[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Boot into Single-User mode (-s) and at the prompt type buildcache.

You're going to need to do this quickly before it KPs from the powermanagement kext. It may KP during the cache build. But, I'd think that there should be enough time to, at least, get the cache built for the Extra kexts. Just reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

:)

MAJ

Maj,

Any ideas on my HD 5870 predicament? I could sure use them...

Well, I'm booted up and logged into SL. Currently my ATI 4870 is reading as 4890 and the resolution sucks, but everything else seems good.

I removed some of the ATI kexts and the ATY_Init.kext and used only LegacyATI4800Controller.kext. Perhaps if I add the device ID to this kext the graphics card will load properly? I haven't figured out how to get the ID or add it yet, so if someone wants to save me some time with a heads up, that'd be great.

I'm happy with the progress, though. :)

Good news! Congrats. Persistence pays off.

And, you learn a lot in the process.

I'm pretty sure the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext already has the device ID for your card in it. Device and Vender ID: 0x94601002

For the time being, you can add a Graphics Mode key in your boot plist and put in a better resolution like 1280x1024x32.

It needs to be a VESA compatible resolution, like the one I just posted, one that your GPU can display without drivers. I think the bootloader can display a list of valid resolutions for your setup in the boot menu's Video Modes. I forget how to do that at the moment.

MAJ

Maj,

Any ideas on my HD 5870 predicament? I could sure use them...

fade2nada,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. It's just not my area of expertise. Plus, I have no experience with those new cards.

I just know that netkas said the ATY_Init.kext for the 58XX cards is beta, so it's a work in progress. Just getting it to work period, was the first challenge. Now, I suspect, he's working on getting it to work for the different port versions.

Given that the MacPro has been released (well, in August, anyway) with a ATI 5870 BTO, perhaps another OS update may be on the way with better support, I dunno. The drivers are already there, but how complete they are is anyone's guess.

Looks like you followed his directions with GraphicsEnabler=No. And, you've obviously booted in 32-bit mode (arch=i386), as the ATY_Init.kext will not work in 64-bit mode. Make sure you have his latest ATY_Init.kext. It may be that he has a more recent version, more recent that the one I included in the script.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Good news! Congrats. Persistence pays off.

And, you learn a lot in the process.

I'm pretty sure the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext already has the device ID for your card in it. Device and Vender ID: 0x94601002

For the time being, you can add a Graphics Mode key in your boot plist and put in a better resolution like 1280x1024x32.

It needs to be a VESA compatible resolution, like the one I just posted, one that your GPU can display without drivers. I think the bootloader can display a list of valid resolutions for your setup in the boot menu's Video Modes. I forget how to do that at the moment.

MAJ

fade2nada,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. It's just not my area of expertise. Plus, I have no experience with those new cards.

I just know that netkas said the ATY_Init.kext for the 58XX cards is beta, so it's a work in progress. Just getting it to work period, was the first challenge. Now, I suspect, he's working on getting it to work for the different port versions.

Given that the MacPro has been released (well, in August, anyway) with a ATI 5870 BTO, perhaps another OS update may be on the way with better support, I dunno. The drivers are already there, but how complete they are is anyone's guess.

Looks like you followed his directions with GraphicsEnabler=No. And, you've obviously booted in 32-bit mode (arch=i386), as the ATY_Init.kext will not work in 64-bit mode. Make sure you have his latest ATY_Init.kext. It may be that he has a more recent version, more recent that the one I included in the script.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Maj,

Thanks man. I will keep trying. It seemed to good to be true :) I had finally gotten my Hack to 10.6.4 working very stable ( doing lots of retouching and FCP work, throwing large RAW files at it in Bridge and watching it churn the previews out ) The Hack has been very good to me :) Thanks to your help and the script you made I saved myself a lot of $$$ and also learned a lot about computers which fascinate me.

I will keep trying and if I succeed will try to help others - as you have.

Worse case scenario- I reisntall my 4790 and wait awhile...

Either way its cool. Thanks for your input. Hows the retouching?

~marcoANTONIO

You're going to need to do this quickly before it KPs from the powermanagement kext. It may KP during the cache build. But, I'd think that there should be enough time to, at least, get the cache built for the Extra kexts. Just reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

;)

MAJ

<3 I'll try that now.

Well, I thought I was in the clear. I got my graphics card recognized and working. Everything seemed to be working (minus Sleep), but then I start getting a KP while I'm logged in. First time it happened was when I clicked on the Airport Icon on the top menu bar.

21f0j9x.jpg

(sorry it's blurry)

I saw something about cpus=1. What does that do and could it help?

If not, any ideas?

I boot fine, just get a KP now while logged in (I didn't before and I didn't really change anything).

Update: I think it IS the wireless card. I thought I had checked it, but apparently not. I'm back to ethernet connection and no KP... I know this isn't the place for individual hardware issues, so time for some more trial and error! ;)

One more thing, when adjusting the About this Mac info, what is it that is overriding the info I enter in the script?

One more thing, when adjusting the About this Mac info, what is it that is overriding the info I enter in the script?

The smbios.plist has a key, SMcputype, with the string, 1281, that defines the "Quad-Core Intel Xeon."

This is actually the proper Apple defined name, but anyone is free to do as they wish.

If you remove that key and string, the user created ATM value should appear in the box.

All this is explained in the script's "Modify processor info" Note, but no one seems to read anymore. ;)

best of wishes,

MAJ

I saw something about cpus=1. What does that do and could it help?

Some new installs (ASUS) will KP when all cores are active, so putting in a kernel flag with cpus=1 allows the system to actually boot and, then, the user can proceed to fix the problem. The problem is from processor "Aliases" in the DSDT that need to be deleted.

Make sure all 4 cores are active in Activity Monitor or iStat Menus.

I doubt you would have any issues here. But, just in case, you can always run the DSDT patcher and enable the "CPU Alias fix" and see if it catches anything.

MAJ

I'm so happy right now. Used 2 days trying to get my hackingtosh running, had nothing but a huge {censored}storm. Something that *might* help some, if you get KP on boot because of the SleepEnabler, be sure to set the right version of it depending on what snow leopard you are trying to install. Mine was at 20 (10.6.4) and I set it manually to 17 (10.6.0 , retail). And after that problem I got some strange bios errors with USB drive plugged in it would get stuck at BIOS with code 50. Seems I set the the partition to be active, a simple reinstall did the trick. I got slightly further, boot went all fine except to the part where it does some funky with the graphic card and the screen went black / KP (many different, depending on what kext I tried to use etc). I got the graphic card working by using the ATY_Init.kext THIS guy talks about (read it), extracting it to the Graphic folder and made sure it was installed to /system (not /extra as the default value was).

Lost internet due to the Realtek kext being in the wrong place, moved it to /system with the script (error-message at boot:"applertl8169ethernet probehardware failed" and "applertl8169ethernet unknown hardware version").

It is running smooth now with sound (back and front), internet etc. Since I got another internal HDD to use I'm going to do another install with proper DSDT file (used the PC-EFi v10.5 without DSDT), get Quartz Extreme support running and upgrading to 10.6.4 .

I do have some questions tho:

When I get everything up&running, can I remove the arch=i386 (32 bit) and let it boot safely in 64bit?

Second question: I have 2 profiles in my bios: 1 overclocking profile (where RAM got its default speed and CPU at 3.8Ghz with busratio 19) with RAID drives correctly set up. And one Mac profile with "optimized defaults" with no RAID and slower RAM speeds. So far I have been switching between the two whenever I boot another OS.

Is it safe for me to simply switch back to my overclocking profile with RAID and then boot into Snow Leopard (busratio=19), or do I have to fix something to get the RAM speed correct and install RAID kexts? I would rather ask the questions now, and not trash my 1.5 tera RAID setup..

And thank you very much Maj (for the lovley script) and everyone else who got a finger in this :)

My rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme, EVGA GTX 295, 3*2gb OCZ 1600Mhz RAM, Intel 920, 2 Samsung F1 750gb in RAID, 1 Velociraptor, 1 old Maxtor 250gb, 1 Western digital USB HD (currently using as system drive).

Edit: Went for the BIOS Profile switch. Didn't have to set any options beside the ones in BIOS (no busratio=19 or something like that). System booted up rather quick, and "About this Mac" show memory at correct speed and the processor speed is also correct . It had a downside tho: No SATA connected drive shows up in Finder or Disk Utility. The Snow Leopard I installed on one of the internal HDD doesn't show up on my USB Snow Leopard, and when I'm trying to boot the newly installed SL it gives me a "Still Waiting for root device".

Edit2: Still no RAID support up. Found out that there are no ICH10 Hardware RAID support for Mac. Not that important stuff on the drives tho.

For some reason my NullCPUPowerManagement kext isn't taking. My work around is deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, however everytime I restart my computer, I get the "No HPETs available" because for some reason the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext keeps reappearing.

Does anyone know why my NullCPUPowerManagement kext isn't working, or why I can't seem to completely delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from my S/L/E?

Thanks.

i did my best trying to search through this post but it's close to impossible. Thanks digital_dreamer for making this script so easy to follow, even much easier than previous versions. Anyway I have SL up and running on my i7 pretty much perfectly other than one minor detail. When I go to shut down the computer it reboots instead, and the only way I can get it to shut down is by holding down the power button, any ideas? Thanks

Are you shure for that ?

My ATI4850 is working on 10.6.4 64k with the PC-Biosimage injection method and LegacyATI4800Controller in /Extra but no init at all !

:D

Ha, ha! There you go. Good method.

I have a ROM file for the 4870, myself, downloaded from techpowerup.com.

I always try to incorporate simple installs that can be used by anyone. The ATY_Init.kext contains the info for all useful ATI cards, including some ROMs, and is a one-kext-fits-all method.

So, actually, I should say the ATY_Init.kext is the most popular, single file for ATI cards. :blink:

MAJ

For some reason my NullCPUPowerManagement kext isn't taking. My work around is deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, however everytime I restart my computer, I get the "No HPETs available" because for some reason the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext keeps reappearing.

Does anyone know why my NullCPUPowerManagement kext isn't working, or why I can't seem to completely delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from my S/L/E?

Thanks.

Sounds like the bootloader is loading the kexts from a different install. The bootloader is going to load the kexts from the first HD pointed to in the BIOS loading priority setting. If you select a different install in the bootloader screen that has a different set of kexts in /Extra, there will be a loading mismatch on boot, as the kexts from the selected install is never loaded. So, either reorder your HD priority setting in the BIOS or first select the desired HD in the BIOS (F12), then the desired install at the bootloader screen.

MAJ

i did my best trying to search through this post but it's close to impossible. Thanks digital_dreamer for making this script so easy to follow, even much easier than previous versions. Anyway I have SL up and running on my i7 pretty much perfectly other than one minor detail. When I go to shut down the computer it reboots instead, and the only way I can get it to shut down is by holding down the power button, any ideas? Thanks

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext?

What about a modified DSDT file?

What motherboard?

In System Preferences/Energy Saver, do you have a "Restart after power failure" option? If so, turn it off.

MAJ

Sounds like the bootloader is loading the kexts from a different install. The bootloader is going to load the kexts from the first HD pointed to in the BIOS loading priority setting. If you select a different install in the bootloader screen that has a different set of kexts in /Extra, there will be a loading mismatch on boot, as the kexts from the selected install is never loaded. So, either reorder your HD priority setting in the BIOS or first select the desired HD in the BIOS (F12), then the desired install at the bootloader screen.

MAJ

Thanks for getting back to me. The thing is that PC-EFI is only installed on one hard drive (the same as the boot drive). Also, this doesn't explain why after moving AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement out of S/L/E (and into / for safe keeping), it magically reappears back in S/L/E after a reboot.

I think my installation is haunted.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the drive with the bootloader is the only drive with an osx installation.

EDIT:: And somehow I fixed it. Not sure how. 10.6.4 finally up and running!

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext?

What about a modified DSDT file?

What motherboard?

In System Preferences/Energy Saver, do you have a "Restart after power failure" option? If so, turn it off.

MAJ

No to all three of those questions, and it's a MSI X58 Platinum, I can tell you that I didn't have this problem a few months ago, but then I went back to windows and now going back to OS X and that's the only issue

No to all three of those questions, and it's a MSI X58 Platinum, I can tell you that I didn't have this problem a few months ago, but then I went back to windows and now going back to OS X and that's the only issue

Something may have changed in a recent Software Update or a BIOS update.

Most of us use the OpenHaltRestart.kext to get around this issue. This can also be fixed in the DSDT (typically called shutdown fix).

MAJ

With new iMac Core i7 with ATI GPU Apple make new drivers more performed for ATI.

New drivers are coming with 10.6.5

Maj its interesting to see at new apple drivers to solve ati problems with our MB ..

see at http://barefeats.com/imac10g.html

here the new Apple upd for the new iMac http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065 (Dont use it directly)

:)

MAJ

4842359839_8069b07890_b.jpg

I tried rebooting, same KP as before. I tried booting into single-user mode again to buildcache, but it KP'd again at the same point.

Does this mean I have to reinstall? :)

I tried rebooting, same KP as before. I tried booting into single-user mode again to buildcache, but it KP'd again at the same point.

Does this mean I have to reinstall? :)

Do you have another install or a preboot CD?

Best to boot into it and just reinstall the kexts and have the boot caches built. That's all you need to do.

I've tried doing this same thing in times past and could get the boot cache from /Extra rebuilt in Single-User mode before that KP. Tricky, but can be done.

I only did it to see if it could be done, as I was testing the buildcache script.

For now, I suggest a preboot CD to get into your install so that you can rebuild the cache in /Extra. No other installation should be necessary.

MAJ

EDIT: BTW, from the screenshot, the buildscript log says the install disk is on disk2s2. Was that correct?

The buildcache script wasn't able to find a /Extra/Kexts directory on that partition, so moved on to the EFI partition, but failed there, too.

Okay. I see the issue, but there's nothing you can do about it now. The kext directories were updated from "Stored_Kexts" to "Kexts_For_Extra_Cache". However, the buildcache version you have there (7) doesn't have that update, version 8 does. So, when you get up and running, just download the latest script. When you do a kext install, the latest buildcache script will get installed, as well. So, if this happens again, running buildcache in Single-User mode will take care of it.

Best of wishes and sorry things aren't going so well. But, this is how we all learn. Knowledge is power. :)

Thanks. This was all my own doing (running pfix like an idiot), so whatever.

So my preboot CD and/or install DVD will boot up in a different way? Interesting.

(And yes, that disk is correct. I have a lot of HDDs in my computer right now, and I don't always plug what should be my first drive into the first SATA port. :( )

Thanks. This was all my own doing (running pfix like an idiot), so whatever.

So my preboot CD and/or install DVD will boot up in a different way? Interesting.

(And yes, that disk is correct. I have a lot of HDDs in my computer right now, and I don't always plug what should be my first drive into the first SATA port. :( )

Don't try the Install DVD. That won't work. But, boot up on the Preboot CD, then select your OS install in the bootloader screen and you should get in. Easy peasy.

MAJ

I love you! That did the trick.

Now, back the the patched AppleHDA.kext...when I look at the kext installer in the script, it wants to install a bunch of other stuff beside the patched AppleHDA.kext, obviously because there is stuff in /Boot_Disk/, /_ATA/, /_Audio/, etc. Now, should I just go and remove everything aside from the kext I want to install? I don't need ATY_Init.kext, and since everything else is working I guess I don't actually need any of the other kexts, either.

Still, thank you so damn much!

I love you! That did the trick.

Now, back the the patched AppleHDA.kext...when I look at the kext installer in the script, it wants to install a bunch of other stuff beside the patched AppleHDA.kext, obviously because there is stuff in /Boot_Disk/, /_ATA/, /_Audio/, etc. Now, should I just go and remove everything aside from the kext I want to install? I don't need ATY_Init.kext, and since everything else is working I guess I don't actually need any of the other kexts, either.

Still, thank you so damn much!

AutumnJazz,

Any kexts you don't need or want installed by the Kext/kernel installer in those kext folders (Audio, Graphics, etc.) can be simply tossed or put back in their repository folders. Put your AppleHDA.kext in the _Audio folder (actually it doesn't really matter which, but this helps categorize them). The kext/kernel installer will install it for you.

Don't worry about the Boot_Disk folder, that's the directory used for creating boot disks and preboot CDs.

Installed on my config with PrebootCD method only!

<snip>

Now I'm trying to imitate MacPro5,1 CTO (mid-2010) 3,2GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon W3565, 12GB RAM 1333MHz, 1GB ATI 5870

Any ideas?

Cool! Nice 5870! <jealous>

The system specs can be modified in the smbios.plist. There you will find the SMproductname, SMmemspeed, and any other specs for injection.

The more recent bootloaders can determine memory speed at boot time, but they haven't been too reliable. You can try this out by removing the SMmemspeed key from the smbios.plist and see if it's detected properly.

Congratulations and best of wishes!

MAJ

Do I need HDAEnabler.kext or LegacyHDA.kext? I assume no, so I'll move them into the repository.

Also, what is the purpose of the NVEnabler kexts? I assume that, since I got my graphics working through an EFI string, I don't need them?

Also, is it ok for me to take out all of the kexts, aside from the one I'm installing, or will that mess up my boot caches and installed kexts and whatnot? (I'm doing that anyway, and rebooting. We'll see what happens.)

Edit: Yep, couldn't even boot due to the lack of fakesmc, lol.