Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

its in the package on my site.

the from the alc1200 thread.

Thanks for the quick response, I will build another flash drive this weekend and let you know how I made out. The objective is to be able to upgrade to 10.6.2 with a system as stable as my current 10.6.1 build.

Using the 2 kexts + the new dsdt from fleabailey33 I installed snow leopard on a 2nd partition.

Installed perfectly fine and after set up and restart preceded to run geekbench 32bit. Scored 11785.

Updated to 10.6.2 which went fine and ran geekbench again but scored 6781.

So not sure where the difference is. It can't be the fleabaileys files as they scored nearly 12k in 10.6.0

Heres I installed if anyone cares. Not sure if I did it right but it worked.

Download the Chameleon 2 RC4 r684 Installation Package. Called FILE 1

Download fleabailey33s pack. Called FILE 2

Install the FILE 1 (Chameleon) onto the USB Drive where you restored the snow leopard installation files. After installation is complete open the USB Drive and delete the extra folder.

Open FILE 2 (Fleabaily33 file) and copy the extra folder onto the USB drive. That's it.

Reboot. Press F8. Chose the USB Drive and install. It actually gets to the install screen very fast. Installation should take 10 minutes. After it's finished reboot, press F8 and chose the USB Drive and then chose the location where you installed SL.

Using the 2 kexts + the new dsdt from fleabailey33 I installed snow leopard on a 2nd partition.

Installed perfectly fine and after set up and restart preceded to run geekbench 32bit. Scored 11785.

Updated to 10.6.2 which went fine and ran geekbench again but scored 6781.

So not sure where the difference is. It can't be the fleabaileys files as they scored nearly 12k in 10.6.0

I have exactly the same problem after a clean install with fleebailey33's files... I discover that removing the dropSSDT flag from com.apple.Boot.plist bring me back to about 9800 in geekbench... What is dropSSDT?

I have exactly the same problem after a clean install with fleebailey33's files... I discover that removing the dropSSDT flag from com.apple.Boot.plist bring me back to about 9800 in geekbench... What is dropSSDT?

But are you guys getting good scores with the dropdsdt ? on 10.6.2

All my kexts are for 10.6.2

When 10.6.3 comes out i will either post here, or i will make a new post.

Audio has changed alot in 10.6.3 so i would not update yet.

and everyone is using my boot file on 10.6.2 right?

(gonna try and add pc efi 10.6 support to it soon.)

SSDT is sorta like DSDT. So without that flag it uses the default SSDT and not searching for the modified ones inside the DSDT.

One theory on the slower geekbench scores is the native speedstepping. Will look into.

SSDT is sorta like DSDT. So without that flag it uses the default SSDT and not searching for the modified ones inside the DSDT.

One theory on the slower geekbench scores is the native speedstepping. Will look into.

EDIT:

I noticed the same thing when checking,

Pretty sure it has to do with us finally have native speedstep.

See before your CPU was running full throttle all the time.

However it speedstep is not allowing it to kick up the throttle that is an issue as well

I confirm that I got good scores removing DROPSSDT flag. I tried also cinebench.

This guide is awesome!! I was snowed in yesterday so I decided to put Snow Leopard on my P6T. After quite a bit of trial and error it booted perfectly. As far as I can tell everything worked on the the first boot... sound, ethernet 1920x1200 resolution etc.

I put Leopard on my Dell Mini 9 about 6 months ago and this blows that away. I have 2 relatively new macs and I dare to say this thing feels faster. ;-)

Now I need to work on Dual Booting.

I had a fully working 10.6.2 system since October by following the guide on the main page. However performance was not as good as i'd like so I decided to give fleebailey's files a try. Copied the files over to my OSX drive, ran pfix and rebooted. It won't boot from the main drive. I just get a blinking cursor.

So I want back to my tried and true magic stick which is unaltered from the main guide and my system still won't boot. Booting in verbose mode it told me it had an issue with the appleHDA kext. So I booted into windows, loaded up transmac, and removed it from the OSX drive. Then I booted into OSX again using my magic stick and had a kernel panic.

So now I can't get into OSX at all.

I found instructions for created a USB installer from within windows so i'll have to do that and reinstall snow leopard before I give the files another try.

I had a fully working 10.6.2 system since October by following the guide on the main page. However performance was not as good as i'd like so I decided to give fleebailey's files a try. Copied the files over to my OSX drive, ran pfix and rebooted. It won't boot from the main drive. I just get a blinking cursor.

So I want back to my tried and true magic stick which is unaltered from the main guide and my system still won't boot. Booting in verbose mode it told me it had an issue with the appleHDA kext. So I booted into windows, loaded up transmac, and removed it from the OSX drive. Then I booted into OSX again using my magic stick and had a kernel panic.

So now I can't get into OSX at all.

I found instructions for created a USB installer from within windows so i'll have to do that and reinstall snow leopard before I give the files another try.

how did you get into verbose mode if you just got blinking cursor?

Apple HDA usually reports an issue in verbose. just the way its compiled. I would put it back

use transmac to make sure all the files are correct.

Also delete extra stuff you have in s/l/e

how did you get into verbose mode if you just got blinking cursor?

Apple HDA usually reports an issue in verbose. just the way its compiled. I would put it back

use transmac to make sure all the files are correct.

Also delete extra stuff you have in s/l/e

I used my magic stick once I got the blinking cursor. It's the only way I could even attempt to boot.

That's when it told me it had a appleHDA issue and it would proceed no further. At least by deleting it I got alittle bit further in the boot.

I don't have any extra stuff in S/L/E, at least nothing I have personally added. All the custom files I was using were all on my magic stick. Everything. Didn't have anything installed in snow leopard itself aside from the previous appleHDA kext.

Unless you are referring to all the stuff that was installed there by the SL install disc?

I'm sure I probably did something wrong somewhere. I put the extras folder as well as the boot file on /

And then appleHDA kext in System/Library/Extensions and then ran that pfix file.

Hey fleebeailey33 do you mind telling us how you installed this? I'm getting a perfect installation everytime but when I update to 10.6.2 my scores drop by half even if I remove that line from com.apple.plist.

Here's how I installed using your files.

1.Restored my snow leopard disc onto my 16gb usb drive via diskutitly.

2. Installed chamaleon 2 rc4 via the installer found on insanelymac. This process results in the boot + extra folder there.

3. Deleted the extra folder on my usb drive and replaced it with yours.

Those are my steps. I didn't do pfix as you mentioned. What does that do anyways?

After installation I created my bootable USB stick by installing chamaleon 2 rc4 on a 2gb usb stick and then put your extra folder in there.

Not sure if that's accurate but it seems to make some sense to me :(.

Please let me know how you did it so I can test it your way and see if there are any differences.

Hey fleebeailey33 do you mind telling us how you installed this? I'm getting a perfect installation everytime but when I update to 10.6.2 my scores drop by half even if I remove that line from com.apple.plist.

Here's how I installed using your files.

1.Restored my snow leopard disc onto my 16gb usb drive via diskutitly.

2. Installed chamaleon 2 rc4 via the installer found on insanelymac. This process results in the boot + extra folder there.

3. Deleted the extra folder on my usb drive and replaced it with yours.

Those are my steps. I didn't do pfix as you mentioned. What does that do anyways?

After installation I created my bootable USB stick by installing chamaleon 2 rc4 on a 2gb usb stick and then put your extra folder in there.

Not sure if that's accurate but it seems to make some sense to me :) .

Please let me know how you did it so I can test it your way and see if there are any differences.

To everyone who is noticing lower scores. Its probably speedstep related.

you should also notice your tempture being lower, it is indeed an issue if it is not coming out of speed step.

also everyone please feel free to join irc.

chat.osx86.hu

i am usually in #snow leopard, And made a channel #asus just for us.

To everyone who is noticing lower scores. Its probably speedstep related.

you should also notice your tempture being lower, it is indeed an issue if it is not coming out of speed step.

also everyone please feel free to join irc.

chat.osx86.hu

i am usually in #snow leopard, And made a channel #asus just for us.

ok, i was doing some tests before i go to bed.

I can confirm to remove the dropSSDT flag, sorry about that guys!

It will be removed in a future update pack.

Also for anyone who wants the new ATI compatiblity.

please use this new boot file for us!

(everyone else can switch too)boot.zip

Please go to fleebailey33.org my site for the latest info.

any p6t users will be very excited at the work that has been done!

only two kexts needed! (3 including audio)

native speedsteppping and much more!!!

please send email to fleebailey33@gmail.com with any questions as well.

Please go to fleebailey33.org my site for the latest info.

any p6t users will be very excited at the work that has been done!

only two kexts needed! (3 including audio)

native speedsteppping and much more!!!

please send email to fleebailey33@gmail.com with any questions as well.

Built another magic stick with your files, booted fine into 10.6.1 and updated to 10.6.2 no problem. Geekbench 64 scores both showed around 9000.

Got the following problems

1 Unable to read my NTFS volumes

2 Hangs with blank screen on restart

3 Hangs with black screen on shut down

Built another magic stick with your files, booted fine into 10.6.1 and updated to 10.6.2 no problem. Geekbench 64 scores both showed around 9000.

Got the following problems

1 Unable to read my NTFS volumes

2 Hangs with blank screen on restart

3 Hangs with black screen on shut down

Hmmmm, And you have my dsdt / extra and boot file ?

reboot and restart should work fine, maybe its some other program hanging. I wouldn't worry if it doesn't take 10 minutes.

as far as ntfs can anyone else confirm?

Hmmmm, And you have my dsdt / extra and boot file ?

reboot and restart should work fine, maybe its some other program hanging. I wouldn't worry if it doesn't take 10 minutes.

as far as ntfs can anyone else confirm?

I can see my ntfs drives (read only btw)

I can see my ntfs drives (read only btw)

thats normal. good.

to everyone about geekbench scores. sorry it is making your e-{censored} seem small. use nullcpupowermanagement and run your cpu hot.

speedstepping doesn't kick in fast enough to get good scores

I used my magic stick once I got the blinking cursor. It's the only way I could even attempt to boot.

That's when it told me it had a appleHDA issue and it would proceed no further. At least by deleting it I got alittle bit further in the boot.

I don't have any extra stuff in S/L/E, at least nothing I have personally added. All the custom files I was using were all on my magic stick. Everything. Didn't have anything installed in snow leopard itself aside from the previous appleHDA kext.

Unless you are referring to all the stuff that was installed there by the SL install disc?

I'm sure I probably did something wrong somewhere. I put the extras folder as well as the boot file on /

And then appleHDA kext in System/Library/Extensions and then ran that pfix file.

So I had to use transmac to delete the files I installed in OSX and then I could boot in using my old magic stick.

Next I tried to create a new magic stick following the guide but using fleebaileys files. The resulting magic stick would give me a kernel panic every time.

Also your appleHDA.kext would not work for me. I went back to the one included with the guide on the front page and it works fine.

So I spent some time piecing files from fleebailey along with files from the guide until I came up with something that boots

I use fleebaileys files but also have to keep the appleRTC.kext from the guide. I can't boot without it.

I've spent the night trying just this file or just that file and found the only combination of files that work. Took me hours of trial and error but that's what I came up with.

Edit- Just had to edit my post to clarify/update some info after more trial and error.

So I had to use transmac to delete the files I installed in OSX and then I could boot in using my old magic stick.

Next I tried to create a new magic stick following the guide but using fleebaileys files. The resulting magic stick would give me a kernel panic every time.

Also your appleHDA.kext would not work for me. I went back to the one included with the guide on the front page and it works fine.

So I spent some time piecing files from fleebailey along with files from the guide until I not only came up with something that boots but also gives me much better performance. 3200 more points in geekbench.

I use fleebaileys boot file, dsdt, smbios, extensions.mkext, fakeSMC and IONetworkingfamily.kext

But from the guide I have to use AppleRTC.kext, EvOSpeedStep.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext and com.apple.boot.plist

I've spent the night trying just this file or just that file and found the only combination of files that work. Took me hours of trial and error but that's what I came up with.

Which Bios version are you using?

You must be doing something wrong.

None of those kexts are needed AT ALL.

Replace your Extra, With my extra from my site. Replace your boot file with mine as well. Run pfix

google it, comes with the myhack installer.

Then reboot

All up and working now after rebuilding the magic stick using your Extra folder and Boot file Restart, sleep and shut down are fine under 10.6.2. Now able to read NTFS partitions, much faster read now. Info shows the correct CPU and speed, model identifier MacPro4.1 with the correct chipset model Geforce 9800 GTX. Geekbench score has dropped by 2000, tried your new boot file but no change. I'm pleased, a good overall stable system under 10.6.2.

You must be doing something wrong.

None of those kexts are needed AT ALL.

Replace your Extra, With my extra from my site. Replace your boot file with mine as well. Run pfix

google it, comes with the myhack installer.

Then reboot

Yep, I did all that. No go. I could not boot all all. Replaced with your extra and boot file and ran pfix. Several times. It just would not boot.

I'm using an existing install of SL. Maybe it works if I do a clean install of the system with your files. Or maybe I have a bios setting off.

But that's fine. I have pieced together my own magic stick and it works great. It doesn't bother me to have to use more kexts. I had 100% functionality in 10.6.2 just following the guide on the front page. The only issue was performance was poor. Now performance is much improved.

I'm use to hackintosh's. Been running them since Tiger, then leopard, then snow leopard. Set up several buddies with it as well. I know my way around OSX. But there is something unique about my machine that is preventing your files from working on their own.

We need to consolidate this thread.

Looks like fleebailiy33s extra folder should be the basis. We need to make it VERY easy for any beginner to come here, download a couple of files, pop in the usb drive and boot w/out problems.

Is there a problem where we take your files place in the correct folders and run a command to transfer them + a bootloader onto the usb drive where snow leopard is restored?

And then after open up the usb drive and run a post install command (similar to leppy700m thread - Leppy700m thread )

Check out that thread. It's complete perfection. I made a bootcd for my gateway laptop and I could easily make a bootcd using flees files but a digital way is straight up simple.

Get program. Put files + bootloader in correct places on program. Run program which sends files to usb drive where snow leopard is. Install snow leopard. Once installed open the usb drive and run the post install which would send the files to the right place on the hd (/dsdt, com.apple.boot/smbios/extensions etc)

I've seen people use them but don't know which program they use. We could make it REALLY easy as our motherboard neeeds only 2 kexts and a dsdt!