[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

@ROBASEFR and @chris1111,

Would either of you be interested in some direct 1 to 1 explicit help on getting 10.4.11 running on my hackintosh? I've installed El Cap on an external drive and run the post installer and hooked up to my hackintosh but I can't get it to boot beyond the themed start up disk screen. I'd be willing to pay for an hour or two of your time via email and Skype. I could pay with PayPal. Please message me if interested. I'd love to do this on Thursday.

Paul

Would either of you be interested in some direct 1 to 1 explicit help on getting 10.4.11 running on my hackintosh? I've installed El Cap on an external drive and run the post installer and hooked up to my hackintosh but I can't get it to boot beyond the themed start up disk screen. I'd be willing to pay for an hour or two of your time via email and Skype. I could pay with PayPal. Please message me if interested. I'd love to do this on Thursday.

Paul

No need to pay for this, simply explain what happen in verbose boot

Post Picture of the screen when its hang

Thanks for offering to help and your patience. I'm totally unfamiliar with Clover because I've been using Chameleon with DD's script all the way from Snow Leopard and have never needed to install from scratch except back when I started in 2011. So I'm very rusty. Anyway, I need some explicit help on what to do using chris1111's Post Installer.

First off, if I want to start over with the Post Installer (because I made mistakes with previous installation), do I need to delete the EFI and EFI-Backups folders on the new El Cap installed Macintosh-HD before I rerun the Post Installer? (El Cap should have installed fine already.)

1) Which Clover V2.3K r3320 Legacy do I choose for my UD5-rev1: bios or SATA?

2) Do I need to select anything else in the boot loader choices: Other Config Clover, HSFPlus, etc?

3) After boot loader is installed, I put the SATA drive in my current hackintosh exactly where my current boot drive is (10.9.5 chameleon), correct? F13 Bios is set up to read this SATA drive first for booting.

4) My hackintosh should boot to desktop in OSX from the new Macintosh-HD drive with Clover, right?

5) Then rerun Post-Installer to install driver kexts on my hackintosh? Or can I just directly install downloaded kexts into 10.11 folder, Rob's config.plist, Rob's DSDT.aml into patched folder, and my ATI Radeon 5870 rom file into ROM folder and skip using Post-Installer for kexts? Or do I do both, first PostInstaller, then manually add files?

6) Then I need to use Clover Configurator to modify Rob's config.plist file for my particular setup, right? Basically go through every tab on left and customize for my system. Which tabs in particular should I pay attention to?

Thanks again for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

After many hours of kernel panics trying to boot into El Capitan setup on the external hard drive, I bought, under a couple of people's recommendation a new video card, GTX970, which seemed to immediately help the installation process. I ended up switching to the TonyMac clover installer and got Clover loaded via a USB stick on to a new SSD. After a bunch of trial and error, my system is working well based on @ROBASEFR's config.plist and DDST.aml. I was even able to update via Software Update from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5 in App store. I'm using a MacPro 5,1 base definition. Also, I'm using a short list of kexts based on @ROBASEFR's screenshot from post 4597:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

FakeSMC.kect

realtekALC.kext

REaltekRTL8111.kext

AppleIntelE100e.kext

AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

Three big problems remain, however:

1) Cannot shutdown. Fix Shutdown and Halt Enabler are checked in config.plist, but don't seem to help. Sleep works, though it takes a couple of minutes for everything to turn off. And sometimes a drive on white south bridge SATA port will not remount after sleep.

2) My OWC PCIE Mercury Accelsior E2 SSD does not mount, even though I am booting from one "external" SSD drive attached to it and the other "external" 6G SATA connected SSD is mounting on desktop as well. The board shows on the System Hardware list, but the internal drive is not visible on desktop. I can see the drive in Disk Utility and repair it, but don't see drive on desktop, nor can I mount it. It seemed to mount with 10.11.4, but disappeared after 10.11.5 update. EDIT: After consulting with OWC, repaired with Disk Warrior and all is fine now.

3) Cannot boot with software RAID created by Disk Utility in 10.9.5. This is 2 SATA drives connected to the northbridge (blue) SATA ports on mobo. I need the data so can't reformat and recreate. May have to boot in 10.9.5, copy the data off and then try recreating in 10.11.5. But if anyone has a solution as is for 10.11.5, it would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: Had to remove drives and place in external SATA RAID box and they were readable via ESATA card. Too afraid to create another RAID on UD5 SATA ports.

Thanks to all for the generous help on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Who tries Sierra first for us UD5-users? :P

I am currently out of the loop - still haven't gotten around to install El Capitan on my main drive. So I might just fast forward to Sierra :yes:

Maybe @ROBASEFR goes first? :smoke: Big Thanks!

Who tries Sierra first for us UD5-users? :P

I am currently out of the loop - still haven't gotten around to install El Capitan on my main drive. So I might just fast forward to Sierra :yes:

Maybe @ROBASEFR goes first?  :smoke:  Big Thanks!

:smoke: I took up the glove !

Up in macOS Sierra ! Yes Success  here   :yes:

1: Build the USB 8Mb install key with latest Clover v2.3 K special edition v3 ( r3661)  Thanks Chriss1111 !

2: Copied from 10.11 EFI my kexts files, config.plist and DSDT to the same place on USB/EFI/CLOVER ( changed the 10.11 config.plist only  for my Nvidia card ( Boot arguments/nv_disable=1) and Boot default =USB "keyname"

3: ReBoot on USB key via F12 /Harddisks/my USB "keyname"

4: Once Install 10.12 Sierra up : Disk Utility and Format a sata HD "Sierra-HD"

5: Install 10.12 on "Sierra-HD"

6: reboot on 10.11 disk and relaunch Clover v2.3 K special edition v3 for Clover r3661 install on "Sierra-HD"

7: Mount "Sierra-HD" EFI

8: Copy from 10.11 /EFI my kext files in CLOVER/kexts/10.12;ACPI/patched/DSDT to EFI/CLOVER ;took the config.plist from USBkey/EFI and changed only BOOT/DefaultVolume

9: Installed extra software to 10.12 users/shared  (ie: Nvidia WebDriver Updater 1.4;ESP mounter Pro;Cloverconfigurator 4.29)

10: ReBoot on Sierra-HD via F12 /Harddisks/HD name

11:Finish install and launch WebDriver Updater 1.4 and install beta drivers

12: Mount "Sierra-HD" EFI and change in config.plist Boot arguments/ nv_disable=1 to nvda_dvr=1

13.reboot  and Voilà you'r in  :drool:

It took me all less then 2 hours.

I did some tests and remember this is beta ! Geekbench and Cinebench R15 are lower,  specialy on singlecore !

- Cloverconfigurator 4.29 crashed  !

Sleep is ok

Ethernet is ok

USB is ok

Audio ( not tested but I used Apple Audio patcher 1.3 beta from Mirone and Mickey1979 ) (I use Audio via USB
)

Here are some captures:

Stage :1

post-305243-0-84422100-1466258635_thumb.png

Final USB/ EFI:

post-305243-0-63049600-1466258669_thumb.png

Stage 6:

post-305243-0-11320400-1466258698_thumb.png

post-305243-0-04905500-1466258713_thumb.png

Test results:

post-305243-0-08605400-1466258742_thumb.png               post-305243-0-78685300-1466258772_thumb.png  post-305243-0-16167900-1466965544_thumb.png

Final:

post-305243-0-22992600-1466258821_thumb.png

One last precision:

To launch an app for any developper you have to enter  in Terminal:

sudo spctl  --master-disable

Goodluck to all  GA-EX58-UD5  owners ....

;)

• Like 2

@ROBASEFR you are using a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, correct? Did you have to change it from MacPro3,1 or did you always use 5,1?

​I've been using MacPro3,1 since 2009 and am afraid once I change it all hell will break loose. I think I tried using 5,1 years ago but my power management stopped working properly. And I am also worried about the serial number I've been using.

​Anyone else have any issues? Did anyone else have to change their SMBIOS before upgrading to Sierra?

@ROBASEFR you are using a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, correct? Did you have to change it from MacPro3,1 or did you always use 5,1?

​I've been using MacPro3,1 since 2009 and am afraid once I change it all hell will break loose. I think I tried using 5,1 years ago but my power management stopped working properly. And I am also worried about the serial number I've been using.

​Anyone else have any issues? Did anyone else have to change their SMBIOS before upgrading to Sierra?

Well I'm using MacPro 5,1 since 6 years now...

This is for GA-EX58-UD5 !  there could be some subtil differences with your GA-EX58-UD4P

Else, there could be some problems with hardware interpretation.

I use modded bios for long time :

1. Intel® RAID ROM 13.2.0.2134 (Raid0 Trim)

2. Realtek LAN ROM 2.59

3. JMicron ROM 1.07.28

4. Marvell Bios Version 1.0.0.1033 (depends on Chip-Version)

4. Marvell Bios Version 1.0.0.1029 (depends on Chip-Version)

5. Firmware 2.2.0.1125 (depends on Chip-Version)

Yours is F14q (attached)

ex58ud4p_F14q_MOD_5_6_12_Complete.rar

If yours is working ok with MacPro 3,1,  don't change !  

Or try simply,you can easily revert !

I use modded bios for long time :

1. Intel® RAID ROM 13.2.0.2134 (Raid0 Trim)

2. Realtek LAN ROM 2.59

3. JMicron ROM 1.07.28

4. Marvell Bios Version 1.0.0.1033 (depends on Chip-Version)

4. Marvell Bios Version 1.0.0.1029 (depends Chip-Version)

5. Firmware 2.2.0.1125 (depends Chip-Version)

Hi, could you please specify exactly which version you use? I still have the official F12 BIOS... I just downloaded 3 different modded versions of the F13 Bios and now I am not sure which one I am supposed to use? None says "mod11". There are:

1) ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13

2) ex58ud5f13w

3) ex58ud5f13q

and some more letters after f13

How do you update your Bios? From windows with that tool or via bootable USB thumb drive?

Hi, could you please specify exactly which version you use? I still have the official F12 BIOS... I just downloaded 3 different modded versions of the F13 Bios and now I am not sure which one I am supposed to use? None says "mod11". There are:

How do you update your Bios? From windows with that tool or via bootable USB thumb drive?

The first one is F13 mod11(ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13)( october 16th, 2012) That's the latest one I am using since 17/10/2014.  

http://www.jzelectronic.de/  Board > Support > Gigabyte Mainboards > JZ ModBIOSe X58

Manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/358905/Gigabyte-Ga-Ex58-Ud5.html?page=80#manual

Virtual Boot setup is here: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-ex58-ud5.php

Steps:

Update simply and copy de .bin file on a USBkey  (fat32)

Enter Bios setup  "DEL" on boot

Press the <Delete> key to enter BIOS Setup

Load Optimized Defaults

<F8> Access the Q-Flash utility

Select USB HDD and press <Enter>

Select the BIOS update file and press <Enter>

The process of the system reading the BIOS file from the floppy disk is displayed on the screen. When

the message "Are you sure to update BIOS?" appears, press <Enter> to begin the BIOS update. The

monitor will display the update process.

When the update process is complete, press any key to return to the main menu.

Reboot

Enter Bios setup  "DEL" on boot

Press the <Delete> key to enter BIOS Setup

Load Optimized Defaults  (important !)

F11 - Save CMOS to BIOS

F12- Load CMOS from BIOS

Now configure the bios with essentials like AHCI, USB keyboard, default boot HD etc like this:

> Advanced BIOS Features ->Hard Disk Boot Priority  chose your HD boot priority sequence

First Boot Device -> [uSB-HDD]

Second Boot Device -> [CDROM]

Third Boot Device  ->  [HDD-1]

Full Screen LOGO Show -> [Disabled]

Init Display First  ->  [PCI] chose your default GC  !

> Integrated Peripherals

ICH SATA Control Mode ->[AHCI]

enable all USB

enable LAN 1 and 2

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ->[AHCI]

Power Management Setup

ACPI Suspend Type

[[s3(STR)])]

USB Device Wake-Up From S3

[Enabled]

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN

[instant-Off]

PME Event Wake Up

[Disabled]

Power On by Ring

[Disabled]

Resume by Alarm

[Disabled]

HPET Support

[Enabled]

HPET Mode

[64-bit mode]

Power On By Mouse

[Disabled]

Power On By Keyboard

[Disabled]

AC BACK Function

[soft-Off]

PC Health Status

Reset Case Open Status

[Disabled]

CPU Warning Temperature - (not too high that the mobo can warn you ...!)

[85°C/140°F]

CPU FAN Fail Warning

[Enabled]

SYSTEM FAN2 Fail Warning

[Disabled]

POWER FAN Fail Warning

[Enabled]

SYSTEM FAN1 Fail Warning

[Disabled]

CPU Smart FAN Control

[Enabled]

At the end  F10: Save & Exit Setup and name your config like "OSX-64k" for example

Finish with  F12- Load CMOS from BIOS

F10: Save & Exit Setup and name your config like "OSX-64k" for example

( Sometimes because of dual bios you have to do a second reboot to valid the bios changes)

Good luck

I am currently posting this from my Sierra install. Went fine so far - I took your config.plist. Quite mean: your standard language is french - I had to use my high school french to get through the installation haha

I have trouble right now to install audio. There are so many options now with Toleda's patcher, one from Mirone and then there's clover patches, a patched HDA and DSDT patches. I don't even know where to start.

And I also have my usual graphic card problems where my card boots into a white screen and dies. I have to boot with a monitor attached and plug it in after a while and hope that the computer is done booting to show me the log in window.

The Bios update went fine too as far as I can see. Haven't tested all the options yet and my overclock is gone too ^^ oh well...

I am currently posting this from my Sierra install. Went fine so far - I took your config.plist. Quite mean: your standard language is french - I had to use my high school french to get through the installation haha

I have trouble right now to install audio. There are so many options now with Toleda's patcher, one from Mirone and then there's clover patches, a patched HDA and DSDT patches. I don't even know where to start.

And I also have my usual graphic card problems where my card boots into a white screen and dies. I have to boot with a monitor attached and plug it in after a while and hope that the computer is done booting to show me the log in window.

The Bios update went fine too as far as I can see. Haven't tested all the options yet and my overclock is gone too ^^ oh well...

Ok.

For audio: I think  You should try Clover kext first

For Overclock:

In bios settings :

MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Find the best equation for your Processor toggling with   CPU Clock Ratio and  x BCLK Frequency(Mhz)

;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OSX 10.11.6  is Ok here with latest Nvidia webdriver manager 1.5 and Webdrivers version 346.03.15f01 346.03.15f02

:thumbsup_anim:

post-305243-0-43889900-1469041207_thumb.png

Update:

macOS10.12 beta 2 with latest Clover r3657 and Webdriver 367.05.10.05b07

post-305243-0-51874100-1469550135_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

OSX 10.11.6  is Ok here with latest Nvidia webdriver manager 1.5 and Webdrivers version 346.03.15f01 346.03.15f02

:thumbsup_anim:

attachicon.gifCapture d'écran 2016-07-20 20.56.37.png

Update:

macOS10.12 beta 2 with latest Clover r3657 and Webdriver 367.05.10.05b07

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 17.38.35.png

Great thanks! Updated to 10.11.6

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I have an odd question to ask. Since I have almost this MOBO (see signature), I hope someone here has an answer.

I currently have a Core i7-920 CPU installed in my hack. I've had it for many years and it has been great. Overclocked to 3.5Ghz.

I was thinking about upgrading the CPU to a Core i7-975 Extreme Edition and perhaps over clocking it.

Does this make any sense and would this screw up my computer in terms of licensing, SMBIOS, Messages, iCloud and the rest. Do those actually look at the CPU that is installed and would they think I now have a new machine? And of course is it even worth it to go from 920->975?

Thanks!

I have an odd question to ask. Since I have almost this MOBO (see signature), I hope someone here has an answer.

I currently have a Core i7-920 CPU installed in my hack. I've had it for many years and it has been great. Overclocked to 3.5Ghz.

I was thinking about upgrading the CPU to a Core i7-975 Extreme Edition and perhaps over clocking it.

Does this make any sense and would this screw up my computer in terms of licensing, SMBIOS, Messages, iCloud and the rest. Do those actually look at the CPU that is installed and would they think I now have a new machine? And of course is it even worth it to go from 920->975?

Thanks!

Well I got Core i7-920 before i switched to Xeon W3680 6 core  ( = Core i7-980x)

Of coarse a Core i7-975 Extreme Edition is 4 core ! but you could push it to 4.5ghz with a good cooler !

Look to my Geekbench results in my signature and compare yours ... (I overclocked it not much (3.46Ghz))

Your type of Processor has nothing to do with type of machine ! Just don't modify anything in your SMBIOS (MacPro 5,1)

:)

Well I got Core i7-920 before i switched to Xeon W3680 6 core  ( = Core i7-980x)

Of coarse a Core i7-975 Extreme Edition is 4 core ! but you could push it to 4.5ghz with a good cooler !

Look to my Geekbench results in my signature and compare yours ... (I overclocked it not much (3.46Ghz))

Your type of Processor has nothing to do with type of machine ! Just don't modify anything in your SMBIOS (MacPro 5,1)

:)

Hmm, since I have my machine overclocked to 3.5Ghz already it seems unnecessary to upgrade my CPU to 975. I guess I could over clock that chip closer to 4Ghz but not sure I'd be gaining that much extra speed. Especially for the extra wattage that would be required to run the 975 overclocked.

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded my unit to 10.12, having sound issue now. Could you share your solution for the sound? 

System Information reported all the audio jacks, but on System Preferences there are no sound output.

I use this Apple HDA patcher 1.5 wich is about the same method as Toleda

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

AppleHDA Patcher.app_v1.5.zip

inject audio 1 in Clover (config.plist)

Good luck