[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

I've changed arch=i386 to arch=x86_64 in script files. Then SL stops booting:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC

Do I have to do something else to boot SL with 64-bit kernel?

It won't work by mod the install script. If you want to boot into 64bit mode, you need to mod the com.apple.Boot.plist that the MacLoader installed to the hidden efi partition and delete the Extension.mkext, then run the Kext Utility to rebuilt a new Extension.mkext. Note you can find and download Kext Utility 2.3 from one of the Insanemac's forum, use the search feature. There also is a post about this mod in this thread in a couple page back.

Hmm... it seems you don't absolutely right. I changed a line with kextcache in a script file so it packs kexts in 64-bit mode and then SL booted!

It is nice to know that you get it to work that way, I tried that but it didn't work for me.

Ok I'm going to wipe the drive and start over. Seems like no matter what I try, I still get the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext timeout. Could my system work on 10.5.8 perfectly, but not on SL because of the hardware? Is that possible? If not, then it really is something I'm doing wrong in the config/install/setup.

Pauly

xtort, you have too many useless kexts. Some are obsolete and others are not needed with simple DSDT edit. Look for DSDT guides for your board and apply them as eplained. I'll point out some of the kexts which IMHO you don't need.

AppleRTC.kext - not needed with Device (RTC) edited - see first post of this tread

Disabler.kext - it can be edited to disable various original kexts. i do not know what you are using it for. i don't and it's ok.

dsmos.kext - it's either this kext or fakesmc.kext, but not both of them. nowadays dsmos.kext is regarded as obsolete and fakesmc 2.5 is used instead.

fakesmc.kext - emulates SMC chip found on original Mac boards. It's very important !

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If you have edited properly Device (HPET) and CPU section in your DSDT it's not needed. Otherwise leave it !

PlatformUUID.kext - not needed with Chameleon RC4.

Yes, i know that are differences from one system to another, but try only five kexts included in the guide and see what happens. You can update them later easily.

ViseMoD, this is because SL (and boot.plist of this guide) is configured to start in 32bit mode by default. For 64bit mode start with arch=x86_64 flag.

I tried this method on my HP DC7700 desktop, the bios does not have an option for ACHI so I looked at using Netkas AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and edited the dvice id. added the kext and ran updater. USB boots but I still don't see my SATA drives only the USB.

currently running iDeneb 10.5.8 and all is working.

Any ideas ?

hi there,

i did try to make this work but i am not able to boot.

Chamelon starts up then a quick short line on the upper left corner (something with injector.. too fas to read)

and then it restarts.

I do have an older Medion MD8800 PC. Leopard 10.5.8 is running fine with no issues.

I did create the DSDT aml File, added all kext and so on.

I am not quite sure if it is related to ACHI mode which my BIOS does not have a special setting for it.

The board description just stated that there is an automatic ACHI mode.

Anybody any idea why it just wont boot.

i would apriciate any suggestions.

sorry for my german english hope good enough to be understandable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Help please.

I followed the guide to install SL on my DP35DP, it seems that everything goes well except that I can not connect to the Internet.

The system recognizes the ethernet card Intel82566 but I'm not connected to the Internet.

Does anyone know give me a hint?

Thanks to all and sorry for my English.

Maxrib

Help please.

I followed the guide to install SL on my DP35DP, it seems that everything goes well except that I can not connect to the Internet.

The system recognizes the ethernet card Intel82566 but I'm not connected to the Internet.

Does anyone know give me a hint?

Thanks to all and sorry for my English.

Maxrib

I don't know for sure but you can try this: use manual IP then under DNS setting use a Public DNS number Like: 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1 or 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 and see if that help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all;

I've just begun the process to trying to upgrade my GA-EP35-DS3L to run Snow Leopard. However when getting to part 3, 3_MacLoader the kext cache is never created and I get a kernel panic on reboot. Debugging the shell script seems to suggest that there's an issue with kextcache authenticating the included kexts?

I get the following in the kextcache.log file:

xcaxfakesmc.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
OpenHaltRestart.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
PlatformUUID.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
Sleepenabler.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.
No kexts found for architecture i386; skipping architecture.
No mkext archives created.

I'm running version 0.4 of MacLoader. Has anyone else had this issue? I can't see why this would just happen for me if the kexts are at fault?

I'll continue to poke around but if anyone's got any suggestions that would be great!

Cheers

Gavin

Interesting.....

I was running the scripts from the USB drive I used to install Snow Leopard, I just tried running them from the downloads dir of the new Snow Leopard install and it worked!

Files are all identical? Maybe there's something in the way that USB drives are mounted that the kext cache util doesn't like?

Anyway, now I'm off to try and get all my hardware working....

Finally took the plunge and installed SL with this guide.

Had trouble booting with my installed drive, found out that 3_Macloader wasn't patching successfully, and this workaround solved it:

or u may also try erasing/renaming your "MacLoader" partition (aka "MacLoader 1") to anything, say Booter then edit the line 43 of macloader.sh inside the ScriptFiles folder to wit:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "SnowLeoBooter" /dev/disk${DISKNUMBER}s$PARTITIONNUMBER > /dev/null

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "SnowLeoBooter" /dev/disk${DISKNUMBER}s$PARTITIONNUMBER > /dev/null

change "MacLoader" to "SnowLeoBooter" or any other name you like but give it a name w/out any [space].

Well, actually my first solution was to just copy the Extra folder from the USB "leoinstaller" drive to my installed drive, and it seemed to work as I was able to boot from my drive without problems.

Excuse me but I've got a question:

This guide is very good and it worked on one of my computers. But today I tried to install SL on another PC with similar configuration.

Everything works fine, installation runs through. After complete install I can boot the fresh installed SL from the USB Stick (where the SL Install-files are stored on).

Then I tried to open the file "3_MacLoader". Answered "n" (or do I have to set it up in the EFI-partition?) and entered my password.

But now if I try to boot from my Macintosh HD with the installed MacLoader after about 2 seconds I always get a kernel panic (it shows something about unsupported processor in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext). By the way, I'm trying to install it on an ASUS P5L-VM 1394 with Celeron 430.

Does anybody know a solution for this? The strange thing is, that I still can boot the SL if I choose this HDD in the Chameleon Bootloader on the SL Install-USB-Stick :S

I've already set it up on another PC but I don't know what I made different on that other machine ;_;

I made a nearly perfect installation of SL using this method but I think I played a little too much with some kexts and now I have a KP even using -x -s at boot time. Is there a way to remove a kext from the EFI partition using the installation USB drive and the terminal or any other tool there?

Regards

I tried making an update to 10.6.2 and now I receive a "Mismatch between kernel and cpu pm" and I don't know how to resolve it. It's impossible to do a search on the board and I really need it. My system was a totally vanilla installation with less than 10 extensions in the EFI partition. Can anyone help me? I can place the drive in a USB box and I have access to another mac if I need to move some kexts around.

Regards

Hi ive been trying to install retail snow leopard on a dell studio one 19 with myHack http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/ but I keep getting it cant install support files but i look in the installer log and it says there is a problem with migration assistant and ive looked on the net and people say that if you copy it to a memory stick it works but it was already on a memory stick so i dont see what the problem is someone plz help

• 1 month later...
The first part isn't clear for me. What should I do with DSDT.aml after patching?

Thats it. If you check the DSDT_Patcher folder/Tools, after it finished patching, you will find the dsdt-fixed.dsl in there. just proceed to the next step. Good luck.

Thats it. If you check the DSDT_Patcher folder/Tools, after it finished patching, you will find the dsdt-fixed.dsl in there. just proceed to the next step. Good luck.

Thank you for your answer.

What could be wrong if I'm stuck on apple logo while booting from usb drive?