Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

It's fine for me. I got a creative audigy 2zs which works and of course know how to install snow leopard.

noobs probably wouldn't understand how to make it work. oh well seems like interest is dying anyways ;)

[/quote

Are you using the rest of my stuff? curious on good feedback

Well it really is 3 kexts if you count audio.

with the recent mac pro audio update and 10.6.3 it hurts us a little bit.

So I have a solution which i posted on my blog fleebailey33.org

it is all explained there so just head thatway :|

Thank you FleeBailey! worked great for me! You should start a new thread with a detailed guide for newbies. This mobo has became one of the best solution for a powerful hackintosh machine!

Hi everyone.. I would like to say that some of the stuff I read is pretty awesome and how many of you contribute to running OSX on various machines.

I have a problem understanding a lot of it though, so I've decided to kindly ask for some help in setting my machine.

I hope someone will be kind enough to guide me in simpler terms on what needs to be done so I can get a hang of it.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty experienced with computers/programming and so on but I just never messed around with getting OSX to work on a PC and I have a Mac Pro as well.

So if you would bare with me, here's what I would need some help on:

1. Locating all necessary things and explanation on what and why things are done basically (you can direct me to a noob friendly guide or something if you hate typing)

2. How does installing vanilla Snow Leopard with some modifications to the kexts or whatever you call it affects updating OSX when Apple releases an automated major update?

3. I have ASUS P6T standard / i7 940 and dual GeForce 275s with 12gb of DDR3 OCZ 1600 ram. I'm assuming from this thread that it shouldn't be a big problem to install? I just have no clue where to find and what to use (like the Chamelon stuff etc)

4. How is this different from EFI-X for example? EFI-X I think works fine with updates on OSX? Is it because they update the EFI rom prior to updates or what? Is that what you guys do with software installs of OSX?

5. Is OSX installed with this guide and in general as functional and stable as on Mac Pro? I have a 8-core 2.8ghz Mac Pro but I'm sick and tired of not being able to upgrade the graphics cards and I don't want to pay Apple $500 for a card that's below $300 for PC. I'm thinking of selling my Mac Pro and just using my main i7 machine to dual boot to OSX and Windows 7 but I'm hesitant on how it works in general.

If you gurus would be kind enough to help me out I would really be thankful.

Thanks!

Are you using the rest of my stuff? curious on good feedback

Hi Fleebailey

I rebuilt my USB stick using Cameleon RC4, copied across your files and updated with your new boot file. Did a clean install of 10.6.1, updated to 10.6.2 no problems. Installed your updated AppleHDA_10.6.2.kext using Kext Helper, then ran

pfix to sort the permissions. Then updated to mac pro audio. It all works fine, now showing the correct CPU and graphic card with good Geekbench scores. The sound, internet, restart, sleep and shut down all work perfectly.

Good bit of work.

can some hook me up with the com.apple.boot.plist after removing the dropssdt flag. i removed the flag but still no improvement.

computer scores low on benchmarks and just feels slower in general. also higher temps then before.

Hi everyone.. I would like to say that some of the stuff I read is pretty awesome and how many of you contribute to running OSX on various machines.

I have a problem understanding a lot of it though, so I've decided to kindly ask for some help in setting my machine.

I hope someone will be kind enough to guide me in simpler terms on what needs to be done so I can get a hang of it.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty experienced with computers/programming and so on but I just never messed around with getting OSX to work on a PC and I have a Mac Pro as well.

So if you would bare with me, here's what I would need some help on:

1. Locating all necessary things and explanation on what and why things are done basically (you can direct me to a noob friendly guide or something if you hate typing)

2. How does installing vanilla Snow Leopard with some modifications to the kexts or whatever you call it affects updating OSX when Apple releases an automated major update?

3. I have ASUS P6T standard / i7 940 and dual GeForce 275s with 12gb of DDR3 OCZ 1600 ram. I'm assuming from this thread that it shouldn't be a big problem to install? I just have no clue where to find and what to use (like the Chamelon stuff etc)

4. How is this different from EFI-X for example? EFI-X I think works fine with updates on OSX? Is it because they update the EFI rom prior to updates or what? Is that what you guys do with software installs of OSX?

5. Is OSX installed with this guide and in general as functional and stable as on Mac Pro? I have a 8-core 2.8ghz Mac Pro but I'm sick and tired of not being able to upgrade the graphics cards and I don't want to pay Apple $500 for a card that's below $300 for PC. I'm thinking of selling my Mac Pro and just using my main i7 machine to dual boot to OSX and Windows 7 but I'm hesitant on how it works in general.

If you gurus would be kind enough to help me out I would really be thankful.

Thanks!

I have Macs also but I now use my Hack systems for pro-grade work. In my case I live outside of the US where prices are 120-150% higher, most pro grade things must be back ordered, and local tech support is either completely incompetent or non-existant depending on the scenario. The only practical solution was Hackintosh...but at least Apple makes money from the software and accessories I buy rather than me going 100% PC. Hacks are, IMHO, more stable and reliable than my real macs...the latest case was with the Logic/audio issue that cased overheating and fan noise in the Mac Pro. My Rampage (nearly identical to P6T in OSX compatible features) didn't experience any of these problems where the hottest it gets is about 45-50C if playing a 100 track audio file with plugins.

In the last 4 months I have not seen a single kernel panic or any other issue that couldn't be quickly corrected. Lately I've been messing with P55 systems since I've run out of things to fix in our chipset :)

When you get a chance, check out the P6T-SE guide by tweak41, flashdrive method. Quite a number of P6T (non-SE) users rely on that thread for their info also. The only difference you might see is that you may need different audio kexts but that's easy to fix. I've written several DSDT files there that will work on any of the P6 series mobos by ASUS. In fact, there is really no difference in the P6T-SE, P6T, P6T Deluxe, etc with respect to the DSDT file that is compatible with OSX and most can be used interchangeably (I've experimented with several mobos doing this). Since you are new, I'll assume you don't know what is the DSDT but as it stands it's currently the "holy grail" to getting your system running with 100% functionality. Once that's done, the rest of the things that people talk about are cosmetic issues, speeding up boot times, etc.

To answer your 4th question, we are all on hold to see what 10.6.3 will bring but most hack enthusiasts tend to stay away from EFI-X since you have no fine control over it. After the initial install, it's pretty straightforward with http://www.netkas.org providing the initial info on how to upgrade to 10.6.2. Personally I'm happy in 10.6.1 for most of my systems. EFI-X is just the chameleon code used in violation open source and that's why Psystar is pretty much despised universally...in other words they take our work, repackage it, and directly profit from it. If I was Apple I'd sue them into oblivion also.

So skim this thread and then check out the P6T-SE thread. As a pro user who combines Final Cut, Logic, Cinema 4D, MOTU, Roland, Reason, Symphobia, etc on several hacks, I can say with 100% confidence that it's a viable (and possibly better) alternative to Mac hardware since you can control the quality of the hardware that you buy. News came out recently about Mac and Foxconn. In other words Mac gets their mainboards from the same place as several other Intel based mobo vendors. The difference is that Mac doesn't use motherboards nearly as robust and durable as the higher end enthusiast boards. The same is true for RAM. Look at the heatsinks, lifetime guarantees, and clockspeeds of RAM with respect to price and then compare it to what Apple sells their "upgrade" ram in both price and performance specs.

If you can read this thread and the P6T-SE thread and it sparks an interest, you'll know if this is indeed for you. Actually what you are asking for I'm working on at the moment (guide)...hopefully I'll be finished in the next week or two complete with video guides and benchmarking examples.

On the other hand, if you are not willing to keep up on this for at least 15 minutes per day (like reading your favorite editorial) then you'd be better off sticking with Mac hardware since it does require at least some interest and an open mind that you can handle very basic Terminal commands. The reason I say this is because some people completely lose their minds at the thought of using the terminal. In my opinion, I'd say that would be the measuring stick since I don't know much about terminal either but I'm not afraid to at least give it a shot when the need arises.

okay i have been having fun so far trying to get this onto my P6T but so far I have zero luck...

I think I read this somewhere in the thread that someone else was having the same problem.

I am following the guide exactly and am getting stuck on the (com_psystar_realtekr1000: Ethernet Address ) everything seems to be going fine to that point and then it just sits there with no progress.

I set up the way I read it should be but I dont know what im doing wrong.

my setup is

Asus p6T

6 gb ram

1 2tb internal HD

1 tb internal HD

2 ATi graphics cards

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

i wish someone would make this guide simple as well...

just delete all the {censored} and remove all the old files and update signs...

and make a straight-cut.. simple.. easy to follow guide with screenshots....

like P6T-SE guide...

when ever i come to this thread...

it gives me the creep just by looking at it...

it looks so dis-organized...

please...

someone who knows how to..

and have fair amount of knowledge about this...

please make a simpler guide wid necessary files...

and is there a way to do something for the people who doesn't have access to a OSX environment...

thanks..

okay i have been having fun so far trying to get this onto my P6T but so far I have zero luck...

I think I read this somewhere in the thread that someone else was having the same problem.

I am following the guide exactly and am getting stuck on the (com_psystar_realtekr1000: Ethernet Address ) everything seems to be going fine to that point and then it just sits there with no progress.

I set up the way I read it should be but I dont know what im doing wrong.

my setup is

Asus p6T

6 gb ram

1 2tb internal HD

1 tb internal HD

2 ATi graphics cards

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

The guide posted by Searay is setup for geforce graphics cards so you will need to find the right Kext for your card from the forums. I would suggest you test with a single card. Have you setup the bios correctly, this is most important. Have a read of http://trick77.com/2009/10/12/asus-p6t-64-...osx86/#comments for this info. Also have a look at the myHack guide on

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/

I saw that the overall performance are a bit better if we start with 32bit kernel... fundamentally the 64bit kernel doesn't make any difference in workstation usage like lightroom or other 64bit applications. It's better for server apps, but not for desktop usage.

• 2 weeks later...
I made a new blog post.

I updated alot of the DSDT code and fixed the issues the users were having.

plus added jimicron to dsdt.

and more.

see fleebailey33.org for my immediate updates.

I'll test it and will report back! THANK YOU Fleebailey

Everything good so far with new files by Fleebayley. Cpu temps are 10° lower than before and geekbench score is good.

Now 10.6.3 is out... can we update? :-)

Ok, I tried the update and everything is working. If you have all the latest files by fleebailey (audio kext included) I can say that it's safe to update to 10.6.3

Can you please reupload all the files from myapplepc.com?

the files from the original guide are outdated. please see my file pack.

as reported 10.6.3 is safe. I had been running the beta for a while xD

The only problem would be audio if you did not download legacy pack from my blog.

if you have not installed legacy yet it is recommended to.

If you don't want to just download the applehda.kext from my pack and replace.

How are the geekbench scores with my new pack? also remember jmicron fix is included. More then welcome to requests. help can be found #asus chat.osx86.hu (irc)

the files from the original guide are outdated. please see my file pack.

as reported 10.6.3 is safe. I had been running the beta for a while xD

The only problem would be audio if you did not download legacy pack from my blog.

if you have not installed legacy yet it is recommended to.

If you don't want to just download the applehda.kext from my pack and replace.

How are the geekbench scores with my new pack? also remember jmicron fix is included. More then welcome to requests. help can be found #asus chat.osx86.hu (irc)

Just checked back in with this thread, and wish I had earlier. I just finished a brand new install using Tweak41s stuff along with the p6t Slim files from earlier in this thread.

Got 10.6.3 up and running with 3 caveats. Wondering if I can run some of your stuff (pfix?) to sort some of it out. The smaller issues are audio and sleep. THe greater issue is graphics. I'm running an ATI 4830, and getting it working on 10.6.0 was a nightmare. I can go through the process I went through before, but would love it if you had any suggestions before I do so.

Thanks,

Target

i want to install mac 10.6.2 on my pc which is

i7 920

p6t

msi 5850

3 gB ram

i am new to mac ..so plz help me out to install it ..

i want to know that what is EFI why we need to install it .and how to install it ..as there are so many EFI out there which will me best for me ....

and what is all kext files ....

there are so many files to download i dont understand which one to download ...or i have to download all...

• 3 weeks later...

I have successfully installed SNow Leopard 10.6.0 on my machine. Spec as below:

Asus P6t

Intel Core i7 920

Nvidia GTX260

Note: Im not using the onboard Ethernet card as it is spoilt, instead Im using Realtek 8139/810 fast family ethernet card.

I have problem, when I connect to the Internet through Ethernet connection it is extremely slow. Even I try to access my Linksys Router page(192.168.1.1) LAGS abit!!! how to solve my problem pls?