[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is a bug with the latest install script, but trying to set the boot screen and/or theme fails on finding the "Default" directory, which didn't seem to have been copied into /Extra? I manually copied the dir and then I was able to change themes/boot pic

Wonder if someone would share some tips

concerning my new setup.

currently running a stable and fast 10.6.4 in 64 bit

with a Gigabyte EP-45 DS 4 , Quad 9550 and an ATI HD 5770 (without ATY init)

using Aseres 1.9 BL (with the correct framebuffer for the 5770) Cartris MacBios 0.8

and only 2 Kext in E/ never had any issues...

Now If i see the problems here naturally

I am sort of nervous exspecting my new hardware :-)

Gigabyte X58-UD5 rev.2.0 - i7 940 - 6 GB Mushkin Redlines

Is there anyone with some tips avoiding a fresh installation by modifing my current setup

Where are the caveats?

What kexts are you using in Extra?

What other modified kexts may you have in S/L/E, other than the GPU related stuff?

Are you using a modified DSDT file?

The sound chipset is the same on both boards (Realtek ALC889a), so this may work as-is, assuming it's a typical Gigabyte pinout.

Ethernet should work OOTB, as well.

I'm curious how you injected the ATI 5770 info without the ATY_Init.kext. Is it just the Aseres 1.9 bootloader and GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

Not sure if this is a bug with the latest install script, but trying to set the boot screen and/or theme fails on finding the "Default" directory, which didn't seem to have been copied into /Extra? I manually copied the dir and then I was able to change themes/boot pic

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll look into it.

The themes should copy over during a bootloader install. Is there a particular bootloader you are using where these themes are not getting copied over? Or, is it just any of them?

MAJ

Huh this is hard stuff, especially since all the os x stuff is new to me and there are so many things with hackintosh you just should know...

Anyway, my brand new system is:

ud5 mobo

i7 920

2x 1tb samsung spinpoint

4x 2gb corsair 1333mhz

geforce gtx 460

I've tried now making a boot USB stick on my girlfriend's macbook. Partitioned it, script works fine (as far as I understand) and after quitting the script and sticking it to the pc, it will either stop USB keyboard working or freezes the whole system, who knows which. Can't get further than frozen up boot menu which comes after no boot device has been found or stuck in bios flash screen (can't get even in to the setup) if the usb stick has been plugged in before starting up the comptuer.

I've tried also burning the boot cd (the one made with the script from the topic). BIOS is configured to boot just CDROM. Boot works fine till "cdboot:done" part, then changing in the snow leopard retail dvd doesn't do anything. F5 doesn't help. Doesn't go anywhere....

Any idea what's wrong?

Also, half accidentally got gtx 460 coz there were severe delivery difficulties for gts 250 (which should have worked fine). Could that have something to do with the problems? As far as I can think, I should still be able to get way further and even to osx with lo res.

Can amount of RAM (8gb, many seem to have 6 for some reason) or installed M-Audio 2496 PCI card affect? Should I remove one stick and the sound card for now?

Any help would be really appreciated!

P.S. Are bios updates necessary for this to work, or otherwise recommended? If so, any links to the easiest and safest way to do it with ud5 mobo.

P.P.S. One more newbie question: is it USB FDD for usb stick booting? Tried all usb choices through though and didn't make a difference because the stick froze the {censored} by just plugging it in...

And it seems to be Snow Leopard 10.6.3 dvd but I guess it shouldn't matter in the installation?

The themes should copy over during a bootloader install. Is there a particular bootloader you are using where these themes are not getting copied over? Or, is it just any of them?

MAJ

Ok I think I know what happened, I only had the extracted Hackinstaller.zip and didn't install any of the EXTRA files yet when I had run the hackinstaller script.

The Hackinstaller.zip doesn't contain a Themes/Default which it probably should? This way at least the Default directory will get copied over when installing a boot loader?

I must have copied the the themes from Extra_Themes.zip into where I extracted the Hackinstaller.zip files at some point before poking around the script copying them manually to /Extra/Themes/

Ok I think I know what happened, I only had the extracted Hackinstaller.zip and didn't install any of the EXTRA files yet when I had run the hackinstaller script.

The Hackinstaller.zip doesn't contain a Themes/Default which it probably should? This way at least the Default directory will get copied over when installing a boot loader?

I must have copied the the themes from Extra_Themes.zip into where I extracted the Hackinstaller.zip files at some point before poking around the script copying them manually to /Extra/Themes/

You're right. I should have the Default theme in there at the very least. Will fix.

Thanks!

MAJ

maiatico6,

Can you disconnect that WIN 7 drive and see if the problem persists?

There are a few instances where the OS must probe all drives, so this can still be an issue. We'll find out for sure with it disconnected.

MAJ

So after testing out the rig without the windows HDD I noticed drastic improvement. Now The only time I seem to have problems when I'm beachballed is when working in any CS5 program, now it could be because of their pirated nature, but I think it might be because this is the first adobe suite to only run in 64 bit. Now my hackintosh is still running 32bit, and I was told that even in 32 it can run programs in 64, but I dont know that for a fact.

Is it possible that is the reason the system would screw up is due to the architecture I'm running the OS in? Or is it more likely I just have a bum copy of the suite?

And is it possible to run in 64 bit yet?

Newbie !

1)I tried to install SnowL. with the Method 3 install from a MacMini 10.6.4 to a external GUID HDD.

But I can't get any further than " System Uptime in Nanoseconds " ...

I tried the EFI install type with the Chameleon RC5 bootloader .

My System -> Intel I7 920 ; Gigab. UD5 F12 BIOS ; Nvidia GTX 260 ...

What should I do with the " Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts for Snow Leopard ".ZIP !?

There are default Kexts already in the hackinstaller right ? Should I overwrite the Kexts from the .ZIP to the Hackinstaller Folder?

2) Now I tried to install Snow. via the Extra install type and the Chameleon RC4.

The Hackinstaller installs all the kexts besides

" 1 of 12 kexts in /Extra failed to make it into cache!

See logs for details. "

ATY_Init.kext does not match OSBundleRequired conditions.

should I do something because my graphic card ?! Nvidia ?

ON BOTH /EXTRA and /EFI I get an system uptime hanger...

mmh what can I do ?

I have a fully functioning Hackintosh and am desperate to keep it that way. ;-) I'm currently running 10.6.2 and want to upgrade to 10.6.4. If I remove the SleepEnabler.kext and run the combo updater am I good to go or will I have to jump through some more hoops? I'm terrified that I'll run the installer and be left with a blank screen on re-boot... or worse.

I have a fully functioning Hackintosh and am desperate to keep it that way. ;-) I'm currently running 10.6.2 and want to upgrade to 10.6.4. If I remove the SleepEnabler.kext and run the combo updater am I good to go or will I have to jump through some more hoops? I'm terrified that I'll run the installer and be left with a blank screen on re-boot... or worse.

I am watching this too, same question. I am adding, how to add configuration to boot into windows? I never worried about this before but recently I was given Windows 7 and Office 2007 for work. I cant just reboot unless I change all sorts of BIOS settings. I am not trying to hijack the OP but I would very much appreciate being directed to where I can learn about booting Windows, using this same thread setup. Yes, still running 10.6.2 and wondering about updating again.

THanks

DD,

i have a question.

i am running a non stable setup and i would like to know why. i am getting KP when i use program like handbrake or quicktime when i do converting.

could you tell me if some of those kext are not right for this MObO...

here the setup

ga ex58 ud5 i7 920

12 corsair ram

1.5tb HD x2

gtx 295

no airport just ethernet

bluetooth dongle

vanilla install 64bit

here is the kext:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

FramebufferDisabler.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IO80211Family.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

Thanks!

oshak

after booting from boot HDD ( METHOD #2: Install via Boot Drive )

the monitor is going black and keeps saying "no signal "

what can I do ?

Probably you have a unsupported VGA card.

My System -> Intel I7 920 ; Gigab. UD5 F12 BIOS ; Nvidia GTX 260 ...

Could I take a other Graphic Card driver , perhaps a default one ?

You could install ATYinit to S/L/E or use DD's script to insert efi strings for your card into your boot plist. Note that if you decide to use ATYinit, you must boot in 32 bit mode else it wont load.

I just purchased a 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager memory stick, and it is brutally slow on my i7 hackintosh. I used Disk Utility to restore my OS X Install DVD image onto it, and it too 11 hours!

I have been unable to find any meaningful info on slow USB transfer speed problems (I spent a half hour googling it). Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Tx

Hey DD,

I think I may have found a snag in the latest build. When I try to go a time machine restore, I put my 10.6 disc in and select the time machine restore option from the list. I get a message saying that the DVD is not the correct version, and that I need to put a 10.6 install DVD in and try again. Just a heads up :)

Hi, many thanks for this guide.

Please could you tell me if there is some modded bios that improve the performances and the stability of OSX unders ths mobo? In the guide you have shared the links of few bios (the last in the list is the F12) those are officials or moddeds bios?

I'm asking this, becouse I've problems of stability, if i set the XMI in the bios, with the memory at 1600mhz OSX don't run, I must to set it to 1066 for start the OS.

Could you share the best settings of the bios (for this mobo) about the cpu and memory?

All the best, D.

Hi, many thanks for this guide.

Please could you tell me if there is some modded bios that improve the performances and the stability of OSX unders ths mobo? In the guide you have shared the links of few bios (the last in the list is the F12) those are officials or moddeds bios?

I'm asking this, becouse I've problems of stability, if i set the XMI in the bios, with the memory at 1600mhz OSX don't run, I must to set it to 1066 for start the OS.

Could you share the best settings of the bios (for this mobo) about the cpu and memory?

All the best, D.

The bios DD lists are the official releases. As far as your memory goes, what is your BCLK set at and what are you trying to run your CPU at?

What kexts are you using in Extra?

What other modified kexts may you have in S/L/E, other than the GPU related stuff?

Are you using a modified DSDT file?

The sound chipset is the same on both boards (Realtek ALC889a), so this may work as-is, assuming it's a typical Gigabyte pinout.

Ethernet should work OOTB, as well.

I'm curious how you injected the ATI 5770 info without the ATY_Init.kext. Is it just the Aseres 1.9 bootloader and GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

MAJ

Hi DD

just came across my former post

now well it happened (see my new rig) :-)

To boot in 64 bit with my former EP-45 and the HD 5770 without ATY-init

I used a modified Asere 1.1.9 BL with Vervet as correct framebuffer and only Graphicsenebler= yes argument.

I used no DSDT and Cartris Macbios 0.8 , without his suggested BL (it used incorrect Motmot framebuffer for ATi 4xxx GPUs)

System worked fine with Aseres BLD and was very responsive.

New system has no support for Macbios yet , and I used a DSDT .

Thanx for your efforts

Best

as

Hey DD,

I think I may have found a snag in the latest build. When I try to go a time machine restore, I put my 10.6 disc in and select the time machine restore option from the list. I get a message saying that the DVD is not the correct version, and that I need to put a 10.6 install DVD in and try again. Just a heads up ;)

Thanks for the heads up, Sidewinder33! That was a stupid bug, as I was testing to see if it would recognize and reject a Tiger OS Install (10.4).

I got that fixed now, but will not release it until other to-dos are done, as well.

If you or anyone else needs to get this TM issue resolved now, just PM me and I'll recommend what you can do with the code or just send a fix.

MAJ

The bios DD lists are the official releases. As far as your memory goes, what is your BCLK set at and what are you trying to run your CPU at?

Hello, those are the settings took from the CPU/Memory section of my bios (F12):

impbioscpu.th.jpg

impbiosmemory.th.jpg

with this parameters OSX and Vista 64 start correctly, but for to start Seven 64 (that is on the same hd of Vista 64)I must to select the IDE mode in the bios, otherwise in AHCI mode Seven crash at the startup with a blue screen.

Those are the results of Geekbench on the same PC, for

OSX 10.6.4 64bit: 9448

SEVEN 64 bit: 8525

VISTA 64 bit: 8463

What do you think?

I would to improve the performances of the system, I've seen that in this forum much mates, have overclocked the i7920 with good results and a good stability.

Another problem is that the system show me, that the memory are working at 667Mhz, sdram ddr2 and the CPU is a 2.66Ghz Quad-Core intel Xeon!

You can to read my setup from the signature, many thanks!

Cheers, D.

Hello, those are the settings took from the CPU/Memory section of my bios (F12):

impbioscpu.th.jpg

impbiosmemory.th.jpg

with this parameters OSX and Vista 64 start correctly, but for to start Seven 64 (that is on the same hd of Vista 64)I must to select the IDE mode in the bios, otherwise in AHCI mode Seven crash at the startup with a blue screen.

Those are the results of Geekbench on the same PC, for

OSX 10.6.4 64bit: 9448

SEVEN 64 bit: 8525

VISTA 64 bit: 8463

What do you think?

I would to improve the performances of the system, I've seen that in this forum much mates, have overclocked the i7920 with good results and a good stability.

Another problem is that the system show me, that the memory are working at 667Mhz, sdram ddr2 and the CPU is a 2.66Ghz Quad-Core intel Xeon!

You can to read my setup from the signature, many thanks!

Cheers, D.

hmm odd, I'd turn down the memory mapping from extreme, all the other stuff looks stock, and should boot easily. I personally have my system upped quite a bit over your settings and my system is very stable. Just to make sure, you have all the bios settings set correctly that DD outlined on the first post correct? Which bootloader are you using? Have you modified the smbios.plist?

I boot my windows 7 x64 version without having to change any of my bios, I do however loose my sleep in windows when I boot through chameleon for some reason.

hmm odd, I'd turn down the memory mapping from extreme, all the other stuff looks stock, and should boot easily. I personally have my system upped quite a bit over your settings and my system is very stable. Just to make sure, you have all the bios settings set correctly that DD outlined on the first post correct? Which bootloader are you using? Have you modified the smbios.plist?

I boot my windows 7 x64 version without having to change any of my bios, I do however loose my sleep in windows when I boot through chameleon for some reason.

Hi and thanks for the fast reply!

I'm sorry I don't understood perfectly about the "DD outlined" that you have mentioned.

In a first moment (when I've replied in the first post) OSX was most instable, after the actual bios settings (showed in the pictures), the system seem to be ok, but I can't to start windows seven, it crash soon after the boot.

I've installed osx from a Iaktos S2 V3, with Chamelon (the last version) without the others hardisks for do not to risk; after this step, I've reconnected the hds and I've started Vista64, from this I've used easyboot for to add OSX on the bootlist, so the boot manager is of Windows.

With the actual AHTC mode, I can to start Windows Vista 64 and OSX 10.6.4, but not Seven 64, otherwise, if i select the Ide mode, the reverse.

About the smbios.plist I don't have still modified it, honestly I don't know from what I can to start. Could you help me?

I'm very happy of to study this OS, it's very fast and rock respect to Windows, also from the benchmarks it seem evident.

I've upped again the CPU whit "easytune" from Window, until to 3.00ghz (the yellow step) but I've reduct the memory frequency to 1500mhz, and from the geekbench I've reached 10116, It's a good score for my setup?

The OSX now seem stable, but I wish to improve the performances, and to resolve the right recognition of the memory frequency and mine CPU model and frequency.

I don't have installed kexts or edited files, after iaktos, and I think that this not is good.

Have a good day, D.

Hi I have an ex58 extreme, I think it´s similar to ud5, I have installed the retail 10.6.3 with the guide of this post. But when I try to install the update to 10.6.4 the system crash when boot. I have tried with the script again post installation, editing the com.apple.boot.plist, with the flags -x -v cpus=16. I don´t know what to do. Please any ideas.

My system:

i7 965@3.8ghz

GA EX58 Extreme

6 Gb OCX 1600MHz

EVGA GTX295 v2 DP

With 10.6.3 I have all running well.

Thanks and excuse me for my english. :(

Hi and thanks for the fast reply!

I'm sorry I don't understood perfectly about the "DD outlined" that you have mentioned.

In a first moment (when I've replied in the first post) OSX was most instable, after the actual bios settings (showed in the pictures), the system seem to be ok, but I can't to start windows seven, it crash soon after the boot.

I've installed osx from a Iaktos S2 V3, with Chamelon (the last version) without the others hardisks for do not to risk; after this step, I've reconnected the hds and I've started Vista64, from this I've used easyboot for to add OSX on the bootlist, so the boot manager is of Windows.

With the actual AHTC mode, I can to start Windows Vista 64 and OSX 10.6.4, but not Seven 64, otherwise, if i select the Ide mode, the reverse.

About the smbios.plist I don't have still modified it, honestly I don't know from what I can to start. Could you help me?

I'm very happy of to study this OS, it's very fast and rock respect to Windows, also from the benchmarks it seem evident.

I've upped again the CPU whit "easytune" from Window, until to 3.00ghz (the yellow step) but I've reduct the memory frequency to 1500mhz, and from the geekbench I've reached 10116, It's a good score for my setup?

The OSX now seem stable, but I wish to improve the performances, and to resolve the right recognition of the memory frequency and mine CPU model and frequency.

I don't have installed kexts or edited files, after iaktos, and I think that this not is good.

Have a good day, D.

Well I might suggest reinstalling your OSX setup. On the first post DD has given very good instructions on the different methods that can be used. I've never used easyboot, so I'm not sure if that could be causing any of your issues, but I do know if you follow the steps outlined by DD your system will be up and running very smoothly with minimal fuss.

I've found that using a boot cd seems to work better on our boards to launch and install OSX for the first time. I cant recall which one I used directly, but there are several located in the thread here.

After that following DD's instructions allow you to setup your OSX partition. In addition to that using a bootloader shows all the bootable partitions available and allows you to boot into windows from the same screen you can boot into OSX with no change to the BIOS needed.

I know its not an ideal method to reinstall but sometimes you just have to hit the reset button (trust me I've done it several times) I'd also very strongly setting up a small backup boot partition for the times you muck around, change stuff and mess up your system. It saves you lots of time and an incredible amount of frustration when you need to undo some self inflicted damage.

Now DD,

I've also come across another odd occurrence. When I run the kext installer (I believe option 5), it proceeds through installs the kext and updates the extensions.mkext. No trouble there, the issue I've been having is that a lot of the times its only updating one of the helper partitions in my RAID setup. I have to manually view the partitions and move the respected kexts and extensions.mkext over to the un updated partition. The thing that strikes me as odd is while its installing and updating the extenetions.mkext it says its installing it in both partitions. I noticed this after messing with some LAN kexts, I uninstalled one put another in and when I checked the partitions, one still contained the old one and the other the new one.

I was just wanting to let you know my experiences if you haven't already noticed this. As always I'm humbled by your coding skill, and very thankful for all your hard work, keep up the great work, because your script has saved my ass a number of times already, ha ha ha.

Jeff

Hi I have an ex58 extreme, I think it´s similar to ud5, I have installed the retail 10.6.3 with the guide of this post. But when I try to install the update to 10.6.4 the system crash when boot. I have tried with the script again post installation, editing the com.apple.boot.plist, with the flags -x -v cpus=16. I don´t know what to do. Please any ideas.

My system:

i7 965@3.8ghz

GA EX58 Extreme

6 Gb OCX 1600MHz

EVGA GTX295 v2 DP

With 10.6.3 I have all running well.

Thanks and excuse me for my english. :(

Hey Jatar have you added pmVersion=20 as a kernel flag? Also if you had sleepenabler installed did you remove it before you updated? Sleepenabler is version dependent, and the one that worked with 10.6.3 does not work with 10.6.4 and causes kernel panics. Hope that helps, keep us posted.

Jeff