[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

"arch=i386" will boot you in 32-bit mode. Remove it to boot into 64-bit mode, if that is what you're asking.

In this case (or "arch=x86_64"), unfortunately Mac OS X just does not start with my bootloader Chameleon RC3.

As I wrote earlier, the use of other bootloaders leads to flights of helicopters inside the computer case (all the fans at maximum speed), and a black screen of my 23" Apple Cinema HD.

P.S. I found this link, on regularly updated bootloader, the current version Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r352, everything works fine :)

Geekbench:

4079d4a124cat.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks for the excellent script!! I have a ud5/i7/6gb dominator ram all working on 10.6.4, but I have one slight problem I hope someone could help me with.

My Asus Radeon 4870 1GB is fully recognised and works with the system BUT only if the two dvi displays are connected up and BOTH are on. One is connected directly to the monitor via DVI-DVI the other connection is to my Onkyo HTX-22HD amp through DVI-HDMI (for my projector). If i try just one on then the screen just disconnects (screen black) but the computer remains on, the display come back once I reconnect the cabes or switch the amp back on.

It's frustrating as I can't get sound as I have the optical connceted to the amp as well on another channel. If I select the audio channel on the amp the sounds works perfectly over the optical but the screens disconnect, so I can hear but not see whats happening.

I'm hoping this is something silly i've missed. I installed the system through a seperate hard drive (kalyway 10.5.2) already on the i7 setup and built the dsdt on the system through it. As I say everything seems working and I was able to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 fine by simply editing the plist to pmVersion=20 flag, it's just this one issue. I would just like the monitor to be the primary display (as I probably won't use the projector as a screen). I tried installing the whole snow leopard again with just the monitor connected but it still did the same thing i.e. I had to plug a cable into the other dvi connector. I hope all this makes sense and I'd really appreciate any suggestions ;)

dazza2411,

I have no suggestions other than to simply try a unused adapter on the other port. Perhaps a DVI-VGA adaptor. It seems we need to trick the card to think it's connected to something. Other than that I got nothing to offer, as this is strictly a video card issue and unknown territory for me. Visiting graphics forums with related issues may be the only source of solutions.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Maj,

My 10.6.4 install doesn't sleep right - it seems to shutdown instead of sleep. When I wiggle the mouse or hit a key to wake, it boots as if from a cold boot. GA-EX58-UD5 board, kernel flags are: arch=x86_64 pmVersion=20 -v

Thanks,

Chris

Maj,

My 10.6.4 install doesn't sleep right - it seems to shutdown instead of sleep. When I wiggle the mouse or hit a key to wake, it boots as if from a cold boot. GA-EX58-UD5 board, kernel flags are: arch=x86_64 pmVersion=20 -v

Thanks,

Chris

I assume from the pmVersion flag that you're using the sleepenabler.kext?

Have you used the "Sleep fix" in the DSDT patcher? If so, I wonder if it may be interfering.

Any added peripherals in your system or USB devices?

What type of optical drive do you have.

However, the reboot sounds like the kernel related sleep problem that the sleepenabler.kext fixes.

MAJ

dazza2411,

I have no suggestions other than to simply try a unused adapter on the other port. Perhaps a DVI-VGA adaptor. It seems we need to trick the card to think it's connected to something. Other than that I got nothing to offer, as this is strictly a video card issue and unknown territory for me. Visiting graphics forums with related issues may be the only source of solutions.

best of wishes,

MAJ

No probs, many thanks for the response. Tried a dvi-hmdi adapter but got no signal on the monitor

Quick update: WORKING!!! DVI-HDMI dongle didn't work but.....

Tried one port connected directly to the monitor via DVI-DVI, the other port I put on a DVI-VGA adapter (not connected to anything) and hey presto the monitor stayed on, yeah!! Was able to switch the amp on to the optical for sound now too. Thanks again for the excellent script :(

I assume from the pmVersion flag that you're using the sleepenabler.kext?

Have you used the "Sleep fix" in the DSDT patcher? If so, I wonder if it may be interfering.

Any added peripherals in your system or USB devices?

What type of optical drive do you have.

However, the reboot sounds like the kernel related sleep problem that the sleepenabler.kext fixes.

MAJ

Yes to sleepenabler.kext

Yes to sleep fix in dsdt patcher

2 SATA DVD burners, both on ich10 onboard, 1 is pioneer, 1 is lg

A few peripherals, like dbt-120 bt dongle with apple magic mouse, MOTU pci-424 PCIe audio card, FW800 PCIe card...

FWIW, I get the same message on shutdown as well, followed by KP: pmap_flush_tlbs() timeout: CPU(s) failing to respond to interrupts....

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks for all your hard work

Hey all,

I've been running my hackintosh for about a year now ever since this guide originally popped up pre-snow leopard and its been a great machine. DD's guide has been just solid and a couple months ago I decided to even make things simpler by using Cruisar's method so I'd have less kexts to worry about.

However, over time I've noticed my hackintosh has become unreliable and constantly beach balling me. Programs will freeze frequently and even something as simple as moving apps around on my iphone in itunes causes stutters and beachballs.

Now this hackintosh is a core i7 with 6 gb of DDR3 ram. There should be no reason that itunes or any program would cause this many problems. Is it necessary to do a complete reinstall of the OS to get it functioning properly? Honestly I am at a complete loss for what the issue could be so I'm not even sure what the next step would be.

Anyone else having problems like this or any recommendations?

I'd rather not have to take on the task of reinstalling the OS or any other major tinkering since I am a freelance filmmaker and student and need this rig to do all of my work for clients and class.

Also, is it safe to intall the Apple graphics update over software updater without fear of bricking my system?

Thanks for any help you can offer

maiatico6,

I'd first suspect something up with your hard drive. That's a typical response to a failing drive - when the system is requesting data from the drive and must wait an unusually long period for it. Note that this is just a hunch and not necessarily THE problem in your case. But, anytime the GUI is requesting I/O (input, data, etc.) and it doesn't receive it promptly as expected, it'll go into gridlock and you'll get a beachball.

EDIT: I find SMART Utility especially valuable for checking out the status of the drives, but this one isn't free.

Could your drive be asleep when this is happening? Once awake and disk access is regular, this shouldn't happen again until a specified idle period.

I think the default is 10 minutes. I find 10 minutes annoying, as the beach ball will come after each 10 minute period. If "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in System Preferences/Energy Saver is off, then all this is moot.

If it is on, you can find out how long the interval is in Terminal:

pmset -g

You can set the interval longer, say 60 minutes:

sudo pmset disksleep 60

I think the Apple graphics update for your nVidia card should work flawless with no issues.

MAJ

Yes to sleepenabler.kext

Yes to sleep fix in dsdt patcher

2 SATA DVD burners, both on ich10 onboard, 1 is pioneer, 1 is lg

A few peripherals, like dbt-120 bt dongle with apple magic mouse, MOTU pci-424 PCIe audio card, FW800 PCIe card...

FWIW, I get the same message on shutdown as well, followed by KP: pmap_flush_tlbs() timeout: CPU(s) failing to respond to interrupts....

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks for all your hard work

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext?

Have you tried the DSDT patcher without the sleep fix?

You don't have a modified DSDT file, do you (other than the modifications done by the script)?

MAJ

Well working fine, thank you for this guide and the files !

I used the Preboot CD and SL was on an USB Stick with 8GB - worked fine.

Only bad thing about my new Hack Mac:

I have a NV GTX 460 grafix card !

Any chance to get "more" than 1024x768 ?

Hey DD thanks for the quick reply!

I do not have my hard disks set to sleep when possible so I guess that isn't the issue, because that would be the easy fix and if I wanted easy then I should have ponied up the cash for a real Mac Pro :)

I did however purchase the Smart Utility program you mentioned. My Snow Leopard drive passed the program, but my Windows 7 Drive is failing. Can having another internal or external drive adversely effect the OS's performance to where I get beachballed? Or would that only make a difference when actually using the other HDD?

Thanks again for your help DD!

maiatico6,

I'd first suspect something up with your hard drive. That's a typical response to a failing drive - when the system is requesting data from the drive and must wait an unusually long period for it. Note that this is just a hunch and not necessarily THE problem in your case. But, anytime the GUI is requesting I/O (input, data, etc.) and it doesn't receive it promptly as expected, it'll go into gridlock and you'll get a beachball.

EDIT: I find SMART Utility especially valuable for checking out the status of the drives, but this one isn't free.

Could your drive be asleep when this is happening? Once awake and disk access is regular, this shouldn't happen again until a specified idle period.

I think the default is 10 minutes. I find 10 minutes annoying, as the beach ball will come after each 10 minute period. If "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in System Preferences/Energy Saver is off, then all this is moot.

If it is on, you can find out how long the interval is in Terminal:

pmset -g

You can set the interval longer, say 60 minutes:

sudo pmset disksleep 60

I think the Apple graphics update for your nVidia card should work flawless with no issues.

MAJ

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext?

Have you tried the DSDT patcher without the sleep fix?

You don't have a modified DSDT file, do you (other than the modifications done by the script)?

MAJ

So, since the binary-patched AppleHDA.kext for my ALC889 didn't work, I figured I'd give the VoodooHDA.kext and prefpane a try. Problem: when I try to load the prefpane, I get an error "Can't get registry-entry path" and System Preferences crashes.

Any ideas? I just want sound. :)

Thanks for the great script and copious support, MAJ!

I have run into a peculiar problem. After being abroad for a while, I came home and dusted off my UD5-based hack'. It started up just fine in my old install (10.5 with early version of your script), but then I figured I should upgrade to Snow Leopard and read up on the newer script and everything. I made a boot disk from a 10.6.0 image with the script, but when I plug it in, the computer freezes at the splash screen (POST code 50 - init. keyboard and mouse).

I have since tried all sorts of stuff, including burning a preboot cd, which starts up but doesn't let me do anything (keyboard doesn't work). After scratching my head and trying different bios settings to no avail (turning off legacy usb support makes it boot, but only into my old install), I finally tried switching from PCEFI to C2rc5 (the one in your script) and now it passes the splash screen and goes all the way to Verifying DMI Pool Data... and nothing.

Is there something obvious I'm missing, or do you have some suggestion on what to try?

(sorry if I've missed something earlier in the thread, I've tried to follow it but there's a lot of stuff in here and the search doesn't work, as you know)

Ok, so I've already had some progress by myself.

I redid my boot disk with the script, switched to c2rc5 and went back to the hack'. This time, it went through to the boot selector screen, loaded past "DMI" and went to Chameleon's splash screen. Where it freezes.

I don't know if it's my keyboard that doesn't work in Chameleon, or if something crashes and leaves the display intact. It shows my old install and the new boot disk, but I can't select anything and no key presses do anything.

Is is possible that something is wrong with my hardware? I have Bios F12 and everything seems just dandy when I boot into my old 10.5 install.

Is is possible that something is wrong with my hardware? I have Bios F12 and everything seems just dandy when I boot into my old 10.5 install.

If you have a working install on another disk, why do you run the DD install script from there, and avoid using boot CDs. That's the way I work (make sure you switch between boot drives by selecting in the bios rather than boot loader screen otherwise you may get strange behaviours).

Cheers

Jon

Jon: Well, I just read that installing SL from Leopard is a big hassle, but more importantly, I want to reformat my internal drive to make a raid for SL, which kind of makes it hard to install from it. But thanks for the suggestion.

As for my problem:

I figured out what was causing the no keyboard issue in Chameleon. Sometime during my trial-and-error I had switched off usb keyboard and mouse support in the bios. This of course didn't prevent me using it to enter bios or using them in my old install, but it was needed for Chameleon.

Now I ran into a new problem though. Chameleon loads up the boot drive, but hangs during the startup process (it tries to creat ramdisks for /Volumes and other folders, but fails).

I'm now trying another approach (making the "boot disk" a full install of 10.6.4 from my SL-running MBP). We'll see how it goes.

Jon: Well, I just read that installing SL from Leopard is a big hassle

hmmm, i used DD's script about a year ago to install 10.6 from 10.5 and i didn't have any issues. if anything i think it went more smoothly than my initial 10.5 install from iatkos v7

Only bad thing about my new Hack Mac:

I have a NV GTX 460 grafix card !

Any chance to get "more" than 1024x768 ?

Unfortunately, no time soon.

The Drivers for the 400 series Nvidia cards only work for the gf100 chip based cards (480/470/465). The 460 uses the gf104 which while in many respects is a better chip (cooler, less power hungry, very efficient) does not work with those drivers. Currently, you are basically running in a default video mode, sort of like how even with out drivers pretty much any card in a windows system can run in VGA (640x480). So until some drivers are released, that's all you get and no QE/CI either.

Someone could release a Mac 460 tomorrow or nVidia could take pity on us and release some, but I'm not expecting any for months quite frankly. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another 6 mo. Might even be never, since Apple appears to have gone ATI for the current generation of Pro Machines. The only ones still using the nVidia chips are the notebooks and the mac mini, but those are all fairly low powered chips. My nVidia 8800 gts a 3 yr old card, pulls 50% better open GL performance than the nVidia 330 in my brand spanking new core i7 MBP.

You may be familiar with this thread already (since you have the 460 working at all), but this is the one I'm checking, hoping to someday get my 460 working.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=580

Success!

After much tinkering and thinking and reading and trying different things, I have managed to get my SL installed on a software raid0 on my two WD 1TB drives.

Here's what I had to do (simplified):

1. Install SL on USB drive using DD:s script with C2RC5 r426 bootloader and d00d's modified DSDT.aml. Only kexts are fakesmc, legacyhda and realtek1000 (haven't actually tested either sound or network yet, so might have to tinker extra with those). Native power management and cstates seem to work fine. Changed com.apple.boot.plist to disable GUI and add Graphics Mode.

2. Boot said drive.

3. Format raid and install boot loader manually using this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467. Added raid drive's UUID to kernal flag in com.apple.boot.plist on the helper partitions.

4. Copy mach_kernel from / to raid helper partitions.

5. Clone startup drive to raid drive.

6. Remove Extra from raid drive.

And there it is. Somehow, older bootloaders (pcefi and c2rc4) won't even let me pass post to enter bios (no idea why), but with rc5 r426, everything seems just peachy so far.

Gonna try the sound and network, and sleep and such now to see how stable it is. But at least I'm up and running now.

Big phew on not having any hardware problems :-)

Update: Turns out neither sound nor network worked. I had to change LegacyHDA to another version and put the realtek driver into /s/l/e. Sleep works as expected.

Hi guys,

i was looking for a way to make a sapphire 4870 toxic (Ven_1002 & ID_0x9440) sleep in 64bit mode on 10.6.4.

This worked like a charm for me!

Now my EX58/i7 920/6gb ocz/4870 toxic/Velociraptor/HAF 932 works with sleep, restart, audio, network, timemachine.

Thanks to DD, d00d, aschar, Duvel300 and all the others of the osx86 thing.

I had a few problems with this installation I thought I should document.

My system EX58-UD3R core i7 940 2933MHz, 6GB RAM.

NVIDIA GTX 285 graphics.

Firstly, this was my first Hackintosh build. Thank you to all for making this possible for me as I doubt I could have done it without the original HackInstaller script and the other helpful comments on this forum.

Anyway, I had anything but smooth sailing. Although I loved the HackInstall script it caused a black screen when booting out of the install disk. I fixed this by booting into single user mode:

-s at boot

Then at the prompt,

mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*.kext

reboot

This let me boot into 1024x768 graphics mode.

After installing 10.6.3 on to my drive the same thing happened when I tried to boot off the new system. I used the same work around to be able to boot into it.

Then I got a kernel panic from the SleepEnabler.kext. I tried this with pmVersion=19 setting and this made no difference. The only way I could boot in was to delete this completely. I tried different versions of the kext including those that allegedly work with 10.6.3. Well none worked on my system (the way I tried to use them...)

Then I had to replace the NVDA drivers that just did not work. I used Netkas's NVEnabler in extra. Although I could get 1680x1050 resolution with this (native to my monitor) it just said I had an unknown Nvidia card. So I then went off and downloaded the ROM from the card and used osx86tools to find a specific EFI string which I am now using (this string was different to all the others I have seen)

So anyway, far from seemless installation and there was a huge learning curve for a newbie But I am glad I finally have OSX again. I had a Macbook pro but it blew up and was too expensive to fix. Now I can have the best of both worlds without having to pay $$$ for Mac hardware. I am truly amazed at the community that has built up around osx86 and thank you to all who made this even feasible.

Hi folks,

I try to explain my Problems, sorry for my English i am from Germany.

I have installed 10.6.4. and some things making problems. Here a few questions.

1. When i boot i have a whole Errors, but i cant find an Errorlog. In Dev/ there is no log file. Where can i find it?

So if i find it i can post it here so perhaps someone can help- Ithink i found it, Kernel.log is the name, i atached them.

2. When i shutdown the computer on the next boot my mouse and Keyboard are dead. Reset, reboot everythings fine again. What could this be?

3. I have a Radeon 1650 Pro Dev ID = 0x71c7. How can i get this card to work? Ideas?

My first 3 questions more to come...

Thanks

Andy

Edit:

to 2. I tested a littlebit, when i Reboot, or shutdown at the next start the OS will not work, i can move the mouse, but everything is dead, the Dock the Menu (on top). But if i put an USB stick in, it comes to the desktop. If i pull it out the errormessage comes too.

if i press the reset button (instead of reboot or shutdown) next time OS starts normally.

Boot_non_working.rtf

Boot_working.rtf