move over a Parallels Win XP virtual machine from my iMac running 10.5.8 to this SL hackintosh?

thanks!

thanks to Stell for this great guide & ongoing advice and to everybody else for contributing their experience and knowledge to this thread.

A couple of questions:

- will an Nvidia gts 250 or gtx 260 work OK with the Halloween installer?

- would I have any issues trying to move over a Parallels Win XP virtual machine from my iMac running 10.5.8 to this SL hackintosh?

thanks!

The specifics of the first question are beyond me.

The second question however is easy. VMs are designed to be self-contained units.

You can move/delete them like any other file. As long as you can install Parallels

it will work.

That said, this isn't a hackintosh question as much as it is a Parallels question.

It can be answered in their FAQ or forums.

Hello, I am having a problem with my hackintosh. I did a clean install using the pumpkin installer and find that my computer will not fall asleep after idling. Here is some system information:

q6600

ep45 ud3p

4x 2gb ram sticks

2x maxtor 200gb HDD

1 tb WD HDD

500gb WD HDD

ethernet card

EVGA 512 9600 gt (dual monitors)

griffin firewave

elgato eyetv 250 plus

I have tried reducing the computer to simply the graphics card, boot hard drive, mouse, keyboard, two monitors. But still I cannot get the computer to sleep after the time set in energy saver...

Any help or leads on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if your CD/DVD ROM is listed - the last build I performed included a lightscribe drive that would not allow sleep. The owner was fine with it, wanted the functionality...

I'm not sure if your CD/DVD ROM is listed - the last build I performed included a lightscribe drive that would not allow sleep. The owner was fine with it, wanted the functionality...

thanks for the reply! Are you refering to the hardware comparability list on the wiki? My drive doesn't burn DVDs in disk utility though...

Second, I have hardware monitor ALWAYS running. Is that a problem?

Third, thanks stell. I will try setting it like that. Any recommended screeensaver, sleep display, sleep

computer times to set? Is there any relationship between them?

Stell,

Thank you so much all the work you've put forth for everyone in this thread. Like some others following this thread, I'm still in the process of buying parts for my build and I'm really interested in the MSI P45 Platinum board. You had mentioned putting together something for people interested in that board. I was just wondering if you would post the necessary kexts and dsdt guide for that board for those of us who are willing to get our hands dirty, so to speak. I'm relatively experienced with using terminal and have done some dsdt editing on my msi wind, so i really don't need a custom installer. I just need some pointers to get it all working.

I have done some searching but really havent found any good threads for the p45 platinum board. So maybe you could even start a new thread for installing SL on this board.

Once again, thanks for all your work - you are an asset to this community. Also, no big hurry. It will probably be a few weeks before I get the board and other parts I need.

Stell,

Thank you so much all the work you've put forth for everyone in this thread. Like some others following this thread, I'm still in the process of buying parts for my build and I'm really interested in the MSI P45 Platinum board. You had mentioned putting together something for people interested in that board. I was just wondering if you would post the necessary kexts and dsdt guide for that board for those of us who are willing to get our hands dirty, so to speak. I'm relatively experienced with using terminal and have done some dsdt editing on my msi wind, so i really don't need a custom installer. I just need some pointers to get it all working.

I have done some searching but really havent found any good threads for the p45 platinum board. So maybe you could even start a new thread for installing SL on this board.

Once again, thanks for all your work - you are an asset to this community. Also, no big hurry. It will probably be a few weeks before I get the board and other parts I need.

Hey aryjon,

I plan on doing a thread for the MSI since there seems to be some real interest in it. I'd only suggest getting the MSI if you already have the parts for this CPU chipset. IMO it's more cost effective to just build an X58 system as the cost isn't that much more. I'll keep you posted.

-Stell

For the minimizing of the windows, did you try enabling that? It's disabled by default in Snow Leopard.

Well what do you know. I had no idea that behavior was now optional. I knew it had to be something specific to Snow and not the hardware. I had done a few searches at one point and it popped up pages about some specific issue Safari (unrelated to Snow Leopard). It makes much more sense now, and frankly, I am ashamed I didn't figure that out on my own.

You are NOT running the 32-bit kernel. This defaults to 64bit. Afaik, Macports is only x32 currently.

To run in x32, type -x32 at bootloader, or add the kernel flag to boot.plist in /Extra folder.

I definitely booted the 64-bit kernel after installing your v2 update (thanks for all your work).

I tried some big compilations this morning with the Apple version (XCode) GCC. For example, I use Qt in my day to day work which is a massive C++ based, cross platform API. You compile it from source and I didn't force it to 32-bit (I verified that the object files are 64-bit). GCC (g++, actually) got about 20 files into the main build before it died. This is the common symptom. Sometimes the error is an internal compiler error ("Please report this error ...") and the compiler bus errors, sometimes there is an issue with relocatable symbols and it just exits, etc. Based on past experience, these errors are sometimes specific to the code being compiled (fancy expression templates, etc.). However, that is not the case here. If I just run "make" again immediately it will compile same file it just crashed on just fine ... and then die again a few minutes later on another file. It will die with bogus errors about 9 times (on average) and then instead of a GCC error, I get a kernel panic. Again, this is the only way I have been able to crash this machine. And I can do regularly if I compile often enough.

As far as other stresses on the machine, I ran a computational fluid dynamics code all weekend. This code pounds on the CPU, uses a lot of memory and beats the disk pretty hard too. No issues. I just seems to be GCC that will cause the kernel panic.

I also have downloaded the "HPC" (http://hpc.sourceforge.net/) builds of GCC which come from the GCC 4.4 sources and not GCC 4.2 (like XCode, of course the whole LLVM fork still confuses me as to what is shared and what is LLVM). Maybe something in the Apple GCC doesn't like us.

Anyway, I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the input so far.

I wasn't able to rebuild Qt using the HPC GCC build (too many Apple SDK issues to sort out). But, with my existing build of Qt I stole from my Leopard box (MacBook Pro) I was able to compile my own code using the HPC GCC tools without one issue. Using the XCode GCC I would get at least 8-10 GCC errors or a kernel panic doing that same task. I will keep beating on it today with the HPC compiler, but I am pretty confident it is just Apple's GCC that is to blame. You gotta love user space code that can cause a kernel panic.

I am I the only one out here having XCode compiler issues?

Just wondering...

How can check if QE/CI & OpenCL is working on my ATi Radeon 4890 1024MB PCIe ?

Following is what is shown in my Profiler...

ATI Radeon 4890 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4890 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9460

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

DELL 2407WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

VX2025wm:

Resolution: 1050 x 1680 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: 90

My build is exactly the same as the lifehacker build. It's totally solid!

Here are the only problems I've had:

1. I tried installing a Aja Kona3 pci-e. No go. It won't even post with it in any slots. I even tried swapping the video card around. I'm guessing the kona3 firmware detects a non-genuine mac. Oh well.

2. I bought a bluetooth dongle and it doesn't seem to like apple wireless keyboards.

3. I'm not sure whether to use the f12 boot menu or the efi to run windows7

Other than that, I've had a completely seamless experience.

I haven't updated mac OS X, but I don't forsee a problem with that.

I haven't upgraded to stell's halloween package. I might in order to get netflix streaming working. Is there any reason not to run the package? My philosophy is if it aint broke don't fix it.

I wasn't able to rebuild Qt using the HPC GCC build (too many Apple SDK issues to sort out). But, with my existing build of Qt I stole from my Leopard box (MacBook Pro) I was able to compile my own code using the HPC GCC tools without one issue. Using the XCode GCC I would get at least 8-10 GCC errors or a kernel panic doing that same task. I will keep beating on it today with the HPC compiler, but I am pretty confident it is just Apple's GCC that is to blame. You gotta love user space code that can cause a kernel panic.

I am I the only one out here having XCode compiler issues?

DJ,

Did you try this while using the 32-bit kernel (by changing your plist to ensure it boots into 32 rather than 64)? Do you still get KP?

-Ed

thanks for the reply! Are you refering to the hardware comparability list on the wiki? My drive doesn't burn DVDs in disk utility though...

Second, I have hardware monitor ALWAYS running. Is that a problem?

Third, thanks stell. I will try setting it like that. Any recommended screeensaver, sleep display, sleep

computer times to set? Is there any relationship between them?

Machine is still staying awake.. Anywhere I can check to see why its not sleeping? Like the log files or something? I am not sure what phrase I am looking for though... something like "computer failed to sleep sorry buy a real mac"? haha, but really I don't know what phrasing. Could someone guide me in the direction, or I could attach a log file for all to look at? Thanks!

Did you try this while using the 32-bit kernel (by changing your plist to ensure it boots into 32 rather than 64)? Do you still get KP?

Yes. I just booted into the 32-bit kernel and tried a big compile. I got three (3) GCC aborts (which, as always didn't happen when I reran the compiler on the same file again) and then a KP.

Just to clarify, this was:

* 32-bit kernel (Snow 10.6.1)

* XCode 3.2 (GCC 4.2.1)

It doesn't matter if I am compiling code into 32-bit or 64-bit. In this case, I was trying to compile the Qt 4.6 preview (again, there is nothing specific to Qt, it was just a good, large project to compile).

Here are the screen shots from system profiler and system preferences. Just out of curiosity, how would it not be working and I would not realize it? I'm quite sure that it's currently doing everything that I need it to do. I have a Matrox CompressHD in one of the PCIe slots that is working perfectly. I'll try some HD video capture tomorrow or Thursday with the other PCIe card. I have a Vantec PCI FireWire 800 card that works perfectly under 10.5.8 that doesn't seem to be recognized in Snow Leopard and it would be very advantageous for that to work. Also, I installed the eSATA ports that ship with the EP45-UD3P plugged into the purple eSATA ports on the board and those do no mount my external drive (Thermaltake BlacX). If I could get those two things to work I'd be very happy.

matt

post-410407-1256602263_thumb.jpg

post-410407-1256602270_thumb.jpg

post-410407-1256602282_thumb.jpg

I'm quite positive its not working for you and you just don't realize it. Maybe take some screenshots of system profiler and sys preferences pertaining to graphics/display?

-Stell

Machine is still staying awake.. Anywhere I can check to see why its not sleeping? Like the log files or something? I am not sure what phrase I am looking for though... something like "computer failed to sleep sorry buy a real mac"? haha, but really I don't know what phrasing. Could someone guide me in the direction, or I could attach a log file for all to look at? Thanks!

This kind of sounds like the problem I was having with screensaver.

I disabled it and no matter what it kept starting at the default time.

the pref pane showed my preference but it wouldn't follow it.

I found on another forum that SL was just buggy and to delete the plists for the screensaver.

worked like a charm.

Solution was to delete -

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.*.plist

I can't say this type of thing would work for you, (instead ditch the ones for sleep)

but it might be worth looking into.

Stell,

She's in the works.

stevehatesme.png

This kind of sounds like the problem I was having with screensaver.

I disabled it and no matter what it kept starting at the default time.

the pref pane showed my preference but it wouldn't follow it.

I found on another forum that SL was just buggy and to delete the plists for the screensaver.

worked like a charm.

Solution was to delete -

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.*.plist

I can't say this type of thing would work for you, (instead ditch the ones for sleep)

but it might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the info I'll give that a go right now... I am also having a problem with my screensaver. When I resume from screensaver the password prompt never comes up. same with sleep.

Lifehacker guide works great on my Sony Vaio CR490. The only problem I have is not able to display the "About This Mac" When clicking on it, the screen flashes for a second or two and then it takes me back to the Desktop.

Anyone knows how fix this?

thanks

Lifehacker guide works great on my Sony Vaio CR490. The only problem I have is not able to display the "About This Mac" When clicking on it, the screen flashes for a second or two and then it takes me back to the Desktop.

Anyone knows how fix this?

thanks

I like your enthusiasm, but can you read? :(

-Stell