[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

With new iMac Core i7 with ATI GPU Apple make new drivers more performed for ATI.

New drivers are coming with 10.6.5

Maj its interesting to see at new apple drivers to solve ati problems with our MB ..

see at http://barefeats.com/imac10g.html

here the new Apple upd for the new iMac http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065 (Dont use it directly)

I don't have an ATI card, but couldn't you extract any new kexts from the update via examining it's contents?

Meanwhile still no fix for nvdia users like me who have upgraded 10.6.4 :(

I don't have an ATI card, but couldn't you extract any new kexts from the update via examining it's contents?

Meanwhile still no fix for nvdia users like me who have upgraded 10.6.4 :)

None of the 5XXX related items are in the 10.6.4 update. Appears to be only on the new systems. So, like Z4g0r said, expect them in the coming 10.6.5 update.

New are the following:

ATI5000Controller.kext

Updated ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

Updated ATISupport.kext

MAJ

Hey DD,

When I saw the method #2, "install via USB drive" I ordered a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive to do this with, since it sounded so cool! However, I have not been able to get past step 15 - creating the boot disk. The script says my drive is too small. I managed to tweak the script so I know the size it is reporting. It tells me "Installer to be cloned:" is 6.3 GB, and the flash drive is "7.4 Gi (USB) Patriot Memory -too small".

I am doing this from a macbook pro on 10.5.8, and using the snow leopard install disk. I am not sure if the flash drive format makes a diff, but I have tried MBR/Fat32 and GUID/Mac OS Extended and had issues with both.

Any ideas? Is the drive truly too small? I don't really know shell scripting so I am having trouble reading the script syntax to determine what size it is checking against.

Have others done this method with an 8gb flash drive with success?

On a separate note, Thanks for all your work in this - I had fun picking out my pc parts and playing with this based on this thread! Really great work!

Hey DD,

When I saw the method #2, "install via USB drive" I ordered a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive to do this with, since it sounded so cool! However, I have not been able to get past step 15 - creating the boot disk. The script says my drive is too small. I managed to tweak the script so I know the size it is reporting. It tells me "Installer to be cloned:" is 6.3 GB, and the flash drive is "7.4 Gi (USB) Patriot Memory -too small".

I am doing this from a macbook pro on 10.5.8, and using the snow leopard install disk. I am not sure if the flash drive format makes a diff, but I have tried MBR/Fat32 and GUID/Mac OS Extended and had issues with both.

Any ideas? Is the drive truly too small? I don't really know shell scripting so I am having trouble reading the script syntax to determine what size it is checking against.

Have others done this method with an 8gb flash drive with success?

On a separate note, Thanks for all your work in this - I had fun picking out my pc parts and playing with this based on this thread! Really great work!

Ah, the old GB versus GiB or Decimal (powers of 10) versus binary (powers of 2). Sounds like more work to do!

Is it actually reporting "7.4 Gi" instead of "7.4 GiB" or "7.4 GB"? If so, I can see how that is a problem.

If you do diskutil info /Volumes/YOUR_FLASH_DRIVE in the Terminal, what does the Total Size: line say? Is the unit in GiB or Gi?

I know Snow Leopard is supposed to report in GiB, but I'm not getting these prefixes on my system. ???

Does something have to be enabled here?

MAJ

EDIT: If you wish, you can perform the following changes in the script:

case $UNIT in
			MB) TT_SIZE=$(echo "$SIZE / 1000" | bc);;
			[color="#FF0000"]Gi|[/color]GB) TT_SIZE=$SIZE;;
			TB) TT_SIZE=$(echo "$SIZE * 1000" | bc);;
		esac
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]			if [[ $TT_SIZE -lt $INSTALLR_SZ ]];then
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]				DRV_WN[DV_CNT]="${purple} -too small"
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]				DSPLYLIST="$DSPLYLIST\n${bold}$DV_CNT${plain}) ${yellow}${bold}${DRV_NM[DV_CNT]}@${plain}${yellow}- \
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]  ${DRV_SZ[DV_CNT]}@(${DRV_PL[DV_CNT]})@${DRV_TP[DV_CNT]}${DRV_WN[DV_CNT++]}${plain}"
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]				(( WN_CNT += 1 ))
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]				continue
[color="#FF0000"]#[/color]			fi

You can add the "Gi" (if that is your prefix), followed by the vertical line character, so the script will detect it, or

just comment out (#) the size check lines.

I'll get this all fixed up if I can find out how to get it to report using those units.

Ah, the old GB versus GiB or Decimal (powers of 10) versus binary (powers of 2). Sounds like more work to do!

Is it actually reporting "7.4 Gi" instead of "7.4 GiB" or "7.4 GB"? If so, I can see how that is a problem.

If you do diskutil info /Volumes/YOUR_FLASH_DRIVE in the Terminal, what does the Total Size: line say? Is the unit in GiB or Gi?

I know Snow Leopard is supposed to report in GiB, but I'm not getting these prefixes on my system. ???

Does something have to be enabled here?

MAJ

EDIT: If you wish, you can perform the following changes in the script:

case $UNIT in
			MB) TT_SIZE=$(echo "$SIZE / 1000" | bc);;
			[color="#ff0000"]Gi|[/color]GB) TT_SIZE=$SIZE;;
			TB) TT_SIZE=$(echo "$SIZE * 1000" | bc);;
		esac
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]			if [[ $TT_SIZE -lt $INSTALLR_SZ ]];then
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]				DRV_WN[DV_CNT]="${purple} -too small"
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]				DSPLYLIST="$DSPLYLIST\n${bold}$DV_CNT${plain}) ${yellow}${bold}${DRV_NM[DV_CNT]}@${plain}${yellow}- \
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]  ${DRV_SZ[DV_CNT]}@(${DRV_PL[DV_CNT]})@${DRV_TP[DV_CNT]}${DRV_WN[DV_CNT++]}${plain}"
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]				(( WN_CNT += 1 ))
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]				continue
[color="#ff0000"]#[/color]			fi

You can add the "Gi" (if that is your prefix), followed by the vertical line character, so the script will detect it, or

just comment out (#) the size check lines.

I'll get this all fixed up if I can find out how to get it to report using those units.

Awesome man. I added the Gi to the case statement and that worked.

info you requested:

Total Size: 7.4 Gi (7992246272 :( (15609856 512-byte blocks)

I don't know enough about macs to intelligently help you with the diff in prefixes. Maybe a difference in reporting between 10.5 and 10.6? The macbook pro that I am using isn't on snow leapord. (That was my best "mom" guess... "Did you try plugging it in?")

Hey All,

I just got myself a 16 Gb SanDisk Flash drive for a boot disk install method. Each time I select option 15 using DD's script, a message returning that there is no suitable media available for creating a boot disk. So, I am a little bit confused on how I am formatting the disk wrong. I think I am running into Aaron's problem... but i don't understand how to edit your script.

-al

I just tried to do the preboot disk. It didn't work either. I may have had a couple of options or kexts wrong. And i did not build an EFI string for my ATI HD 4870, because no option was available in the script. Still busting my head over this install...

-al

I just tried to do the preboot disk. It didn't work either. I may have had a couple of options or kexts wrong. And i did not build an EFI string for my ATI HD 4870, because no option was available in the script. Still busting my head over this install...

-al

RE: boot disk install and Flash drive. Did it report the drive as being too small? If so, you can do the minor edit Aaron Mo did.

RE: preboot disk. What didn't work here? Did the CD get created okay, but the boot process fail? EFI strings won't work for ATI cards, unfortunately.

Describe the boot log or post a picture of the boot log.

What do you mean by no option available to create a EFI string? EFI strings can be created for any boot plist as well as for the boot disk and preboot disk.

best regards,

MAJ

MAJ,

I have a perfectly running install of snow leopard thanks to you! I just did a CCC of my boot drive to a second drive. Can you tell me what I need to do to the cloned drive to make it boot? I just want it in case something messes up with my system.

Thanks,

Ray

MAJ,

I have a perfectly running install of snow leopard thanks to you! I just did a CCC of my boot drive to a second drive. Can you tell me what I need to do to the cloned drive to make it boot? I just want it in case something messes up with my system.

Thanks,

Ray

All you need to do is install your choice of bootloader. Check if your /Extra folder contains the necessary files needed. I think thats about it.

Curious, are USB drives supported to boot?

I am trying a Passport 120 USB drive as a bootable drive. I am nervous to try my working 10.6.2 with an upgrade to 10.6.4. I wanted to try making a bootable drive and then update it to see how my hardware responded before trying it on my main drive.

Problem is the DD installer script goes to set the partition (tried EFI and Chameleon), makes it active, then ... nothing. It just sits there, for 10+ minutes (20+ at this sitting). When I quit Terminal t says there is a working script in progress.

Am I just being foolish trying to get a bootable volume on a uSB drive? Or am I missing something else? I see thumb drives mentioned so I am thinking there must be another problem here?

I do have the SL retail install DVD in the drive and I did just download the installer script so I have the most recent version of it.

THanks

David

...still working with the boot flash drive and am getting this when I am first booting into my hackintosh from it. Is this a KP? Can anyone interpret what it is telling me?

post-511365-1281408356_thumb.jpg

I accepted all defaults when making the boot flash drive which I installed from macbookpro on 10.6. (just upgraded it to SL)

Thumb drive gets recognized as a regular drive so I put it first in boot order.

Things I have tried:

I removed all drives but the one I want to install to.

switched bois from raid back to achi mode.

Hardware:

gigabyte ex58-ud5

i7 920

sapphire 4870 1gb

wd caviar drive

...still working with the boot flash drive and am getting this when I am first booting into my hackintosh from it. Is this a KP? Can anyone interpret what it is telling me?

post-511365-1281408356_thumb.jpg

I accepted all defaults when making the boot flash drive which I installed from macbookpro on 10.6. (just upgraded it to SL)

Thumb drive gets recognized as a regular drive so I put it first in boot order.

Things I have tried:

I removed all drives but the one I want to install to.

switched bois from raid back to achi mode.

Hardware:

gigabyte ex58-ud5

i7 920

sapphire 4870 1gb

wd caviar drive

Alas! More ATI video card problems! Your boot drive does not 'like' your video card. The next 'step' beyond where you have stopped is switch to Mac GUI video. Unfortunately, you video card is not recognized and you can't go past where you are.

suggestion: swap in an Nvidia 9500GT and there is a 98% probably you will have video and can proceed with the install. After you have the OS installed you can chase after the drivers for your ATI card and spend a few days getting that card to work. (ATI cards will work but you need the right kexts. I gave up using ATI because of the hassle of making them work)

Alas! More ATI video card problems! Your boot drive does not 'like' your video card. The next 'step' beyond where you have stopped is switch to Mac GUI video. Unfortunately, you video card is not recognized and you can't go past where you are.

suggestion: swap in an Nvidia 9500GT and there is a 98% probably you will have video and can proceed with the install. After you have the OS installed you can chase after the drivers for your ATI card and spend a few days getting that card to work. (ATI cards will work but you need the right kexts. I gave up using ATI because of the hassle of making them work)

Ah, thanks for the assessment. I have had this machine/video card working on 10.6 before using this script about a year ago (before my SSD crashed). The difference was that I installed directly into my hdd by tethering it to my macbook and running the script vs this new flash install method. At that time, I was just using the kexts included in DD's installer.

Doesn't the flash boot method use those kexts?

The other thing I just thought of, is maybe I don't have the monitor plugged into the primary video port. Not sure if that could cause this behavior, but I can try it again tonight.

Ah, thanks for the assessment. I have had this machine/video card working on 10.6 before using this script about a year ago (before my SSD crashed). The difference was that I installed directly into my hdd by tethering it to my macbook and running the script vs this new flash install method. At that time, I was just using the kexts included in DD's installer.

Doesn't the flash boot method use those kexts?

The other thing I just thought of, is maybe I don't have the monitor plugged into the primary video port. Not sure if that could cause this behavior, but I can try it again tonight.

I don't know what kexts are included in the flash boot, but apparently at least one of those you were using in the previously install is not on your boot drive. I would suggest trying Tonymacx's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disk for ATI. I have used his Nvidia version to boot a couple of my installs. You can use DD's script to do the install no matter what you use to boot the machine with - the important thing is to find something that will boot.

The system specs can be modified in the smbios.plist. There you will find the SMproductname, SMmemspeed, and any other specs for injection.

Here is my Extra folder:

com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>default</string>

</dict>

</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B03.0902231259</string>

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>6400</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>

<string>Kingston Technology</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>KTA-MP1066/2G</string>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>57CCBC8A</string>

<key>SMmemserial_2</key>

<string>91CCFF49</string>

<key>SMmemserial_3</key>

<string>57CCBE8A</string>

<key>SMmemserial_4</key>

<string>91CCFD49</string>

<key>SMmemserial_5</key>

<string>55CCC28A</string>

<key>SMmemserial_6</key>

<string>93CC8749</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1333</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>CK034KMHK5B</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and

d00d's DSDT_GA-EX58-UD5_F9m_S3_950_W3550_v2

My new Geekbench result

505aee9980f3t.jpg

Look at system monitor "kernel_task" (32bit?) and Geekbench info FSB (536MHz?) :)

The more recent bootloaders can ...

Unfortunately by using the new bootloaders, I see only a black screen and hear helicopters inside Zalman, nothing else :(

I don't know what kexts are included in the flash boot, but apparently at least one of those you were using in the previously install is not on your boot drive. I would suggest trying Tonymacx's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disk for ATI. I have used his Nvidia version to boot a couple of my installs. You can use DD's script to do the install no matter what you use to boot the machine with - the important thing is to find something that will boot.

FYI - got the boot flash drive working with this card. I guess I needed to add EVOEnabler and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to the boot_disk/extra/extensions folder.

Now I got stuck on booting the 2nd time to copy the script over to the main drive. As I was installing the first time, I saw out of the corner of my eye a black sreeen flash with text, then got a reboot. The flash drive only gave me the option of installing so I am thinking it crashed during the first install? If it fails again, I might try the ATI_Init.kext and try again.

Ah! I got it. It wasn't clear to me from the instructions... after install, boot from the flash drive, and once you are at the bootloader screen select the hdd you just installed to. Copy the script from there and proceed...

sweet!!

Here is my Extra folder:

com.apple.Boot.plist

<SNIP>

smbios.plist

<SNIP>

My new Geekbench result

Look at system monitor "kernel_task" (32bit?) and Geekbench info FSB (536MHz?) :)

Unfortunately by using the new bootloaders, I see only a black screen and hear helicopters inside Zalman, nothing else :)

Looks good. I don't know how Geekbench measures FSB, but it's interesting that 536 (rounded up from 535) in hex is 1334 in decimal. So, take that however you wish. :)

Aside from the fact that there is no FSB on a Core i7, your "FSB" speed is whatever that's set in the BIOS. What you see in OS X is just a matter of reporting, not a reliable indicator of hardware specs.

MAJ