GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I've built mine and it works (nearly) perfectly. There seems to be an odd lag when I wake from sleep.

Also, occasionally, it doesn't reboot but sits at a blue screen with a pinwheel waiting for you to push the button. I've experienced this with retail macs before, so I'm putting that down as a bug in the OS.

Thanks for the Rev.2 package Stell, it worked great. Both of my Nics show up fine.

As a final note, does anyone have a recommendation for a PCI- or PCIe- based wifi card that's natively supported AND has 802.11n?

[del]Uh oh. Bonjour has now stopped working (I had to reboot for 10.6.1) Any way to fix this?[/del]

I've fixed it with the enablers found elsewhere on the forums. Search for bonjour64.

I've now noticed that the fans refuse to stay asleep when the computer is asleep. I have no idea if this is a function of my power supply. I guess I'll shut down when I need silence.

SUCCESS!!!

And this should be noted for future installs.

The Halloween boot screen requires you to press any key for boot options (I don't remember the exact wording off the top of my head). Well, I had been pushing keys and nothing was happening, so I assumed that wasn't the problem. Well, in going through my BIOS settings, I noticed that legacy USB keyboard support was disabled. Well. I enabled it and IT WORKS! Yay! It was installing and working correctly this whole time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to troubleshoot with me. I really appreciate it.

It's no problem. It's always the little things. :jerry:

Glad to have you onboard!

I just finished installing a FireWire 800 card in my machine - Seems to work fine with both FW 400 and FW 800

( 2x800 1x400 ports ) It is installed in PCIEX1_2 .

The info on the card ( a StarTech PEX1394B3 ) says it is compatible with OS X, Windows and Linux.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WCT5H...x_ya_oh_product

I have to concur with others on the list - The orange SATA ports seem to cause fewer ( zero ) issues.

Did you use a particular guide for overclocking ? ( this would be my first attempt also )

Which cooler did you select and why?

Thanks!

I bought the following:

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003

and

XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler Brackets

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233027

This cooler was affordable, quiet and good. Also, I got the mounting brackets so I didn't have to deal with the push pin system which is hellish.

2 words of caution:

1) the double sided tape that is used for the bracket.... I only stuck it to the bracket and not the back of the mother board, that will allow for reuse in another mb later.

2) Once the cooler is on.... make sure you plug in the smaller power header to the mother board BEFORE mounting the mb to the case. It will be almost impossible to plug it in later since the cooler is in the way. My wife has small hands, so she was able to plug it in.

I didn't use a specific guide, I read up a bunch of threads and took notes. I can post my bios settings if anyone is interested.

I overclocked in 2 steps. First to 3.0Ghz by changing the FSB to 360, leaving everything else alone. I saved that setting into one of the BIOS save slots.

Step 2 was to overclock to 3.4Ghz. I will post my settings if you guys want them.

-Ed

I am successfully running my 1st Hackintosh thanks to the Lifehacker article. I figured I will post some additional info as I came across a few issues, and being a Noob to this I figured it may save someone some time.

I followed the article to the T. I made once change on the processor. Since the one that Adam had was almost $300, I ordered a 2.7 GHz Quad Core:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115131

I followed the terminal method. I am not afraid of the command line and read that it seemed more stable (less issues). I used a standard USB external drive for SL.

Building the Box

I have built a a bunch of my own PCs over the years, but this was my 1st time in nearly 4 years. Everything was pretty standard. My one tip is to seat the processor and heat sync before you install. Other than that, it was very straightforward. I added 3 older drives and they all worked fine. The primary is the 1 TB in the article.

Setup

I went through the BIOS screen shots and followed that. Everything worked fine. My 1st issue I had was when SL first set up. Please make sure you have a USB keyboard. I keep an old PS/2 around for installs, and OSX doesnt recognize it. Supposedly it does work with a PS/2 mouse or a USB adapter. I had neither for some reason. I wanted a MAC keyboard anyway and dropped $50 on a USB keyboard at BestBuy as I figured it was the quickest workaround. Unfortunately this caused me to reboot a few times and wasted some time but nothing major. I am in the process of trying to get bluetooth working. I used an old BT adapter and this caused me to have to reinstall. I will post my success with BT once the one I ordered comes in. I will probably just keep my USB keyboard.

The SL install worked fine. I had no issues other than having to do a re-install due to the BT doing something funky.

Post Install Tips

UPGRADE THE BIOS! My board did not have the latest and greatest BIOS. I upgraded to the FB version and this fixed a few issues:

1. SL Incorrectly reporting the processor at 2.06 GHz. This was more cosmetic I think. My Windows 7 VM reported it correctly.

2. CD Burner not working.

3. Better responsiveness. This may have been in my head, but I feel the system is much zippier on certain tasks like opening files and apps.

I also used the DigitalDJ method to get the processor to identify correctly. For the noobs, I was not sure how to do this. The post is geared to more experience users. I downloaded the kext and finally experimented and dropped it into the kext utility that Adam describes. That seemed to list my processor at the Quad Core Zeon as it should. If this way was not correct, let me know, but it worked for me.

I have not tested Time Machine yet. Once I get all the data off my drives and make sure its all been copied properly I will use one of my old 500 GB and use it for TM. Not sure if that will cause any issues.

I hope this post helps. My Hack has been now running for 3 days without a single reboot. APerture\Photoshop\Fusion all seem to be working well for me. Still getting Apps installed.

Adam\Stella\Lifehacker - Thanks again! For >$1000 I have a sick system that screems. Time is my biggest issue, and I can truly say that even with some issues, I got everthing built and installed in 5 hrs. 1 probably had about another 2 hrs of issues. Figuring you saved me about $1500, I'll take $175 hr any day! Thanks again!

I have the griffin firewave and if I have it plugged in I get kernel panics sometimes. This is a firewire sound card for those who are unaware. Not sure what sets them on but I get kernel panics sometimes when I am not using the card at all, sometimes when I get them at the grey apple screen at startup. Sometimes I get them at my desktop right when I log in. I have disconnected the card and haven't had a kernel panic in 3 days... I am thinking it is a problem with the card or midi support? I am going to get a USB 5.1 soundcard and test out my theory. Anyone have any experience to share on this matter? I am looking for a 5.1 sound card (I would prefer optical SPDIF out, but I don't think they exist for mac). I have found a list here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93333

here's the list from that post:

USB 5.1 working in OS X:

• Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit External (SB0490) - 4 stars, 97 User
  • Zalman ZM-RSSC External USB 5.1 Sound Card
  • CN-126 USB to Audio 5.1 Adapter
  • SWEEX External Sound Card 5.1 with Digital InOut USB 2.0 (SC004)
  • Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro 5.1 USB
  • Digitus 5.1 USB (DA-70770)

USB 5.1 only output working:

• Hercules USB 5.1 / Muse Pocket LT (same product - output working)
  • Terratec Aureon 5.1 (working sound out only with CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext)

Firewire 5.1 working in OS X:

• Focusrite Saffire LE
  • Griffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macs

USB 7.1 working in OS X:

Something that everyone might want ( if you don't have it already :( ) is Temperature Monitor by Marcel Bresink.

The link is:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

I am getting my HD temp and all 4 cores of the processor showing up. ( command-shift-U will force the update so you will see the temps faster on the first run )

This could be especially important for a fresh install to be sure that your heat sink is seated properly without resorting to booting back into the BIOS.

Cheers!

Is Temp monitor showing the readings for the 9800GTX vid card on your systems?

I only get the 4 cores and the 3 HDDs that are installed.

My CPU reading under light load are 32 32 35 39. looks like i better reseat that stock cooler.

Things that are working fine include; dual monitor support, CaptureOne, NEC spectraview, Monaco Optix, Xassist and pretty much everything else.

Is Temp monitor showing the readings for the 9800GTX vid card on your systems?

I only get the 4 cores and the 3 HDDs that are installed.

My CPU reading under light load are 32 32 35 39. looks like i better reseat that stock cooler.

Things that are working fine include; dual monitor support, CaptureOne, NEC spectraview, Monaco Optix, Xassist and pretty much everything else.

What are you talking about? I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop, but if you're

saying that those readings in Celsius then I think it's doing just fine. (Much cooler than stocks usually run)

If you mean that 1/2 cores are warmer than the others I would assume it's because all 4 cores

aren't running at the same pace.

I would suggest taking a large video and converting it with handbrake.

It will run all four cores to the max if the video is heavy enough. Then take a fresh set of readings.

I've built mine and it works (nearly) perfectly. There seems to be an odd lag when I wake from sleep.

Also, occasionally, it doesn't reboot but sits at a blue screen with a pinwheel waiting for you to push the button. I've experienced this with retail macs before, so I'm putting that down as a bug in the OS.

Thanks for the Rev.2 package Stell, it worked great. Both of my Nics show up fine.

As a final note, does anyone have a recommendation for a PCI- or PCIe- based wifi card that's natively supported AND has 802.11n?

Uh oh. Bonjour has now stopped working (I had to reboot for 10.6.1) Any way to fix this?

You say "Both of your NICs show up fine"? Do you mean the on-board NICs, or the Trendnet card

from the build?

The onboards don't do Bonjour unless you set them to promiscuous mode.

That's why the NIC was in the build. :(

I have the griffin firewave and if I have it plugged in I get kernel panics sometimes. This is a firewire sound card for those who are unaware. Not sure what sets them on but I get kernel panics sometimes when I am not using the card at all, sometimes when I get them at the grey apple screen at startup. Sometimes I get them at my desktop right when I log in. I have disconnected the card and haven't had a kernel panic in 3 days... I am thinking it is a problem with the card or midi support? I am going to get a USB 5.1 soundcard and test out my theory. Anyone have any experience to share on this matter? I am looking for a 5.1 sound card (I would prefer optical SPDIF out, but I don't think they exist for mac). I have found a list here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93333

here's the list from that post:

USB 5.1 working in OS X:

• Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit External (SB0490) - 4 stars, 97 User
  • Zalman ZM-RSSC External USB 5.1 Sound Card
  • CN-126 USB to Audio 5.1 Adapter
  • SWEEX External Sound Card 5.1 with Digital InOut USB 2.0 (SC004)
  • Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro 5.1 USB
  • Digitus 5.1 USB (DA-70770)

USB 5.1 only output working:

• Hercules USB 5.1 / Muse Pocket LT (same product - output working)
  • Terratec Aureon 5.1 (working sound out only with CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext)

Firewire 5.1 working in OS X:

• Focusrite Saffire LE
  • Griffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macs

USB 7.1 working in OS X:

I also had a firewave and I can confirm it causes a slew of kernel panics all over the place. However, I have 5.1 sound on the onboard card. I'm using optical SPDIF and dolby digital passthrough (5.1) works awesome. I have tested this with EyeTV, DVD Player, and VLC.

I overclocked in 2 steps. First to 3.0Ghz by changing the FSB to 360, leaving everything else alone. I saved that setting into one of the BIOS save slots.

Step 2 was to overclock to 3.4Ghz. I will post my settings if you guys want them.

-Ed

Yes please post your 3.4Ghz overclock settings. Thanks!

I also had a firewave and I can confirm it causes a slew of kernel panics all over the place. However, I have 5.1 sound on the onboard card. I'm using optical SPDIF and dolby digital passthrough (5.1) works awesome. I have tested this with EyeTV, DVD Player, and VLC.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I will switch the the onboard.. But something about onboard has always left a bad taste in my mouth... I guess I just want it to work 100%. I had ZERO kernel panics on my 10.5.6 system with the firewave. I am guessing it is something new with the firewire port or something. I think I will buy the zalman USB 5.1 sound card right now and try that out. Any one have any experiences with a usb soundcard causing Kernel panics?

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I will switch the the onboard.. But something about onboard has always left a bad taste in my mouth... I guess I just want it to work 100%. I had ZERO kernel panics on my 10.5.6 system with the firewave. I am guessing it is something new with the firewire port or something. I think I will buy the zalman USB 5.1 sound card right now and try that out. Any one have any experiences with a usb soundcard causing Kernel panics?

I don't know if it is causing it, but I've heard Stella make mention

of some of the ports on this mobo being finnicky.

Run it by him, maybe the slot is unfriendly.

He also has a few USB sound devices listed that are compatible with SL.

So I need help pin pointing my problem. So I have exact replica of Lifehacker build. Everything ran great for a day. Then random freezes and now computer POSTs weird.

1. Computer will POST until "AHCI is installed" - then nothing. Reset.

2. Computer will POST until "Memory 8312302398 ok" "Memory loaded on Dual Channel" or whatever - Then nothing. Reset.

3. Computer will fire up correctly all systems a go then freeze. Nothing.

The funny thing is this is after I have already fixed CPU overheating issue, Hard drive that I thought was failing so installed on new Western Digital 1 TB HD everything went smoothly. But now this issue. I have also tested Memory (RAM).

Have you built this system just for OSX? Or have you had Windows or other operating system running on this hardware?

Maybe you should do some stability test to make sure your hardwares are working properly first.

Hardware diagnostic/stability test first

than you'll know it maybe a software related issue and not some faulty hardware issue.

Why no install a trusty?? MS WINDOWS and do some stability test non stop for about 24 hours or so and report back. If you have not done so.

Enjoy.

Hey guys,

I've been watching this thread for some time and I'm very interested in building a Hackintosh with this method.

I will be purchasing the same hardware as described in the original article so that I can achieve a simple and pain free installation.

My question is, will this motherboard be readily available during January-February 2010??

I'm currently studying for my CPA exam and can't build the computer until then, and don't want to purchase the hardware now because I can't test it immediately (to detect if their not DOA). I'm asking because I know that the i5 and i7 are becoming more popular and since they require new motherboards, I don't want the surprise of having this specific motherboard discontinued by then.

I bought the following:

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

---

---

-Ed

Thanks for the info on the cooler - and YES; seeing your settings would be helpful...

My question is, will this motherboard be readily available during January-February 2010??

I'm sure it will still be very easily available. Motherboards don't die THAT quickly. Even if Gigabyte discontinues it, there'll still be plenty in the supply channels. If anything, they may go down in price a bit as newer/better ones come out.

The Lifehacker guide is particularly good and easy to follow, but there are many other guides too, so if you think your build is 3 months away, I'd wait 3 months then do a fresh search to see if anyone's come up with newer better versions. For all we know. Apple might introduce something in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 that makes this guide much harder, while some hacker might find a new way to build a Hackintosh that's equally easy. So if you're 3 months out...you're a little early to be panicking. :help:

My advice: if you've got 3 months, you should scour sites like slickdeals.net where you can keep your eyes open for great deals on components that won't go out of date, like a case, DVD drive, etc. Strike at the right time and you can save plenty of money. Hold off on things like hard drives and RAM, which have a tendency to usually go down in price over time.

I'm sure it will still be very easily available. Motherboards don't die THAT quickly. Even if Gigabyte discontinues it, there'll still be plenty in the supply channels. If anything, they may go down in price a bit as newer/better ones come out.

The Lifehacker guide is particularly good and easy to follow, but there are many other guides too, so if you think your build is 3 months away, I'd wait 3 months then do a fresh search to see if anyone's come up with newer better versions. For all we know. Apple might introduce something in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 that makes this guide much harder, while some hacker might find a new way to build a Hackintosh that's equally easy. So if you're 3 months out...you're a little early to be panicking. :help:

My advice: if you've got 3 months, you should scour sites like slickdeals.net where you can keep your eyes open for great deals on components that won't go out of date, like a case, DVD drive, etc. Strike at the right time and you can save plenty of money. Hold off on things like hard drives and RAM, which have a tendency to usually go down in price over time.

Great, I will follow you advice.

Thank you very much for your response!

Great, I will follow you advice.

Thank you very much for your response!

Yea, quite honestly Stella himself has pointed out his grievances with the mobo, and he made the guide lol!

He suggests a diff board that he's considering making an amendment for.

In 3 months time he'll likely have some crazy monstrosity cooked up if you want it.

As mentioned, prices will definitely go down, so hold off til then. ;-)

SUCCESS!!!

And this should be noted for future installs.

The Halloween boot screen requires you to press any key for boot options (I don't remember the exact wording off the top of my head). Well, I had been pushing keys and nothing was happening, so I assumed that wasn't the problem. Well, in going through my BIOS settings, I noticed that legacy USB keyboard support was disabled. Well. I enabled it and IT WORKS! Yay! It was installing and working correctly this whole time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to troubleshoot with me. I really appreciate it.

Mmm You have more luck than me, I have followed exactly the Lifehacker article but cannot boot directly from My HDD :-/

I have a Western Digital Caviar 1.5 TB hoocked on the orange/yellow SATA2_0

but when I bootstrap from it, I have the wollowing output on screen :

boot 0: GPT
boot 0: testing
boot 0: error

nevertheless, I can boot using my thumb USB and then choose my HDD is the chameleon boot GUI.

can someone heklp me to decrype the output I get from booting directly from the HDD ?

Thank you.

PS: if you ask : yes, I have copied the pumpkin installer on my desktop then have executed it to install on my 10.6 Volume.

I am successfully running my 1st Hackintosh thanks to the Lifehacker article. I figured I will post some additional info as I came across a few issues, and being a Noob to this I figured it may save someone some time.

Post Install Tips

UPGRADE THE BIOS! My board did not have the latest and greatest BIOS. I upgraded to the FB version and this fixed a few issues:

1. SL Incorrectly reporting the processor at 2.06 GHz. This was more cosmetic I think. My Windows 7 VM reported it correctly.

2. CD Burner not working.

3. Better responsiveness. This may have been in my head, but I feel the system is much zippier on certain tasks like opening files and apps.

Hi,

how do you know which version of the UD3P you have ? gygabyte site offers firmwares for v1.0, v1.1 and v1.6 of the motherboard.

I don't know which one I have :-/

How can you tell ?

Hi,

how do you know which version of the UD3P you have ? gygabyte site offers firmwares for v1.0, v1.1 and v1.6 of the motherboard.

I don't know which one I have :-/

How can you tell ?

Its tattooed next to the corner mount hole near the lowest PCI slot

Mmm You have more luck than me, I have followed exactly the Lifehacker article but cannot boot directly from My HDD :-/

nevertheless, I can boot using my thumb USB and then choose my HDD is the chameleon boot GUI.

can someone heklp me to decrype the output I get from booting directly from the HDD ?

Thank you.

PS: if you ask : yes, I have copied the pumpkin installer on my desktop then have executed it to install on my 10.6 Volume.

I received the same error regardless of which SATA port I used. Reinstalling the OS three times, copying the Halloween file to the desktop and installing it to the HD yielding the same result -- "boot 0: error".

I got this system to work by creating two partitions (160GB and 1.3TB), both GUID and MacOS Journaled. Installed the OS on both partitions.

Booting with the USB stick into the second partition, the larger one that I plan to use for data, I copied the Halloween file to its desktop. Launched that (Stellarific) Halloween file and set the target to install onto the primary partition.

Shut down.

Pull the USB stick out.

Power on.

And it's working!!!

The long and short of it is that the Halloween installer did not put the necessary files (the invisible boot file as examined via Terminal) onto the HD, even though it reported success in installation.

Hope that helps you.

Same board, case, DVD drive, gfx.

HD 1.5T WD, 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix (changed 2.0v in BIOS), and Q9550 processor.

HD in DVD in purple SATA, 0 and 1 respectively. Been running it for over 2 days, non-stop.

Thanks, Stella for sharing this process with us!

I have noticed that some USB ports are faster than others on my build.

the top 6 nearest the PS/2 keyboard plug are twice as fast as the bottom two and also twice as fast as any USB plugged into the USB headers on the board.

Im getting 35.4 MBs from the fast ones and 16.8MBs from the slow ones.

My front and rear firewire ports are the same as each other at about 14.9 MBs

I asked earlier but ..Is anyone able to see the temperature of their video card? What software are you using to do it?

Thank you.

Try using terminal method against your hard drive ( http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish ) ; and after that works then run the Halloween installer.

This method worked for me - for some reason the 'boot' file ( invisible ) and 'Extra' folder were not getting installed onto the hard drive. After they existed ( at that point the system would boot ) I could get the improvements by running the Installer against the HD.

YMMV - but I home this helps...

I have noticed that some USB ports are faster than others on my build.

the top 6 nearest the PS/2 keyboard plug are twice as fast as the bottom two and also twice as fast as any USB plugged into the USB headers on the board.

Im getting 35.4 MBs from the fast ones and 16.8MBs from the slow ones.

My front and rear firewire ports are the same as each other at about 14.9 MBs

I asked earlier but ..Is anyone able to see the temperature of their video card? What software are you using to do it?

Interesting finding on the USB ports - I'll have to check into that.

As far as the Temps go - I only get the 4 cores and the HD(s) temps. It would be nice to have any other sensors show - But I am just happy that the 4 cores show up! ( using Temperature Monitor )

I have the same motherboard (ga-ep45-ud3p), I bought a diffrent graphics card - Asus 9400gt

It all worked fine with the retail snow 10.6 - did exactly like Adam.

BUT I HAVE A Big ISSUE!!! - SL doesn't seems to recognize the FireWire interface (onboard)

I got the message : unable to list FireWire devices In System Profiler, The problem is the Firewire driver I think. -When I had iAtkos 10.5.7 it worked fine with the fw and the sound card (I didn't installed anything for that)

and I know that no driver are needed for Mackie in Snow Leopard, I also tried with an M-Audio FW410 card (installed it`s drivers and nothing !)

keep getting the error: unable to list FireWire devices In system profiler

Maybe the EP45 package screw something with the Firewire driver?

I really need my sound card working to make music :-(

Does FireWire onboard works for you? got a kext or other solution for me ??? please!!!

Yes. I just booted into the 32-bit kernel and tried a big compile. I got three (3) GCC aborts (which, as always didn't happen when I reran the compiler on the same file again) and then a KP.

Just to clarify, this was:

* 32-bit kernel (Snow 10.6.1)

* XCode 3.2 (GCC 4.2.1)

It doesn't matter if I am compiling code into 32-bit or 64-bit. In this case, I was trying to compile the Qt 4.6 preview (again, there is nothing specific to Qt, it was just a good, large project to compile).

I haven't had any problems compiling code with Xcode. I also didn't have any issues with Qt 4.5.3. I used the GCC 4.0 compiler however and not the 4.2 compiler. Both come with the Xcode 3.2.1 install from Apple. I am booting the 64 bit kernel.