Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Thanks for the guide, I upgraded my PC a few weeks back, and wanted to try snow leopard this time (had a working 10.5.8 before that). And since my specs are about the same including i7 920, p6t and nvidia gtx 260 gpu I'm going to give this a try.

One thing though, I already upgraded my bios to 0801 is there any problem with that or should I go back to 0707?

Thanks for the guide, I upgraded my PC a few weeks back, and wanted to try snow leopard this time (had a working 10.5.8 before that). And since my specs are about the same including i7 920, p6t and nvidia gtx 260 gpu I'm going to give this a try.

One thing though, I already upgraded my bios to 0801 is there any problem with that or should I go back to 0707?

I dont think there is a problem with that as it only addresses memory issues - thank heavens; its about time - :D

Hell - I'll update right now - if I don't come back on you will know why.

Be back soon,

Regards,

Ryan

Bios 0801 is fine - I am posting from it now.

Attached it 0801 with the custom logo for anyone interested.

Regards,

Ryan

Ok man, I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Also, on a side note I downloaded an updated AppleHDA.kext for Snow from the ALC1200 thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

and is working very nice (64bit, SPDIF and everything)

Regards,

neoinized

Hmm - The AppleHDA i have in V3 appears to be working fine - 64 bit and all. Do me a favor - send me the 3 files you are using and I am going to compare to see if somehow you have an the old EFI build or the newer one.

I want the

AppleHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

Just to see whats going on - I am in 64 bit with my V3 and audio is golden. Did you perhaps get an older version of my EFI perhaps?

PM me if you need my email address.

Regards,

Ryan

0801_logo.ROM.zip

Hi guys,

Excellent topic / forum has a bit of everything that is needed for starting to use the mac pc. ;)

Well I have the following question, since some time that I have been to install Mac OS on my pc, now with the realese of the leopard decided the time was ideal for me test and then I bought the original DVD SNOW LEOPARD installed with chameleon rc2, I can install without problems but the card is not recognized, I'm not so sound and the processor works with a core only.

What I would like to know and follow this general tutorial will get for all my hardware to work?

My intention is to leave the SL as close as possible to what you can find a real mac.

Now I leave my hardware for some suggestions:

ASUS P6T

I7 920

XFX GTX 275

Thank

Milton

Hi guys,

Excellent topic / forum has a bit of everything that is needed for starting to use the mac pc. :P

Well I have the following question, since some time that I have been to install Mac OS on my pc, now with the realese of the leopard decided the time was ideal for me test and then I bought the original DVD SNOW LEOPARD installed with chameleon rc2, I can install without problems but the card is not recognized, I'm not so sound and the processor works with a core only.

What I would like to know and follow this general tutorial will get for all my hardware to work?

My intention is to leave the SL as close as possible to what you can find a real mac.

Now I leave my hardware for some suggestions:

ASUS P6T

I7 920

XFX GTX 275

Thank

Milton

Milton,

If you follow my guide to the letter, you will have a fully functional system.

Please read the guide thoroughly as it it critical you do what it stated.

The only thing is that you have to download and patch the EFI Magic Stick with the files attached to the guide until I post the FINAL release.

Just read and you will be up and running - 64 bit and all!

You should also refer to posts in here about the EFI strings for your video - look for all my posts - they define everything you need to know.

Happy installing

Regards,

Ryan

Milton,

If you follow my guide to the letter, you will have a fully functional system.

Please read the guide thoroughly as it it critical you do what it stated.

The only thing is that you have to download and patch the EFI Magic Stick with the files attached to the guide until I post the FINAL release.

Just read and you will be up and running - 64 bit and all!

You should also refer to posts in here about the EFI strings for your video - look for all my posts - they define everything you need to know.

Happy installing

Regards,

Ryan

Thank you very mutch for you reply.

I'll do it step by step .

At this time I created a partition through of SNOW to use windows vista too.

As for emerging doubt I'll post here.I will review the previous posts too.

Thanks again

Milton

Thank you very mutch for you reply.

I'll do it step by step .

At this time I created a partition through of SNOW to use windows vista too.

As for emerging doubt I'll post here.I will review the previous posts too.

Thanks again

Milton

One quick opinion.

If i am understanding you - your intention is to run vista and SL on the same drive - while this is easily done and presents no issues whatsoever, I always advise that one chooses an extra drive for other operating systems. Just cleaner IMHO.

Regards,

Ryan

I'm using a 500GB HD partitioned into 250gb for vista and 250gb for snow leopard, I created these partitions with the snow leopard and then installed both OS.

When I do tests and check that everything is working well with the Snow and with my hardware i buy a new HD and do a separate installation.

But I already heard talk that there may be trouble for the partitioned in this way but I will try.

I boot any OS by chameleon CD, the snow leopard has not been touched since installation, just created the partitions installed the SL and then the Vista.

Not made any change to SNOW yet.

"Sorry but my English is a little rusty"

Thank

Milton

I restored the EFI to a memory stick duo and it worked pretty good. But right now I'm restoring the SL disc to a SDHC card and it says 'estimated time: 3hours' is this normal?

Yes - It can be slow at times...

Depends on your DVD speed, type, model and so on - some work better than others.

Okay so far I can tell the EFI stick works and it finds the install SL SD card in chameleon too.

When I run it -v -f it loads everything and then my monitors turns black, so I guess thats caused by my graphic card or something? I'm using a nVidia 260 GTX, do I need to install something special to the EFI stick to work right?

Okay so far I can tell the EFI stick works and it finds the install SL SD card in chameleon too.

When I run it -v -f it loads everything and then my monitors turns black, so I guess thats caused by my graphic card or something? I'm using a nVidia 260 GTX, do I need to install something special to the EFI stick to work right?

There is a thread on the GTX series cards I will look it up and post here - Mine is an EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition so all I needed was an EFI string.

I have heard of SEVERAL ways to make the GTX 2xx series cards work - here is some general basics that may get you going...

If you know how to build EFI strings, it may work or you may need the attached file itself added to the EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions directory or perhaps a combo of it and an EFI string (i left mine on the EFI that is compatible, as in it will get it basically running, in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

I would boot -v -f -x and add the attached and reboot after rebuilding the Extensions.mkext in SL. If it doesn't work, remove the string for the Device Properties key in the com.apple.boot.plist on the magic stick (i will have to post the string for just the onboard ethernet if this works for you) then reboot again. - If that doesn't work let me know.

Remember to see post #120 as well to insure your running the latest boot and DSDT.aml! In addition, the Extensions.mkext only builds properly under SL for SL - especially if you run 64bit mode. You may have to dig through this thread and look for how to remove the flags in the com.apple.boot.plist after SMBIOSdefaults=no (leave that one). Filter the topic to show only my posts - I am too lazy to look for the post # right now - it has been a tough day :(

Just remember - any edits should happen on the EFI stick except in special circumstances.

I invite anyone that has their GTX series card functional to chime in here as I, once again, use the Mac Edition since after all I technically have a Mac :)

Regards,

Ryan

ATY_Init.kext.zip

Hi there Searay_X

I got rid of my P55 i7 860 RIG :-(,

Now i've got a P6T SE Mobo with a i7 920, i am now trying your guide again

Sorry about your having to dump your rig but I doubt you will be disappointed :(

This guide should work for the SE. Someone in here used my guide with the updated files and it worked - I will double check that. I have yet to use an SE personally but its specs appear to be similar enough.

Also, I am posting a new EFI_v3.3 that will have all the necessary updates included. You may wait until later today (it is 02:03 PST here). I will update the guide when I post the new build to reflect the change. It should be posted by 10:00 AM PST...

Regards,

Ryan

Cant wait for my vanilla ;-)

I am working on the repack - My job keeps interrupting me - lol - the EFI_v3.3 will be done shortly :)

Regards,

Ryan

Update - I am about to post - I need about 1 more hour. Sorry it is taking so long but my day has been crazy

The new MagicStick has been posted with the necessary i386 folder for step 10 - Still needed. Be sure to scan image before restore.

The full pack will come later tonight :)

UPDATE: The new complete pack will take a day or so more - I am trying to make it a complete as possible such as built-in support for various ATI and Nvida cards, release notes and more.

You can use the newly posted MagicStick and original pack still but you will have to manage your own GFX - that is the major holdup on the new complete pack.

Like I said, the latest Magic Stick is FINAL it is just the supporting files such as alternate com.apple.Boot.plist files I am including for dfferent GFX setups.

The new MagicStick has been posted with the necessary i386 folder for step 10 - Still needed. Be sure to scan image before restore.

The full pack will come later tonight :)

Thanks for this guide. I've followed it and have a working snow leopard install. I feel I have learned a lot ab out EFI, bootloaders, and hackintosh in gral with this guide. My last hack installs were all distro based on gigabyte. This asus MB i think its a little more complex, most of the distros didn't want to boot for me.

The hard part for me was getting the first osx install. I tried multiple boot 132 disks, untill I found one for the p6t deluxe that worked. Suggestion, could you post a burnable iso file to create a boot cd from your "efi magic stick" I think that could make it much easier for people like me who didn't have a OSX install to work with from the start.

One thing I have noticed is that I have being getting numerous kernel panics coming from: Finder, Safari, Photoshop, is this somewhat normal?

About the new EFI Magic Stick.

Could you make a quick post with what is "new" in this 3.3 release?

Again thanks for this guide is one of the best i've followed.

regards,

Leo.

Thanks for this guide. I've followed it and have a working snow leopard install. I feel I have learned a lot ab out EFI, bootloaders, and hackintosh in gral with this guide. My last hack installs were all distro based on gigabyte. This asus MB i think its a little more complex, most of the distros didn't want to boot for me.

The hard part for me was getting the first osx install. I tried multiple boot 132 disks, untill I found one for the p6t deluxe that worked. Suggestion, could you post a burnable iso file to create a boot cd from your "efi magic stick" I think that could make it much easier for people like me who didn't have a OSX install to work with from the start.

One thing I have noticed is that I have being getting numerous kernel panics coming from: Finder, Safari, Photoshop, is this somewhat normal?

About the new EFI Magic Stick.

Could you make a quick post with what is "new" in this 3.3 release?

Again thanks for this guide is one of the best i've followed.

regards,

Leo.

There is nothing normal about KPs whatsoever! All my installs are running 64 Bit kernel and extensions are are rock solid

I am going to give a bit more info than you asked for ;) - Just for general information as well as attempt to address your issues.

The MagicStick and Install are not related directly... In other words, the idea is to have an EFI bootloader that not only works for the install but for your running installation. Think of the MagicStick as an add-on BIOS if you will - I understand that this is a gross oversimplification but that is basically what it is. This requires a working install to build but I guess I could build a disk that is bootable with the proper files to get someone without access to another Mac or current install get up and running.

I did have one guy tell me that he went to an Apple store with my files, and SL retail disk and a couple of flash drives and used aone of their display models with 10.6 on it to build the installer and EFI loader - LOL

A quick note about the install process itself - When it comes to the install, the guide here is not intended to be used with anything but an original RETAIL SL install disk. I have designed it this way for many reasons. Is that what you used?

Regarding your issues -

Just so I better understand, did you have a retail install disk to work from? If you did not use a RETAIL DISK to build the install media you can/will have issues - Distros have many modifications by the maker(s) in order to try to run on various machines and processors which means the install is NOT a true Mac install and is usually "tagged" and have other subtle mods even if you choose only the base install. My method will not function with a patched installation - only a real SL install. This is why my guide assumes you already have a Mac/Hack or at least access to one - It is a bit of a complex process if you have no way to build the files.

Like I said, perhaps I will build a boot CD but as stated, this guide assumes you have a working instll or access to another Mac. The good news is that once the install disk and MagicStick are built you can do a fresh install from "scratch" on any P6T. A catch 22 for people without a current install or acccess to another Mac I suppose.

FYI: If you build the MagicStick right you could pull a HDD from a real Mac and boot to it without making a single modification to your install and run wihtout crashes and KPs. All the patches needed are on the MagicStick!

One possibility is that you somehow didn't fully replace the v3 with v3.3 magic stick files in the pack so your DSDT and or boot are not the correct versions or you have BIOS settings causing you problems

Other things can cause KP issues such as bad memory, GFX issues, overclocking and so on - Just because it works in Windows does NOT mean that all your hardware is 100% good; OSX makes use of hardware in a slightly different manner.

You should make sure you're running the right DSDT and boot file - they are major culprits which is why I made a new MagicStick and doing a more expansive v3.3 pack - post #120 offers the boot and DSDT used in the new MagicStick; you can try applying the files from that post or check that you downloaded the new MagicStick and i386 directory and replaced the ones from the original pack.

The new package (as in an entire package) will be posted with the latest MagicStick included (instead of just a MagicStick update) which will have notes, various EFI strings, BIOS updates and additional optional files - there will also be a general "release notes" in the pack - I just rushed the release of the new MagicStick by itself so I wasn't holding up a few people that were waiting on installing SL due to this.

NOTE: If you are on the v 3.3 MagicStick you should also update your PlatformUUID to match your install (not entirely necessary but you should anyway).

The bottom line though is that if you didnt use an original SL install and used my method with a distro or something similar then I can see where you would have problems. I cannot think of 1 distro that doesnt mod or patch something in some way or another whether it be stripping files, modding and or taging. Once again, my method does not play well with a modified install

Did you try running "Software Update"? Did you check to see that there are no flags after SMBIOSdefaults=no in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I need more information regarding your setup - KPs are NOT normal and should be a fixable issue.

Regards,

Ryan

There is nothing normal about KPs whatsoever! All my installs are running 64 Bit kernel and extensions are are rock solid

I am going to give a bit more info than you asked for :( - Just for general information as well as attempt to address your issues.

The MagicStick and Install are not related directly... In other words, the idea is to have an EFI bootloader that not only works for the install but for your running installation. Think of the MagicStick as an add-on BIOS if you will - I understand that this is a gross oversimplification but that is basically what it is. This requires a working install to build but I guess I could build a disk that is bootable with the proper files to get someone without access to another Mac or current install get up and running.

I did have one guy tell me that he went to an Apple store with my files, and SL retail disk and a couple of flash drives and used aone of their display models with 10.6 on it to build the installer and EFI loader - LOL

A quick note about the install process itself - When it comes to the install, the guide here is not intended to be used with anything but an original RETAIL SL install disk. I have designed it this way for many reasons. Is that what you used?

Regarding your issues -

Just so I better understand, did you have a retail install disk to work from? If you did not use a RETAIL DISK to build the install media you can/will have issues - Distros have many modifications by the maker(s) in order to try to run on various machines and processors which means the install is NOT a true Mac install and is usually "tagged" and have other subtle mods even if you choose only the base install. My method will not function with a patched installation - only a real SL install. This is why my guide assumes you already have a Mac/Hack or at least access to one - It is a bit of a complex process if you have no way to build the files.

Like I said, perhaps I will build a boot CD but as stated, this guide assumes you have a working instll or access to another Mac. The good news is that once the install disk and MagicStick are built you can do a fresh install from "scratch" on any P6T. A catch 22 for people without a current install or acccess to another Mac I suppose.

FYI: If you build the MagicStick right you could pull a HDD from a real Mac and boot to it without making a single modification to your install and run wihtout crashes and KPs. All the patches needed are on the MagicStick!

One possibility is that you somehow didn't fully replace the v3 with v3.3 magic stick files in the pack so your DSDT and or boot are not the correct versions or you have BIOS settings causing you problems

Other things can cause KP issues such as bad memory, GFX issues, overclocking and so on - Just because it works in Windows does NOT mean that all your hardware is 100% good; OSX makes use of hardware in a slightly different manner.

You should make sure you're running the right DSDT and boot file - they are major culprits which is why I made a new MagicStick and doing a more expansive v3.3 pack - post #120 offers the boot and DSDT used in the new MagicStick; you can try applying the files from that post or check that you downloaded the new MagicStick and i386 directory and replaced the ones from the original pack.

The new package (as in an entire package) will be posted with the latest MagicStick included (instead of just a MagicStick update) which will have notes, various EFI strings, BIOS updates and additional optional files - there will also be a general "release notes" in the pack - I just rushed the release of the new MagicStick by itself so I wasn't holding up a few people that were waiting on installing SL due to this.

NOTE: If you are on the v 3.3 MagicStick you should also update your PlatformUUID to match your install (not entirely necessary but you should anyway).

The bottom line though is that if you didnt use an original SL install and used my method with a distro or something similar then I can see where you would have problems. I cannot think of 1 distro that doesnt mod or patch something in some way or another whether it be stripping files, modding and or taging. Once again, my method does not play well with a modified install

Did you try running "Software Update"? Did you check to see that there are no flags after SMBIOSdefaults=no in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I need more information regarding your setup - KPs are NOT normal and should be a fixable issue.

Regards,

Ryan

Hey thanks for your answer!

To clarify, i did ended up installing SL fresh from a retail dvd.

I might have not build my magic stick right all together, since the update wasn't there yet, but i did have to use a dsdt file from a post, since I was getting a kernel panic right at boot when I tried the one on the v3 efi release.

my .com.apple.boot did have some more stuf. arch= something, and then -32. I deleted the arch= stuff and left the -32, should I remove that also?

I am having some problems with my video card, i installed some strings that worked (its a 9800GT, i used 8800GT strings) but my monitor shows up with noise sometimes (like an old tv without a signal) but it gets fixed if i power the monitor off and power it back on...weird.

I am running 10.6.1, i didn't change the UID...

I will try to re build the stick and do the UUID when i get home today, any other hints?

I am having some problems with my video card, i installed some strings that worked (its a 9800GT, i used 8800GT strings) but my monitor shows up with noise sometimes (like an old tv without a signal) but it gets fixed if i power the monitor off and power it back on...weird.

You could try a patched NDVAresman and using GraphicsEnabler on com.apple.Boot.plist. It'll auto insert EFI strings.

Hey thanks for your answer!

To clarify, i did ended up installing SL fresh from a retail dvd.

I might have not build my magic stick right all together, since the update wasn't there yet, but i did have to use a dsdt file from a post, since I was getting a kernel panic right at boot when I tried the one on the v3 efi release.

my .com.apple.boot did have some more stuf. arch= something, and then -32. I deleted the arch= stuff and left the -32, should I remove that also?

I am running 10.6.1, i didn't change the UID...

I will try to re build the stick and do the UUID when i get home today, any other hints?

I would just use the new MagicStick or remove the flags after SMBIOSdefaults=no (as in yes, remove the -x32) and update the DSDT and boot (as you say you did). The arch=x86_32 string makes your kernel run at 32 bit and the -x32 make your extensions run at 32 bit. You can run a 64 bit kernel with 32 bit extensions but there is no need. The only flag should be SMBIOSdefaults=no. On a personal note, sometimes during the boot loader I add -x32 to run software that is not compatable or updated with 64 bit extensions yet.

When you get rid of the -x32 you need to be sure to rebuild the Extensions.mkext on your EFI MagicStick - I am sure by this point I don't have to reexplain howto do this...

As far as graphics, simple EFI strings is the key The less mods the better IMHO. The string I included will work - I have a video on how to modify the memory values and name but nontheless it will work. Get OSX86Tools and open the com.apple.Boot.plist on your Magic Stick and copy the Device Properties string into text edit. Make sure in the menu of text edit you make it plain text. Save the file on the desktop as current.hex (you have to uncheck the "use txt if no extension" when saving.

Open OSX86Tools and choose import hex/plist and import the file. Choose to save and the file as current.plist. Exit OSX86Tools without applying the sting (we are NOT using OSX86Tools to actually edit our com.apple.Boot.plist - only to conver the string from hex to xml and back to hex)

After you save the plist (which is xml) you edit the values for your card then save it. Open OSX86Tools again and select Add EFI string/Import again but this time choose the plist you edited. In the lower half of the window there will be a string - that is your hex. You can save the file as edited.hex or copy and paste the new hex string between your <string></string> under Device Properties. You will notice the ethernet card above the graphics card. Make sure there is no spaces before or after the <string></string> - Example <string>1234567890987654321</string>.

Remember to NOT USE OSX86Tools to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist as it will not modify the one on the MagicStick - you will do this manually.

Also, I like to use terminal and pico to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist since I can insure proper format ands root privelaged access. all you do is using the arrow keys got to the <string></string> line under device properties and press "control+k" which will remove the line. Press enter and then hit "tab" and enter <string></string> then place your courser over the < on the close sting and then you simply "command+v" the new string. hit "control+x" and confirm you want to save by pressing y then enter. You will go back to your prompt.

This is why I am working on the video. Much easier to see done then for me to describe it.

I have your same card in one of my machines and simple EFI strings are all that is needed. No need to modify any files.

Basically ----

You have the old EFI Magic Stick version that is currently in the pack. I am working hard to rebuild the pack but I am adding a bunch of GFX support and what to do for what card - I posted the new MagicStick so people would not have to patch the one in the pack with the boot ans DSDT.aml.

You take the guide and download the new MagicStick and do step 10 with the included i386 folder (you dont have to copy the boot file though) or from the afrorementioned post, update your current.

Sorry if any of this is confusing - I rushed through it... I am haveing another HELL day - LOL :)

Regards,

Ryan

i followed the guide and i have to admit it took me time. But i am having a problem with 'about this mac' it says 2G 800mhz ddr2, while i am running 3G ddr3 1333 and my HT is not working (all 4 cores are working though :P

Another problem i have is i cant see any of my SATA drives, i installed Snow on my ESATA drive, any ideas?