[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

Okay I followed the guide, and I can't get my 8GB USB key to start Snowleopard. My USB blinks twice (as if looking for a start-up file), then nothing.

I took my time to put 2 pictures up of where the problem might persist.

So whats wrong ?!

DSDT.png

I used an app called DSDTSE (for Mac). It has info about fixing those compile errors. It's manual work, but I was able to make the necessary changes so my DSDT would compile without errors or warnings.

I don't recall where I got the app from, sorry.

I used an app called DSDTSE (for Mac). It has info about fixing those compile errors. It's manual work, but I was able to make the necessary changes so my DSDT would compile without errors or warnings.

I don't recall where I got the app from, sorry.

If you do a search for DSDT Patcher you will find it, the problem is, that utility is very complex, so it is not everyone understand and know how to use it, if you know how it work, it is a very useful application, you can do all sort of thing with it. I have a hard time try to use it myself.

thanks for the tutorial :)

the only thing i don't like is the shiny apple logo at boot

please tell me how to enable the legacy logo so that i dont have to type Legacy Logo=Yes everytime

i know it should be some modification to boot.plist but i have installed macloader in the efi partition and it is hidden

thanks

For those having issues getting the DSDT file to compile, open it in the text editor and looc at the very top of the file. If there are 1 or two error lines, *that* is wat it's crashing on. Delete the error lines and the DSDT file shoud compile.

I am 99% there. I don't have graphics working but I didn't install NVInject and I cannot get sleep to work.

I only added 1 kext file to the kext folder and that was VoodooHDA to get sound working.

I have seen people installing several kexts and I didn't do them....should I have these in there? I would assume sleepenabler will fix my sleep issue.

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

I am 99% there. I don't have graphics working but I didn't install NVInject and I cannot get sleep to work.

I only added 1 kext file to the kext folder and that was VoodooHDA to get sound working.

I have seen people installing several kexts and I didn't do them....should I have these in there? I would assume sleepenabler will fix my sleep issue.

fakesmc.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

I am not an expert but i know that the sleep will not work properly until you have your graphic works correctly, also if you add kexts to the kext folder in MacLoader and run the update from there , it will install those kexts to the EFI partition ( a hidden partition) only and left your SL Volume untouched, that is what i like about this installing method VS other method. I hope this explanation will help you on your decision whether to add those kexts or not.

Need a little help...

After getting Leopard to run without issue from a iDeneb install, I decided to try this method of SL on another partition.

The installer boots fine, but I can't see my disks in disk utility. Doesn't make sense to me as I had no problem with Leopard. Am I missing a kext? I tried in both IDE and AHCI mode with same results.

Need a little help...

After getting Leopard to run without issue from a iDeneb install, I decided to try this method of SL on another partition.

The installer boots fine, but I can't see my disks in disk utility. Doesn't make sense to me as I had no problem with Leopard. Am I missing a kext? I tried in both IDE and AHCI mode with same results.

Is it on the same drive which the Leopard is on ?, if so, is it partition as GUID Partition ? if it is not then that is your problem.

Alright this 8400GS 512mb is the bane of my existence. How the hell did Psystar get it to work. I have all the resolutions, sleep works, and I am good right? Wrong.....no QE/CI. If I boot from the Chameleon bootloader it's not working if I boot from the DUBL then it works.

Nevermind about the video.....I gave up on NVinject and gave NVEnabler a shot....it worked like a champ!!!!! QE/CI all resolutions...sleep works....I am happy

Only 1 issue left.....the sound is not great. It is very staticy (if that is a word). I have sound using VoodooHDA but not clean.

Is it on the same drive which the Leopard is on ?, if so, is it partition as GUID Partition ? if it is not then that is your problem.

Thanks, macusers.

The answer was "yes" to both your questions.

Anyway, where I installed leopard in a IDE setup, I've just wiped everything and started fresh with a AHCI setup (The options were confusing in my BIOS, just figured I out I could do this).

So, I'm going to run the guide again and see if the above made a difference.

Thanks, again ;)

Thanks, macusers.

The answer was "yes" to both your questions.

Anyway, where I installed leopard in a IDE setup, I've just wiped everything and started fresh with a AHCI setup (The options were confusing in my BIOS, just figured I out I could do this).

So, I'm going to run the guide again and see if the above made a difference.

Thanks, again :blowup:

Try clean install then if you need to add any kext, don't ad them to System/Extensions folder( leave it clean) just put the kexts which you want to add in the Kexts folder in MacLoader_04 then run the update script from there that way you leave your SL Volume untouched. Good luck.

Try clean install then if you need to add any kext, don't ad them to System/Extensions folder( leave it clean) just put the kexts which you want to add in the Kexts folder in MacLoader_04 then run the update script from there that way you leave your SL Volume untouched. Good luck.

Got it :(

I had to put a AHCIPortinjector.kext into the loader. That may not have been the best one as the installer didn't see all my drives, but it saw the one I wanted. SL sees everything properly after boot, though.

Anyway, booted up and everything seems to work with only the above kext and nvinjector. However, I can't seem to shut down or restart without it hanging, I'll try to trouble shoot that.

alright I am officially done. Swapped out VoodooHDA with AppleAzalia and it fixed all my issues. Now I want to figure out what I did.

time to read up on dsdt files and efi partitions

One quick question though.....if I wanted to add a kext or update a kext do I need to just run updater or do I need to run MacLoader?

alright I am officially done. Swapped out VoodooHDA with AppleAzalia and it fixed all my issues. Now I want to figure out what I did.

time to read up on dsdt files and efi partitions

One quick question though.....if I wanted to add a kext or update a kext do I need to just run updater or do I need to run MacLoader?

I think either one will do but if you use MacLoader it will ask you to specify the drive where the SL is, on the other hand if you run the update it just do it on the default drive. so you can do whatever you prefer.

I'm about to jump in on this upgrade, using this guide. I haven't done an update since 10.5.2, so I'm not exactly sure what has changed or a whole lot about the scene. I think the most important thing to ask is that does this guide assume that you are running Chameleon already? It looks like it boots to that after the Snow Leopard install, but is that something that is added after you have ghosted over the install disk and run the scripts, or is this something that is assumed to be done before this guide is even started?

I've never done this with a DSDT either, so I'm pretty worried about that step too.

no it doesn't assume chameleon is installed.....when you set up the flash drive it will have chameleon installed on it.

You will install Snow Leopard on a drive...then boot from chameleon on the flash drive....When it reboots chameleon will pop up and you will then press a button on the keyboard....you should then see the new install and the install DVD. Select the new SL install and it should boot up.

From there you run step 4 and it creates the EFI partition and installs chameleon on the SL drive.

This worked great for me with one small problem. When I boot into the SNOWhdd harddrive, I keep getting the following message and it hangs

waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I have three sata drives in the ASUS P5B-E, Windows 7, Leopard 10.5.8 (works flawlessly) and SNOW.

I can access the SNOWhdd from the Leopardhdd, so what do I need to change in order to get it to boot past this message? I've searched the forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive cure (naturally one size doesn't fit all in hackOSX). Will fakeSMC fix this? I thought that was only for monitoring CPU temp? Will removing the appleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext fix it? Should I replace it with a different kext?

Here are the kext that I currently have loaded in S/L/E.

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

ATAPortInejctor.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

This worked great for me with one small problem. When I boot into the SNOWhdd harddrive, I keep getting the following message and it hangs

waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I have three sata drives in the ASUS P5B-E, Windows 7, Leopard 10.5.8 (works flawlessly) and SNOW.

I can access the SNOWhdd from the Leopardhdd, so what do I need to change in order to get it to boot past this message? I've searched the forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive cure (naturally one size doesn't fit all in hackOSX). Will fakeSMC fix this? I thought that was only for monitoring CPU temp? Will removing the appleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext fix it? Should I replace it with a different kext?

Here are the kext that I currently have loaded in S/L/E.

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

ATAPortInejctor.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Play around with your bios, specially with sata controller and hpet.

Set sata controller to AHCI instaed of RAID

Set HPET to disable or Versus.

xtort, you have too many useless kexts. Some are obsolete and others are not needed with simple DSDT edit. Look for DSDT guides for your board and apply them as eplained. I'll point out some of the kexts which IMHO you don't need.

AppleRTC.kext - not needed with Device (RTC) edited - see first post of this tread

Disabler.kext - it can be edited to disable various original kexts. i do not know what you are using it for. i don't and it's ok.

dsmos.kext - it's either this kext or fakesmc.kext, but not both of them. nowadays dsmos.kext is regarded as obsolete and fakesmc 2.5 is used instead.

fakesmc.kext - emulates SMC chip found on original Mac boards. It's very important !

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If you have edited properly Device (HPET) and CPU section in your DSDT it's not needed. Otherwise leave it !

PlatformUUID.kext - not needed with Chameleon RC4.

Yes, i know that are differences from one system to another, but try only five kexts included in the guide and see what happens. You can update them later easily.

ViseMoD, this is because SL (and boot.plist of this guide) is configured to start in 32bit mode by default. For 64bit mode start with arch=x86_64 flag.

ViseMoD, this is because SL (and boot.plist of this guide) is configured to start in 32bit mode by default. For 64bit mode start with arch=x86_64 flag.

I've changed arch=i386 to arch=x86_64 in script files. Then SL stops booting:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC

Do I have to do something else to boot SL with 64-bit kernel?