406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Its tattooed next to the corner mount hole near the lowest PCI slot

Thanks, i've checked and have rev 1.0, did latest BIOS update (not the beta one) and it has gone well

---

Try using terminal method against your hard drive ( http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish ) ; and after that works then run the Halloween installer.

No, sorry, i still have the same error :-/

I've seen that this pumpkin installer installs chameleon 2.0 RC3 and that the RC3 fix a bug about HDD with more than 1TB.

perhaps the bugfix is still bugged ?

Was anyone successful in making bootable a partition that is bigger than 1TB with that pumpkin installer ?

apparently iOSX86_iATKOS did, but i'm a little bit reluctant in making another partition just for that :-/

---

Another issue I had was that on my system (with a AXLE geforce 9800 GTX+), I could not have Quartz GL enabled.

this means :

- Had no antialiased cocoa text( that's a pain, cause antialiased text is a killer feature and I could not live without it :))

- If I changed my display resolution, I had a black screen (tips was to reset screen display and for that you have to press ctrl+shift+eject to force sleep display then press the "anykey :P " to wake up back).

-some effect of mac os where not GPU accelerated and other where disabled (ie: the fade to black when you press cmd+esc to enter front row)

but in my case, openGL hardware acceleration was working fine (i checked with OpenGL Extension Viewer)

and Quartz Extrem was enabled (I cheked with Quartz Extrem Check)

Finally, hours after searching for an understanding and a solution, i plugged my 24" to the other DVI port of the geforce ...and on this one Quartz GL was working flawlessly ! (YEAH ! ;) )

I just found and tried Stell's v2 Halloween installer. It worked fine with the exception of my on-board sound disappearing. I ended up having to revert to my previous dsdt file. I'm not sure what the problem may be since my system configuration is nearly identical to the Lifehacker guide.

When I get some time I may try and compare the previous dsdt with Stell's newer one.

However, I've been using Chameleon RC3 as my bootloader and since I've been reading there are some people that have had issues with the bootloader installing I wonder if this might be the source of the problem?

No, sorry, i still have the same error :-/

I've seen that this pumpkin installer installs chameleon 2.0 RC3 and that the RC3 fix a bug about HDD with more than 1TB.

perhaps the bugfix is still bugged ?

Was anyone successful in making bootable a partition that is bigger than 1TB with that pumpkin installer ?

apparently iOSX86_iATKOS did, but i'm a little bit reluctant in making another partition just for that :-/

I can boot into either a 300Gb Raptor or 1.5TB Seagate; so at least in my case the large drive fix seems to work.

Which SATA ports are you plugged into ? I ( and others ) have had issues with the Purple GSATA ports; they use a JMicron chip and are only AHCI ver 1.00 while the Orange Ports use an Intel Chip and are AHCI ver 1.20 .This seems to make a difference.

no, i've tried them all ^^ usually the drive is connected to the orange SATA_0

but i've tried all 6 of them, the GSATA_1 & 2 as well as in USB with the help of a SATA to USB adapter.

the (small) annoying thing about my config now is that when I boot from the thumdrive I must then be in front of the screen to say I to the bootloader to boot my 10.6 of my HDD.

is there anyway to overide the default OS X disk in the bootloader ?

Or is there a good tuto somewhere on how to install that bootlader on a small usb disk that doesn't have a copy of the Snow Leopard install disc on it ? that would be a good enough workaround for me.

but i'm still eager for answers on my prob.

no, i've tried them all ^^ usually the drive is connected to the orange SATA_0

but i've tried all 6 of them, the GSATA_1 & 2 as well as in USB with the help of a SATA to USB adapter.

the (small) annoying thing about my config now is that when I boot from the thumdrive I must then be in front of the screen to say I to the bootloader to boot my 10.6 of my HDD.

is there anyway to overide the default OS X disk in the bootloader ?

Or is there a good tuto somewhere on how to install that bootlader on a small usb disk that doesn't have a copy of the Snow Leopard install disc on it ? that would be a good enough workaround for me.

but i'm still eager for answers on my prob.

I have to admit it's weird, but my rig is on the purple one lol! (NO problems)

But as far as I've heard people have even done this install with an external USB HD.

And with concern with a different device, we use the USB thumbdrive to boot the HD.

(UNLESS you run the installer on the HD after)

I have the same motherboard (ga-ep45-ud3p), I bought a diffrent graphics card - Asus 9400gt

It all worked fine with the retail snow 10.6 - did exactly like Adam.

BUT I HAVE A Big ISSUE!!! - SL doesn't seems to recognize the FireWire interface (onboard)

I got the message : unable to list FireWire devices In System Profiler, The problem is the Firewire driver I think. -When I had iAtkos 10.5.7 it worked fine with the fw and the sound card (I didn't installed anything for that)

and I know that no driver are needed for Mackie in Snow Leopard, I also tried with an M-Audio FW410 card (installed it`s drivers and nothing !)

keep getting the error: unable to list FireWire devices In system profiler

Maybe the EP45 package screw something with the Firewire driver?

I really need my sound card working to make music :-(

Does FireWire onboard works for you? got a kext or other solution for me ??? please!!!

did you get firewire working???thinking about this build and need firewire..ill be using this for music and its essential that i have firewire

did you get firewire working???thinking about this build and need firewire..ill be using this for music and its essential that i have firewire

I have a firewire external drive and it is working fine on the onboard ports.

-Ed

I've got all my parts on the way, should be here tomorrow.

My build is the same, but I'm using a Q9400 and a different video card.

That's my question: It's a PNY 9800GTX+ instead of the eVGA card that Lifehacker used.

Same chipset, same memory, just a different manufacturer.

How hard will it be to get it to work, or will it just work OOTB?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a thermostatic method of controlling the case fan on this setup ?

A thermostatic method to control the fan speed on the video card would be nice too - I may have to get a fanless video card to use for a more quiet build of this setup...

I've got all my parts on the way, should be here tomorrow.

My build is the same, but I'm using a Q9400 and a different video card.

That's my question: It's a PNY 9800GTX+ instead of the eVGA card that Lifehacker used.

Same chipset, same memory, just a different manufacturer.

How hard will it be to get it to work, or will it just work OOTB?

It should just work.

-Ed

I am trying to set up a dual boot and don't know enough about pc's to figure it out.

I have os x running great as stated earlier in this thread and have 2 additional drives which are each split into partitions.

The drive I want to install XP onto is SATA and has two empty partitions except for a couple empty folders as it's a scratch disk for os x. This drive is formatted in GUID partition table and is ok to reformat.

When I put the CD in for XP SP2 it goes through the startup screens then stops at the error..

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." then says something about not reconizing the drives or they could be corrupt and suggests running chkdsk /f

Any suggestion how to get past this?

How do I run CHKDSK without any os or dos installed?

Will the windows installer allow me to select one of the partitions on one of the 3 drives to install on or allow me to reformat that drive? What partition scheme would I use? Fat32??

One XP is installed how do I choose which disk to boot to (OS X or XP)? when I enter disk setup in the bios it only offers HDD and not a list of partitions and drives.

I looked in the dual boot thread and the sticky but it goes back to 2005 and was bound to cause more harm than good.

Any advice for dual booting the lifehacker build.

ETA: here is the error code I get

*** STOP: OX 0000007B (OXF78D2524, OXC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

eta: and some info from google

"My suspicion would be the SATA controller driver, I am assumming SATA as you do not furnish much info. You may have to create a Slipstreamed XP CD with the OEM Manufacturers Drivers.."

i don't have a floppy so I'll have to looking onto preparing sliptream disk maybe.

Worked perfectly for me. This was the first time I've ever heard the music to accompany the OSX startup video, my previous hackintosh installs hadn't had audio enable already at that point. Thanks to everyone involved, I couldn't be happier!

I am trying to set up a dual boot and don't know enough about pc's to figure it out.

I have os x running great as stated earlier in this thread and have 2 additional drives which are each split into partitions.

The drive I want to install XP onto is SATA and has two empty partitions except for a couple empty folders as it's a scratch disk for os x. This drive is formatted in GUID partition table and is ok to reformat.

When I put the CD in for XP SP2 it goes through the startup screens then stops at the error..

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." then says something about not reconizing the drives or they could be corrupt and suggests running chkdsk /f

Any suggestion how to get past this?

How do I run CHKDSK without any os or dos installed?

Will the windows installer allow me to select one of the partitions on one of the 3 drives to install on or allow me to reformat that drive? What partition scheme would I use? Fat32??

One XP is installed how do I choose which disk to boot to (OS X or XP)? when I enter disk setup in the bios it only offers HDD and not a list of partitions and drives.

I looked in the dual boot thread and the sticky but it goes back to 2005 and was bound to cause more harm than good.

Any advice for dual booting the lifehacker build.

ETA: here is the error code I get

*** STOP: OX 0000007B (OXF78D2524, OXC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

eta: and some info from google

"My suspicion would be the SATA controller driver, I am assumming SATA as you do not furnish much info. You may have to create a Slipstreamed XP CD with the OEM Manufacturers Drivers.."

i don't have a floppy so I'll have to looking onto preparing sliptream disk maybe.

What I know is that the best way to do this is to use a another dedicated drive for this. Also, you should use XP SP3 or later (Vista, Win7) since XP SP2 and below doesn't play well with AHCI.

What I know is that the best way to do this is to use a another dedicated drive for this. Also, you should use XP SP3 or later (Vista, Win7) since XP SP2 and below doesn't play well with AHCI.

Thanks, the SP3 tip may be the ticket.

I tried formatting the target drive as FAT32 from OSX with one partition and unplugged all the other drives but still got the same error with SP2.

I did see stell said to use a separate drive earlier in this thread but no where have I been able to find a small summary of how to dual boot this (or any) build.

Can someone offer a quick rundown of how to switch boots between the two OS's

ETA: A friend just told me to download the driver for the SATA which is 'intel ICH10 AHCI' as far as I can tell and burn that to cd. Then do the windows install and press F6 to enter driver setup and install driver by CD and that should work with SP2.

He aslo told me to dual boot..that teh BIOS will probably boot into XP by default and that I should go to MSCONFIG32>Boot manager and switch it to OSX drive as start up so OSX will boot first. He also said there may be a new screen at the startup screen where I may be able to select a startup drive.

How are folks here dual booting their lifehacker builds?

ETA2: well that didn't work, the driver need to be on a floppy. I also read there are Issues getting AHCI working on XP at all

Anyone here have XP installed from the SP2 disk on your EP45-UD3P? How did you do it?

ETA2: well that didn't work, the driver need to be on a floppy. I also read there are Issues getting AHCI working on XP at all

Anyone here have XP installed from the SP2 disk on your EP45-UD3P? How did you do it?

I've been running Win 7 exclusively since the RC, so it's been a while since I've had to install XP. I do remember having to slipstream my hard drive controller's drivers into the XP install disc using nlite or AHCI wouldn't work. While you're at it, you might as well slipstream SP3 on to the disk and save yourself some time post install.

Thanks, the SP3 tip may be the ticket.

I tried formatting the target drive as FAT32 from OSX with one partition and unplugged all the other drives but still got the same error with SP2.

I did see stell said to use a separate drive earlier in this thread but no where have I been able to find a small summary of how to dual boot this (or any) build.

Can someone offer a quick rundown of how to switch boots between the two OS's

ETA: A friend just told me to download the driver for the SATA which is 'intel ICH10 AHCI' as far as I can tell and burn that to cd. Then do the windows install and press F6 to enter driver setup and install driver by CD and that should work with SP2.

He aslo told me to dual boot..that teh BIOS will probably boot into XP by default and that I should go to MSCONFIG32>Boot manager and switch it to OSX drive as start up so OSX will boot first. He also said there may be a new screen at the startup screen where I may be able to select a startup drive.

How are folks here dual booting their lifehacker builds?

I have major problems installing both win7 or winxp. I had the same problems with xp that you mention. I tried slipstreaming to no avail. I even went to the trouble of installing a floppy drive to load the drivers, but the install would bluescreen in the middle.

When I try to load win7, it doesn't like the disk type, but formatting it doesn't help. You have to remove the sata drive and do a SLOW format with another xp system. This did the trick for me in order to get win7 installed, but I screwed that drive up by letting parallels use it. Trying to run win7 repair will tell me it's not compatible with my version of windows, which doesn't make any sense since i've formatted the drive to fat32 and I'm trying to reload the backup image win7 made for me.

Anyway, I've had the same problems as you, but it's not exactly due to the hackintosh, moreso the config of the system and having a guid partition that windows doesnt like.

Guys might wanna wait before you upgrade to 10.6.2. The included Sleepenabler kext in my latest package from Halloween may KP the system.

UPDATED: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/

Above link will give you the download to the v3 package. Also, as an alternative the original "magic" package will work just fine as well from the lifehacker guide: http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

@ Stellarola - hopefully you can help me with this...

I cannot believe the resources there are for this motherboard. I currently have a setup running an Asus board with 650i that is getting replaced with the GA-EP45-UD3P and a beefy graphics card which brings me to a few questions that I have. This is not my first Hack-Intosh but I like to cover my ground before starting.

1. After reading through the forum, do we have a fully working ethernet kext for the onboard gigabit ports? I have an extra PCI gigabit, but just want to be sure.

2. The guide is simple enough and enables 64bit support off the bat, now is there proper PCI detection of cards? such as if I install a PCI-E Sata card, I need the ability for hotswap.

3. And quite possibly the biggest question with a few within it. The only thing I have to replace on my current rig is the motherboard, but I decided to do the Graphics card as well. Seeing as how netkas has said the GT200 cards will now work. I have purchased the GTX 275. What I am finding a bit confusing is some verbiage with the bootloaders. I know that the one that is provided with the lifehacker guide should be all that I need and is based on PC EFI 10. What I would like to know is this. PC EFI has been updated to v10.5 and netkas said that the video detection is done by the chameleon team. All I have to do is load the boot file into the proper place but. How do I make sure that it will auto detect and install for the GTX275? I am understanding that I have to use the latest build of Chameleon r3 b268, and I know how to put the boot file into the right spot. (I have been tinkering with the USB drive I am going to install off of) But I want to be sure that it gets the proper detection, is there anything that needs to be done within the options for Chameleon?

4. Is there any particular BIOS version I should use for the board? or stay away from?

Just so you have it, here is the whole setup I will be working with.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850(revG0,3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:2X4MB)

8GB OCZ SLI ready DDR2 800

3 - 1.5 TB Seagate Drives

1 - 1TB Seagate Drive

1 - 1 TB Seagate Drive

Pioneer DVR-218LBK

1-Killowatt Zalman Power Supply

2 HotSwap Bays - 1 - 3.5 HD and 1 - 2.5HD

EVGA GTX 275

From the specs I am trying to make the most BaDAss Hack-Intosh and would love any help doing so. Will try and post some pics of the custom case I built from scratch that hangs on my wall with the current Asus 650i Based board...

Guys might wanna wait before you upgrade to 10.6.2. The included Sleepenabler kext in my latest package from Halloween may KP the system.

Above link will give you the download to the v3 package. Also, as an alternative the original "magic" package will work just fine as well from the lifehacker guide: http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

Hi Stell,

Thanks for the quick update.

Will sleep work (from the Apple menu and set time in energy pref pane)?

i have a quad core 2.8 with ep45t-ud3p and gts 250 1gig ddr3... installed with http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required guide....crossed my fingers and updated to 10.6.2...and its up and runnin flawlessly...updated without any kps or anything...everything works...so ppl with similar setup take the plunge and you wont be sorry n enoy 10.6.2 :))) (posted this from 10.6.2) lol

i have a quad core 2.8 with ep45t-ud3p and gts 250 1gig ddr3... installed with http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required guide....crossed my fingers and updated to 10.6.2...and its up and runnin flawlessly...updated without any kps or anything...everything works...so ppl with similar setup take the plunge and you wont be sorry n enoy 10.6.2 ;))) (posted this from 10.6.2) lol

Yea it works with the new package on my blog and the "magic" installer.

DON'T UPDATE IF YOU'RE RUNNING THE HALLOWEEN INSTALLER

...you've been warned.

Hey Stell

I have a problem with the 10.6.2 update... I had a wonderfully working system (EP45-UD3P, Q6600, 4gb 800mhz ram, gtx 260) on 10.6.1 with the halloween edition installer package! I then deleted my extra folder, installed the new installer package and updated to 10.6.2... Now, eveything is laggy... My Geekbench score went from 5400 to 3800... Do you have an idea why?? I didn't touch anything else...

Thanks man!! You'Re great for the hackintosh community!

BTW, running 64bit kernel and I modified the IO80211Family.kext to include my wireless card...

That's all the mod I did...

Hey Stell

I have a problem with the 10.6.2 update... I had a wonderfully working system (EP45-UD3P, Q6600, 4gb 800mhz ram, gtx 260) on 10.6.1 with the halloween edition installer package! I then deleted my extra folder, installed the new installer package and updated to 10.6.2... Now, eveything is laggy... My Geekbench score went from 5400 to 3800... Do you have an idea why?? I didn't touch anything else...

Thanks man!! You'Re great for the hackintosh community!

BTW, running 64bit kernel and I modified the IO80211Family.kext to include my wireless card...

That's all the mod I did...

The only difference between this and the halloween package is using PC_EFI v10.5 instead of 10.4 and I removed Sleepenabler.kext for compatibilities sake. Anyone else having a drop in performance? This doesn't really make sense.

-Stell

The only difference between this and the halloween package is using PC_EFI v10.5 instead of 10.4 and I removed Sleepenabler.kext for compatibilities sake. Anyone else having a drop in performance? This doesn't really make sense.

-Stell

I just followed your direction: backed up and removed Extra folder (from v2 Halloween) and installed v3 and updated to 10.6.2.

The only difference I see is my CPU Core temperature got increased to the original level (the temperature I had after I installed the v1 magic installer.) I had about 38-45 C after installing v2 installer and with the new v3 I now have 50-65 C (which is same as before v2.) I guess there was some reason you made it back.

Another difference is that now I can see the numbers for "CPU Temperature Diode" of 4 CPUs from Temperature Monitor and it shows around 15,000 to 16,000 C. Do you think it's normal?

I don't feel any performance differences, though.

And because you wrote you disabled SleepEnabler, I downloaded SleepEnabler.kext you linked and tried to install it. But I don't know how to. I unzipped the file and clicked it but it requests 'Choose Application.' Can you help me how to use it?