nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Starting backwards:

4) As for Win7 HDD issue, from post #1 in this thread:

[4] The following issue identified by d00m42 may apply to nForce chipset MOBOs too

QUOTE “Found a BIG issue for those running a drive or partition with windows 7 installed and formated with NTFS!

Remove or disconnect your Windows 7 drive, or you will be getting OSX crashes, *ntfs corruption*, possible KP's”

So be sure that you disconnect all your Windows hard drives before installing OS X Snow Leopard and then reconnect after the installation is complete.

As for 8GB RAM issue, if you installed any one of:

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext/

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext/

AppleNForceATA.slash.kext/

in /Extra/Extensions/ on the HDD SL OS X volume before installing OS X and boot the HDD, then it should not be an issue.......

3) I will look at this after I have double-checked on 2)

4) So, as a general guideline, is it better to disconnect W7 drivers before installing? About the RAM, I had AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext installed, so it just worked.

2) Maybe trying to install the Combo Update 10.6.4 update from a 10.5.7/8 system would work? If it is possible, I can try to install the Combo Update 10.5.7/8 from Snow Leo to Leopard, and then try again the 10.6.4 from Leopard to Snow Leo...

4) So, as a general guideline, is it better to disconnect W7 drivers before installing? About the RAM, I had AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext installed, so it just worked.

2) Maybe trying to install the Combo Update 10.6.4 update from a 10.5.7/8 system would work? If it is possible, I can try to install the Combo Update 10.5.7/8 from Snow Leo to Leopard, and then try again the 10.6.4 from Leopard to Snow Leo...

4) Yes, just to be on the safe side.........AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext is fine for 8GB RAM

2) It appears that while the 10.6.2 Combo Update allows you to install it to a Snow Leopard volume (I know because I am able to do this from Leopard 10.5.6), the later version Combo Updates, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 do not, as you have found out.........I am checking for a workaround to this.......if there is not one, it may be worth setting a second backup SL volume........

4) Yes, just to be on the safe side.........AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext is fine for 8GB RAM

2) It appears that while the 10.6.2 Combo Update allows you to install it to a Snow Leopard volume (I know because I am able to do this from Leopard 10.5.6), the later version Combo Updates, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 do not, as you have found out.........I am checking for a workaround to this.......if there is not one, it may be worth setting a second backup SL volume........

geez...

is there any particular reason to absolutely have 10.6.4 instead of 10.6.2? Maybe it's a silly question, but I'm totally new to the Mac side, so I'm just asking...

At this time I just need to have a fully working Snow Leo system; if it totally worked with the base install, I would go with that...but I'm having these crashes, so I'm trying to update to 10.6.x to see if I can solve the problem, as you suggested.

geez...

is there any particular reason to absolutely have 10.6.4 instead of 10.6.2? Maybe it's a silly question, but I'm totally new to the Mac side, so I'm just asking...

At this time I just need to have a fully working Snow Leo system; if it totally worked with the base install, I would go with that...but I'm having these crashes, so I'm trying to update to 10.6.x to see if I can solve the problem, as you suggested.

OK, just run the 10.6.2 Combo Update installer from Leopard and see it if allows you to install the update to the Snow Leopard OS X volume using Leopard.......

Here is your RTC patched DSDT:

Fixed_DSDT.zip

OK, just run the 10.6.2 Combo Update installer from Leopard and see it if allows you to install the update to the Snow Leopard OS X volume using Leopard.......

Here is your RTC patched DSDT:

Fixed_DSDT.zip

Can it be the cause of the random crashes? Should I try to install again using this newly patched DSDT?

Can it be the cause of the random crashes? Should I try to install again using this newly patched DSDT?

Just replace your old DSDT.aml (which should be in /Extra/ or in /) with the patched one........

I do not know if it is important for you but see here..........

Just replace your old DSDT.aml (which should be in /Extra/ or in /) with the patched one........

I do not know if it is important for you but see here..........

I've tried with your DSDT.aml file, but it crashes during the boot (apple logo for 1 second, then crash...).

Also, I've downloaded Combo Update 10.6.2, but now it says that I need Snow Leopard 10.6.2...(?!!)

Maybe I've downloaded the wrong file? Is there a Combo Update 10.6.1 to install before that?

I've tried with your DSDT.aml file, but it crashes during the boot (apple logo for 1 second, then crash...).

Also, I've downloaded Combo Update 10.6.2, but now it says that I need Snow Leopard 10.6.2...(?!!)

Maybe I've downloaded the wrong file? Is there a Combo Update 10.6.1 to install before that?

What kexts have you got in /Extra/Extensions/? What do you see when you boot with -v -x32

I am running iPC 10.5.6 and I did not see that with Combo Update 10.6.2.........my iPC 10.5.6 is on a different HDD to Snow Leopard........but I will try again.......

There is a v10.6.1 update (but it is not a Combo Update)

What kexts have you got in /Extra/Extensions/? What do you see when you boot with -v -x32

I am running iPC 10.5.6 and I did not see that with Combo Update 10.6.2.........my iPC 10.5.6 is on a different HDD to Snow Leopard........but I will try again.......

There is a v10.6.1 update (but it is not a Combo Update)

Extra/Extensions:

- AppleNForceATA.65Anv.kext

- fakesmc.V2.5.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

One thing I've noticed, in the com.Apple.boot.plist file there were both "-x32" and i386 boot flags; I'm sure I've changed that to -x32 only; is it possible that some installation process changed it back to both flags? Also, the GFX Efi string I've put there for my graphic card disappeared as well; it's just like the com.apple.Boot file has been replaced with the template from your Snow_Leopard_support files...Anyway, after I've left only -x32 flag, the system has been up and running for more than 30 minutes (way much longer than before..). I don't know if it's related to my random crashes problems; I will report if it happens again, I'm trying to stress the system a little to see if it crashes.

Extra/Extensions:

- AppleNForceATA.65Anv.kext

- fakesmc.V2.5.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

One thing I've noticed, in the com.Apple.boot.plist file there were both "-x32" and i386 boot flags; I'm sure I've changed that to -x32 only; is it possible that some installation process changed it back to both flags? Also, the GFX Efi string I've put there for my graphic card disappeared as well; it's just like the com.apple.Boot file has been replaced with the template from your Snow_Leopard_support files...Anyway, after I've left only -x32 flag, the system has been up and running for more than 30 minutes (way much longer than before..). I don't know if it's related to my random crashes problems; I will report if it happens again, I'm trying to stress the system a little to see if it crashes.

[1] You should check the com.Apple.boot.plist files in /Extra/ and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/..........I presume that both will be loaded, one after the other, so I ensure that the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ does not conflict with the one in /Extra/ that is loaded first, by keeping it very simple:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

</dict>

</plist>

whereas com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is the one that is used for the EFI graphics string because it is loaded first:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.."</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

BUT NOTE if you are using Chameleon boot file, use arch=i386, but if using PC_EFI boot file in place of the original Chameleon boot file, you can use arch=i386 or -x32 from v10.3 onwards, whereas for PC_EFI pre-v10.3, use -x32

[2] When you boot using the patched DSDT.aml file and boot with -v debug=0x100, what do you see.....?

[3] Are you connecting to the internet by Ethernet OK?

[1] You should check the com.Apple.boot.plist files in /Extra/ and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/..........I presume that both will be loaded, one after the other, so I ensure that the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ does not conflict with the one in /Extra/ that is loaded first, by keeping it very simple:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

</dict>

</plist>

whereas com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is the one that is used for the EFI graphics string because it is loaded first:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.."</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

BUT NOTE if you are using Chameleon boot file, use arch=i386, but if using PC_EFI boot file in place of the original Chameleon boot file, you can use arch=i386 or -x32 from v10.3 onwards, whereas for PC_EFI pre-v10.3, use -x32

[2] When you boot using the patched DSDT.aml file and boot with -v debug=0x100, what do you see.....?

[3] Are you connecting to the internet by Ethernet OK?

Ok, I've tracked the {censored} down:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414296277/Crash.zip

(the picture is big so text can be read)

It crashed while installing Update Combo 10.5.7 on the Leo hd (which probably screwed it...I have to check it out).

[2] Gonna try right now...

[3] My internet connection worked flawlessly from start...

Ok, I've tracked the {censored} down:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414296277/Crash.zip

(the picture is big so text can be read)

It crashed while installing Update Combo 10.5.7 on the Leo hd (which probably screwed it...I have to check it out).

[2] Gonna try right now...

[3] My internet connection worked flawlessly from start...

Use Terminal to repair the /System/Library/Extensions/ kext ownership and permissions as follows:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

and reboot with -v -f

Use Terminal to repair the /System/Library/Extensions/ kext ownership and permissions as follows:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

and reboot with -v -f

After that crash in the screenshot (previous post), I tried to repair permissions like you said, but I had to do that from the USB Installer's Terminal, since now it's not booting anymore, whatever flag I use.

Here's another screenshot of what it's like now:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414316420/Crash2.zip

After that crash in the screenshot (previous post), I tried to repair permissions like you said, but I had to do that from the USB Installer's Terminal, since now it's not booting anymore, whatever flag I use.

Here's another screenshot of what it's like now:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414316420/Crash2.zip

With so many kext related issues, I suggest keeping your Leopard system but create two equal size Snow Leopard volumes and recommend keeping the 2 OS X SL systems for the time being, just in case the next system update breaks the current system on OSx86...........

By having two SL volumes, you only risk messing up one when making any system updates and/or other changes, which you can fix by booting into the other still working SL system, or you can simply clone the still working SL system onto the volume with the messed up system.........so never any risk of having to do a complete reinstall (unless both become messed up)......... :P

As I was not sure whether or not the patched DSDT.aml file was working or not, I have patched it again and fixed all errors/warnings again for you: Fixed_DSDT_v2.zip

Assuming two identical Snow Leopard OS X systems, post all that you see at present under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Then, run Dr. Hurt's Chameleon 2.0 RC4 Installer and in com.apple.Boot.plist of one of the two SL volumes, include these lines:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

If one or the other of the above works, post all that you then see under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Only if the above does not work, will we try EFI graphics string, or NVEnabler approaches........

With so many kext related issues, I suggest keeping your Leopard system but create two equal size Snow Leopard volumes and recommend keeping the 2 OS X SL systems for the time being, just in case the next system update breaks the current system on OSx86...........

By having two SL volumes, you only risk messing up one when making any system updates and/or other changes, which you can fix by booting into the other still working SL system, or you can simply clone the still working SL system onto the volume with the messed up system.........so never any risk of having to do a complete reinstall (unless both become messed up)......... :)

As I was not sure whether or not the patched DSDT.aml file was working or not, I have patched it again and fixed all errors/warnings again for you: Fixed_DSDT_v2.zip

Assuming two identical Snow Leopard OS X systems, post all that you see at present under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Then, run Dr. Hurt's Chameleon 2.0 RC4 Installer and in com.apple.Boot.plist of one of the two SL volumes, include these lines:

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

If one or the other of the above works, post all that you then see under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Only if the above does not work, will we try EFI graphics string, or NVEnabler approaches........

Unfortunately, I only have two hdd dedicated to this "OSX experiment", one with Leo and one with Snow. The Leo system is still alive and working, so I tried to make a fresh install of Snow on the other disk. Here is what I did this time:

1) I used the new DSDT.aml file you provided (both in the USB Installer and in the Snow disk)

2) I installed Chameleon RC3 along with its own boot file into the Snow partition

3) Snow installation process was ok, no problems at all (also, I repaired permissions before launching Snow for the first time)

4) Here's the Graphics/Display section in SystemProfiler soon after the first boot:

Tipo: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Larghezza Lane PCIe: x16

VRAM (totale): 32 MB

Fornitore: NVIDIA (0x10de)

ID dispositivo: 0x0605

ID revisione: 0x00a2

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 1024

Profondità pixel: Colore 32 bit (ARGB8888)

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

5) I then installed Chameleon RC4 and added the first lines you suggested (no changes in the Graphics/Display section of SystemProfiler after reboot), and then again I tried with all the other lines: no changes either.

6) The system was still using only 1 monitor, the only available resolution was 1280x1024 (which I found out was specified in the com.apple.Boot.plist file). No hardware acceleration, etc.

7) Then I put the EFI string I saved earlier (and that I use on the Leo system) in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file, and now it's fully working again (dual monitor, full resolution, hardware acceleration).

In none of the cases above I experienced random crashes like before, but the system has not been up and running for a long time, so who knows...Let's see what happens today.

I managed to update Leo to 10.5.7 from Snow, and it was ok (graphics artifacts disappeared on Leo, too). But I'm still unable to update Snow from Leo, whichever version I try to install (10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.4) it won't work, requesting to run the update from a 10.6 running system.

@ AXE78

Thank you for your clear update on your progress and how things are now. I am pleased that a fresh install of Snow Leopard was able to get it working for you with full CI/QE and that it enabled you to update Leopard from Snow Leopard, fixing the Leopard video artefacts too......... :thumbsup_anim:

If you have set up your SL HDD as GPT partitioned and do you have enough spare to resize the SL volume? If so, using Disk Utility, under the Partition tab, you should be able to resize (reduce by 50%) the existing OS X partition and then use the + tab set up a new partition in the freed up space that you can format as a new SL OS X volume the same size as the new size of the exiting OS X volume..........and then clone your current SL volume..........

@ AXE78

Thank you for your clear update on your progress and how things are now. I am pleased that a fresh install of Snow Leopard was able to get it working for you with full CI/QE and that it enabled you to update Leopard from Snow Leopard, fixing the Leopard video artefacts too......... ;)

If you have set up your SL HDD as GPT partitioned and do you have enough spare to resize the SL volume? If so, using Disk Utility, under the Partition tab, you should be able to resize (reduce by 50%) the existing OS X partition and then use the + tab set up a new partition in the freed up space that you can format as a new SL OS X volume the same size as the new size of the exiting OS X volume..........and then clone your current SL volume..........

That's a good idea, I will try to do that.

Also, is it possible to create a .dmg image file (a sort of "snapshot") of the system, in case something goes wrong?

Now I'm trying to find a way to update to at least 10.6.2, since some apps I need won't run on 10.6...

That's a good idea, I will try to do that.

Also, is it possible to create a .dmg image file (a sort of "snapshot") of the system, in case something goes wrong?

Now I'm trying to find a way to update to at least 10.6.2, since some apps I need won't run on 10.6...

Both these issues will be solved by implementing dual two equal-size SL system volumes that, being equal-sized, can be block-level clones of each other (until you start making changes on one volume) and it allows you to use the standalone Combo Update to update a non-booted system from the booted system, which is the best way (hence used by most "real" Mac users like myself)........

I always keep my backup volume one system version below the other while testing and/or making any changes on the latest system volume...........then if all is 100% OK for sure, I will clone it to the backup volume using Carbon Copy Cloner (or Disk Utility) and the cycle starts again..........

For even greater security, you can do the same on a backup external HDD that is a mirror of your internal HDD........also a .dmg restore image of your OS X system can be made using Disk Uitility.............always check that the .dmg image can be restored to a HDD volume and then booted from, as the Chameleon bootloader is not copied across...........that is why on my HDDs I always have a 10-12GB base OS X system as the first volume on the HDD as my maintenance/boot volume, followed by my Main and Backup OS X volumes that are each 100GB+...........I am very careful now because when I started to prepare new installation procedures/guides for Leopard and Snow Leopard OS X on my nForce chipset MOBO I had the hard experience of having to do fresh re-installs versus easy block-level cloning.......

Both these issues will be solved by implementing dual two equal-size SL system volumes that, being equal-sized, can be block-level clones of each other (until you start making changes on one volume) and it allows you to use the standalone Combo Update to update a non-booted system from the booted system, which is the best way (hence used by most "real" Mac users like myself)........

I always keep my backup volume one system version below the other while testing and/or making any changes on the latest system volume...........then if all is 100% OK for sure, I will clone it to the backup volume using Carbon Copy Cloner (or Disk Utility) and the cycle starts again..........

For even greater security, you can do the same on a backup external HDD that is a mirror of your internal HDD........also a .dmg restore image of your OS X system can be made using Disk Uitility.............always check that the .dmg image can be restored to a HDD volume and then booted from, as the Chameleon bootloader is not copied across...........that is why on my HDDs I always have a 10-12GB base OS X system as the first volume on the HDD as my maintenance/boot volume, followed by my Main and Backup OS X volumes that are each 100GB+...........I am very careful now because when I started to prepare new installation procedures/guides for Leopard and Snow Leopard OS X on my nForce chipset MOBO I had the hard experience of having to do fresh re-installs versus easy block-level cloning.......

sounds like a smart solution, thanks for the advice! I was a little unsure about squeezing and adding another partition (bad experiences in Windows...), but if you say it works, I will give it a try.

sounds like a smart solution, thanks for the advice! I was a little unsure about squeezing and adding another partition (bad experiences in Windows...), but if you say it works, I will give it a try.

Resizing and formatting on a GPT partitioned HDD using Dis Utility Partition function in OS X SL worked for me.....I resized a 182.65 GB iATKOS S3 v2 system volume on my 750GB GPT partitioned HDD that was originally partitioned into 5 volumes into a 89GB iATKOS S3 v2 system volume and a 93.65 empty Mac OS XExtended (Journaled) volume ready and waiting for a test 10.7.0 installation......

Resizing and formatting on a GPT partitioned HDD using Dis Utility Partition function in OS X SL worked for me.....I resized a 182.65 GB iATKOS S3 v2 system volume on my 750GB GPT partitioned HDD that was originally partitioned into 5 volumes into a 89GB iATKOS S3 v2 system volume and a 93.65 empty Mac OS XExtended (Journaled) volume ready and waiting for a test 10.7.0 installation......

Yes, it just worked. Now I have one Leo disk, and two Snow partitions on the same disk.

I almost forgot one thing: I had no audio at all, but I fixed that using VoodooHDA.kext.

Another thing that did NOT work for me, was updating to 10.6.4 from Snow1 to Snow2 (which is the one I use to experiment); it always ended up with errors. I tried to update directly from Snow2 with the Combo Update, and it finished without problems.

Now there's one thing left: writing on NTFS partitions; it seems it's not working. Is it a matter of permissions, or do I need something else to do that? At the moment I can just read them and copy file from them to the OSX system, but it's working one-way only.

I solved using third-party software to write on NTFS partitions, but I was wondering if there's any other solution to this. I think I saw some kind of NTFS kext, is it right?

Yes, it just worked. Now I have one Leo disk, and two Snow partitions on the same disk.

I almost forgot one thing: I had no audio at all, but I fixed that using VoodooHDA.kext.

Another thing that did NOT work for me, was updating to 10.6.4 from Snow1 to Snow2 (which is the one I use to experiment); it always ended up with errors. I tried to update directly from Snow2 with the Combo Update, and it finished without problems.

Now there's one thing left: writing on NTFS partitions; it seems it's not working. Is it a matter of permissions, or do I need something else to do that? At the moment I can just read them and copy file from them to the OSX system, but it's working one-way only.

I solved using third-party software to write on NTFS partitions, but I was wondering if there's any other solution to this. I think I saw some kind of NTFS kext, is it right?

Combo Update..........strange. But glad the direct Combo update worked anyhow.......and that VoodooHDA is working OK for you.......

Although Snow Leopard is able to mount NTFS volumes as read/write, only the read function is enabled by default , as in 10.5.......however, the write function is not fully developed and is buggy........hence, it not being enabled by default in OS X.........see here.......

Instead, I use Tuxera NTFS.......

Verdant, It's still freezing... :(

What can you see in your kernel.log?