nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hi,

First, I have to tell that I am a complete noob, but I try to read as much as possible and after spending several days in reading and trying, I failed. ;)

So, I wish to make an install directly from the SL retail DVD (which is in 10.6.0). I am using the nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso

bootloader. So far, this is the only one CD that was able to boot without the message 'Still waiting for the root device".

So, I can boot on the SL DVD, with the -v flag, I can see all the stuff loading. And then, at the point where the OSX install screen should load, I have a grey screen with the unix mouse pointer. Nothing happens. If I hit the Enter key, then iI have the coloured wheel spining... and again nothing happens.... end of the story.

If I boot with the -x flag, then, no problem, I have the OSX installer and I can complete the installation.

Once the system installed, I can re-boot it as much as I want with bootlaoder on the DVD, but only with the -x flag.

Any idea of how I can fix this -x requirement? Since I run the system in safe mode, my wifi connection is dropping after a few minutes.... and I can't customize my com.apple.boot.plist

I tried to install a bootlaoder from the OSX86Tools, but I still have the Still waiting for root device issue, or kernel panic, even with the -x flag.

My system definitely needs the MeDevil's kext present in the Boot123 for SATA DVD to boot (I think :P ).

My system: I have a SATA HDD on SATA-0, a pioneer S18L DVD drive on SATA-1

I thank you in advance for you help.

Valyno

Unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume (which you have now done) and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

That is, you have to follow all the steps in post #1 Part F. Section 2., that is step (1) to step (13) before even booting from the nForceSLBoot132DVD you made in step (14), and then following steps (15) to (20)...........

I will check back in a few hours when I have more time...........in the meantime, confirm that you have done all the above......... :)

Update: after a fresh install, I installed PC EFI 10.2.6 with chamelon RC4.

I have a kernel panic, please see attachment.

The pic is reversed... :) sorry

In /Extra/Extensions/, you should have EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both.........are you using an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra/.......if so, remove it and reboot......

Unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume (which you have now done) and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

That is, you have to follow all the steps in post #1 Part F. Section 2., that is step (1) to step (13) before even booting from the nForceSLBoot132DVD you made in step (14), and then following steps (15) to (20)...........

I will check back in a few hours when I have more time...........in the meantime, confirm that you have done all the above......... :D

Hi Verdant,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am posting from the office, so I will have to wait a bit before puting your advice into practice.

Before reading your answer, I made another try yesterday.

To sum up: I am able to boot with the Boot123 DVD SATA version and to install directly SnowLeopard 10.6.0 from the retail DVD on my freshly formated SATA HDD (one partition).

After installation, I can boot the system (-v -f) with the DVD bootloader. Then, I can upgrade to 10.6.4 with Apple's combo package.

At that point, I can boot the system from theBoot123 DVD SATA version with the -v -f flag.

Last night, I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC 4 in the EFI partition with the installer provided in the package files Snow_Support_Files_V2.3

The bootloader loaded but when I launched SnowLeo, there was a kernel panic (the one described in the reversed picture...)

So I booted again from the DVD and I removed the Boot file in the EFI partition to replace it by the one in the DVD Boot123. I also copied the /Extra/Extentions folder from preboot.dmg in the the root of the EFI partition. I removed the two JMICRON kext (I understand-certainly wrongly- from my readings that it may be the cause of the OSROM kernel panic)

Now, I can boot by 10.6.4 Snow Leopard install directly from the HDD (with -v -f flag). For now, minimal graphic, no audio, no built-in ethernet. Issue with the wifi card, which is recognized as airport, after some time, the connection just drop and there is now way to reconnect (connection time out), except by rebooting.

In the first instance, I tried to modify the com.apple.boot.plist to inlcude the GraphicsEnabler but its not taken into account at system startup.

I know its really a dirty install, and I will follow your advice. I just need to retrieve my Leopard DVD... and print out your guide!!!

(The lazy little voice will just ask: is it mandatory to install first Leopard? or is it possible to fix things with my already installed system? :D )

Thank you again for you help and your patience!!!

Valyno

Hi Verdant,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am posting from the office, so I will have to wait a bit before puting your advice into practice.

Before reading your answer, I made another try yesterday.

To sum up: I am able to boot with the Boot123 DVD SATA version and to install directly SnowLeopard 10.6.0 from the retail DVD on my freshly formated SATA HDD (one partition).

After installation, I can boot the system (-v -f) with the DVD bootloader. Then, I can upgrade to 10.6.4 with Apple's combo package.

At that point, I can boot the system from theBoot123 DVD SATA version with the -v -f flag.

Last night, I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC 4 in the EFI partition with the installer provided in the package files Snow_Support_Files_V2.3

The bootloader loaded but when I launched SnowLeo, there was a kernel panic (the one described in the reversed picture...)

So I booted again from the DVD and I removed the Boot file in the EFI partition to replace it by the one in the DVD Boot123. I also copied the /Extra/Extentions folder from preboot.dmg in the the root of the EFI partition. I removed the two JMICRON kext (I understand-certainly wrongly- from my readings that it may be the cause of the OSROM kernel panic)

Now, I can boot by 10.6.4 Snow Leopard install directly from the HDD (with -v -f flag). For now, minimal graphic, no audio, no built-in ethernet. Issue with the wifi card, which is recognized as airport, after some time, the connection just drop and there is now way to reconnect (connection time out), except by rebooting.

In the first instance, I tried to modify the com.apple.boot.plist to inlcude the GraphicsEnabler but its not taken into account at system startup.

I know its really a dirty install, and I will follow your advice. I just need to retrieve my Leopard DVD... and print out your guide!!!

(The lazy little voice will just ask: is it mandatory to install first Leopard? or is it possible to fix things with my already installed system? ;) )

Thank you again for you help and your patience!!!

Valyno

It depends how closely your current system set matches that in the guide..........but if you want to use EFI graphics strings and do not have it already and need to generate it, then a Leopard installation is required as explained in post #1..........

It depends how closely your current system set matches that in the guide..........but if you want to use EFI graphics strings and do not have it already and need to generate it, then a Leopard installation is required as explained in post #1..........

Ok, thank you for your reply.

I will take the time to do things as you describe and will let you know if I succeed!!!

Hey Verdant. Sorry for the delay, I was busy. I got iATKOS v7 installed, I got my EFI strings for my video card and patched the DSDT. NVinject worked well with my videocard (of course I still want my EFI strings instead), it even slowed down the fan. Now I want to install the retail Snow Leopard. I formatted my USB flash drive (according to the guide), installed chameleon RC4, restored my retail image onto the flash drive, put the necessary kexts, and placed the patched DSDT.aml file in the root of my flash drive. When I boot I use: -v arch=i386 EHCIacquire=yes cpus=1 maxmem=2048.

If I use EHCIacquire=yes I get the message: "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata" and if I don't use that flag I get EHCI errors and get "Still Waiting For Root Device".

Help? lol

Edit: Is there a way to use Chameleon off the USB flash drive, but boot the retail DVD from an actual DVD? I also tried your DVD, nForceSLBoot...

Hey Verdant. Sorry for the delay, I was busy. I got iATKOS v7 installed, I got my EFI strings for my video card and patched the DSDT. NVinject worked well with my videocard (of course I still want my EFI strings instead), it even slowed down the fan. Now I want to install the retail Snow Leopard. I formatted my USB flash drive (according to the guide), installed chameleon RC4, restored my retail image onto the flash drive, put the necessary kexts, and placed the patched DSDT.aml file in the root of my flash drive. When I boot I use: -v arch=i386 EHCIacquire=yes cpus=1 maxmem=2048.

If I use EHCIacquire=yes I get the message: "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata" and if I don't use that flag I get EHCI errors and get "Still Waiting For Root Device".

Help? lol

Edit: Is there a way to use Chameleon off the USB flash drive, but boot the retail DVD from an actual DVD? I also tried your DVD, nForceSLBoot...

You could try the following in sequence:

1. In your BIOS USB settings, try with either all [iSO Queue] OR [non-ISO Queue], rather than mixed........

2. Disable USB Storage Support and/or USB Park Mode in BIOS.......try either first and then both [Disabled] with OnChip USB set as [V1.1 + V2.0]

3. Set OnChip USB to v1.1 in BIOS with USB Storage Support and USB Park Mode [Enabled]

and then try booting without using EHCIacquire=yes

Not sure I understand the what/why of "Is there a way to use Chameleon off the USB flash drive, but boot the retail DVD from an actual DVD? I also tried your DVD, nForceSLBoot..."

BTW the "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata" message is simply a debug output log message from the Chameleon RC3/RC4 bootloader, related to the com.apple.Boot.plist 'device-properties’ string injection..........so, when you put a hex string under device-properties instead of a NULL injection entry for

<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>

it should hopefully disappear..........

You could try the following in sequence:

1. In your BIOS USB settings, try with either all [iSO Queue] OR [non-ISO Queue], rather than mixed........

2. Disable USB Storage Support and/or USB Park Mode in BIOS.......try either first and then both [Disabled] with OnChip USB set as [V1.1 + V2.0]

3. Set OnChip USB to v1.1 in BIOS with USB Storage Support and USB Park Mode [Enabled]

and then try booting without using EHCIacquire=yes

Not sure I understand the what/why of "Is there a way to use Chameleon off the USB flash drive, but boot the retail DVD from an actual DVD? I also tried your DVD, nForceSLBoot..."

BTW the "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata" message is simply a debug output log message from the Chameleon RC3/RC4 bootloader, related to the com.apple.Boot.plist 'device-properties’ string injection..........so, when you put a hex string under device-properties instead of a NULL injection entry for

<key>device-properties</key>
<string></string>

it should hopefully disappear..........

YES! I got Snow Leo Retail installed. I got my EFI Strings working, my nForce ethernet working, resolution, and Chameleon RC4. Now how do I get audio and USB working? I'll see if my sata drive will work with the other kexts from your post...

Oh and by the way "3. Set OnChip USB to v1.1 in BIOS with USB Storage Support and USB Park Mode [Enabled]"

That's what helped me boot into the installer, now I have it set back to normal, 1.1 is really slow lol.

YES! I got Snow Leo Retail installed. I got my EFI Strings working, my nForce ethernet working, resolution, and Chameleon RC4. Now how do I get audio and USB working? I'll see if my sata drive will work with the other kexts from your post...

Oh and by the way "3. Set OnChip USB to v1.1 in BIOS with USB Storage Support and USB Park Mode [Enabled]"

That's what helped me boot into the installer, now I have it set back to normal, 1.1 is really slow lol.

AFAIK your MOBO uses the Realtek ALC888S CODEC...........so, try VoodooHDA first but if that does not work then you need a legacy 888 kext + v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext + a patched DSDT.........see post #2.........

As for a USB fix, try USBBusFix=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.........

Can you use v2.0 in BIOS, if you disable USB Storage Support in BIOS........?

AFAIK your MOBO uses the Realtek ALC888S CODEC...........so, try VoodooHDA first but if that does not work then you need a legacy 888 kext + v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext + a patched DSDT.........see post #2.........

As for a USB fix, try USBBusFix=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.........

Can you use v2.0 in BIOS, if you disable USB Storage Support in BIOS........?

I meant to say that I switched it back to 2.0 in bios. Sound working now with VoodooHDA and the USBBusFix works too. Man, today is a good day! What else do I have to get working, besides my sata drive...? Also, how do I know when a kext goes into /E/E or /S/L/E? For voodoo I used one of the utilities you included to install it and it went into /S/L/E.

I meant to say that I switched it back to 2.0 in bios. Sound working now with VoodooHDA and the USBBusFix works too. Man, today is a good day! What else do I have to get working, besides my sata drive...? Also, how do I know when a kext goes into /E/E or /S/L/E? For voodoo I used one of the utilities you included to install it and it went into /S/L/E.

Some kexts appear to only work in /S/L/E because they need to be able to 'locate and load' their kext dependancies (which need to be known).........but they should work if installed in /E/E/ together with their kext dependancies.........nForceLAN.kext and VoodooHDA being two examples.........

For example, for VoodooHDA, you need IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext installed in /E/E/ as well as VoodooHDA.kext.......but may also need to set these three kexts' and their (if any) PlugIn kexts' Info.plist file OSBundleRequired property to “Root”........and then reset the kexts' ownership and permissions in /E/E/ and /S/L/E/ using (as explained in many of my previous posts)

sudo chown -R root:wheel 
sudo chmod -R 755

and then reboot with -v -f............

Hence, installing VoodooHDA in /S/L/E/ is the simpler option.......

Whereas AppleNForceATA.kext for driving the SATA controller can go in /E/E/ on its own...........as can the legacy (i.e. Info.plist-only) audio kext........

Some kexts appear to only work in /S/L/E because they need to be able to 'locate and load' their kext dependancies (which need to be known).........but they should work if installed in /E/E/ together with their kext dependancies.........nForceLAN.kext and VoodooHDA being two examples.........

For example, for VoodooHDA, you need IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext installed in /E/E/ as well as VoodooHDA.kext.......but may also need to set these three kexts' and their (if any) PlugIn kexts' Info.plist file OSBundleRequired property to “Root”........and then reset the kexts' ownership and permissions in /E/E/ and /S/L/E/ using (as explained in many of my previous posts)

sudo chown -R root:wheel 
sudo chmod -R 755

and then reboot with -v -f............

Hence, installing VoodooHDA in /S/L/E/ is the simpler option.......

Whereas AppleNForceATA.kext for driving the SATA controller can go in /E/E/ on its own...........as can the legacy (i.e. Info.plist-only) audio kext........

Okay, I get this whole kext business now. So what else should I be doing? The only thing that doesn't work is my SATA Drive and I guess sleep (which you said doesn't work.) Also, how can I get Chameleon to autoboot instead of clicking enter every time.

Are there any other things I should do to my installation?

One thing that I noticed was that whenever I pick my resolution I get a blue screen and then I have to reboot since I can't do anything. But after I reboot it's all good with the resolution change...why does it do that?

Okay, I get this whole kext business now. So what else should I be doing? The only thing that doesn't work is my SATA Drive and I guess sleep (which you said doesn't work.) Also, how can I get Chameleon to autoboot instead of clicking enter every time.

Are there any other things I should do to my installation?

One thing that I noticed was that whenever I pick my resolution I get a blue screen and then I have to reboot since I can't do anything. But after I reboot it's all good with the resolution change...why does it do that?

1. Clarify what you mean by "only thing that doesn't work is my SATA Drive"

2. Do you mean clicking on the HDD boot volume icon in the Chameleon bootloader screen?

3. Re the resolution change.........you get the blue screen because OS X is getting confused over which is your primary display port.........it is related to your NVCAP value.........the NVCAP value determines the order of your graphics card's video ports.......it will be inside your EFI graphics string , or inside your inject.kext Info.plist........so your NVCAP value is probably not correct for your graphics card...........

Although the primary port is usually the one closest to the motherboard, this is not always the case........so before editing your NVCAP value, swap your display connector cable to the other port on your graphics card.......

1. Clarify what you mean by "only thing that doesn't work is my SATA Drive"

2. Do you mean clicking on the HDD boot volume icon in the Chameleon bootloader screen?

3. Re the resolution change.........you get the blue screen because OS X is getting confused over which is your primary display port.........it is related to your NVCAP value.........the NVCAP value determines the order of your graphics card's video ports.......it will be inside your EFI graphics string , or inside your inject.kext Info.plist........so your NVCAP value is probably not correct for your graphics card...........

Although the primary port is usually the one closest to the motherboard, this is not always the case........so before editing your NVCAP value, swap your display connector cable to the other port on your graphics card.......

1. I am using AppleNforce.slash, I can eject and close my drive from within Mac but I can't read any cds/dvds and sometimes it gives me a pop up saying you have inserted a blank cd.

2. Yes in the bootloader, when I had iATKOS it would have a little blue loading bar and it would load mac automatically unless I pressed a key to stop the loading.

3. I'll try switching to my other port.

1. I am using AppleNforce.slash, I can eject and close my drive from within Mac but I can't read any cds/dvds and sometimes it gives me a pop up saying you have inserted a blank cd.

2. Yes in the bootloader, when I had iATKOS it would have a little blue loading bar and it would load mac automatically unless I pressed a key to stop the loading.

3. I'll try switching to my other port.

Reply to:

1. If you are using a SATA DVDRW then you will have problems reading/writing CDs and DVDs.......if you use MeDevil's AppleNforceATA.kext, then you will be able to read CDs and DVDs but probably not burn them......the only problem is that with this kext you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist, i.e. you cannot access more than 3GB RAM.......

If you want to read/write CDs and DVDs without problem, then you will need to use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and connected to your MOBO as Master........

2. Modify your com.apple.Boot.plist file by including these two entries:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

"The entry above makes Chameleon use quiet boot mode (no messages or prompt)"

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(X,Y)</string>

"The entry above sets the default boot volume, where X is the disk (i.e. HDD) number and Y the partition (i.e. volume) number"

Find out X and Y for your OS X volume by typing in Terminal

diskutil list

Reply to:

1. If you are using a SATA DVDRW then you will have problems reading/writing CDs and DVDs.......if you use MeDevil's AppleNforceATA.kext, then you will be able to read CDs and DVDs but probably not burn them......the only problem is that with this kext you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist, i.e. you cannot access more than 3GB RAM.......

If you want to read/write CDs and DVDs without problem, then you will need to use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and connected to your MOBO as Master........

2. Modify your com.apple.Boot.plist file by including these two entries:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

"The entry above makes Chameleon use quiet boot mode (no messages or prompt)"

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(X,Y)</string>

"The entry above sets the default boot volume, where X is the disk (i.e. HDD) number and Y the partition (i.e. volume) number"

Find out X and Y for your OS X volume by typing in Terminal

diskutil list

You were right the dvi port closer to the mobo is the 1st one and I don't have problems now. I had it in the second for some reason... I also setup that quiet boot and it works quite well. Now I just gotta find a pata dvd burner. When I use just a pata drive should is it okay if I use slashhack's kext or should I use the original AppleNforce?

What should I use to monitor my temps? I have my cpu overclocked and am getting some pretty high temps using istat pro... I never got temps that high when I had Windows...I'm guessing that it's wrong?

You were right the dvi port closer to the mobo is the 1st one and I don't have problems now. I had it in the second for some reason... I also setup that quiet boot and it works quite well. Now I just gotta find a pata dvd burner. When I use just a pata drive should is it okay if I use slashhack's kext or should I use the original AppleNforce?

What should I use to monitor my temps? I have my cpu overclocked and am getting some pretty high temps using istat pro... I never got temps that high when I had Windows...I'm guessing that it's wrong?

For 32bit mode, use slashack's AppleNForceATA kext, or AnV's updated version of it (both in Snow_Support_Files_V2.3)......

Try Bresink's Temperature Monitor........also see post#1 about new fakesmc by slice et al. for temperature/fan speed monitoring (use correct TJmax value in correct Info.plist file for your CPU)........

For 32bit mode, use slashack's AppleNForceATA kext, or AnV's updated version of it (both in Snow_Support_Files_V2.3)......

Try Bresink's Temperature Monitor........also see post#1 about new fakesmc by slice et al. for temperature/fan speed monitoring (use correct TJmax value in correct Info.plist file for your CPU)........

I got my TJmax set correctly now, I've been using fakesmc 2.5 from the start...I've noticed that randomly my USB keyboard and mouse stop working, and then I have to reboot. It happened a few times already...why?

I got my TJmax set correctly now, I've been using fakesmc 2.5 from the start...I've noticed that randomly my USB keyboard and mouse stop working, and then I have to reboot. It happened a few times already...why?

My guess is that since OS X has difficulty taking control of your USB controller from the BIOS, even with USBBusFix=Yes, you are likely to experience the occasional glitches with your USB keyboard and mouse.......

In System Profiler, under USB do you see "Host Controller Location: Built-in USB", or not?

My guess is that since OS X has difficulty taking control of your USB controller from the BIOS, even with USBBusFix=Yes, you are likely to experience the occasional glitches with your USB keyboard and mouse.......

In System Profiler, under USB do you see "Host Controller Location: Built-in USB", or not?

Yes it says "Built-in USB"

Before I did the USBBusFix my keyboard and mouse was working (don't know if it would freeze though since I didn't have it on long enough), but the only thing that wasn't working was things like my flash drive, until I did the USBBusFix, then it worked. I usually get the freezing after about 30min of usage, also If I have music playing it continues and sometimes it starts to get distorted. At first I thought that my overclock was causing my CPU to get too hot, but I put it back at stock and I have the same problem...

It's weird, when it freezes, the music continues, but I happened to be installing a program once when it froze and the installation froze too...with the music still playing. My keyboard and mouse still have the lights on when it freezes too. Should I switch to the "old" PS/2?

Yes it says "Built-in USB"

Before I did the USBBusFix my keyboard and mouse was working (don't know if it would freeze though since I didn't have it on long enough), but the only thing that wasn't working was things like my flash drive, until I did the USBBusFix, then it worked. I usually get the freezing after about 30min of usage, also If I have music playing it continues and sometimes it starts to get distorted. At first I thought that my overclock was causing my CPU to get too hot, but I put it back at stock and I have the same problem...

It's weird, when it freezes, the music continues, but I happened to be installing a program once when it froze and the installation froze too...with the music still playing. My keyboard and mouse still have the lights on when it freezes too. Should I switch to the "old" PS/2?

1. PS/2 is not naturally supported by OS X so all drivers are hacked drivers

2. How many USB devices do you have plugged in all the time along with your USB keyboard and USB mouse?

3. Put debug=0x144 in com.plle.Boot.plist to see if it catches any panic during use.........despite my question in 2. my guess is that USB is the symptom not the cause.........I suspect VoodooHDA.......

4. See here........there may be a SL patched AppleHDA for 888 or a SL Legacy 888 kext that may work for you.......

1. PS/2 is not naturally supported by OS X so all drivers are hacked drivers

2. How many USB devices do you have plugged in all the time along with your USB keyboard and USB mouse?

3. Put debug=0x144 in com.plle.Boot.plist to see if it catches any panic during use.........despite my question in 2. my guess is that USB is the symptom not the cause.........I suspect VoodooHDA.......

4. See here........there may be a SL patched AppleHDA for 888 or a SL Legacy 888 kext that may work for you.......

Where would I get the debug output when I get a kernel panic? I'll also look into the patched AppleHDA.

Where would I get the debug output when I get a kernel panic? I'll also look into the patched AppleHDA.

It should display a debug message screen right there in your Desktop when the system freezes......if you get no output with a freeze, you can try debug=0x100 instead.......