[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

Oh, YES !!! I DID IT !!!

It was really Palit Radeon 4870 the thing that was causing problems. I solved it by simply building kext cache with EVOEnabler.kext. It Worked !!! Not only i was able to install SL but I had native resolution throughout the whole installation process. Seems the card works out of the box with this kext.

Whoever build it - THANK YOU !!! And last but not least i'd like to thank MACinized for the great guide which once again did the job !

Now the most interesting thing about my installation is that i do not need busratio=20 flag. In fact it is causing problems when added to boot.plist...

Full system specs:

DFI LP UT X58 T3eH8

Core i7 920 @ 3,74 GHz

Palit Radeon 4870 1 GB Sonic 1 DVI, 1 D-Sub, 2 HDMI

3x2 GB OCZ DDR3 1560 MHz

Realtek HD Audio ALC889

250GB Hitachi

640GB Western Digital

Kerr

My spec is Intel DG31PR MoBo, ATI X1950 GT Pro 256mb, 4gb Ram, 80gb SATA HD. This install method works as described until it comes to rebooting after running 3_Macloader, it hangs on a light gray screen with an apple logo and spinning wheel.

Any ideas? Is it perhaps the ATI card? Is there anything I can try?

Andrew

Kerr

My spec is Intel DG31PR MoBo, ATI X1950 GT Pro 256mb, 4gb Ram, 80gb SATA HD. This install method works as described until it comes to rebooting after running 3_Macloader, it hangs on a light gray screen with an apple logo and spinning wheel.

Any ideas? Is it perhaps the ATI card? Is there anything I can try?

Andrew

You can find out what cause it to hang by boot up with " -V ".

First double clicked on 1_GetDSDT and all I get is:

ACPI contains 7 values

Failed to get DSDT

Could not open input file dsdt.dat

cp: dsdt.dsl: No such file or directory.

This is a 10.5.6 install with everything working, including PCMCIA slot etc.!

:)

Hi,

Maybe your installation had a "DSDT fix". I had the same problem on my iPC installation. I had to re install leopard without that fix.

Good luck,

Comodin.

I have a question for you experts :)

My computer is a EP35-DS4 /w 8800GT, and right now running 10.5.5 somewhat troublefree with all Adobe Aps.

Will this installation guide, make my system run smoothly (Core Image Support etc.) and able to run alle Adobe Products ? Also I use Skype a lot so sound/microphone has to be working as well.

Hope someone can answer me :D

EDIT: I just took the first few steps and got an error in the patching/compiling

./dsdt_fixed.txt 222: Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)

Warning 1080 - ^ Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)

./dsdt_fixed.txt 285: Store (Local0, Local0)

Error 4050 - ^ Method local variable is not initialized (Local0)

./dsdt_fixed.txt 290: Store (Local0, Local0)

Error 4050 - ^ Method local variable is not initialized (Local0)

ASL Input: ./dsdt_fixed.txt - 5586 lines, 186888 bytes, 2335 keywords

AML Output: ./dsdt.aml - 17942 bytes, 658 named objects, 1677 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 640 Optimizations

You can find out what cause it to hang by boot up with " -V ".

Thanks,

It seems to be hanging on network address - see attached screenshot. Sorry the photo is not too clear.

I haven't a clue what that means! ;)

Any ideas?

C

post-460259-1259254575_thumb.jpg

Macusers

I'm totally new to this thing....how do I boot up with -V ?

ta :)

when it is booting up,you will see the progress bar is loading, hit Enter(Return button on the Mac keyboard) then type -v then hit enter. read a couple last lines to find the cause.

Check your bios setting make sure it match to the Author guide, and also make sure your dive is 1st priority boot device.

One more thing, when you run 3-Macloader where it ask to enter time ?, you have to enter at least 1 second, if you leave it blank it won't boot.

Well i finally had some time to look at 64bit sound issue i was having and found a fix

i downloaded the voodooHDA.kext from here

and just dragged it into kext utility and i now have sound.

i know there is an issue with scratchy sound after waking from sleep a reboot fixes it.

if anyone has a better solution please let me know.

Well i finally had some time to look at 64bit sound issue i was having and found a fix

i downloaded the voodooHDA.kext from here

and just dragged it into kext utility and i now have sound.

i know there is an issue with scratchy sound after waking from sleep a reboot fixes it.

if anyone has a better solution please let me know.

Thanks for the link. it works except after wake up from sleep, i try to modify my extension.mkext by adding this VoodooHDA to it but I get KP on reboot. I saw an article on how to fix this issue somewhere in the forum, but can't remember exactly where.

curnsie,

Waiting for DSMOS.... - that's your problem, though it doesn't stops right after it.

After countless times of KPs i realized that if i do the guide from a location other than my Desktop, the Extra folder and Extensions.mkext are never created ! This leads to vital kexts (fakesmc and other) are not used at all. That's why i was getting Waiting for DSMOS... some months ago and wrongly thought that i need dsmos.kext. Is this a script issue or is just some kind of exception, i don't know. MACinized should throw light into this.

So, curnsie, go back to your Sl installation using USB stick as start up, copy your MacLoader_SL folder to Desktop (be sure to have all kexts in KEXT folder) and run 3_Macloader from there. Don't forget to give 5 seconds for waiting.

About your card - there are working SL drivers with QE support for 1950 Pro. Check ATI Drivers section for them.

Okay I followed the guide, and I can't get my 8GB USB key to start Snowleopard. My USB blinks twice (as if looking for a start-up file), then nothing.

I took my time to put 2 pictures up of where the problem might persist.

So whats wrong ?!

DSDT.png

Unklemac, and everybody whose system hangs during boot - boot with -v, take a picture and post it. It is much clearer for us to see where the problem is.

Back to the pictures you posted - dsdt was compiled with 2 errors which is not good. People say that it should be done without any.

Something from personal experience which may be useful for you - My DFI board refuses to boot with GUID formated USB drive, but with GUID HDD has no problems. I formated USB with MBR and everything was OK. Seems like SL can be restored on MBR drives, but must be installed only on GUID ones.

I can't get to the installer screen when booting from the usb stick, i just get the grey screen with a mouse pointer and then after a moment a spinning beachball, leaving it on for hours doesn't help.

When it's booting I can see that it loads NVDANV50HAL then my monitor turns of and then on again and after a moment i get the grey screen. I've tried editing the com.apple.boot.plist with the GFX string thing for my gtx 260, that doesn't help. Removing all the nvidia and geforce related kexts from the usb stick just makes it go to the grey screen a little faster.

PC specs:

MB: Asus P5QL Pro (DSDT modded bios)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

GPU: Nvidia GTX 260

RAM: 4GB

1x SATA HDD

1x SATA DVD-drive

1x IDE HDD (The one i'm planning to install this on)

I also have the AppleInterPIIXATA kext and kexts for audio on network in my KEXTs folder. Could this be what's preventing the installer from working? I'm getting tired of trying things because I have to use the iPC LIVEDVD because Leopard won't work either (I can install it though)

kerr: Your right! Here comes a picture when I boot with -v. I did try the MBR partition and it did the same, so I believe the problem lies in the very first steps before installation.

macusers: Good observation. I did choose to have the extension .dsl at the end when I did the "get DSDT" and edited in Textedit. And the file has .dsl at the end too when I double checked, so I am not sure why it comes up as .txt ?

Now for the screenshot

snow.png

Unklemac, 64bit mode enabled - this is it !

Enabling SL's 64bit mode is very tricky and requires special versions of the kexts with 64bit support, in this case SleepEnabler.kext is the problem i think. I myself get KPs too, but this is another story.

So all you have to do is install SL in 32bit mode by booting with either arch=x86 or -x86 or -x32 option. One of them should work it depends on if you're using Chameleon or PC EFI. I'm using PC EFI 10.5 and arch=x86 works for me. Later you can try 64bit mode.

Or check out stell's blog and netkas's site for 64bit kexts and try installing it this way.

EDIT: Ooo, i spotted something else !!! Darwin version 10.2.0 ? This kernel version corresponds to Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Did you accidentally update your system ? Because this is also a problem. Second update of SL is not compatible with existing versions of SleepEnabler.kext, so you need a special version for 10.6.2 which you can find on stell's blog. Also check netka's site for more detailed review of 10.6.2 update.

Good luck !!!

Unklemac, 64bit mode enabled - this is it !

Enabling SL's 64bit mode is very tricky and requires special versions of the kexts with 64bit support, in this case SleepEnabler.kext is the problem i think. I myself get KPs too, but this is another story.

So all you have to do is install SL in 32bit mode by booting with either arch=x86 or -x86 or -x32 option. One of them should work it depends on if you're using Chameleon or PC EFI. I'm using PC EFI 10.5 and arch=x86 works for me. Later you can try 64bit mode.

Or check out stell's blog and netkas's site for 64bit kexts and try installing it this way.

EDIT: Ooo, i spotted something else !!! Darwin version 10.2.0 ? This kernel version corresponds to Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Did you accidentally update your system ? Because this is also a problem. Second update of SL is not compatible with existing versions of SleepEnabler.kext, so you need a special version for 10.6.2 which you can find on stell's blog. Also check netka's site for more detailed review of 10.6.2 update.

Good luck !!!

Thanks a bunch for the fast reply.

I did actually upgrade to 10.6.2, so is that only SleepEnabler.kext that doesn't do well with 10.6.2 or is it this Darwin version ? I am not really sure what Darwin does tbh. Could I remove the SleepEnabler.kext before updating to 10.6.2 and then drop Stell's blog version into extension folder after (if possible) reboot into 10.6.2 ?

Im using Chameleon btw. The whole reason I would ever want 64bit was because my computer had 8GB's ram, and using programs such as Lightroom + Photoshop :P

Thanks a bunch for the fast reply.

I did actually upgrade to 10.6.2, so is that only SleepEnabler.kext that doesn't do well with 10.6.2 or is it this Darwin version ? I am not really sure what Darwin does tbh. Could I remove the SleepEnabler.kext before updating to 10.6.2 and then drop Stell's blog version into extension folder after (if possible) reboot into 10.6.2 ?

Im using Chameleon btw. The whole reason I would ever want 64bit was because my computer had 8GB's ram, and using programs such as Lightroom + Photoshop :P

This KP due to sleepenabler kext, so now what you can do is reboot again from the usb stick and while it booting hit any key to interrupt the booting then select the drive where you SL installed then hit enter to boot up, once you boot up successful, go and download the new sllepenabler kext for 10.6.2 then replace the one in the kext folder with it, then run the 3-Macloader again, now you can reboot from the SL drive. BTW most Adobe App. are Universal 32bit.

curnsie,

Waiting for DSMOS.... - that's your problem, though it doesn't stops right after it.

After countless times of KPs i realized that if i do the guide from a location other than my Desktop, the Extra folder and Extensions.mkext are never created ! This leads to vital kexts (fakesmc and other) are not used at all. That's why i was getting Waiting for DSMOS... some months ago and wrongly thought that i need dsmos.kext. Is this a script issue or is just some kind of exception, i don't know. MACinized should throw light into this.

So, curnsie, go back to your Sl installation using USB stick as start up, copy your MacLoader_SL folder to Desktop (be sure to have all kexts in KEXT folder) and run 3_Macloader from there. Don't forget to give 5 seconds for waiting.

About your card - there are working SL drivers with QE support for 1950 Pro. Check ATI Drivers section for them.

Thanks Kerr,

I'd almost gave up on this! I'll follow your instructions and post how I get on.

Also thanks Macusers for the tip at the 3_Macloader step. I left this blank before...

C

Great!!

Im posting this from my new Snow Leopard hackintosh, with help from this excellent guide and its members. Thanks MACinized!

Thanks Kerr and Macusers - changing the timeout to 5 seconds worked... as simple as that!

Can someone tell me how to get on-board sound working? As I said before I'm a complete noob...

Thanks

C

EDIT: Got sound working with VoodooHDA.

I have made my boot stick etc

Get the Apple Logo and spinning cursor

Then I get a grey screen with a cursor and it just stays there

This happened to me. I fixed it by going into BIOS and 'disabling' harddrive automatic mode under advanced drive configuration. I have an Intel MoBo by the way.

C

This happened to me. I fixed it by going into BIOS and 'disabling' harddrive automatic mode under advanced drive configuration. I have an Intel MoBo by the way.

C

Hi Curnsie,

I also have an Intel Mobo, and had successfully upgraded to 10.6.2. This guide made the trick for me:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1333375

Good luck,

Comodin.