[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Thanks for that info. It's helpful.

Here's my only suggestion: Anytime a drive is plugged in (external), make sure you restart the script or reselect your target volume (#17). I'm thinking that, perhaps, a volume was introduced after the script was started and that may have created some issues. I can't think of what else.

If you ever plan to repeat those install steps with the external drive connected and you find it behaving oddly, let me see the install.log. Unfortunately, the log that was posted doesn't show that external drive connected (or if it was actually connected after the script start, that may explain some things, but can't be for sure).

But, I want to thank you for working through this, as it'll help me get this worked out to be as painless as possible for everyone. That's the goal. -_-

MAJ

Digital_Dreamer:

I just did the last install just to replicate the problem, here is the install.log

http://tinypaste.com/9f536

Let me tell you that i followed Steps 2, 5 and 7

At Step 9 i can't see the RAID partition

Also i used Step 8 to View RAID helper partitions, but both of them do not have the DSDT.aml inside.

I went to the step 17 and it says that there is a duplicated mount point. So i removed it then everything went correctly.

UPDATE: I was able to recreate the problem without using that external drive and removing the NTFS drive, so, i don't know but maybe the Script is not mounting/unmounting correctly the RAID helper partitions under certain conditions after selecting the install method at the beginning of the script.

The system is working correctly, but one time i rebooted and open Script and enter to 9)Plist Editor, and i was not able to see the system partition, i did a lot of tricky movements around the script ending at step 17 then starting again to see the partition on menu 9.

I have an extra question: Is it necessary to install the BSD package with the PrebootCD Method? Or this step is exclusively used when installing from Leopard?

P.S. You didn't told me if would it be possible to integrate the DSDT.aml into the prebootCD, just to make life easier and avoid annoyances. Thanks.

Thanks

Digital_Dreamer:

So, I've tried all three pre-boot CDs, but I keep getting the same kernal panic.

This is from booting with the pre-boot CD you uploaded yesterday in verbose mode.

2duyz9x.jpg

My build is very similar to yours. Same board.

antovasa,

Yep, it's a duplicate mount point. And, like you said, it's because the helper partition is not getting unmounted before continuing. If it doesn't get unmounted, the script attempts to mount the next helper partition and, due to the fact that it has the same name, this creates some issues, as it's really reading/writing to the wrong drive. The system will really get confused, as it has two paths to read/write.

It may be that the partition is "busy" at the time of the unmount. A 'force' unmount is not always advisable unless you know no disk operation is taking place, which could lead to file corruption. So, I'm going to have to do a little work on this to prevent it from happening.

Thanks for that info.

One thing that may help alleviate this issue a little is renaming your helper partitions to different names (i.e. Boot_1 and Boot_2). It's not a solution, but may prevent the script from making the problem worst. Just View Partitions and, while it's mounted in the Finder, rename the partition.

Again, thanks for that info. I'll work on this for a bit.

The BSD package is the foundation of OS X, so it should be part of the "essentials". I don't think this should be optional, AFAIK.

EDIT: I re-read that and I think I know what you're talking about here. No, running the BSD.pkg is only necessary if you installed SL from Leopard. If you used the PrebootCD to boot into the SL installer, then there is no need to run the BSD.pkg for permission fixes, etc.

Yes, a DSDT.aml file can be included in the PrebootCD. No problem. Take your ready made one and place it in /Kexts_10.6/ Boot_Disk/Extra and the script will take care of the rest by including it in the boot.plist of the PrebootCD.

Sumrall,

Darn!

Is this from trying to run the installer or trying to boot into the new install?

I've never heard of running into these graphics related issues on a installer. What installer disk are you using? Is it a genuine Mac OS X Install DVD?

Perhaps, I can make one for you with GraphicsEnabler turned off and a different bootloader.

MAJ

As for the BIOS setting, that would appear normal, as Snow Leopard will reset the BIOS settings. Until we get a patched DSDT (CMOS reset fix) in there, you'll have to keeping loading your settings at each boot.

Really? My CMOS would reset itself every time, until I installed/made a DSDT file. Now it doesn't reset the CMOS, but it hangs on shutdown/restart. Forcing it to shutdown after it hangs seems to have no negative effect.

Speaking of raid, does anyone know of a good value hardware-based RAID?

Areca = god, but they can get expensive. Phenomenal, unbelievable customer support (even for non-paying customers). Seriously. Best customer support I've ever gotten, and fast as hell, too. Really good cards, as well.

@dd: Do you have any idea how I could go about getting my sound working? My board has an ALC889 (not a, like the board that is the focus of this thread has). I've tried patching AppleHDA, no luck. I tried VoodooHDA, got a Kernel panic. I have a feeling that I did both of those wrong, but the guides are kinda sparse and it is difficult to figure out which files you're supposed to actually download.

Really? My CMOS would reset itself every time, until I installed/made a DSDT file. Now it doesn't reset the CMOS, but it hangs on shutdown/restart. Forcing it to shutdown after it hangs seems to have no negative effect.

Well, I probably wasn't very clear, but I was basically saying the same thing as you just did. :)

The CMOS will keep resetting until a DSDT patch is created.

@dd: Do you have any idea how I could go about getting my sound working? My board has an ALC889 (not a, like the board that is the focus of this thread has). I've tried patching AppleHDA, no luck. I tried VoodooHDA, got a Kernel panic. I have a feeling that I did both of those wrong, but the guides are kinda sparse and it is difficult to figure out which files you're supposed to actually download.

Have you tried this binary patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC889?

MAJ

its been a while since I have been on here.

2 quick questions.

1.) I am still running on 10.6.2 because of fear that updating will remove my ability to use hdmi to my tv screen, is anyone running 10.6.4 without having that issue?

2.) off topic, but I had a drive crash on me and when I go to repair it says, "invalid B-tree node size" "error: disk utility can't repair this disk. ...disk, and restore your back-up files." I know there are programs I can buy (around $100) to recover the data, but is there anything else I can do command line or a free program?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work DD

I thought maybe I've been having issues because of my install CD, so I went out today and got an official OS 10.6.3 CD.

I tried, while on my current hackintosh (with leopard), to run the script to prepare the other hard drive (plugged in internally and GUID formatted). When I get to the installing of the OS, it gets to the very end (somewhere after the main programs and printer drivers) and fails...

It did this twice, so I tried to proceed anyway. I ran the the Kext/Kernal installer. I then tried to run the DSDT patcher (because I AM on the machine that I will be using) and it said compiling failed/failed to acquire the IO registry.

Next, I rebooted with the pre-boot cd (and yes I've been trying all of them). The new install shows up (looking good, I thought), but the boot fails.

First time it failed, the apple logo loading screen asked me to restart. The next time it failed I was seeing this in verbose mode:

5o8qbo.jpg

I don't know if there's anything helpful showing there, but that's what I saw right before it seemed to freeze.

I don't have hardware that hasn't worked for others. I have the actual retail OSX install. I'd like to use Chameleon 2 RC4, but so far this isn't working for me.

Update: I just thought of something. This HD was used for the previous install method of leopard (the old guide). Is there perhaps an old lingering EFI partition that is messing with this new script? I forget how to mount the EFI partitions. There used to be a script. I just thought that since they don't show up in Disk Utility, that maybe only the visible volume was erased.

Update: I erased the whole volume using the terminal diskutil. It didn't help. Pre-boot CD + Retail Install CD is still giving me that same kernal panic from my 1st post this week.

Sumrall,

Looks like you made progress. Those install errors will appear at the end if you are installing from Leopard and don't turn off the "extras" like printer drivers, etc.

When using the script to install the bootloader, it will check for a "lingering" and conflicting install on the other partition and prompt you to delete/erase it. (If installing for Extra, it will check EFI partition and vice versa.)

This screenshot appears to indicate that the boot process has just about completed, but is not able to show video, unless there is a ATIRadeonX2000.kext related KP that follows it. Does it still KP with message regarding the ATIRadeonX2000.kext?

I know you have a ATI 4870, but what brand is it and what type of video ports does it have? You may have a unusual or non-reference version. At any rate, there's something about the graphics that's stalling the boot process.

If I were you I would try the following in Single-User mode (-s):

mv "/Volumes/BOOT_DRIVE_NAME/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext.original"

This will just rename the ATIRadeonX2000.kext kext and prevent it from loading at boot. See if that gets you in.

(I wouldn't bother with permissions as we don't want it to load anyway.)

MAJ

Yeah, I forgot to turn off the unnecessary install options from snow leopard.

I have 10.6.3 completely installed (through my current leopard hackintosh). I have run the Hackinstaller script except for the DSDT patch.

When I boot, I unplug the leopard HD and the newly prepared HD is recognized just fine. Then, yes, I do keep getting the KP involving the ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

My card is a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB with two DVI slots and an S-video.

I tried removing the kext and here's what I saw:

2191gf9.jpg

Sumrall,

Regarding the screenshot - and, it just hangs at that point? Can you get the optical drive to eject with the eject key on keyboard (indicating that it's at the desktop)?

Is your monitor plugged into the bottom/lowest DVI port? Have you unplugged and replugged in the video cable?

Have you tried a different port or an DVI>VGA and VGA>DVI adapter?

How about removing the GraphicsEnabler=Yes from the boot.plist?

I'd wonder about removing all ATI kexts in Single-User mode (-s):

rm -rf "/Volumes/BOOT_DRIVE/System/Library/Extensions/ATI*"

Does anyone else have a suggestion here?

MAJ

Sumrall: Have you tried tonymacx's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] boot CD. I have used that to boot several boards including my X58-UD3R.

It's best now to use a BootCD to get started rather than try to load from Leopard. Unfortunately, your choice of video card is getting in your way. The couple of screen shots you have shown indicates that Mac is happy except that Mac's ATI drivers and your card aren't playing nice. I would suggest getting an Nvidia to get your install off the ground, I have had very good success with a number of 9500GT cards - at least 5 or 6 different cards in as many different builds. Once you are up and running, you can swap in your ATI card and see if you can get it to play.

I realize that ATI cards generally provide more 'horsepower' for the money, but they are such a pain to get to work I don't think they are worth the trouble.

So I tried to install the AppleHDA.kext. Followed the steps on the download page, including rebuilding the cache with pfix; no problems. Reboot, kernel panic. Reboot, verbose. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/483335...523c238ca_b.jpg (Power management? 16 different CPUs? WTF?) Reboot, ignore cache. Same thing. Reboot, verbose, after physically deleting the cache from Windows (with MacDrive)...same thing.

What the hell did I do? I guess this was because I rebuilt the cache with pfix. But just...I don't even understand how this happened. :)

Well, when the boot seems to hang (like in my previous screen shot) I CAN actually eject from the keyboard. I can also hear the sound fx of the volume being changed. So I guess that means that the OS is loading, it just doesn't like my card like Everdone said.

Maybe I got lucky, but I have this card working on my previous build. I'd like to try and get it working in SL as well.

So, DD, I realize that my card isn't exactly the same, but you didn't need anything extra (outside of your script) to get yours working?

Perhaps I could try some of the kext talked about here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214075 ?

To make sure I'm doing it right, the kext go into "_Kexts_For_Extra_Cache" and not directly into the Extra folder? Do I have to update the boot cache afterwards?

Update: Actually, I had the sound on this time and I could hear the intro video/music of the OS install process, so I know it's just booting ok now.

AutumnJazz,

For some reason the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not loading. This is the kext that disables the AppleIntelPowerManagement kext that is KPing in your case.

I don't know anything about "pfix" but I'd be weary of mixing different tools in the install process that may not work well with each other. You probably just created a boot cache from the AppleHDA.kext and nothing more. So, all the other kexts are not loading, because they were not included in the cache build.

If you used "ignore caches" at boot, you will still have this issue, as the bootloader has no way of knowing that the kexts are in the "_Kexts_For_Extra_Cache" folder and loading them. It expects a boot cache only, in this case.

Sumrall,

Fortunately, in my case, I didn't have to do anything different to get into a fresh install or updated install. However, I didn't have any resolution control or QE/CI. After applying the QE/CI Exotic patch 10.6.4.pkg patch from netkas, I was back in business. Additionally, I have a CRT, so have to use a DVI/VGA adapter. That may have improved my chances, as well.

BTW, you're not using the newest ATY_Init.kext from netkas that was designed for the 58XX cards, are you? I tried the new one and got a very slow boot and no QE/CI. So, I switched back to the older version, which is now in the latest script version. It may behave differently on a 1-core 4870.

Yes, the kexts need to go in the "_Kexts_For_Extra_Cache" folder, not directly in Extra. If you are dropping them in there, then run the Update boot caches to build that cache (mkext file in Extra). Notice that some kexts, like ATY_Init.kext don't actually work in Extra - no boot cache will be created from it because it's not geared for "Local-Root" (it has "Safe Boot" as OSBundleRequired string). So, this kext will need to go in "_Kexts_For_System" (inside the _Kexts_For_Extra_Cache" folder).

best of wishes,

MAJ

I found, on netkas' page, that people were posting the same exact KP involving the ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Especially under the 10.6.2 page, because that's when they started having issues I believe. (I would link this, but that's against the rules, no?)

Of course this was right after 10.6.2, but some people had to use pre-updated kexts and a modified evoenabler.kext and something about adding the device ID. There were pretty similar responses to 10.6.3, just didn't see anyone post the exact KP.

I'm getting bogged down with suggestions coming from every direction, so maybe someone can help me sort through this.

graphicsenabler=yes

EVOenabler.kext

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

QE/CI Exotic patch

plugging in an extra DVI dongle into the other port

Mods and device ID

Is any of this going to work against DD script?

Also, through netkas' site, I found a guide on flashing the Graphics card and they talk about the sapphire 4870. However, if I tried this I bet I won't be able to boot into my current build and I'd have nothing to work from. Plus, I haven't seen anyone on this board mention flashing.

Before any of this, I'm just using the script and a 10.6.3 install disk and I get the KP, after removing the ATIRadeonX2000.kext, I don't get the KP, but the boot seems to hang (though I can hear the OS continuing). Keep in mind that I'm having to set up the new boot drive from leopard on my current hack.

Any help sorting through this would be incredible.

I found, on netkas' page, that people were posting the same exact KP involving the ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Especially under the 10.6.2 page, because that's when they started having issues I believe. (I would link this, but that's against the rules, no?)

Of course this was right after 10.6.2, but some people had to use pre-updated kexts and a modified evoenabler.kext and something about adding the device ID. There were pretty similar responses to 10.6.3, just didn't see anyone post the exact KP.

I'm getting bogged down with suggestions coming from every direction, so maybe someone can help me sort through this.

graphicsenabler=yes

EVOenabler.kext

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

QE/CI Exotic patch

plugging in an extra DVI dongle into the other port

Mods and device ID

Is any of this going to work against DD script?

Also, through netkas' site, I found a guide on flashing the Graphics card and they talk about the sapphire 4870. However, if I tried this I bet I won't be able to boot into my current build and I'd have nothing to work from. Plus, I haven't seen anyone on this board mention flashing.

Before any of this, I'm just using the script and a 10.6.3 install disk and I get the KP, after removing the ATIRadeonX2000.kext, I don't get the KP, but the boot seems to hang (though I can hear the OS continuing). Keep in mind that I'm having to set up the new boot drive from leopard on my current hack.

Any help sorting through this would be incredible.

I too am having a graphics issue and need some help w the script. :(

I used the newest script and followed the directions and have 10.6.4 installed working well ( nice job Maj ) :) I got excited as well when I saw the news on Netkas site about support for the HD5870. I have had one sitting in a box for months now without being able to use it. I also saw that DD mentions it being compatible w the new script.

I changed graphics enabler to = No

I am on 10.6.4

I installed the kexts from netkas site

My machine boots and the card is recognized in system profiler

post-386268-1280258674_thumb.jpg

post-386268-1280257943_thumb.jpg

post-386268-1280258061_thumb.jpg

My problem is resolution. I am currently at 1600x1200 by inputting that in my boot.plist

I have included some photos of the screen- I cant take screenshots.

It says " card was not posted - already has keys set " I dont know what that means...

What is the best upgrade path for HD5870 using the script - or optional installs.

Any advice or success stories? Would love to hear them, Thanks in advance.

post-386268-1280257923_thumb.jpg

AutumnJazz,

For some reason the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not loading. This is the kext that disables the AppleIntelPowerManagement kext that is KPing in your case.

I don't know anything about "pfix" but I'd be weary of mixing different tools in the install process that may not work well with each other. You probably just created a boot cache from the AppleHDA.kext and nothing more. So, all the other kexts are not loading, because they were not included in the cache build.

If you used "ignore caches" at boot, you will still have this issue, as the bootloader has no way of knowing that the kexts are in the "_Kexts_For_Extra_Cache" folder and loading them. It expects a boot cache only, in this case.

So, do you have any idea how I could fix it?

So, do you have any idea how I could fix it?

You'll need to put the AppleHDA.kext (or whatever kext you were trying to install) in with the others in _Kexts_For_Extra_Cache, Then, update boot cache.

Or, put the kext in the script's folders at Kexts_10.6/Audio, then run Kext/kernel installer.

MAJ

You'll need to put the AppleHDA.kext (or whatever kext you were trying to install) in with the others in _Kexts_For_Extra_Cache, Then, update boot cache.

Or, put the kext in the script's folders at Kexts_10.6/Audio, then run Kext/kernel installer.

MAJ

How do I update the boot cache if I can't boot? ;)

Well, I'm booted up and logged into SL. Currently my ATI 4870 is reading as 4890 and the resolution sucks, but everything else seems good.

I removed some of the ATI kexts and the ATY_Init.kext and used only LegacyATI4800Controller.kext. Perhaps if I add the device ID to this kext the graphics card will load properly? I haven't figured out how to get the ID or add it yet, so if someone wants to save me some time with a heads up, that'd be great.

I'm happy with the progress, though. ;)

How do I update the boot cache if I can't boot? ;)

Boot into Single-User mode (-s) and at the prompt type buildcache.

You're going to need to do this quickly before it KPs from the powermanagement kext. It may KP during the cache build. But, I'd think that there should be enough time to, at least, get the cache built for the Extra kexts. Just reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

:P

MAJ